PDA

View Full Version : Is listening to music a hobby?

JH_Bográn
June 18th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Well, I’m not sure how to answer that. Again, if you see my other posts, I would write this one down as another one that requires you to sit down and do nothing. Except for the fact that I always like to hear sound waves while I’m doing something else.
Here are a few examples of what I mean:

When my better half convinces me to help out with the dishes, I run to my CD collection and play “Queen”. The first song on the album is “I want to break free.” For those who haven’t seen the video and are scratching heads for a connection: Freddy Mercury and the rest of the band went on drags to perform several house duties while lip-singing the lyrics. When I’m washing the dishes, I relate to a mustached-guy in a house dress (think 50’s) as he vacuums the living room rug! :tt2:

A funny quirk, some might not know but I write in both English and Spanish, I’ve commented on this on some interviews before. Something I noticed recently is that when writing in English I instinctively play music in Spanish and vice versa. Why? I have no clue but that’s what I do! :lol:.

My taste in music is so varied that more than one guess has raised an eyebrow or given me a weird look. I’ll list a few of the artist, so maybe you can explain to me why this happens to me :unsure::
English: Madonna, Frank Sinatra, Alanis Morissette, Britney Spears (Oops I did it again, not that dreadful Toxic or any of later albums), Queen (4 greatest hits albums), Cheap trick, The Police, Air Supply, Nelly Furtado, Meatloaf (greatest hits), High School Musical, Titanic soundtrack, Cher (greatest hits), Elton John, Phil Collins, Rick Astley, James Bond Movie songs, Elvis Presley, Back Street Boys, Whitney Houston, Eminem, Spice Girls, and then some.
Spanish: Julio Iglesias, Ricardo Arjona, Alejandro Fernandez, Shakira, Alex Synteks, Maria Conchita Alonso, Las Ketchup, Alejanro Sanz, Alejandra Guzman, Mecano, Sin Bandera, Paulina Rubio, Thalia, Enrique Iglesias, Juanes, Timbiriche, and many more.

:euro::):swoon:

Karenne
June 19th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Oh I think it is. I love listening to music and hearing different instruments and such. I like good lyrics. I think it could be a hobby!:balloon:

lkhunsaker
June 22nd, 2007, 02:41 PM
Hm, I call it an obsession!
:lol:

I like a lot of your list, also (minus the B.S. and a few I don't know).

Maybe you do that because the lyrics in the other language are less distracting than if you played the language you're using? I write to instrumental music. My fave to use are the Pirates soundtracks.

Dani
June 25th, 2007, 12:34 AM
I love music! To me it like air...I have to have it. JH_Bográn, I like quite a few artists that you have in your english list. I'm very eclectic when it comes to music. I like classic rock, jazz, pop, R&B, some hard rock/heavy metal, some rap, alternative, movie soundtracks, instrumental and classical as well. It depends on my mood as to what you'll find me listening to.

Kissa Starling
July 8th, 2007, 01:44 AM
You do have a wide musical taste- definitely a hobby!
Kissa

maura
January 18th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I think it is and I have the stacks of CD's and yes Vinyl to prove it, my dogs even act up in the car if no music is playing.

Karenne
January 18th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I love listening to music.

Right now, I am 'stuck' on Big Band music. I have always loved it but I had been humming Moonlight Serenade and my kids asked me what it was? So I had to go and dig out my CD (love CDs) and put it on so they could hear it.

After that, it has been Big Band non stop for the last couple of weeks!

PS...my kids wanted to know if it was new and what was that sound in the background (horns section) Laugh it Up fuzball

maura
February 4th, 2008, 02:26 PM
I love listening to music.

Right now, I am 'stuck' on Big Band music. I have always loved it but I had been humming Moonlight Serenade and my kids asked me what it was? So I had to go and dig out my CD (love CDs) and put it on so they could hear it.

After that, it has been Big Band non stop for the last couple of weeks!

PS...my kids wanted to know if it was new and what was that sound in the background (horns section) Laugh it Up fuzball

Karenne, I just got a new CD before the holidays: Betcha Bottom Dollar, by the Puppini Sisters. They do old and new songs ala Andrews Sisters. I love their versions of Blondie's Heart of Glass and Morrissey's Panic. They also do a vocal of In The Mood.

Good Stuff, I've got my husband and best friend hooked on them.

Maura