PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Writer's Playlist

kayelle_allen
June 24th, 2007, 10:39 PM
:rockon:

What music inspires you? Do you listen to specific music for specific characters? Like silence while you write?

Share that here. This is our final week together for this workshop, and this thread is one we'll share for fun!

I love alternative rock, and listen to a lot of different groups. Electronica and dance is for certain books; grunge for others.

What's your Ultimate Playlist?

A.E. Rought
June 25th, 2007, 08:34 AM
There are defintie playlists, depending on which story I'm writing, and which name I'm writing under. I like the dark, moody, kind of murderous stuff for me vampires and weres:
Moody playlist:
The Undertaker, by Puscifer
Golgotha Tenement Blues, by Machines of Loving Grace
Dawn, by Stabbing Westward
Forever May Not Be Long Enough, by Live
Going Under, by Evanescence
Tourniquet, by Evanescence
Lose control, Evanescence
Eclipsed, by Evans Blue
Possession, by Evans Blue
Voodoo, by Godsmack
Voodoo too, by Godsmack
Red Tape, Agent Provacatuer
American Witch, Rob Zombie
Gonna Get Close To You, Queensryche

There's more, but I haven't had my coffee yet and my brain is fuzzy :)

Shirley Jump
June 25th, 2007, 09:43 AM
I'm a fan of remakes of the standards, so in general, I'm listening to Michael Buble, Norah Jones, Steve Tyrell, etc. That way I have music that isn't intrusive but doesn't put me to sleep either :-). And it's romantic. But every book has a song and sometimes a reader will know the song for the book. The Dating Game (http://www.amazon.com/Dating-Game-Silhouette-Romance/dp/0373197950/ref=sr_1_1/103-8013456-4041431?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182778989&sr=8-1), for instance, has the characters dancing to "I Go Blind" by Hootie and the Blowfish because being "blind" to each other was the theme of the book so I played that song over and over while writing the book. Really Something (http://www.amazon.com/Really-Something-Shirley-Jump/dp/1420100351/ref=sr_1_18/103-8013456-4041431?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182779012&sr=1-18), my Dec. 07 book, has "Because of You" by Kelly Clarkson because when I heard that song, I got the idea for the book.

So most books have one song that seems to capture the mood of the book, so when I need inspiration, I'll play that song. Otherwise, I'm play what my husband calls "funeral" music (he hates those singers :-) and my kids call the "embarrassing Mom music."

Jude Mason
June 25th, 2007, 01:49 PM
When I'm writing, the sound of my hard drive is about all I want to listen to. If there's music playing, I wind up either singing along, which leads to my typing the lyrics, or I tune it out, which means I'm not listening.

Music that imspires me though is as wide ranged as you can get. I love any kind of music from Abba to Guns n Roses, to Metallica, to Martin Donelly. I'm not even going to attempt a list, I'd be here for a VERY long time. LOL

Hugs
Jude

Sascha_Illyvich
June 25th, 2007, 04:48 PM
All right, the secret to my writing. Music lol!

Opeth, Slipknot, Mudvayne, Sevendust, Cold, Lacuna Coil (since I just saw them!) The Gathering, VNV Nation (ebm/futurepop) Wolfsheim, Slayer, Rammstein (for BDSM) Killswitch Engage, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Godsmack, Anteus, sometimes NILE (the former is french black metal, the latter, egyptian themed black metal) Sarah M, The Flir, Disturbed,

Top Albums I've had in for a long time while writing The Opeth Pack saga:
Tool 10,000 Days
VNV Nation: Futureperfect
KsE: either Self titled or End of Heartache
Opeth Ghost Reveries
Lacuna Coil: Unleashed Memories
Wrinting Mix CD: (VNV Nation, the gathering, Steve Conte and Wolfsheim)
over, and over and over again, driving everyone I know crazy!

S

lkhunsaker
June 26th, 2007, 11:41 AM
While I'm writing, I sometimes need silence and other times use instrumental music. My faves to write to, depending where I am in the story:

Pirates of the Caribbean Soundtracks (all 3 now, loaded into my iTunes player so they don't stop)

Celtic Music (much of what I have is by Stuart Wood, formerly of the Bay City Rollers, the band that somewhat inspired Rehearsal)

Erik Satie (French pianist/composer who has quite original names for his works)

Highlander Soundtracks

Mozart

I've also been compiling a bunch of 70s music to listen to during researching/promoting, since my story is set in the 70s.

:turned: Loraine