PDA

View Full Version : March 2011 -- Chat is Here! March 10, 2011

Miss Mae
March 10th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Greetings to Coffee Time, and to all the wonderful readers out there!

The Sweetest Romance Authors (http://thesweetestromanceauthors.blogspot.com) will be coming through all day to share the latest tidbits about new books, reviews, or even the recent happening with the weather! (there has been a LOT of that lately, right?)

Join us for fun and chatter! :M_Myellow:

Miss Mae
March 10th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Well, I'm a little late, but I made it. :)

We've had rain by the gallons over the past couple of days (or as I told someone, our yard looked like a swamp after it'd rained frogs and alligators), and I wanted to take the time to watch the news. Flood warnings are all around our area.

I love spring time, but not the storms that come with it!

So, readers, how have you been spending your time? Fighting with the weather where you live, or has your nose been stuck deep within the pages of a wonderful book? :)

Miss Mae
March 10th, 2011, 01:53 PM
So what does everyone think of the rocketing gas prices? Is it having an impact on your life, like, you know, your wallet???:taz:

Miss Mae
March 10th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Who is on Smashwords?

If there's someone who's unfamiliar with SW, it's a great site filled with digital books. Though well known publishers use the site, many (and I am one) self-pubbed authors take advantage. :)

Did you know this week, March 6 through 12, is "Read an ebook week" over there?

Yep! Sure is!

My books, Said the Spider to the Fly (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/44037), It's Extraordinary My (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27404) Dear Winifred, See No Evil My Pretty Lady (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/13752), Dove Island (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/4934), When the Bough Breaks (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/28571) are all on sale at 25% off!

All you need to do is, when at the shopping cart, enter code RAE25.

Great bargains, and lots of sweet books to choose from! :drooling[1]:

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Hi Miss Mae,
It's wonderful all the books you have on Smashwords. I would like to look into it for one of my books, but haven't had the time to do anything except go to the site. I just need to get busy.

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I see you mentioned your books on Smashwords. I can highly recommend Said the Spider to the Fly, because I read that one already and loved it. Kept me guessing to the end.

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 02:51 PM
About the gas prices. Ugh. Yes, it's ridiculously high. It's spring break time at the colleges and soon it will be spring break for the parochial schools. It seems they go up every year for spring break and summer vacation.

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 02:54 PM
:juggler:I see Miss Mae is offline. I'll take advantage of the quiet time to tell you that I recently joined the staff of The Clash of the Titles. I'm looking forward to it! I was introduced on their site yesterday and today. If anyone would like to read a brief article, "The Voice Within," about writing, it's at http://www.clashofthetitles.com While there read all about the site.

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Has anyone been reading a great book? Please share with us.

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 03:00 PM
:yes:Since there's no one here but me, I'll tell you about my book, Love Turns the Tide. It's been out a while, so some of you may already know about it. But here goes...

In Love Turns the Tide Cammie O’Shea faces a traumatic split-up with her fiancé and has to leave her family and friends to take a new job in Destin, Florida. Heartbroken and alone, she needs God more now than she ever has. But for some reason she can’t explain she feels more estranged from him. A feature writer, she dreads meeting her new boss, the editor of The Sun Dial, a newnewspaper. However, her real source of angst turns out to be Vic Deleona, the influential real estate tycoon she must write about to help get the paper off its feet. While she refuses to open herself to another painful relationship he attempts to court her. Trying to get over her heartache, she continues to read her Bible and say her prayers. One day she reads Romans 8:28, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him…” Afterward she ponders how living in Destin possibly could be good for her. Then, break-ins occur at her and her friend’s condos and make her doubt the wisdom of living in Destin even more. However, Vic comes to their rescue. He even launches his own investigation into the crimes. Just when Cammie sees a different side of him she gets an offer to return home to her old job. Will Vic solve the crimes and win Cammie’s heart or will she leave?

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Since it's just me and Love Turns the Tide, here's an excerpt:
After they returned to Cammie’s unit, Vic made himself at home in the kitchen, rattling the pots and pans in the cabinets until he found the George Foreman indoor grill. Putting it on the white tile counter he said, “Great, I like the idea of cooking in the comfort of your air conditioning.<o></o>

“Yes,” Cammie said as she got out rolls to heat.<o></o>

By the time Vic finished their entr&#233;e, it dawned on Cammie that she hadn’t set the table, so she reached for the plates at the same time Vic turned. Bumping into her he said, “Ooops, I’m sorry.”<o></o>

Then he put his arms around her, gazing at her with those dreamy eyes. Before she knew it her lips met his, and she was caught in an irresistible tide to a place she’d never been. He gently pushed her hair from her face, his eyes locked on hers, inviting her into his world. She didn’t want to go there because of the pain it might cause, but his kiss had awakened the sensitivities she’d tried so hard to bury. Attempting to disconnect from the warm feelings to escape any heartache caring about him might bring, she blinked and headed to the dining area to set the table.
<o></o>
After Cammie said a blessing, they sat down to eat. When she bit into her fish she couldn’t believe the sweet, delicate taste. She never would have imagined anyone so rugged and business-like could cook like that.<o></o>

“Well, what do you think?” he asked.<o></o>

“It’s delicious.”<o></o>

He smiled. “I’m glad you’re enjoying it.”<o>

</o> After Cammie finished he took their plates to the kitchen, where Cammie put them in the dishwasher. Still amazed by his cooking skills and wondering how he achieved the fruity taste, she said, “I liked the pineapple sauce you put over the fish.”<o></o>

Vic put his arm around her soulder. “It’s an old family recipe,” he said. Then he changed the subject. “How about a walk on the beach?<o></o>"

“I’d like that.” Cammie got a flashlight out of the drawer underneath the kitchen counter next to the door. Then the two of them strolled to the end of the dimly lit wooden walkway where a stiff wind cooled the night air. When they took off their shoes and set them at the end of the deck, Cammie glanced at the dark sky. “There aren’t many stars out tonight.”<o></o>

They sauntered beyond the dunes before Vic said, “You’re right. Also, it’s high tide and mighty breezy, so we may have this place to ourselves.”<o></o>

As far as Cammie could see by the light of the moon and spotlights on the nearby hotels, the area was deserted. But suddenly a man with his head down appeared in the beam of Cammie’s flashlight, his blue shirt caught in the wind. As he trudged closer and closer, he quickened his pace until finally be brushed past them.<o></o>

Even though he never had looked up, Cammie had seen him well enough to recognize him. As soon as he stepped out of earshot she said, “Vic, that was Beau, Angie’s brother. He seemed to come out of nowhere. He must have been hiding behind a dune. What on earth is he doing near Gulf Shore? Angie told me he lives in Fort Walton Beach.”<o></o>

Even though Cammie could see tiny wrinkles cross Vic’s brow in a reassuring tone he said, “Lots of people walk here.” Then he glanced at the sky and changed the subject. “I think we’re going to get rain. Let’s head back.”<o></o>

When they returned to Cammie’s unit, Vic looked concerned. “Cammie, when I leave lock the door.” Since securing one’s home was a habit with most people, Cammie thought his comment meant that he suspected Beau of breaking into Angie’s place. Even though he obviously wasn’t ready to say that seeing Beau on the beach had made him skeptical of him, apparently it had. He turned and pushed her hair away from her face. “Goodnight Cutie,” he said. Then he asked, “Can I call you?”<o></o>

Cammie couldn’t believe his change in attitude. He was no longer ordering her to tour his model unit, pick up pictures, or read her article to him. She wondered if those appointments had been his way of continuing to see her. Her heart melted. “Yes.”

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 03:15 PM
The only other news I have is the devotional series I'm running on my blog. I've had visits from some wonderful authors /writers. Some are giving away books. All of the devotionals have been inspirational. These are mixed in with author interviews and book giveaways some weeks too, so come on by and check it out. It's http://www.gailpallotta.blogspot.com

Miss Mae
March 10th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I deleted those pink smiley faces for you, Gail. :) Coffee Time is bad for adding them when we copy/paste. :)

Congrats on joining Clash of the Titles. I think that's so neat! :)

And if you need help with trying to get on at SW, let me know. I've joined the site. :)

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Oh thank you, Miss Mae,
I just went over to get the link for Escape from Tekron II. For those of you who visit The Sweetes Romance Authors Round Robin, you're in for a treat. This sci-fi takes lots of twists and turns as different authors contribute each week. I can brag on them as one of their readers. So come on over to http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=1103 (http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=1103) and check it out.

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the offer of help at SW. I may take you up soon on that. I have something I'd like to organize and put there. Just need to get 'er done.

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 03:25 PM
:M_Myellow:Miss Mae,
You got everyone off to a great start at Escape from Tekron II. When will you write another segment?

Laurean
March 10th, 2011, 03:27 PM
It's me! It's me! It's Laurean B! Finally made it back from town. How is everyone? It's co-o-old in Tennessee.

Miss Mae
March 10th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Your Tennessee cold is filtering down south, Laurie! LOL

And Gail, I'll end the segment on Escape from Tekron II. That's a few weeks off yet. :)

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Hi Laurean,
Great to see you here. It's cold in Georgia too. Can't believe it seems like winter just blew back in today.

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Your Tennessee cold is filtering down south, Laurie! LOL

And Gail, I'll end the segment on Escape from Tekron II. That's a few weeks off yet. :)
I'm looking forward to it!

Laurean
March 10th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Over The Coals has released! For only 99 cents, you can download a heartwarming, entertaining romance of hope and healing.

Why does Rob Canter exude a dual personality? Which is the real Rob...the gregarious flirt or the subdued introvert. Why does he avoid questions regarding his past? What is he hiding?

Jill will get the answers one way or the other. What will she find in her search, and will the truth destroy Rob?

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/44638/

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 03:37 PM
TwirlingWe need some of Grandpappy's lemonade to warm us up. We haven't had any in a long time.

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 03:38 PM
That sounds intriguing, Laurie. And what a great deal. Since I've read one of your books, I know what a great writer you are.

Miss Mae
March 10th, 2011, 03:40 PM
TwirlingWe need some of Grandpappy's lemonade to warm us up. We haven't had any in a long time.

smilies/champagne6.g

Brand new bottle, just opened for you, Gail! LOL

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 03:42 PM
smilies/champagne6.g

Brand new bottle, just opened for you, Gail! LOL
Ah yes, just what I needed. I'll share.

Laurean
March 10th, 2011, 03:42 PM
When the cold gets there, Miss Mae, keep it. LOL. Could you post my book cover for "Over The Coals" here on the chat? I'm clueless.

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 03:47 PM
What's everyone going to do the first really spring day we have? I think I'm going to find a patio, sit on it and soak up the sun and warm breeze. Might have to take a good book too.

Miss Mae
March 10th, 2011, 03:48 PM
It's been so long since I've done one, but I'll see if I remember:

Miss Mae
March 10th, 2011, 03:49 PM
What's everyone going to do the first really spring day we have? I think I'm going to find a patio, sit on it and soak up the sun and warm breeze. Might have to take a good book too.

Sitting out under a gorgeously bloomed dogwood tree is sheer delight, Gail. :)

Laurean
March 10th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Hey! Where's mine?

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 03:51 PM
It's been so long since I've done one, but I'll see if I remember:

I like the cover, Laurean and Miss Mae! Perfect for Laurean's title.

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Sitting out under a gorgeously bloomed dogwood tree is sheer delight, Gail. :)
Ah yes, I hope to see that tree show up on Doggie Tales. Tell everyone about your Doggie Tales site, Miss Mae.

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Hey! Where's mine?
Here ya' go, Laurean. Just what we need for a day like today.

Laurean
March 10th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Thanks, Gail. "Over The Coals" was part of "A Summer Collection" anthology. Now it's being sold separately as an e-book. At 15,000 words and 99 cents, I think it's a super deal. http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/44638/

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Thanks, Gail. "Over The Coals" was part of "A Summer Collection" anthology. Now it's being sold separately as an e-book. At 15,000 words and 99 cents, I think it's a super deal. http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/44638/
Absolutely. It sounds like such a good story.

Miss Mae
March 10th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Ladies, thanks for coming over, but I'm off for today. And here's Laurie's mug of lemonade!

:fridaynite:

Laurean
March 10th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Just a Reminder: You can download "Jonquils In the Snow" for free until Saturday, March 12. Be sure to type in the coupon code in the upper right corner, when instructed.

Blurb:

Miranda Stevens' fiance broke their engagement two days before the wedding. She's sworn off men. All they do is make promises, then break them. Then an ice storm hits Piketon and Brady Watson shows up at her door. The ruggedly, handsome tree service man melts Miranda's resolve.

Brady Watson's anger has morphed into grief over the death of his wife by a drunk driver. Can he let go? Will he ever be happy again? Miranda reminds him of Celia. Could it be possible...?

A story of loss and hope for a new beginning? Will the answer come from a cluster of Jonquils bursting through the February snow?

Laurean
March 10th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Oh shoot! I forgot to post the link to "Jonquils In The Snow" by Laurean Brooks. http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/9341/ Don't forget It's FREE! FREE through March 12, 2011!

Laurean
March 10th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks, Miss Mae! This Lemonade is just what I needed. Here's a great big toast to Grandpappy.

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Oh shoot! I forgot to post the link to "Jonquils In The Snow" by Laurean Brooks. http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/9341/ Don't forget It's FREE! FREE through March 12, 2011!
Free, free. Well, you can't beat that for a good book.

Laurean
March 10th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks for attaching the cover for Over The Coals, Miss Mae. It IS a lovely cover, if I say so myself. Tee-hee. http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/44638/

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 04:11 PM
How did you come up with the name, Jonquils in the Snow?

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Great chatting with you, Miss Mae. Have a wonderful, warm rest of the day.

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Jonquils on the Snow is such an interesting title. How did you decide on it, Laurean?

Laurean
March 10th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Gail, the title was fitting. The story is based on a devastating ice storm we had two years ago in our area (NW Tennessee and SW Kentucky). I wrote it last year the same week of the anniversary of that storm that broke so many limbs, some have never been cleared. The trees still show the signs--like they were struck by a heavy-duty tornado.

About the title: I was gazing out the window and saw a cluster of Jonquils peeking through the snow. I thought, Hm-mm. What would that signify? Spring. And with it restored hope, strength, and a new beginning. It fit with my story of loss. Don't be fooled. As with all my stories, this one is loaded with humor.

Jonquils In the Snow--Enjoy this heartwarming, sad, and funny romance for FREE while it lasts!
Yes, get a Free download through March 12, 2011!! http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/9341/

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 04:23 PM
How about an excerpt from Jonquils in the Snow?

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Gail, the title was fitting. The story is based on a devastating ice storm we had two years ago in our area (NW Tennessee and SW Kentucky). I wrote it last year the same week of the anniversary of that storm that broke so many limbs, some have never been cleared. The trees still show the signs--like they were struck by a heavy-duty tornado.

About the title: I was gazing out the window and saw a cluster of Jonquils peeking through the snow. I thought, Hm-mm. What would that signify? Spring. And with it restored hope, strength, and a new beginning. It fit with my story of loss. Don't be fooled. As with all my stories, this one is loaded with humor.

Jonquils In the Snow--Enjoy this heartwarming, sad, and funny romance for FREE while it lasts!
Yes, get a Free download through March 12, 2011!! http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/9341/
Interesting. I love that the jonquils really were peeking through the snow. I like symbols.

DanielleThorne
March 10th, 2011, 04:33 PM
[quote=Laurean;142729]Just a Reminder: You can download "Jonquils In the Snow" for free until Saturday, March 12. Be sure to type in the coupon code in the upper right corner, when instructed.

I've been wanting to add this to my stockpile for sometime. What a great deal at Smashwords. I love the blurb, and I know from your book, Journey to Forgiveness, that I'll love this. I'm downloading it as I type!

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Hi Danielle,
Great to see you! What's new with you. You have a free read too, don't you?

Gail Pallotta
March 10th, 2011, 04:38 PM
It's been great chatting. Duties are calling me. See you next time.

DanielleThorne
March 10th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Hi Sweeties and Guests,

I hope everyone is having a lover-ly afternoon. It's great to find all these deals at Smashwords this week and find out about new books.

This month I've been busy editing for the two e-pubbers I work for but I have enjoyed visiting with everyone on Facebook and on The Sweetest Romance Authors yahoo list.

Last month I found out my January release, THE PRIVATEER, was a best seller so that was blessed surprise. This month I'm selling my environmental romance, TURTLE SOUP, at Smashwords for 75% off. Steals and deals all over the place!

My two next books to purchase? Besides some shorts I am downloading today, I plan to read LOYALTY'S WEB by Joyce DiPastena and LAB PARTNERS by Larry Hammersly. I also hope to pick up an EA West book this spring. So many books, so little time!

Have a great day!
Danielle Thorne

DanielleThorne
March 10th, 2011, 04:41 PM
It's been great chatting. Duties are calling me. See you next time.

Looks like everyone's off for errands. Have a great day, Gail. Sorry I missed you at the chat early today. Good luck!

Laurean
March 10th, 2011, 05:32 PM
JONQUILS IN THE SNOW http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/9341/ FREE Download until March 12, 2011!! Take advantage of this offer.

Excerpt:

Miranda sighed before returning her gaze to the man working in her yard. He pulled off his thick gloves to blow on his hands, rubbing them together.

He must be freezing! Where are my manners? According to the weatherman, the temps weren't expected to rise above 28 degrees. Mr. Brady could use a cup of coffee or hot cocoa right now.

She flew to the bathroom, brushed her shoulder-length chestnut hair, then applied a touch of blush and mascara. Taking a deep breath, she opened the door and stepped cautiously onto the icy porch.

What am I doing? For all I know this guy could be Jack The Ripper. Somehow, she didn't think so, and prided herself on being an exceptional judge of character.

Oh, yeah? What about Rick? her conscience screamed. Miranda told it to shut up and waited for Mr. Brady to heave a huge limb onto the back of his truck. "Mr. Bra-dy! Come inside and warm up!"

He tramped through the snow toward the porch, gripping the handrail before placing a boot on each slippery step. Once on the porch, he leaned against the wall to remove his insulated rubber boots. "I don't want to track up your floor," he explained.

When they reached the kitchen, he pulled off his toboggan to reveal thick golden hair that curled over his collar. He caught Miranda staring and smiled, but she recognized pain in the depths of those honey-colored eyes. Had he been jilted, too?

Shut up, Miranda! This man could be married with children, for all you know. She held her breathe whil he pulled of his left glove.

Nope. No ring. Her heart soared. But, why had she allowed her thoughts to stray there? Had she forgotten her "Never again," vow?

"Coffee or hot cocoa? I make a mean cup of cocoa. My grandmother's secret recipe."

When he smiled, his face lit up. "Hot cocoa. So, what's in this recipe?"

"Can't tell," she grinned impishly. "It's a secret. If I told you, then..." she sighed, "...I'd have to kill you."

The man threw his head back and laughed. "Then I'll let you keep your little secret."

Their eyes met. An awkward moment followed. Miranda tried to think of something clever to say to break the spell. Riley sauntered in, sat down on his haunches and whimpered. The Yellow Lab offered a paw to their guest. He reached down to knuckle the dog's head and accept the proffered paw.

"How is the cleanup coming along?" Miranda asked.

Her guest took a deep breath. "It's down to around twenty-five percent now--the ones without electricity. By next week all Piketon residents should have their current back on."

"I'm sure that will be a relief. Mine was off a week. That was too long."

Miranda pulled out a saucepan and reached inside the fridge for the milk. When she rummaged through the cabinet, the man quirked an eyebrow. "Should I turn my back? Wouldn't want to see anything that would endanger my life."

Miranda giggled. "Might be a good idea." She felt like a silly school girl. When he turned his back, she pulled the ingredients from the cabinet. "I'll let you know when you can look." She poured in a dab of warm water, scooped in cocoa, and stirred in the milk before dashing in another ingredient. After slipping it back inside the cabinet, she said, "Okay, it's safe to turn around."

He breathed a mock sigh of relief. "Thanks. Where can I wash up?"

Miranda couldn't remember if she'd left her sunflower-speckled pajamas on the bathroom floor. Just in case..."You can wash up there, at the kitchen sink, if you don't mind honey-suckle scented soap."

His sparkling eyes crinkled when he smiled. "Hey, as long as it works."

Stirring the sweet concoction over the heat, a delicious aroma floated through the air. Her secret ingredient. Had the delectable scent reached him? She glanced toward the sink. His focus appeared to be on lathering his large hands.

......Mm-mmm that was delicious. I'd better get back to work....He rose and turned to leave.

"Mr. Brady, you forgot this." She offered him his discarded toboggan.

"Thanks." He stopped, then turned to face her. "Guess I should have introduced myself. Brady is my first name. It's Brady Watson."

.....She followed him to the door.

......He descended the icy steps and threw up a hand. "Thanks for the cocoa." He clucked his tongue. "But--I figured out the secret ingredient."

"Better watch your back!" Miranda formed a snowball from the layer on the porch railing and threw it. The snowball struck him between the shoulder blades. He whirled around to point a finger in mock-warning. She giggled. She'd laughed more today than since Rick deserted her.

For the rest of the story, download using coupon code on Smashwords site.

DanielleThorne
March 10th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Hi Sweeties,

I enjoyed the excerpt from Jonquils today and I downloaded it from Smashwords for future reading.

Making some stew in the crockpot tonight. It's gotten cold and rainy outside. Brr!

Today I finished a first round edit on a beautiful Inspirational that will come out soon from Desert Breeze. I love working with their sweet romance writers.

Haven't seen Ms. Regina Andrews around today but I know her new Inspie Romance, THE LIGHT OF THE HEART is out now...it's really good, I recommend!

If anyone else is around tonight, just holler!