PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Pets do you all Have?

maura
June 27th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I am not very adventurous I have a 1 year old hyperactive ginormous GSD and a 3 year old sweet Golden with a wild streak. The Golden almost has her first rally title and is starting on the obedience. The GSD will start as soon as he learns that the stand for examination does not mean jump up and kiss the examiner! ::)

Linda L Lattimer
June 28th, 2006, 09:07 AM
I have Carl and Ray the two stuffed animals from Blockbuster, and a stuffed hippo, love hippos, even have the alligator and hippo from the Disney thing, love that, and a stuffed beagle, the youngest grandson named Cupcake, since I am highly allergic I can't be around animals much anymore

But two of my daughters have pets, and they are adorable, especially Scooter the little weiner dog

8)

tonjasturn
July 8th, 2006, 08:10 PM
snakes, snakes, and more snakes..............lol...Tonja

MadisonChase
August 23rd, 2006, 12:45 PM
I have a dog. And a cat. Love them both to pieces... except when the cat wakes me up at 6am .

AdelleLaudan
September 4th, 2006, 02:46 AM
I have a 2 year old pot bellied pig named Jenny. She is full of 'attitude' and yes the other 'crap' that goes with having a pig LOL I wouldn't trade her for anything! She makes me laugh and can move pretty fast with all that belly when she hears the popcorn popping in the microwave. Like my Mother said when she heard about my new addition,...'Don't you do anything Normal?'
Adelle Laudan
www.adellelaudan.com

Linda L Lattimer
September 7th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Tonja, just curious what kind of snakes do you have, and are they secured well in some tank so they won't find their way out?

Linda

TamiParrington
September 8th, 2006, 10:14 PM
I've always had tons of animals. Another of hubby and mine's favorite interests is raising and showing miniature horses (as a comparison note, our smallest one measures 24" at the withers(shoulders)

You can see many of our animals at our farm site http://www.countryhavenranch.com

And we've always had dogs, cats, and often birds and fish as well.

BridghidParkinson
September 9th, 2006, 11:55 AM
I love dogs in general but about 6 years ago I met up with a lady that participates in area Basset Hound Rescue. She had a dog named Ruben that was absolutely the most gorgeous dog I have ever seen. It was love at first drool. There were times I would swear he was going to open his mouth and start talking to me. He responded to Rufus better than Ruben, and he appeared to be about 4 or 5 years old. I also called him "Dufus", "Goofus" or "Noodlehead". He became my shadow puppy in about 5 minutes flat. Where ever I went, he was close by. He was beautifully leash trained, responding to verbal commands, so if I took a notebook to the nearby pond to write, I put his harness and leash on him and he would put his head in my lap as I wrote. I lost Rufus about a year ago but he inspired me to write about dogs as secondary characters.

Charissa1
September 11th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I have two cats who are currently fighting with each other like siblings. They are Pixie and Lynx, but I should name them Chaos and Mayhem, especially at 2 a.m. when it sounds like a herd of buffalo are trampling all over downstairs on my hardwood floors. LOL

maura
September 14th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I have a good friend who used to be involved with Basset Rescue, she got the best dogs.

tonjasturn
September 20th, 2006, 04:25 PM
We had kingsnakes, all of them escaped into my house somewhere. We had a rough earth snake, he too escaped into my house. Now we have 1 ball python(no feet), and 1 hogg island boa(metallica). These snakes have escaped so many times I can't count. But we always find them. Knock on wood...lol..at one point we had 24 different kinds of snakes living in my house with me....and 99% of them have escaped at sometime or another....We just added a new member to the household. A black netherland dwarf rabbit(Cody).....We also have a gecko lizard( Zack)..Welcome to the Eason-Barry Farm...lol

Gotta run.
Tonja

IM Cupnjava
October 25th, 2006, 12:55 PM
I have two kitties and my mother has one. My mom's cat is diabetic. Poor guy gets two insulin shots everyday, but he's a trooper and takes them without complaint. He's also responding pretty good to the insulin.

My two boys, Scooter and Rascal, are older cats, but, thankfully, healthy.

jennzilla
October 28th, 2006, 02:58 AM
He rules the roost here and he knows it. Sheesh! LOL. His name is Mr. Bean but he allows us to call him Lord and Master. :censored: We feed him when he tells us to and then, we feed him again. He's huge and well muscled. I don't fuss too much because he will kill mice, lizards and any odd bug that ventures into our house. I scream and he comes running to the rescue. Mr. Bean don't play.. he's the Ninja Kitty. :ph34r:

This is him

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/jenscarbie/MrBean.jpg

IM Cupnjava
October 28th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Ninja Kitty. LOL!

My cats wouldn't know how to hunt if their lives depended on it. One of them is a stray too.

maura
October 31st, 2006, 03:25 PM
I think that my Golden is a little cat like. She likes to boss us around to the point where she tells my husband where to put her dog bed and in the summer sulks and groans under the a/c until we turn it on. I thought that they wanted to please us?

IM Cupnjava
October 31st, 2006, 03:30 PM
I think that my Golden is a little cat like. She likes to boss us around to the point where she tells my husband where to put her dog bed and in the summer sulks and groans under the a/c until we turn it on. I thought that they wanted to please us?

Oh not cats. They want to train us.

TamiParrington
November 6th, 2006, 10:39 PM
LOL cats want to please US? Oh my goodness. A favorite quote I once read says: Cats were once worshipped as Gods, and they will never let us forget it.

Vicki M. Taylor
November 14th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I'm owned by my American Eskimo dog, Jack. You can read his blog here http://www.dogster.com/?420968

I'm also owned by a Sun Conure parrot named Bailey. He flew into our yard one day and decided to adopt us. Here's a picture of him on the day he flew into our yard.

IM Cupnjava
November 14th, 2006, 04:39 PM
WOW! That's a pretty bird!

Vicki M. Taylor
November 14th, 2006, 05:16 PM
WOW! That's a pretty bird!

thanks. He swooped down into our backyard one night when I was outside with my dog. My dog saw the bird first and honed right in on it. He found it. He wanted to keep it.

We fed it some kibble dog food and gave it some water. The poor thing was hungry and thirsty. It got dark, so we left it for the night. The next morning, he was still around. I fed it some more food and gave it more water. It got braver and followed me to our back patio. I took a quick trip to a pet shop down the street and bought some Conure food and a cage. I figured if he was still at the house, I'd coax him in the cage and look for his owner. He loved the food. I was able to get him to go in the cage in just a matter of minutes. Finding his owner was a different story. I called all the pet stores, bird hospitals, and everywhere else I could think of. We checked the papers and no one claimed a lost Sun Conure.

We weren't really bird people, having never owned one before. But, we did research, joined a bird group and learned everything we could about owning a parrot, especially a Sun Conure. They're one of the loudest birds in the world. Go figure, huh?

Coming up with his name took a few days, but we finally settled on Bailey. He's been with us for over 18 months now. Life will never be the same.

IM Cupnjava
November 14th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Aww...that's so sweet.

maura
November 16th, 2006, 11:52 AM
What a gorgeous bird!!!!! Love the Eskie

Maura

TamiParrington
November 16th, 2006, 04:29 PM
He's beautiful, and that's a heart-warming story. He's lucky to have found you, and you're lucky to have been chosen. :)

BarbaraSheridan
February 24th, 2007, 10:22 PM
There are days when I feel like I live in an annex to the Pittsburgh Zoo :P

Currently We have:
Bird--a parakeet
Fran--a large turtle
The Dude--a cat who thinks he's my son
It--a cat who thinks she's my bodyguard/shadow
Princess--an angsty cat with a crush on a Japanese rock star.
Leo--Princess' brother
Cleo--a cat with serious motherhood issues who can't get along with her kitten
Scraby--Cleo's "scruffy baby"

In the past we've had guinea pigs, hamsters, hermit crabs, toads and close to a dozen gerbils.

ladybecklyn
March 5th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I have a 1 1/2 year old black lab. He is a sweety. He is well loved. If he is standing by you , is probably touching you in some way...mostly leaning against your leg. He is protective, excitable, and calm. The best dog ever. He is a great hunter too....that makes my partner happy. :)

Kissa Starling
April 1st, 2007, 09:48 PM
I have two dogs. two cats (well, one of them is having kittens as I type- 4 so far) two hermit crabs and two rabbits. I love animals!

LA Day
April 2nd, 2007, 11:06 PM
I have a four year old miniature schnauzer and a four month old Yorkie!

James Buchanan
April 2nd, 2007, 11:43 PM
Three cats: Louis, black, who whines and bites and thus is named after the character in the Vampire Lestat. Bandit a long hair calico with a black face mask who came with the house. Baby Kitty (okay Princess named him) a huge tabby who has a transpecies relationship with the dog.

Two Dogs: Blackie, a black terrier mutt who is in love with the cat... besides being interspeices they're also gay... the cat's the bottom. Queenie, a white, sorta lab/sheperd cross who only stands about knee high.

There's also usally a jar of bugs the Princess has collected somewhere around. They tend to be temporary pets.

Kissa Starling
April 3rd, 2007, 09:49 AM
Loved this post! You have me laughing. My cat thinks she is having my dogs kittens. He even comes to check on them several times a day!:lol:

Illyria
May 16th, 2007, 11:02 AM
I have two pet turtles. My sister thinks I am crazy cause I already care so much for them LOL!

lcsamano
May 18th, 2007, 07:13 PM
I have two pet turtles. My sister thinks I am crazy cause I already care so much for them LOL!

Are turtles hard to care for? My children have been asking about turtles. I have been putting them off since I don't know anyone who has turtles.

Illyria
May 19th, 2007, 01:19 PM
No, not really. You just have to be careful not to over feed them.

lcsamano
May 22nd, 2007, 12:40 PM
I will have to let me children read up on them and see if they are still interested. I am hoping that if they do get them that they take care of them.

Illyria
May 22nd, 2007, 02:40 PM
that would be a great way to learn how and take of them.

Doranna
June 15th, 2007, 10:43 PM
I am not very adventurous I have a 1 year old hyperactive ginormous GSD and a 3 year old sweet Golden with a wild streak. The Golden almost has her first rally title and is starting on the obedience. The GSD will start as soon as he learns that the stand for examination does not mean jump up and kiss the examiner! ::)

My Cardi girl thinks it means "melt in submissive sweetness." Yah, great.

Actually she only did that once--this past weekend, our very first class in Novice A. My fault, for the manner in which I set her up. Oh well!

I was glad to see this pet topic--very cool to see pigs and snakes and whatnot under discussion!

I've got 4 dogs and a horse--the horse is a Lipizzan with more personality than he knows what to do with, and the dogs are three Cardigan Welsh Corgis and a Beagle.

The oldest Cardi is retired with no particular job after having out-thunk herself out of all the potentials, the second-oldest is a brain-injured boy now trialing lightly in agility as a schoolmaster for a novice handler, the youngest Cardigan is a comeback girl after injuries--we lost nearly two years, but she's running the highest levels of agility (has her masters, going for PAX), in the midst of her Rally Excellent title, and just started her CD. The very youngest dog is the Beagle, who is also running at the highest levels of agility--almost has his masters, is running for his MACH--has his Rally Excellent, and debuted last week in obedience with first and second placements.

We're pretty busy. ==80

There are piccies of all of them at my website "play pages." (http://doranna.net/a.museplay.html)

Whew!

Jenifer
June 15th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I have 2 puppies, TY and Prancer, they are mixed breeds. They were christmas presents for the kiddies(hence their names)

Dani
June 17th, 2007, 12:50 AM
We have 3 cats (Harry, Logan & Latte [like the drink]), 1 dog (A black Lab mix named Chance), 3 geckos, frogs, fish, 2 hens and a rooster, and we're getting a bunny later today (the neighbor's bunny had babies). We've also had mice, turtles and snakes. Most of the animals (and reptiles) have come from my son wanting them, but I end up taking care of them.

Doranna
June 17th, 2007, 01:08 PM
We have 3 cats (Harry, Logan & Latte [like the drink]), 1 dog (A black Lab mix named Chance), 3 geckos, frogs, fish, 2 hens and a rooster, and we're getting a bunny later today (the neighbor's bunny had babies). We've also had mice, turtles and snakes. Most of the animals (and reptiles) have come from my son wanting them, but I end up taking care of them.

Now that's a menagerie...

Dani
June 17th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Now that's a menagerie...
Tell me about it. I'm thankful that we've never owned all these pets at once. If we did, I think I'd go insane...LOL! Oh I forgot to mention that we owned a ferret at one point in time, but only for about 2 weeks. My son wanted to "hug" it too tight because he loved it so much. I'm a sucker for animals.

Doranna
June 18th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Tell me about it. I'm thankful that we've never owned all these pets at once. If we did, I think I'd go insane...LOL! Oh I forgot to mention that we owned a ferret at one point in time, but only for about 2 weeks. My son wanted to "hug" it too tight because he loved it so much. I'm a sucker for animals.

I believe ferrets go "squirt" if you hug them tight enough...

dkeratsis
June 18th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Two English Pointers named Stella and Logan -- it was really difficult reading Nora Roberts flower series as one of her couples is named Stella and Logan. Just couldn't take it seriously.

Stella was bred for show -- her real name is Enigma's Witching Hour (named after Stella Mayfair), but really she's a couch potato. We spayed her in puppyhood and she's just a great pal. Logan is a rescue pointer with all the trouble rescues bring. H's sweet and lovable and I can't believe he was on a kill list, but he's a boy through and through -- stinky, messy, stubborn, and just plain rowdy. He's also a muse. He actually made it into one of my books -- Lump from Kicking Sideways.

Dina
www.dinakeratsis.com (http://www.dinakeratsis.com)

luv2read
June 19th, 2007, 11:21 AM
I have 1 dog whose name is princess she is a chihuaua. As well I have two tanks full of fish. There are goldfish, kissing fishes and mollies.

Taryn Raye
August 24th, 2007, 08:42 PM
We have one cat named Miscellaneous, but I call her Mizzy or Miz or Furball, Fatty...she's not really that fat, but when she's half asleep curled up she looks fatter than she is. LOL

I have a book by Bonnie McCafferty that was a compilation of some of her articles and she mentioned she had a cat named Miscellaneous who had passed away. When I got my kitten, that was the name I liked best, so that's what she's been since...she's just a jumble of different things.

My favorite stories to tell on her-
When she was a kitten, she jumped about 3 feet from the arm of the couch into the Christmas tree and came out with ornaments flying in all directions and tangled in the light cords. She was after a mouse, not once but twice and got a sticky trap stuck to her foot and she ran through the house like a madman freaking out.

jennzilla
September 8th, 2007, 02:36 AM
I've got a new puppy, so I wanted to share. He's a chihuahua. Oh crap, did I spell that right? I'm too lazy to go check. Where's the spellchecker on this thing?

Anyway, someone just chucked him out at our place. When I opened the door, he just walked on inside. We live in the boonies and we've got coyotes and stuff, so of course, we couldn't leave him outside, right? I mean RIIIIGHT? Right.. Plus, he's so cute, yall.

My insane in the membrane daughter the Amazon Teen Queen of Mean wanted to name him something prissy like Tinkerbell, but I'd already named him something kewl before she came home.

Meet Paco the wonder dog.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y94/jenscarbie/Paco1.jpg