PDA

View Full Version : I'm here!!!

denisepatrick
July 5th, 2007, 01:02 PM
:wazzapp:Hello and welcome to Denise's Den on Coffee Time. Come on in, pull up a chair and curl up with a book - hopefully one of mine.

I have to thank Karenne for getting me set up so quickly and giving me a place of my own for now (since I just don't have the time at the moment for a website).

I hope that I'll get a chance to chat with readers and other authors.

Karenne
July 5th, 2007, 02:09 PM
:wub: Awwww ..your welcome! I am just glad you are here! Thanks for joining our forum family Denise!

denisepatrick
July 5th, 2007, 07:39 PM
OK, so a little about me. I haven't been writing forever - it just feels like it. Jr Hi is a long, long ways in the distant past.

I'm a history nut and big historical fan. In fact, before I got a bug to write my inspirational, historicals were all I read.

All that said, I'm going to abandon everyone for a week (maybe I should have waited to get this set up), while I take six kids on a mission trip to a reservation in South Dakota for a week. I'm looking forward to it, but it means that there will be no activity on this thread for a week. We'll be back next Saturday.

But, to keep you entertained for a short period of time, you can check out my blog - where you'll find pictures and commentary from my recent trip to Germany.

When I get back, I'll be running a contest for those who have read my inspirational, Adopting Alyssa. If you haven't got your copy yet, now would be a good time. For a description, go here. (http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/showthread.php?t=1137) For an excerpt, go here (http://www.squidoo.com/denisepatrick/). There will be prizes for girls of all ages.

So, enough for now. Be back later; hopefully at least once more before I leave for SD.

Karenne
July 5th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Busy lady! I love historicals!

Going to check out your blog!:GEEK:

Lainey
July 6th, 2007, 01:35 AM
OH it sounds like you have your hands full this week but am sure the kids will be good on the trip and hopefully they are older so not too hard to corral and obey you... I know probably not but good luck and thanks for joining our family. Will be sure to check out the blog too.

Lainey

denisepatrick
July 6th, 2007, 01:48 AM
OH it sounds like you have your hands full this week but am sure the kids will be good. . .hopefully they are older

They are all high school students, so they are pretty easy. And, both my kids will be going along. My youngest is the outgoing president of the group (he graduated HS this year) and the kids look up to him. My daughter is my assistant leader for the group, too. We are all looking forward to this trip.

Karenne
July 6th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Sounds like you have great kids Denise. Good for you!

denisepatrick
July 7th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Thanks, Karenne. I think so, too, even when they are driving me nuts!!!

denisepatrick
September 20th, 2007, 06:20 PM
So, it's been ages since I've been out here. Well, not really - it just seems like it.

I'm waist-deep in editing my November release (which I'm hoping will get out on time, despite a few bumps along the road), but I hope to be able to put up my cover soon. I've previewed it and it's gorgeous!! (And, no, I'm not biased at all! :lol:)

So, I've added another little vignette to my Gypsy Legacy thread and hope to get back again soon.

Karenne
September 20th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Well you have been busy working on a new book...that is an acceptable reason to not be around as much (wink)

denisepatrick
November 21st, 2007, 10:11 PM
Well, gee. I finally have a few minutes of time, so I thought I'd drop in and let everyone know what's going on.

As for me, with the release of Gypsy Legacy: The Marquis on Tuesday, I'm breathing a big sigh of relief. There was a time when my editor and I thought there was a gypsy curse on it. Let's hope the second one doesn't prove to be as difficult.

And, yes, I'm polishing up the second book in the series and will be sending it off to my editor this weekend. If I'm lucky it will be an early Summer '08 release, with, hopefully, the third book in the Fall. At least, that's what I'm shooting for. Once I get those settled, it will be back to writing a Regency that I had to put on the back burner to get these out.

In the middle of all of that, my next Inspirational comes out in January. Strikes Don't Matter will feature Gina from Adopting Alyssa. I will be starting a thread for it in December.

So, that's what I'm up to these days. How about everyone else? Anything fun and exciting going on in your lives?

To everyone who is celebrating - Happy Thanksgiving!

Karenne
November 22nd, 2007, 11:01 PM
Well we have missed you Denise! BUT it sounds like you have been really really busy!:winkiss:

Dani
November 22nd, 2007, 11:43 PM
Wow, you're a very busy lady these days, but well worth the work to get the books out.

I had a great Thanksgiving and I hope you did to if you celebrate it. Turkeyicon

Linda L Lattimer
November 26th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Hi Denise, good to see you back, sounds like you have really been busy, looking forward to reading your latest

hugs Linda

denisepatrick
November 30th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Thanks Karenne, Dani, and Linda. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and is not feeling overwhelmed yet by the onset of the Christmas Season.

I'm not, yet, but I'm sure that soon I will be working on more edits for that January release, so for now I'm taking a break and working on Christmas gifts.

I'm also in charge of decorating for the office Christmas party to be held on Dec 19. And, before that, I have my daughter's birthday to organize. December is a busy month.

So, do any of you have any special things you do to get ready for the holidays? For me, it's decorating my office at work and listening to Christmas songs. Then, I'm ready.

Tomorrow I'll pull out the Advent Calendar I made for the kids and put small candies in the pockets for each day. It's a cross-stitched one that - I kid you not - took me 15 years to finish!! I kept putting it away and forgetting about it. I still have a few sewing projects that got started and never finished - and probably never will be now.

Oh, well, I have other things to make this year that will keep me busy.

Dani
December 2nd, 2007, 01:05 AM
We just put up and decorate a tree and maybe put out a few of the Christmas Animals statues that we have, listen to some Christmas music and cook/bake for the holidays.

I've never had the guts to cross stitch an Advent calander because that's a big project (or it can be). I'm working on a cross stitch project now and I'm trying to get the will up to finish up my pink dragon (my biggest piece to date). :lol:

hollie
December 2nd, 2007, 08:52 AM
xmasreindeer we're just having lunch then Stephen is going to help put up decorations between him and the dogs it should be funxmasrofl xmastreelights

denisepatrick
December 7th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Good luck with that pink dragon, Dani. Are you stitching it for someone special?

So, Hollie, did the dogs help or hinder the decorating efforts?

We need to decide when to put up the tree here. Traditionally it goes into the corner where my computer sits, so I've been stalling. But, I'm not going to be able to stall much longer.

I don't get a lot of writing done during the holidays anyway, but this year I'm working on a new story that I want to continue to work on, so we'll have to see what we decide.

hollie
December 7th, 2007, 04:51 AM
So, Hollie, did the dogs help or hinder the decorating efforts?

xmastreedecor well they didn't hinder much while we were putting the stuff up but the pup has already chewed the new lights so they don't work now and she keeps pulling the tinsel off the tree

Dani
December 7th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Good luck with that pink dragon, Dani. Are you stitching it for someone special?
Thanks for the luck. I think I'm going to need it. I wasn't stitching it for anyone special when I started it, but my son decided it was going to be his whether it was pink or not. :lol:

Here's what it looks like so far (click on the picture to see it bigger)...http://thumb7.webshots.net/t/59/559/9/51/23/2874951230084937107OuiSjm_th.jpg (http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/546857456AhHtIS)

hollie
December 7th, 2007, 02:46 PM
xmastreedecor looks cool Dani i've got 2 or 3 on the go but never seem to finish them

Dani
December 7th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Thanks Hollie! Look at the other albums if you can and you'll see the only ones I've finished (well the ones I took pics of anyway). :biggrin:

hollie
December 7th, 2007, 03:12 PM
xmastreedecor they're lovely Dani I'll have to dig mine out and get them finished (when i find time)

denisepatrick
December 7th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Very nice, Dani. Make sure you post a pic when it's finished.

Maybe I'll post a pic of my advent calendar. I rather like it. This year, with both kids living in the dorms, dh and I are eating the candy out of it - bad us!!!

hollie
December 7th, 2007, 03:16 PM
xmastreedecor Rob bought me an advent calender this year so i don't have to beg the kids to share thier chocolate

Dani
December 7th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I got lucky that my parents didn't want the chocolate out of mine when I was young. :lol:

hollie
December 7th, 2007, 03:30 PM
xmastreedecor i never get it even if i do beg thats probably why he bought me one lol

Linda L Lattimer
December 7th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I finally decorated a little tree, wanted to see the lights blink on and off

Linda

denisepatrick
December 8th, 2007, 10:09 PM
This is the message I tried to post this morning:

Well, today is supposed to be my RWA Chapter's Christmas Luncheon. So, what happens, it's been snowing since last night and the roads are a mess. I'll go (since it's not too far from me), but my guess is the 30 or so we were expecting will be more like 5-10, if that many make it.

And, my youth group is signed up to do bell ringing for the Salvation Army in front of a local store this afternoon. It's only a one hour slot, but if the weather keeps up, it's going to be a very long one hour.

I hope everyone is enjoying the Season and keeping warm and dry.

Now that the day is over, I can tell you that 11 people showed up for the luncheon. It was still fun, but with less people.

The bell ringing went well. I was surprised how fast the hour went. Thankfully, it just barely started to snow as our hour was almost up.

Now, I'm home, warm, and dry, and I'm going back to my sewing.

Dani
December 9th, 2007, 02:27 AM
Glad everything went well for you Denise. :)

denisepatrick
January 27th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Want to know more about me? Here's your chance. I was interviewed by Joyce Anthony and it's up on her blog (http://joyceanthony.tripod.com/blog/index.blog/1781539/getting-to-know-denise-patrick/). So, hop on over and check it out.

Dani
January 27th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Great interview Denise.

So will the fourth book you were speaking of be in the Gypsy Legacy series setting or will it be different?

denisepatrick
January 27th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks, Dani.

The fourth book is not part of the series because it has nothing to do with the "Gypsy" in "Gypsy Legacy". But, it's related because the hero in it is the brother of the hero in Book Two and many of the characters from the Gypsy Legacy Series show up in it. It's called "Family Scandals".

Thanks for asking.

Linda L Lattimer
February 3rd, 2008, 10:12 PM
Waving back to Denise, great interview Denise

Linda

denisepatrick
March 5th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I've got news, but I can't say anything just yet. *squirming in my seat*

I'm hoping I'll be able to come out and post it by the weekend. And, I'm hoping to have more good news by Sunday.

That is, if the anticipation doesn't kill me first!!:whistilin:

Dani
March 5th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I hope you'll be able to tell soon. I'm really excited to hear what it is.

Linda L Lattimer
March 7th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Denise, can hardly wait to hear what you have to tell

keeping fingers crossed

Linda

denisepatrick
March 9th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I was hoping to have two pieces of good news by today, but since I didn't win the EPPIE, I only have one. So be it. I knew the competition was tough.

In other news, my editor has said she will be sending me a contract for the second book in my Gypsy Legacy series. Tentatively, The Duke may be a September release! If that works out, it will release the same month the first book in the series, The Marquis, comes out in print.

Dani
March 9th, 2008, 10:34 PM
WooHoo!!! Congratulations Denise. That's awesome news. Bouncy Icon Smilie

denisepatrick
May 12th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Just wanted to announce that I now have a website!! Please go out and look around and tell me what you think!

My Website (http://www.freewebs.com/denisepatrick/)

hollie
May 13th, 2008, 01:02 PM
thats wounderful Denise congratulations

Linda L Lattimer
May 13th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Wow, looks good Denise,

hugs Linda

denisepatrick
May 14th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Thank you, Hollie and Linda. I'm still tweaking it. I want to create a different background and maybe header, but for now I'm content with it.

Dani
June 3rd, 2008, 12:41 AM
Just wanted to announce that I now have a website!! Please go out and look around and tell me what you think!

My Website (http://www.freewebs.com/denisepatrick/)
Beautiful site Denise! :biggrin:

denisepatrick
June 3rd, 2008, 11:11 AM
Thanks Dani. Now, if I could just leave it alone for a couple of days. I keep going back and tweaking stuff.

denisepatrick
July 4th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I'll be away for the next week. When I get back, I'm hoping I will have a new cover to post. In the meantime, hop on over to The Duke thread for the blurb for my August release.

I'll be back around July 13. See everyone then.

Dani
July 4th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Have fun on vacation! Bouncy Icon Smilie

sabby07
July 5th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Have fun and its a beautiful site!!

denisepatrick
August 6th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I definitely have to get out here more often. Life is just too busy these days. Where did July go anyway?

Last week I was in San Francisco at the National RWA conference. I came back with so many good books that I can't wait to read them all. I don't know when I'll have time to do all the writing I promised myself I'd do, too.

It was an interesting conference. The workshops were great - and, of course, the people were just wonderful. I had an agent appointment and had a good chat about the Inspirational historical market. Of course, I had to admit that my latest project wasn't done yet, but she was fine with that. Just told me to send it on when I was done. I told her it probably wouldn't be before the end of the year at the rate I was going. Somedays, having a day job sucks - but I'm not about to quit mine. I actually like it!

All in all, it was a great week, but it will probably be a couple of years before I go to another one.

Dani
August 7th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Sounds like you're going to be busy for a very long time.

denisepatrick
August 12th, 2008, 12:51 PM
This is a cross-post from my blog:

Well, the day finally arrived. Looking at the state of the basement since June, I don't think I really thought my daughter would finally get herself packed up enough to move out to school, but she did it. Of course she left a huge mess and many more of her clothes than I thought she would, but she has essentially "moved out." She and her brother left this morning with her car packed to the gills. We will pack up what she couldn't fit into her car and follow tomorrow.

Having had both kids living in the dorms this past year has given us a taste of what it's like to essentially be "empty nesters," but this year it will feel very different. At least, last year both kids were still in the same city. After today, it will no longer be true. Both kids won't even be in the same state.

There is no doubt that while the hubby and I will miss her, and the people at church will miss her, her brother will miss her the most. They are truly best friends and she was definitely his anchor. This next year will be a year of growth for both of them. Another stage in life has been reached. It will be interesting to see what it brings.

I also posted a YouTube video of The Sound of Music song, So Long, Farewell. I thought it was fitting for today, but you'll have to go there to watch and listen.

Dani
August 12th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Awww, Denise that's sad. I have a feeling though that it's going to be as hard on them as it is on you and your husband, but at least you have the house all to yourselves now. That's one thing my parents loved about the fact that I had moved out. Sadly for them that's over since my son and I moved home. Someday it might be the same again for them though. LOL!

denisepatrick
October 10th, 2008, 12:19 PM
So, it's been an eventful week and I've had some good news - twice!

Last weekend was our Utah Romance Writers Conference. The Theme was Fall In Love With Writing Again. It was a blast. Our featured author was Julia Quinn. If I had a hero(ine), she would be it. I just love her books. Even though she had a cold, she was fun, witty, gracious, and just a neat person to be around and talk to.

We had other great authors there, too. Sherry Lewis, current RWA President, Nicole Jordan, Lynn Kurland, RaeAnne Thayne, Melissa Mayhue, and Victoria Dahl are all members of our chapter. We also had Mary Martinez, Lisa Dawn MacDonald and KyAnn Waters, Phyllis Campbell, Shari Thayn, Crystal Jordan, and more that I can't remember. It was a fun time.

At the Awards Luncheon on Saturday, we announced the winners of our Heart of the West Contest and our Chapter Contest, The Golden Pen. I was really surprised to win because I always feel my entries could be better, but the real surprise came after I received my trophy. The contest coordinator came up to me and said that the editor that judged the Golden Pen asked for a full. :jawdrop: Once again, words fail me, but I'm excited. Unfortunately, the manuscript isn't finished yet, so I've got work to do. (This is why I rarely enter contests unless the book is finished. I never expect it to happen, but if it does, I feel stupid. That's what I get for breaking my own rule!)

My second bit of good news happened this morning when I opened my email and found a 5-book review from The Long and the Short of I (http://www.longandshortreviews.com/LASR/1008/TheGypsyLegacyMarquis-DP.htm)t. That was very much appreciated and has me walking on air today.

hollie
October 10th, 2008, 12:23 PM
:pinkjump: oh wow thats wonderful news congratulations. I loved The Duke i just need to get book one now i know i'm supposed to do it the other way

Dani
October 10th, 2008, 07:09 PM
That's excellent Denise!! Congratulations! :huepfen017:

denisepatrick
October 11th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks, Hollie and Dani.

Hollie, I tried to make them stand alone book, so if you weren't totally confused by the relationships, you are just fine. It's true, they do read better in order, it's just not necessary. And, I'm just glad you liked it.

And, I thank you for that great review. I just got notice of it today in my email.

denisepatrick
November 30th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I haven't been out here in a while, so I thought it was time to update everyone on what's been going on. It has been a very hectic month or so.

First of all, at work, my new boss has decided that I need more work, so he's been piling it on. Not that I don't appreciate his confidence in me, but I've barely had time to breathe. Add to that the fact that our offices have been remodeled and we were all supposed to move by early November, but instead just got moved the day before Thanksgiving and you had a very stressful month.

At home, things are going well, but I've been trying to finish the book the editor asked for back in October and I'm having no luck finding the time. With Church stuff taking up more time than I'd like it to, it's just been a hectic last few months all around. Now that football season is over, things should calm down. (My youth group does parking for the local university as a fundraiser during football season. It's good money, but it's a headache.)

Now that the holiday season is here, I am looking forward to things calming down a little. Work will still be hectic, but my dh and I are flying out this morning a quick 10-day vacation to help the stress levels.:walking1: I'm just glad we'd planned this vacation before the economy went south, or we'd have had second thoughts.

So, I'll see everyone when I get back from Germany. We will be visiting Christkindlmarkts (Christmas markets), so I'm excited and can't wait.

Dani
November 30th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I hope you have a great time in Germany!! I also hope things will calm down for you soon.

denisepatrick
April 17th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Gee, I'm sorry. It's been forever since I've been out here, but I've added another snippet to my background thread and will get back out to update you with progress on WIPs and coming releases soon.

I hope everyone is having a great year and reading lots of great books!!

Dani
April 17th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Welcome back Denise! :huepfen017:

I can't wait to hear about your updates and read the background thread (I'm heading there now).

denisepatrick
April 24th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I found a place to make banners and have been experimenting. I even figured out how to put it in my signature, but now that it's there, I think it's too big for here. So, I thought I'd get your opinion. . .

What do you think? Like it? or not? Suggestions to make it stand out more? It takes me a long time to learn new things, but I was surprised at how easily I made this one.

The site is bannersketch.com (http://www.bannersketch.com). If you're looking for an easy place to make them and are a techno-phobe like me, it's the place. And they are free with no watermark!!

hollie
April 24th, 2009, 11:32 AM
it's great sweetie i'm going to show my daughter the site she loves doing stuff like that and she is really good at it. if you look on my profile page there is a file called Jojo some of her work is in there

Dani
April 24th, 2009, 06:54 PM
It looks great Denise! I'll have to check that site out. :biggrin:

denisepatrick
April 25th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Hollie, those are some gorgeous pictures. Your daughter does great work. My next step is to figure out if I can put a different graphic on each frame of a banner. I'd like to create a banner with all my covers on it when I get my last cover.

denisepatrick
January 4th, 2010, 12:30 AM
I hope everyone had a great Holiday Season and is looking forward to 2010. I'm hoping this year won't be as busy as the last, so I can spend more time out here. I feel like I all but abandoned this place in the last half of the year.

I have finally turned in Edward's story to my editor and am waiting on feedback. I don't expect to hear from her for at least a few weeks, so I can concentrate on the new Regency I just started. Just in case you don't remember - or haven't read The Duke - Edward is the brother of the hero in The Duke. I just felt he needed his own story.

hollie
January 4th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Oh i can't wait to read it

Dani
January 5th, 2010, 01:17 AM
That's wonderful Denise! I can't wait to read it.

denisepatrick
July 17th, 2011, 11:20 PM
OK, so I haven't been out here since forever and a day and I have lots of news - some good and some not so good. So, let's jump right in and I'll give you an update.

My editor rejected Edward's story, Family Scandals, but we had a nice long chat about it and I have been working through a re-write that I think will be much better. So, it may still be a year off.

In the meantime, I got a new editor and she just contracted The Scarred Heir. That is due out in January 2012.

I have finished The Scarred Heart, but am polishing it up for subbing. I'm hoping to have it done by the end of this week.

The third book is tentatively called The Scarred Hero. It's still sitting in my head with only a barebones plot.

Meanwhile, I entered my Regency Inspirational in a contest (I don't remember which one) and it won the Inspirational category. The final judge, an editor from Bethany House, asked for the full. Of course (story of my life), it's not finished.

I have now made a hard and fast rule. DO NOT enter contests unless the manuscript is at least 90% finished. I've been sitting on my hands lately to resist the urge to enter it in my local chapter's contest because they are low on entries, but I don't dare risk winning and having another editor ask for a full I don't have. Does that sound too conceited? I love entering contests because I usually get great feedback, but if I win, then I feel the pressure to get it finished and I am a very slow writer.

And, in a non-writing-related piece of news. My daughter is getting married in December. Needless to say it has been an extremely eventful year. The last two months have been particularly hectic. We found a dress in June, and last week she called and said she was having second thoughts about it. So, she has come home to help out during my convalescence, and yesterday we went shopping again - and found another dress that she loves. Let's hope so.

So, that's all the 'good' news. I'll put the 'bad' news in a separate post.

denisepatrick
July 17th, 2011, 11:34 PM
On Friday (July 22), I will be having surgery to drain an arachnoid cyst that has been in my head for over 20 years. It started out fairly small and I was supposed to keep an eye on it. Unfortunately, I forgot about it about 15 years ago, and now it has more than doubled in size. My neurologist said that over the years it has apparently grown so slowly that my body has compensated for it, so I haven't had any symptoms. Regardless, it needs to be dealt with.

The particulars are: 5 hour surgery; hospital stay of 3-5 days (one of which will be in ICU); 3-6 week recovery period at home. I'm actually hoping I will be able to get online or write a bit while I'm at home, but we'll see.

Dani
July 21st, 2011, 04:09 PM
Congrats on all your good news Denise!! I'm so happy for you. :huepfen017:

I will also be keeping you in my prayers for a successful surgery and a speedy, but healthy recovery. HugMe

denisepatrick
July 21st, 2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks, Dani.

denisepatrick
December 2nd, 2011, 03:28 AM
So, it has been hectic since August. Even though I was off work for an entire month, very little writing got done. *sigh*

The surgery and recovery went well, though. I have parts of my scalp that are still numb. The doctor says it's because they had to cut through some nerves and he doesn't know if the nerves will regenerate or not, so I may not get the feeling back there. I guess it's a wait and see thing.

So, now it's December, the wedding is in five days and I'm also pulling together promo stuff for my January release. Could it be just a little more hectic?

Of course it can - I just got my edits on The Scarred Heart and my editor needs them back by Sunday (two days before the wedding!). I know she'll understand if I don't get them back in time, but I hate to get off schedule.

So, of course, I started a new thread for it. I've posted the blurb and will get the cover and an excerpt out as soon as I can.

So, that's all the news for now.

denisepatrick
March 1st, 2012, 12:37 PM
So, life is getting better and better. My new editor just contracted Family Scandals. For those of you who followed my Gypsy Legacy Series, Family Scandals isn't really part of the series (has nothing to do with the gypsy), but it is the story of the brother of the hero in Book Two, The Duke. It will be an August release. This is turning into an extremely busy year! I just hope I can keep up.

My third "Scarred" book has become The Scarred Heiress and I'm moving through it very slowly. My editor is a bit disappointed that it won't be ready to go for this year, but I won't make promises I can't keep and I've already got a lot on my plate this year.