PDA

View Full Version : So, you want to write an eBook...

kayelle_allen
June 22nd, 2007, 08:46 PM
For curiosity's sake, how many of you are interested in becoming an ebook author? Take a moment to let me know, will you please?

If you are considering this, post what your questions are and let those of us who've breached the gap jump in and answer them, if we can.

I'll be checking this thread the rest of the month and trying to answer each one individually.

lkhunsaker
June 22nd, 2007, 11:52 PM
I have a novel that was published in 2003 (I own all rights) and I'm considering turning it into an ebook.

My biggest question is security: I know it can be set up as a non-printable pdf file and I've done that before, but I also know there are books being pirated by sites printing and selling them. Is this more likely with an ebook since it's digital? Are there certain companies that are more secure than others?

:turned:

kuroisama
June 23rd, 2007, 10:07 AM
I have a novel that was published in 2003 (I own all rights) and I'm considering turning it into an ebook.

My biggest question is security: I know it can be set up as a non-printable pdf file and I've done that before, but I also know there are books being pirated by sites printing and selling them. Is this more likely with an ebook since it's digital? Are there certain companies that are more secure than others?

Those sites get set up and shut down all the time. As soon as authors catch them, they report them to the publishers who deal with the situation. I don't know how (big burly guys in black suits comes to mind...teehee) but usually the site goes away.

I don't think it's the security of the publisher so much as the ingenuity of the person pirating. Anything that can be encrypted and password-protected can be accessed so long as you know how. Unfortunately, hackers know how.

And print books get pirated too. Like when you see people selling the books without a cover. Or heck, even someone selling photocopies. Same thing just ebook and internet means a bigger audience. :) I know that doesn't make you feel better, but every venue comes with its own risks.

That's my take on the situation, at any rate. Someone might decide I'm totally off. ;P

kayelle_allen
June 24th, 2007, 07:54 AM

Lulu (http://lulu.com)is an excellent site. As with any publisher, check out their material and contracts before you sign. I have many friends whose books are there and have not heard anything negative about their dealings. In fact, I'm in a print anthology there myself.

lkhunsaker
June 24th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Thank you, Renee and Kayelle.

I've used Lulu for a children's picture book and I'm currently using it to create a hardcover for Rehearsal, so I was heading toward using them for the ebook, also. I appreciate the thoughts!

Loraine