PDA

View Full Version : Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Picoult

Dewdrop
June 24th, 2007, 09:07 PM
<TABLE class=ebayRootMessage cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" summary=Message border=0><TBODY><TR class=jive-odd vAlign=top><TD class=jive-subject align=left colSpan=4></TD></TR><TR class=ebayRootUserRow vAlign=top><TD align=left width="99%" colSpan=2><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--document.write('kelleyfan (http://coffeetimeromance.com/board/contactUser.jspa?requested=kelleyfan)');// --></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--document.write(' (172 (http://coffeetimeromance.com/board/viewFeedback.jspa?userid=kelleyfan)');// --></SCRIPT></TD><TD class=messageBoxDate align=right width="1%" colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR class=jive-odd vAlign=top><TD class=jive-description align=left width="100%" colSpan=4>I would be interested in reading opinions of others who have read it.

The novel is about the effects of bullying of "geeks and nerds" by the self-proclaimed "cool kids" in high school. One justification of bullying, stated by a bullying student, is "They're not like us."

What amazes me is non-intervention by teachers and staff who witness bullying, both in the novel and in real life. In the novel, the school has an "anti-bullying policy" but no stated course of action for staff to take to stop an act in progress. That's almost like saying "We don't want bullying in our school, but we don't know how to stop it." Now I wonder if that's ever true in real life. If any teachers frequent this board their input would be appreciated.

While this is not an easy book to read, because the subject is very relevant to recent events in schools, it is enlightening and I believe just about anyone can think back to their high school days and relate, in some way.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Karenne
June 24th, 2007, 10:18 PM
hmm....I haven't heard anything about this book. I am going to check it out now.

lkhunsaker
July 1st, 2007, 01:47 PM
I haven't read it yet, though I keep thinking I will.

One of the problems with teachers getting involved or not getting involved is that they're afraid of the parents. Bully children tend to have at least one bully parent and it's hard to say what those parents will do to a teacher who irritates their "little rays of sunshine" (sarcasm intended). With laws made to protect the guilty more than the innocent (which I'm about to do an article on), it's hard to step in and try to do anything. At what risk? What good is it when our laws won't protect us if we do?

Lila42
July 2nd, 2007, 03:17 PM
I love Jodi Picoult's books. I especially liked "My Sister's Keeper." I couldn't wait for this particular book to come out. However, my mother read it and said it was one of Jodi's worst works. She wasn't moved by any of the characters and she said it was slow moving. But that's just her opinion. I was going to get the book from her but she already donated it along with other books to the library. I think I will wait for the paperback to come out. I would love to hear from others who have read it.