PDA

View Full Version : What is the scariest book you've ever read?

Dewdrop
June 27th, 2007, 01:28 AM
I think the scariest book I ever read was 'The Shining' by Stephen King. I love scary books, the more frightening the better. I've been reading lots of Dean Koontz lately, and I enjoy reading his stuff, but I just don't get SCARED when I read him.

Any suggestions for a book that'll just scare the Carp right out of me? :eek:

Angela Caperton
June 27th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Years ago, I was in the military, and for a time I had duty in my company barracks from 5PM to 5AM called CQ. Basically, I stayed up all night while everyone slept, answered the phones, and took care of anything that might crop up -- which rarely happened. During those shifts I read a TON of books.

One night I had brought a romance a friend had given me to read, but I couldn't get into the story at that time. Under the desk where I had to sit for CQ (more like a platform with an "L" shaped counter surrounding it) someone had left a book with the cover torn off.

It was Dean Koontz's "Phantoms".

I picked it up and started reading.

Holy Carp!

Reading that book in the middle of the night, practically alone, it scared the Bejeezus out of me!

At about 4 in the morning, I was so engrossed in the story, one of my friends had walked up to me and I didn't hear him. He was half asleep, in his PJ's, and he went to ask me a question as he got to the desk.

My heart about stopped, the book literally went flying in the air and all I could manage once I pulled myself off the ceiling was to yell at him, "Don't EVER sneak up on me like that again!"

I'm sure the circumstances of reading that book had a great deal to do with it, but "Phantoms" still ranks up there as the scariest book I ever read.

#2 was "Amityville Horror", but again, circumstances color my experience with that book - and age. I was only 10 when I first tried reading it (I had to stop -- too scary for me at that point). When I finally determined a few years later that I wanted to finish the book, I literally read Amity by day and <ahem> "Bambi" by Felix Salten at night! Hey, it worked, so don't laugh!

Stephen King's "It" ranks up there for me too, but I think that was because I have a rather strong fear of clowns.

</ahem>

rgraham666
June 27th, 2007, 09:15 AM
The scariest thing I ever read was a short story by Raccoona Sheldon entitled The Screwfly Solution.

I read it once, thirty years ago. It gives me shivers to this day.

Dewdrop
June 27th, 2007, 11:01 AM
:lol:
"Don't EVER sneak up on me like that again!"

I remember watching Salems Lot when I was young and it scared the carp out of me. I kept a crucifix by my bed for a year after seeing it. I got around to reading it several years later and since I was older, it didn't scare me so much. 'The Shining' really did scare me, too, when I read the book and saw the movie.

When I was 10 and my sister was 12, we snuck my Dad's copy of The Exorcist and started reading it. It was during the summer, so we would take it outside and read it while mom wasn't watching. My sis would flip through the pages looking for the scary stuff and I remember reading the part where she's stabbing herself with the cross. I don't think I ever fully recovered from hearing that so young!

I read Christopher Pike books while I was still in Elementary school and a few of those really scared me, too. Scavenger Hunt, and Monster I think were the two that spooked me the most. Of course, they're not scary to me now, but at 10 or 11 were very spooky!

Sapphire Phelan
June 28th, 2007, 04:00 PM
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. She scared me in the daylight in a room full of people.
Sapphire Phelan

Karenne
June 28th, 2007, 05:20 PM
For me...it was The Stand by Stephen King. Kept me up and my mind working for weeks after reading it. It is a book that plays with your mind and on your fears:eek:

Snowpea
June 29th, 2007, 06:33 AM
The old original "Dracula" by Bram Stoker. Could not finish it because I was hearing things crawling on the outside of the house. The movie Coppola made (Bram Stoker's Dracula) was dreadful but the original book scared the Carp and the Sturgeon and the Angelfish right out of me.....The thing I find scary in Stephen King books is that nobody ever corrects the spelling and grammar in his manuscripts.....

gincat61
June 30th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Salem's Lot by Stephen King. Started off slow, but shifted into roller coaster drive and didn't let up.

Lila42
July 3rd, 2007, 04:41 PM
I can remember reading "The Shining" years ago. It actually kept me awake at night, it scared me so bad. I don't think I have been that frightened by a book since then.

Amy Corwin
January 31st, 2008, 02:34 PM
You took my book! I was going to say: The Shining by Steven King. I, personally, think that was his best and scariest book.

But my favorite horror book is: The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. I keep going back to it because to me, it is the perfect horror story. I love horror that is more atmospheric than blatant. I don't need or want a lot of gore--imagination is always better for me. :-)

In fact, that's why I like a lot of Barbara Michael's books. Strictly speaking, I guess they aren't horror, but I like the understated, ominous tone and the ghost aspect.

Another one of my favorites is Ghosts by Noel Hynd. I love that book and just finished it recently. It is excellent.

I wish there were more "haunted house" stories out there--they are my very favorite things on earth!!!

Aleka Nakis
January 31st, 2008, 05:43 PM
I haven't read it yet, but I've heard so much about James Goodman's, The Dance. I don't know about you, but head games really make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on alert. I have plans to read The Dance with all the lights on.
BTW: James has posted a thread on the book. And no, he's not my brother, and no, he didn't pay me to post this. lol
It just spooks me out.

Daelith
February 18th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I'm with Aleka, I don't think I've read it yet. Of course there were probably books I read when I was younger which scared me and I just can't remember now. :turned:

One that recently I wouldn't say scared me, but seriously creeped me out though was Dark Places by Linda Ladd. At one point, she had me out of bed and shaking out my sheets pillow cases.

hollie
February 18th, 2008, 06:08 PM
i don't tend to read scary books but Rob once read Stephen Kings Desperation while he was helping with the security at an open cast mine with a storm heading over he was sheet white when he got home

Aleka Nakis
February 19th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Creeped out is better. lol
It is one in the morning here and I have the kitchen and family-room lights on. I'm a chicken. lol

Daelith
February 19th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Creeped out is better. lol
It is one in the morning here and I have the kitchen and family-room lights on. I'm a chicken. lol
And I'm one to read the scary stuff at night by candlelight when we have power outages. I have a friend who thinks I'm nuts when I do that.

Sapphire Phelan
March 5th, 2008, 02:42 PM
LOL! I wrote a chapbook of four fiction ghost stories as Pamela K. Kinney, Beyond the Four Walls, published by Naked Snake Press and which one can order from Shocklines.com. More direct link:
http://shocklines.stores.yahoo.net/befowabbypak.html

I also have a nonfiction ghost book, Haunted Richmond, Virginia, publsihed by Schiffer Publsihing ( www.schifferbooks.com) out that's doing well. If you like to read true ghost stories, with local legends and myths mixed in too, you might like this. The last chapter involved me and my husband and inspired me to write "Call in the Night" that in Beyond the Four Walls.

Sapphire Phelan (writes also as Pamela K. Kinney)
http://FantasticDreams.50megs.com

In fact, that's why I like a lot of Barbara Michael's books. Strictly speaking, I guess they aren't horror, but I like the understated, ominous tone and the ghost aspect.

Another one of my favorites is Ghosts by Noel Hynd. I love that book and just finished it recently. It is excellent.

I wish there were more "haunted house" stories out there--they are my very favorite things on earth!!!

NancyHenderson
September 22nd, 2008, 09:16 PM
Book: The Exorcist. Scariest movie: Blair Witch project. I know, everyone tells me it wasn't scary, but it gave me the willies for weeks! I think because they never showed the witch, that what you don't know is scarier kind of thing.

Crystal-Rain Love
September 22nd, 2008, 11:34 PM
Stephen King's It.

It kind of helped that I already thought clowns were freakish. LOL!

querida
September 23rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Gotta agree with an earlier post---'Salem's Lot by Stephen King. I was around 10 when I read it, and that was the beginning of my love affair w/ all things vampire! :rolleyes: Also right up there was The Stand for me, too.

Crystal-Rain Love
September 23rd, 2008, 11:15 PM
Seriously, how does Stephen King sleep at night with all that scary stuff in his head?

Stephanie Adkins
September 24th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Cujo. LOL. I didn't sleep for a week after reading that.

Saturn Moonie
September 24th, 2008, 05:13 PM
The first thing I read that scared me, was The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. It was being adapted into a play tha I was going to be in, so I wanted to read the original. I didn't know anything about it, especially that someone was going to get stoned in the end of the book. Took me by surprise.

There's also The Taking by Dean Koontz. I was reading it in an empty house, after midnight, in the middle of a storm. Not good when there's a storm in the book too, I swear I thought I heard noises outside of my apartment. But I'm a sucker for punishment because I didn't stop reading it.

But the scariest book I have ever read, even after reading it 6 times, has to be Lord of the Flies by William Golding. I was reading that book at night as well, and when they killed the sow, I cried my eyes out, I was shaking, I felt violated. Then when they killed Simon, it was as if the book caught fire and burned my hands, I literally threw the book against the wall on the other side of my bedroom and left it there for about a month. But I had to finish it because it was my summer reading homework for A.P English. Let me tell you, after I read that book, I had that creepy crawly feeling all through my body for over a month. Everytime I saw a little boy, my breath would catch, and if they made eye contact...eek, it was all I could do not to run the other way screaming.

Christle Gray
September 24th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Seriously, how does Stephen King sleep at night with all that scary stuff in his head?

I wonder that myself, Rain.

I am a big King fan, and Salem's Lot scared the buh-jeebers out of me when I read it as a kid. Of course, it probably didn't help that I read it when I was alone, at night, in my aunt's big creepy house.

It fostered my vampire obsession, but I think what actually started me on that path was a silly book about a vampire bunny, called Bunnicula. I was never the same after that book - always fascinated by vampires...

Crystal-Rain Love
September 24th, 2008, 10:19 PM
The Lottery was also made into a TV movie with Dan Cortese and Keri Russell. Yeah, the end was shocking, to say the least.

querida
September 25th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Good Lord, I had to giggle...I completely remember Bunnicula! Maybe I've credited Salem's Lot incorrectly w/ my vampire attraction. I'm a closet bunny fan! :giggle:

JC Coy
October 26th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Salem's Lot by Stephen King. Started off slow, but shifted into roller coaster drive and didn't let up.
I read Salem's Lot when I was 13. I had just finished it, and I went trail riding alone in the woods. I stayed out too late and found myself riding in the dark. I didn't think I was going to make it home alive. All I could think about was that book. I rode the last mile at a dead gallop. LOL

I credit King with being responsible for warping me and making me want to write twisted stories. :right:

BretJordan
April 25th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Stephen King's Pet Semetery! The little undead boy with the scalpel freaked me out.