PDA

View Full Version : Ebb & Flow of Chapters

LinnRandom
March 14th, 2011, 06:41 AM
RECAP:

As you begin to write your book, you now have your main hook in place to capture your readerís attention. You have introduced your cast of characters and the event of your hook sets your mystery into action.

You have your cast of characters, your plot and subplots, your setting and the duration of your book.

The hook has now set the plot and your novel into motion.

My Hook in Lights, Camera. Murder is my heroine looking down at a dead body. This starts the action of the novel.

Next is introduction of the characters and setting up conflict between them but my hook, the main plot has given them a mission to solve. In this case and in most of our cases a murder mystery to solve.

My first turning point is when my hero and heroine realize they must work together and work around their differences to solve the murder.

In the first turning point or point of conflict in Lights, Camera. Murder! when Jon orders Sage to get away from his crime scene to which she definitely responds, this is her production set and she is in charge. The argument and conflict between the hero and herione contuinues.

Obviously these two characters are forced into a situation where they are forced to work together.

Grudgingly they begin to respect one another though the course of the novel as their interest in one another develops the sexual attraction they feel toward one another builds, leads to mutual respect and eventually Ėas this is a romantic suspense Ė develops into deeper feelings and then love. Their falling in love is a subplot.

But first back to the main plot. There is a murder to solve!

Writing the Mystery Novel

As you write your book, develop action then natural reaction scene by scene by scene.
In Lights, Camera Murder! My heroine finds a dead body; naturally she must notify the law enforcement. My hero then calls the crime scene investigators and then the local medical examiner.

As I want to end my chapter on a high point of more action and suspense; I have my heroine stumble over a second body at the end of the chapter.

Throughout this chapter and each of the following chapters you will find the natural flow of cause and effect or action and reaction. All the steps are logical as the story unfolds.

The story continues scene by scene by scene. A clue here will lead your heroine to a resolution there. Each scene should naturally flow into the next one. And, each scene should move the plotline forward to the end goal.

Make your characterís action and reaction logical. Keep within the traits and characteristics of the hero and heroine but give them a chance to grow.

Your villain may appear like a nice guy until the revelation that he is an evil one and it's perfectly alright to lead your characters down a wrong path while they are solving your crime.

Drop your clues about the villain in the middle of the chapter and in the middle of a paragraph.

Your novel should read like a wonderful score of music where the plot continues to build and build and build until the bookís climax but first you must build your book chapter by chapter.

Scenes are your building blocks. I usually have three scenes per chapter. Sometimes less, sometimes more but the general rule of thumb for me is three scenes per chapter.

How many scenes you write per chapter is up to you, itís your style itís okay to do your chapters as you please.

Tomorrow, I am going to go more in depth on taking your ideas and developing them in the chapters of your Plot Book.

Have a good day everyone. Please feel free to comment on your scenes per chapter.

Linn