PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Review Request

kayelle_allen
June 17th, 2007, 01:08 PM
If you write a book, the first thing you want someone to do is read it. :biggrin: The next thing is to review it.

Most reviewers want the same kind of information. Title, author, genre, price, etc. Make a review request for each book as it comes along, and you'll have a handy document you can copy and paste into email.

Here's what to include in the master document:

Title:
Author:
Genre:
ISBN:
Publisher:
Heat rating:
Pages:
Cost:
Cover artist:
Link to buy:
Link to cover:
Link to excerpt:
Tag:
Blurb:
Anything unusual or unique:
=================
Remember to change it up a little when you write it. I always use the titles with : at the top part, then for the tag and blurb, omit those and simply put the text. For the anything unusual or unique part, I mention if it's a prequel/sequel, part of a series, or has strong erotic content. I write for the Molten Silver line of Liquid Silver Books, and they require content warnings, so I include those here.

Pay attention to what each review site wants. Some may want only two or three things, some may want more than you have on hand. Also, be sure to offer whatever format of book they are reading, especially if you have more than pdf on hand. Your publisher should provide you with the ISBN and a copy for reviews. If not, ask for them.

=================

Here's a sample (for my current release, Alitus).

Title: Alitus (Tales of the Chosen)
Author: Kayelle Allen
Genre: Erotic Science Fiction Romance
ISBN: 1-59578-323-7
Publisher: Liquid Silver Books
Heat rating: R
Pages: 125
Cost: $5.95
Cover artist: Laura Givens
Published date: March 2007
Buy link: http://www.liquidsilverbooks.com/books/alitus.htm
Cover & Excerpt link: http://www.kayelleallen.com/Excerpt-Alitus.html

Alitus
Tales of the Chosen

Passion. Addiction. Loyalty. Will true love bare its heart forever?

Alitus Vivaldi is a Better, an enhanced human bred for intelligence, discipline, and responsiveness. His combined talents in bed and politics take him from the Conqueror's favorite pleasure slave to her personal assistant. He quickly learns the way to her heart is passion, love, and loyalty. When the empire's political upheaval begins to nibble at her iron fist of control, the Conqueror must strip her favorite of his freedom and rights. To help the Conqueror accomplish her secret agenda, Alitus forsakes his identity and pride, and surrenders himself to his darkest fears. But will what he becomes save the Tarthian Empire and its Conqueror, or rock them both to their crumbling core?

Content: Graphic sex, light bondage, F/F/M menage, M/M sex, male submission, multiple partners, voyeurism, and some damn fine sex in a sleek flying limousine...

This book is a sequel to For Women Only, and Wulf, and the second of a series about the Chosen, a secret society in the Tarthian Empire.

Jude Mason
June 17th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Kayelle, This is a lot like the template I have. A question and maybe others will add their comments on this. Different publishers use different rating systems for their books. Ellora's uses: S ENSUOUS, E ROTIC, X - TREME, Phaze uses a number system: 1 the softest romantic, to 5 hardcore anything goes.

My question, when you send a review request, do you use the publishers rating or 'guess' what it should be rated ie: XXX, R, etc. ?

Jude

Karenne
June 17th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I would love to comment on this one....we receive lots of review requests directly from authors and we actually have a 'comment' section for authors to add their part.

We love (absolutely love) when the authors gives us a little bit of information to let us know what 'type' of book it is. This really helps us to determine which reviewer gets it.

The author, of course, is going to have a more in depth detail on what 'type' of thing is in the book to have it categorized as it is.

So, I would honestly suggest that you put in what is in the book that makes it rated what it is.:teacher:

kayelle_allen
June 17th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I would love to comment on this one....we receive lots of review requests directly from authors and we actually have a 'comment' section for authors to add their part.

We love (absolutely love) when the authors gives us a little bit of information to let us know what 'type' of book it is. This really helps us to determine which reviewer gets it.

The author, of course, is going to have a more in depth detail on what 'type' of thing is in the book to have it categorized as it is.

So, I would honestly suggest that you put in what is in the book that makes it rated what it is.

So the content blurb is helpful for knowing where to assign it? That's good to know! I've been considering a content blurb for my first two books, which, while erotica - are fairly tame compared to the next two. :rockon:

kayelle_allen
June 17th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Kayelle, This is a lot like the template I have. A question and maybe others will add their comments on this. Different publishers use different rating systems for their books. Ellora's uses: S ENSUOUS, E ROTIC, X - TREME, Phaze uses a number system: 1 the softest romantic, to 5 hardcore anything goes.

My question, when you send a review request, do you use the publishers rating or 'guess' what it should be rated ie: XXX, R, etc. ?

Jude

I've used the Movie Ratings guide. :err:

kuroisama
June 17th, 2007, 06:39 PM
I've used the Movie Ratings guide. :err:

Raise your hand if you think romance should have a single rating system just like video games and TV and movies. That way everyone is on the same page all the time. One publisher's hot is another publisher's smoldering and it starts to get confusing after a while.

I tend to stick with the movies way of rating it: letter (G, PG, PG-13, NC-17, R, X et al) and the reasons for that particular rating (language, sexuality, etc).

Most of my books are rated R for mild language, adult situations, sexuality, and violence--lots and lots of violence. (I didn't mean to kill him, it just happened...and I didn't try to stop it... teehee).

kayelle_allen
June 17th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Raise your hand if you think romance should have a single rating system just like video games and TV and movies. That way everyone is on the same page all the time. One publisher's hot is another publisher's smoldering and it starts to get confusing after a while.

I tend to stick with the movies way of rating it: letter (G, PG, PG-13, NC-17, R, X et al) and the reasons for that particular rating (language, sexuality, etc).

Most of my books are rated R for mild language, adult situations, sexuality, and violence--lots and lots of violence. (I didn't mean to kill him, it just happened...and I didn't try to stop it... teehee).

OMG - Yeah that would be nice, wouldn't it?

Love your violence comment. *snort* Works for me!

Lainey
June 18th, 2007, 01:17 AM
As I have reviewed books the problem is the sub genres and that is where the twist is say R but has an added flavor of menage or bondage or something that way the correct person can review it .. you want reviewers to like that genre so it means you get someone that will like or want to read it anyway but if the book gets in the hands of someone that doesn't like say HEAVY BDSM or something else say no F/F or no M/M or no menage .. you want the right type of people to get the book to read and review it .. so yes to adding all those little things added comments or heat factors or whatever to let the site handing out the books know it will get to the right person .. instead of say someone that loves erotica but not menage so this clears it up for many people and you as the author know you will get a fair and honet review from the right people .. this is just in addition to what Karenne put up just so you know.. it is the little subgenre or heat ratings or extras we need to know of if possible so that is GREAT .. I like the idea of telling it in the submission for reviews... but that is me ...

Lainey

Liadan
June 18th, 2007, 01:30 AM
For the reviewers, it is a plus that we know if there are sub-genres. That helps us and also the author. Also, if the book is in more than one format, i.e. ebook and print, it helps to know how many pages are in each. I've run into this problem many times. It would make our reviews much easier to write.

kayelle_allen
June 18th, 2007, 08:44 PM
This is very helpful information. I'm going to add that to my next workshop.

Jude Mason
June 19th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Taking notes ladies, thank you!

Sascha_Illyvich
June 19th, 2007, 10:53 PM
I've gotta second the violence comment...I'm down with the sickness *snicker*

Yes, a single book rating system would be great. Thanks btw Kayelle

kayelle_allen
June 19th, 2007, 11:31 PM
down with the sickness *snicker*

Ah, so you are "Disturbed" then? LOL

Karenne
June 19th, 2007, 11:42 PM
snicker...cough...umm...hmmm...

(smiles angelically)

Sascha_Illyvich
June 19th, 2007, 11:46 PM
Ah, so you are "Disturbed" then? LOL

Yup. Offered a series of my books away once to any one reader who could tell me what Draiman menat by "Droppping plates"

kayelle_allen
June 20th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Yup. Offered a series of my books away once to any one reader who could tell me what Draiman menat by "Droppping plates"

I assume you mean with 2 Ps... :) But since he says music is a weapon, and it is music he's talking about, I'm figuring it's in reference to "plates" or records like djs use. Dropping plates - slamming down music.

Close?

:rockon:

Sascha_Illyvich
June 21st, 2007, 01:11 PM
Yup, two p's. lol! Possibly. How do you feel about having readers do a little more "oddball" work in getting prizes?

S

kuroisama
June 21st, 2007, 02:16 PM
Yup, two p's. lol! Possibly. How do you feel about having readers do a little more "oddball" work in getting prizes?

S

I'd actually like to know what readers are willing to do and for what prizes. I want the effort to equal the goal and all that jazz. One contest I saw (from a big name author who could afford to do something this extravagant) offered a pair of diamond stud earrings (real) as a prize. I wouldn't go that far (and couldn't) but I have seen some nice stuff offered.

So, what's the limit? How much can we--the authors--expect a reader do to get certain things?

Sascha_Illyvich
June 21st, 2007, 02:42 PM
Obviously I'd think within reason. I just have really odd requests...for example, I wanted to introduce readers into my world ((give them a little more of the me in Sascha) so I share lyrics in interviews or ask them what song the lyrics used to inspire scenes came from.

Most folks don't know who Opeth or Lacuna Coil are...or why my obsession with them. I've had some responses though :)

kayelle_allen
June 21st, 2007, 11:17 PM

S

I've had readers chase all over my website looking for clues, answering questions, filling out surveys, you name it. lol

I saw a promo another author had recently where TJ Killian was chasing her character across the internet. Very cool idea. You can read more about it here. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/romancewithTJandFriends and here http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewevent.asp?id=9017&AuthorID=47052

What do you have in mind?