PDA

View Full Version : Space 1889 & Beyond

Andy Frankham-Allen
February 1st, 2011, 06:51 PM
As it says in the opening section of this forum, Steampunk does indeed rock! It's a growing interest, and although it's been popular on and off over recent years, it does seem to be coming into its own. And we at Untreed Reads will be there, helping to lead the way with our forthcoming series, Space 1889 & Beyond.

Wish to know more? Then drop some posts, and I shall tell you what I can in my position as Commissioning Editor of the series. ;)

a_charol
February 1st, 2011, 08:50 PM
Just read my first steampunk romance a few weeks ago (Like Clockwork by Bonnie Dee). I'd love some recommendations for others.

Andy Frankham-Allen
February 7th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Hey there.

One person I can recommend at the moment is Ian R. MacLeod. I'm reading a short of his in the anthology, Extraordinary Engines, which I'm quite enjoying. On the strength of this I'll most likely be checking out his The Light Ages and The House of Storms novels.
smilies/bounce.gif

a_charol
February 8th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I was able to put it on reserve at the library. Just finished The Steampunk Trilogy. Really bizarre (giant newt masquerading as Queen Victoria?)!

Andy Frankham-Allen
February 8th, 2011, 11:28 PM
I assume you mean the anthology? If so, great, let me know what you think. So far there's a few weak stories for me, but the MacLeod short (and the one preceding that) have been pretty good. The MacLeod story definitely the strongest so far, though...

a_charol
February 9th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Yes, the anthology. I note that I am number 8 on the list (great library internet reserve system) so it will take a while for me to get it.

Andy Frankham-Allen
February 10th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Just means time for other great books to be read. ;)