PDA

View Full Version : Paranormal Romance?

Dewdrop
June 25th, 2007, 04:08 AM
I've never been a fan of witches or magic in stories but I do love Science Fiction and have been enjoying a lot of Paranormal Romance lately. Time travel, vampires, space travel, set in the future etc.

I'd like to find some new authors.
I've found many Paranormals are really cheesy. Even authors that I normally love can write really bad Paranormals like Jayne Anne Krentz or Johanna Lindsey.

I've read and enjoyed everything by these authors that I've been able to find:

Christine Feehan
Sherrilyn Kenyon
JD Robb
Susan Squires
Liz Maverick
Laurell K. Hamilton
Eileen Wilkes (werewolves)
Janet Chapman (time traveling Highlanders)
Sandra Hill (those wonderful Vikings)
Susan Grant
Susan Krinard
Karen Marie Moning
Lindsey Sands
CJ Barry
Maggie Shayne (prefer the vamps over witches)
Diana Gabaldon
Christina Skye
Linda Lael Miller (vampires)

Any suggestions on who else can join my list?

Snowpea
June 29th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Anne Rice: Interview With the Vampire is the 1st book in the series -- although I think the later books are better, you would want to start with this one. She has also written a series about witches, but I haven't read it.

Jude Deveraux: A Knight in Shining Armor is time travel, and the book that got me hooked on her. Many of her books subsequent to Knight deal with some type of paranormal (the earlier ones are historical romance).

Nora Roberts: Several of her recent trilogies have dealt with paranormal -- The Irish Trilogy, Key Trilogy, In the Garden Trilogy. I'm not sure about the Three Sisters trilogy, but I think the newest Circle Trilogy is about vampires. (JD Robb is her pen name for the Death in.. series)

rgraham666
June 29th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Try mine. In The Dark (http://www.aspenmountainpress.com/paranormal/romance/in-the-dark/prod_42.html).

Coffee Time gave it a great review. :biggrin:

Dani
June 29th, 2007, 06:40 PM
You could try these authors Dewdrop:

Keri Arthur (Riley Jenson Series, See her "home" here on the boards)
Charlaine Harris (Southern Vampire novels)
MaryJanice Davidson (Her Undead series is funny & has a werewolf series)
Patricia Briggs (Her Mercy series)
Kim Harrison (About a witch bounty hunter & vamps. I'm just beginging her)

If you decide to give a witch series a try I suggest:
Anne Rice's Mayfair Witches series (3 books, excellent, not cheesy)
Kate Forsyth's witch series (6 books, plus a trilogy & IMO very good)

I agree with Snowpea about Anne Rice's vamps. The books are wonderful. Good luck finding what you're looking for Dewdrop.

Snowpea, I read Anne's witch series and it's excellent. Her last Lestat book ties the witches in to it. Her book Merrick is about another "branch" of the Mayfair witches and it's good too, plus it has Lestat, Louis and David in it.

Dewdrop
June 29th, 2007, 07:05 PM
I strongly dislike Ann Rice's books. I've read three and that is enough. I read Interview, Lestat and Queen of the Damned. Kinda forced myself since they were so popular. I tried to read East of Eden but ...yuck.

I've read everything by Nora Roberts. I was not a fan of the Key Trilogy and I thought the "garden center" trio would have been great without the stupid ghost.

I'm not familiar with the others recommended. I'll check them out. Thanks

rgraham666
June 29th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I'm afraid you must number me amongst those who didn't especially like Anne Rice's books.

I think it was because I found her vampires a little too melodramatic and not nearly human enough.

Dani
June 29th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I will agree with you that they are melodramatic. It didn't bother me too much though. Maybe because I grew up around a couple of melodramatic people. LOL I find that some people I have talked to about Anne Rice don't like her writing style. They say she's too hard to get into.

jennzilla
June 30th, 2007, 02:46 AM
I will agree with you that they are melodramatic. It didn't bother me too much though. Maybe because I grew up around a couple of melodramatic people. LOL I find that some people I have talked to about Anne Rice don't like her writing style. They say she's too hard to get into.

I loved her writing and maybe you're right about the melodramatic people thing. I did grow up in the south, home of the crazy old biddies.:lol:

Snowpea
June 30th, 2007, 09:18 AM
I like Anne Rice's books. Even the non vampire ones. A Cry To Heaven was a good read. Her erotica series is okay. The Claiming Of Sleeping Beauty and there're three others.

I love finding a new romance author that I can actually read, without throwing the book down in disgust in the first chapter. I have no patience with helpless female characters.

I want to try Patricia Briggs too and see if she's just a cookie cutter Anita Blake.

That's the problem with these Paranormal books. You get a cookie cutter effect. There all the same except they just twitched a few details here and there. I like a book that's truly unique. And ideas I haven't seen a million times before. I like a good plot along with the raised blood pressure. And puuuhllleaaaasseee even if it is vamps, a little reality. Just because they're vamps doen't mean they have to act like they're from Mars. I want a romance not science fiction, LOL.

If I want science fiction I'll go read Johanna Lyndsey's Warrior's Woman.

Dani
June 30th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I haven't read the Anita Blake series yet, so I can't say if it is cookie cutter or not. I was under the impression that Anita Blake was a vamp hunter of some sort.

Patricia Briggs' Mercy series is about a woman who is a walker (shifter). It's full of werewolves and a vamp or two. They are really good books or at least I think so. Her first one is called Moon Called, the second is Blood Bound and the new one coming in January is called Iron Kissed. Check her website www.hurog.com/index.shtml (http://www.hurog.com/index.shtml) for more info on these books and her others. I can tell you that I tried to get into one of her other books, but found it a little difficult. Of course that could be because I wasn't quite in the mood to read it at that point. LOL

Jenna, I'm from the south too, so I know how it is. Crazy old biddies every where! LOL

orangeengr85
July 26th, 2007, 12:03 AM
I am also a a SFF fan who has gravitated toward the paranormal romance. These are some books I have read recently.

Wolf Who Rules by Wen Spencer

Witchling by Yasmine Galenorn

Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs

Talyn by Holly Lisle

Touched by Darkness by Catherine Spangler

Doppelganger by Marie Brennan

Witch and Warrior by Marie Brennan
(sequel to Doppelganger)

Blood Ties Book One: The Turning by Jennifer Armintrout

Dangerous Games by Keri Arthur

I started an Anne Rice Book once. I didn't finish it. That doesn't very often.

I highly recommend Patricia Briggs. Her other books besides the Mercy series are more SFF, which you might like. I would never have associated her books with Laurell K. Hamilton's. Hamilton's earlier Anita Blake books are better. The last few are lots of random sex scenes with not as much character plot development. I would recommend anything before Incubus Dreams. Probably you wouldn't want to read her other series, the ones about the faerie princess, but others reading this might.

Another series that I don't think has been mentioned is Kelly Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld. There are 8, the first of which is Bitten.

Those are all I can think of this late.

rgraham666
July 26th, 2007, 08:40 AM
I recently read Sunshine (http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Robin-McKinley/dp/0515138819/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-3156520-6707119?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185453289&sr=8-1) by Robin McKinley. I'd read it because one of my readers said that I had a writing style similar to her.

I really enjoyed it. The central character was wonderful. An earthy, smart tough young lady whose nickname is Sunshine. An entirely appropriate nickname as it turns out.

The world it's set in is quite marvellous, almost like ours but with a dark undertone of horror running through it.

The love interest is a vampire. Most of the vampires in this world are the epitomes of evil that they often are, but this one is different. How or why is never quite made clear, but it was apparent and added a lot to the book.

Highly recommended.

jennzilla
August 12th, 2007, 02:20 AM
Patricia Briggs is great. Her books are great, wonderful stories, the characters are vivid and stick with you so well that you find yourself thinking about them much leter. They're not like LKH unless you count the shifter thing and the vivid character thing as well. No sex but lots of sexual tension. I'm a big fan of both by the way LKH and Briggs and sex and sexual tension. I loved both books in the series and I want Iron Kissed right.. the.. crap.. now.
:censored:

LOL!!

TJ Michaels
August 12th, 2007, 02:26 AM
I actually love several of the authors on your list. If you enjoy very sensual paranormal, here's my shameless plug for any books by The Dynamic Trio (Lauren Dane, TJ Michaels and Shelley Munro). We all write paranormal (shapeshifters, vamps, etc) and hang out at www.dynamicthree.com (http://www.dynamicthree.com)

If you like your paranormal with an urban flare, L.A. Banks has the hook up.

TJ
www.tjmichaels.com

dreamer61278
August 12th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I actually love several of the authors on your list. If you enjoy very sensual paranormal, here's my shameless plug for any books by The Dynamic Trio (Lauren Dane, TJ Michaels and Shelley Munro). We all write paranormal (shapeshifters, vamps, etc) and hang out at www.dynamicthree.com (http://www.dynamicthree.com)

If you like your paranormal with an urban flare, L.A. Banks has the hook up.

TJ
www.tjmichaels.com (http://www.tjmichaels.com)
any other books ?:innocent:
________
PresleyStar live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/PresleyStar)

TJ Michaels
August 12th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Yep, I can recommend Jory Strong's series, The Angelini, and Judy Mays series, Celestial Passions. My series, Vampire Council of Ethics, and Tielle St. Clare's dragon series.

That should get you started pretty good! :teacher:

rawrhotbabe
August 12th, 2007, 07:36 PM
)Hey. i have another sugestion for paranormal romance author: Her name is Laura Adrian. She has two books out; Kiss of Midnight and Kiss of Crimson. I love her. The action and romace never lets up ;)

rawrhotbabe
August 12th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Try Laura Adrian and her two books: Kiss of Crimson and Kiss of Midnight.

they are SUPER good :)

Karenne
August 12th, 2007, 09:01 PM
You are right! Both of those books were great! She is one to add to your list of 'to watch' for when her books hit.:p

Dani
August 13th, 2007, 01:28 AM
They sound good. I have heard about them from others as well.

dreamer61278
August 16th, 2007, 06:19 PM
thanks Ill look for them
________
CoeD (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/CoeD/)

Kerry A. Jones
August 16th, 2007, 10:12 PM
You could try mine, CAST IN STONE. www.BlackLyonPublishing.com (http://www.BlackLyonPublishing.com) Also the Search Inside feature at Amazon.com would let you read the first few pages there, and from those you'd be able to tell if you'd like it or not.

Kimberly Adkins' THE MEDALLION OF SOLAUS is also a good new paranormal with an ancient djinn hero. It's brand new this week so the Search Inside feature probably isn't up just yet at Amazon. (It will be!)

I can guarantee anything by Black Lyon Publishing won't be "cookie cutter."

:turned:

Sela Carsen
November 7th, 2007, 01:41 PM
You have to try Linnea Sinclair's books! They're sci-fi romance and they're wonderful! She's a very funny lady and her wit really comes through. Great, strong heroines and wonderfully tender Alpha heroes. *sigh*

You could, of course, try my books. ;) They're light paranormals -- one a back-from-the-dead romance and the other is a Selkie romance (seal shape-shifter). No sci-fi...yet. *gg*

KissyKrissy
November 7th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Anyone read Savannah Russe The Darkwing Chronicles? I really enjoyed them. So far there is 3 books in the series. Fourth book comes out on November 7th i believe.

Here is the write up on the first novel in the series:
"Beyond the Pale: The Darkwing Chronicles:
Book One By: Savannah Russe
If you passed Daphne Urban on the streets of New York, you'd see a sleek brunette, young, dressed in up to the minute style. You'd never know she was a vampire. But the government knows. Their ultimatum: Spy for th United States, or be terminated. And after all these centuries, Daphne is not ready to call it quits... Even as vampires go, Daphne is extraordinary. She speaks thirteen languages, has lived in as many countries, and has a genius level IQ. She's also escaped detection and capture for nearly five hundred years - which makes her perfect for project Darkwing's most dangerous assignments. Her first mission is to get close to Bonaventure - a shady arms dealer with terrorist connections. But while she chases Bonaventure, someone else is chasing her - the darkly sexy vampire slayer Darius della Chiesa. His mission is to kill her - leaving him torn between desire and duty. For his lithe, lovely prey is also his ultimate temptation..."

I also really enjoy Maryjanice Davidson, Charlaine Harris, Anne Bishop, Laurel K Hamilton, Kim Harrison is really good too oh and Tate Halloway has a couple books out that are good too! Too name a few....:lol:

Enjoy!

CharmedGirl
November 8th, 2007, 05:30 AM
I enjoy Mary Janice Davidson, Charlaine Harris, Keri Arthur, Kim Harrison and Laurell K Hamilton and Katie McAlister.

There are some really good books out at the moment which I still want to get but haven't had a chance to get to the bookstore but I'll be going to the bookstore tomorrow and be there as soon as it opens. LOL

DavidsGirl841444
November 9th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Whoa kissykrissy that is one really good sounding book. I am with you on the authors of choice charmed girl romance in paranormal scenarios are great and fun to eat up.

KissyKrissy
November 10th, 2007, 02:49 PM
paranormal romance seems to be my favorite lately! LOL cant get enough. going to go get the new savannah russe today..hopefully! gotta wait for the kiddies to get up so i can go out! LOL

Dani
November 10th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Anyone read Savannah Russe The Darkwing Chronicles? I really enjoyed them. So far there is 3 books in the series. Fourth book comes out on November 7th i believe.

Here is the write up on the first novel in the series:
"Beyond the Pale: The Darkwing Chronicles:
Book One By: Savannah Russe
If you passed Daphne Urban on the streets of New York, you'd see a sleek brunette, young, dressed in up to the minute style. You'd never know she was a vampire. But the government knows. Their ultimatum: Spy for th United States, or be terminated. And after all these centuries, Daphne is not ready to call it quits... Even as vampires go, Daphne is extraordinary. She speaks thirteen languages, has lived in as many countries, and has a genius level IQ. She's also escaped detection and capture for nearly five hundred years - which makes her perfect for project Darkwing's most dangerous assignments. Her first mission is to get close to Bonaventure - a shady arms dealer with terrorist connections. But while she chases Bonaventure, someone else is chasing her - the darkly sexy vampire slayer Darius della Chiesa. His mission is to kill her - leaving him torn between desire and duty. For his lithe, lovely prey is also his ultimate temptation..."

I also really enjoy Maryjanice Davidson, Charlaine Harris, Anne Bishop, Laurel K Hamilton, Kim Harrison is really good too oh and Tate Halloway has a couple books out that are good too! Too name a few....:lol:

Enjoy!

I saw the 4th book in Walmart the other day while I was there and it caught my eye, but seeing that it's the 4th book I didn't get it. I'd rather read the others first then I'll know what's going on. Now that you've posted this about the first book I'll have to find it and to read and the others as well.:biggrin:

moretta
November 16th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Hi:

My name is Marisa, I'm from Spain and this is my first post. There are two authors I like a lot in paranormal romance, Shelly Laurenston and Nalini Singh.

Shelly Laurenston writes about shapeshifters, all kind of them. Her females are not weak, not at all, and I think her books are funny.

Nalini Singh mixes sci-fi and chalengings (her serie called "Psi and challenging").

I hope you enjoy them.

jennzilla
November 16th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Welcome, Marissa!

You also might like Karen Chance and Eileen Wilks as well. Their books have the more Urban Fantasy-ish type elements in it, with witches, fairies, and other magical beings in them as well as vamps and shifters. Karen Chance's Cassandra Palmer Series is one of my new addictions. I despise her, seriously, she makes me crazy.

I have a fantasy romance out, but I won't even pretend that mine is on par with these two ladies or those that you named either. But, fantasy and paranormal romance are my favorite genres to read and write because it's such a wide open field with room for the imagination to play.

DavidsGirl841444
November 19th, 2007, 01:19 PM
A big welcome to our spain girl hey Marissa. Those books you all mentioned must get and add to my list. I may be seventy by the time I finish my list of reads.

orangeengr85
November 20th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I have recently read and enjoyed:

Black Dagger Brotherhood series, all of them up to date. the next one doesn't come out til June, :( and the Darkwing Chronicles, still need to read number 4. i think this last series was mentioned recently, but it's pretty good.

Here's the list of four more books i have ordered but not recieved since two of them don't come out til the 27th:

1 of: Dancing With Werewolves: Delilah Street, Paranormal Investigator<spap class="tiny"></spap>
1 of: Halfway to the Grave: A Night Huntress Novel<spap class="tiny">
</spap>
1 of: The Anna Strong Chronicles: The Watcher (Book 3)<spap class="tiny">
</spap>
1 of: The Devil Inside (Morgan Kingsley, Exorcist, Book 1)Um, back in June I read the Ukiah Oregon books and enjoyed them.

and that's all i can think of at the moment. i am also searching for good paranormal books to read, but won't be able to order many more til after i graduate and get a couple paychecks. only two months.

CharmedGirl
November 20th, 2007, 09:28 PM
I'm really loving reading Paranormal Romance novels. I read Be Still My Vampire Heart just recently that was just great. LOL

DavidsGirl841444
November 21st, 2007, 12:35 PM
What that one about?