PDA

View Full Version : Red Velvet cake

Dani
June 21st, 2007, 09:18 PM
My grandmother was given this recipe about 30 something years ago by a friend. There is a story behind how she ended up with it too. See, the friend was in New Orleans at a fancy restaurant and had this cake for dessert. She liked it so much that she wanted the recipe for it and asked if she could buy it. They said sure and gave her the recipe, but what she didn't know until she had the recipe in hand and got her bill was that it cost her $500 for it. They didn't tell her it was going to cost that much and she was shocked, so she decided that if they were going to charge that much for the recipe she was going to give it to anyone that asked her for it and she did.

BTW, this is not a cream cheese icing, but it's really good (or at least I think so). Enjoy!

Red Velvet Cake

Cake

- cup shortening
1- cup sugar
2- eggs
2- tbsp cocoa
2-1oz bottles red food coloring
1-tsp salt
1-cup buttermilk
2-cups reg. flour (sifted)
1-tsp vanilla
1-tsp soda
1-tsp vinegar

Cream shortening, sugar & eggs. Mix cocoa & food coloring and add to creamed mixture. Sift flour and salt 3 to 4 times. Add flour alternately with buttermilk to mixture then add vanilla. Dissolve soda & vinegar. Fold in to mixture. Bake in 2 9 pans at 350 degrees for 30 35 minutes. Cool.

Icing

1-cup milk
3-tbsp flour
-cup butter
-cup Crisco
1-cup sugar (Powdered or granulated)
1-tsp vanilla

Cook milk and flour until thick. Let cool (a piece of advice here, place saran wrap over the mixture, so a skin won't form on the top and make it lumpy when it's mixed with the other ingredants and start making the cake. Make the rest of the icing while the cake is cooling). In another bowl mix the butter, Crisco, sugar & vanilla. Beat until creamy. Add the cooled mixture and beat until creamy.

Lainey
June 22nd, 2007, 05:28 AM
Wow that is fantastic and I am happy she did that ... so all can enjoy she passed it on ... and now I want to try it ... yummy

Lainey

Dani
June 23rd, 2007, 12:49 AM
Wow that is fantastic and I am happy she did that ... so all can enjoy she passed it on ... and now I want to try it ... yummy

Lainey
Please be my guest! That's why I posted it. LOL This cake has been a family favorite for years on end, especially since my NanNan only made it once maybe twice a year if we were lucky. I hope you like it. I've been playing with the recipe to see if I could eliminate the Crisco and if I figure it out (and it tastes good), I'll post it.