PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Booklist

kayelle_allen
June 19th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Why do you need yet another list? :taz:

Ok, check out these questions you might get from chats, on interviews, author days, bios...

How many books have you written?
What genres do you write?
Is this a series?
Do you have other books with these characters in them?
How did these characters meet? (in another book, etc)
Do you write for other publishers?
Do you have any books in print?
Do you have any ebooks?

=========
You and I both know there are way more questions that this, but it will do as an example. =^_^=

So, what's a booklist, or as it's also known, a backlist?

When your second book comes out you instantly have a booklist/backlist. Woo hoo! So, what do you do about it? As always, with anything that can provide promotional material, you make the most of it.

Here's how. Start by writing your book titles in an actual list. If you're prolific or have been writing for a few years and have many, you may also want to break it into groups by genre, series, publisher, etc. But first list every book. I suggest you begin by listing them across the page, with commas to separate them, so the line can be inserted into an email or document.

Using the Find/Replace command taught on the Word of the Day thread (http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/showthread.php?t=1569), you can later go back and change all the commas into paragraph marks and put them in a lengthwise list. :)

If you write ebooks, list the formats in which they are available. In my case, I wrote one book that was a prequel to two that had already been written, and then jumped forward in the chronology of the stories to write another. If this fits you, or there is a chronological order to your books, create a list for that.

NOTE: leave blank paragraphs between the lists so you can easily spot them. It also makes it easier to copy and paste without picking up stray text.

I have a tag and a blurb for every book, so I also have a section where those are listed with the books. Then there is a section where the books have their titles, blurbs, and links.

Why so many? Well, the plain answer is that I'm just too busy to write all that stuff out every time. I am all over the place these days. While I'm teaching this class, I'm also a moderator on two critique groups, have a marketing group that is very active, two personal groups, plus I'm hosting author days every weekend, writing a book to complete a current series and plotting a new series with two other writers. And that's just my writing! I also have a life beyond the pc. The only way I can do it all is to be very organized and ready for anything. Including massive success and being mobbed for information!

I like to tell this story, so bear with me. :biggrin: Two farmers who are neighbors are both concerned that there hasn't been enough rain lately. So they decide to meet together once a week and pray about it. The first week, they meet and have a great prayer time, and each goes home enthusiastic about their shared faith. The next week, when they get together, one farmer asks the other how things went during the past few days. He says not much changed. There was still no rain, so he finished up a few old chores that needed doing, and that was all. The other shared that he had dug a runoff trough for shallow area near his barn, put together barrels to store water, and repaired the barn roof.

Which farmer had the most faith? And which one will enjoy the rain most when it comes? Who will benefit most?

Prepare yourself now for many books. Prepare for success. Believe it will come. Be ready. And when it comes -- enjoy!

kayelle_allen
June 19th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Thought you might like to see what mine looks like, in case you are not able to visualize what I'm talking about. I also have a page on my website that lists my books, so I keep a link to that here, as well.

==========
http://www.kayelleallen.com/Books.html

Written order:
At the Mercy of Her Pleasure, For Women Only, Wulf, and Alitus

Chronological order:
Wulf, At the Mercy of Her Pleasure, For Women Only, and Alitus

All books are available in PDF, HTML, Microsoft Reader LIT, MobiPocket (PRC) and RocketBook (RB).

At the Mercy of Her Pleasure
Once he tastes her passion, will he be at the mercy of her pleasure?

For Women Only
Will she free his heart before his betrayal breaks hers?

Wulf
Tales of the Chosen
Lust. Power. Forgiveness. Can romance live forever?

Alitus
Tales of the Chosen
Passion. Addiction. Loyalty. Will true love bare its heart forever?

Jawk (late 2007)
Tales of the Chosen
Pleasure. Trust. Possession. Is a betrayal of the heart forever?

http://liquidsilverbooks.com/books/atthemercyofherpleasure.htm

For Women Only
http://liquidsilverbooks.com/books/forwomenonly.htm

Wulf
Tales of the Chosen
http://liquidsilverbooks.com/books/wulf.htm

Alitus
Tales of the Chosen
http://liquidsilverbooks.com/books/alitus.htm

Jude Mason
June 19th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I've made up a spread sheet for mine and also include pub dates, ISBN numbers and where they can be purchased. Oh, and stick them on your website too. *G* Make it easy for fans to find all of your books.

Jude

kuroisama
June 21st, 2007, 06:14 PM
Why do you need yet another list? :taz:

Ok, check out these questions you might get from chats, on interviews, author days, bios...

How many books have you written?
What genres do you write?
Is this a series?
Do you have other books with these characters in them?
How did these characters meet? (in another book, etc)
Do you write for other publishers?
Do you have any books in print?
Do you have any ebooks?

Prepare yourself now for many books. Prepare for success. Believe it will come. Be ready. And when it comes -- enjoy!

Despite all the homework, I love this class. Scratch that. I love this class--no qualifier. Now, if you start testing us, I'm going to have retract my earlier "love" and bump you down to "find it interesting" which is like 5-8 steps away from love. You've been warned. ;P

kuroisama
June 21st, 2007, 06:19 PM
Thought you might like to see what mine looks like, in case you are not able to visualize what I'm talking about. I also have a page on my website that lists my books, so I keep a link to that here, as well.

==========
http://www.kayelleallen.com/Books.html

Written order:
At the Mercy of Her Pleasure, For Women Only, Wulf, and Alitus

Chronological order:
Wulf, At the Mercy of Her Pleasure, For Women Only, and Alitus

All books are available in PDF, HTML, Microsoft Reader LIT, MobiPocket (PRC) and RocketBook (RB).

For Women Only

Wulf
Tales of the Chosen

Alitus
Tales of the Chosen

Jawk (late 2007)
Tales of the Chosen
Pleasure. Trust. Possession. Is a betrayal of the heart forever?

As of this moment, I'm convinced this class is just a marketing ploy for your books. And damned if it ain't working. :lol: So, do which one do I read first? I'm all curious now. Do I go chronological or written? Or which is your fav, I'll start with that? And don't tell me you don't have a fav. Books aren't children, you're allowed to play favorites.

kayelle_allen
June 21st, 2007, 11:11 PM
As of this moment, I'm convinced this class is just a marketing ploy for your books. And damned if it ain't working. :lol: So, do which one do I read first? I'm all curious now. Do I go chronological or written? Or which is your fav, I'll start with that? And don't tell me you don't have a fav. Books aren't children, you're allowed to play favorites.

RATS! You're on to me! :oops:

Hey, everything we do is a marketing ploy. That is lesson #1.

If you like M/M, start with Wulf, since that is the chronology of the timeline. Then At the Mercy of Her Pleasure, because the hero of Mercy is a teen in Wulf and you will totally get why his "father" is so strict with him in Mercy once you've seen the kid as a teenager. lol He's a young adult in Mercy. Although with his sense of humor and prankiness (is that a word?) you're never really sure Senth will ever truly grow up...

Then For Women Only is the next up. It's the story of the teen's half-brother, Khyff, who is reunited with him right before the beginning of Mercy.

In FWO and Mercy, you meet Alitus, who is the spymaster behind the empress... and his book is the next one to read. Especially since this fall, his story continues in Jawk. Wulf, Alitus, and Jawk are the three Tales of the Chosen books.

I had planned a fourth book in the series, but that has changed recently.

===
Honestly, teaching a class on how to promo is hard to do if you don't have examples. And since this material is how I personally handle my own marketing, you are all sort of stuck reading my blurbs. I'm seriously considering a non-fiction book on this and would love to include examples of other authors' material.

Any of you interested in donating blurbs if I do?

deniserossetti
June 24th, 2007, 06:50 AM
I'm seriously considering a non-fiction book on this and would love to include examples of other authors' material.

Any of you interested in donating blurbs if I do?

Well, if everything's a marketing ploy, count me in on the blurbs. :shifty: I put all this info on my website, but I can also see it would be handy to have as a text file.

Denise

kayelle_allen
June 24th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Well, if everything's a marketing ploy, count me in on the blurbs. :shifty: I put all this info on my website, but I can also see it would be handy to have as a text file.

Denise

Awesome! When I start putting all this together, I will be in touch. :)