PDA

View Full Version : Adopting Alyssa

denisepatrick
July 6th, 2007, 09:52 AM
I posted about this in the Inspirational thread, but will repeat it here.

Meet Alyssa, an adorable 4-year-old with a past. When she loses her parents in a freak accident on a Salt Lake City freeway, Helen Carstairs, the social worker who ends up with her case, tags Jason and Kelly Moore to be her new parents. Only Kelly has secrets of her own.

Blurb:

When a tragic accident on the interstate leaves an orphaned 4-year-old in her charge, social worker Helen Carstairs is certain she's found the perfect couple to adopt her. Jason and Kelly Moore are a young couple in her congregation with a strong, steady faith.

The only thing that would make life more perfect for Kelly would be a baby of her own, not an enchanting four-year-old with adorable green eyes and the brightest smile this side of heaven. God seems to have other ideas and soon Kelly finds herself wondering how she got along without the little bundle of energy.

So, what are the odds that the bearer of so much joy would also be the catalyst that uncovers a secret Kelly thought long buried in her past? A secret which could undermine her faith and destroy her marriage, all in one fell swoop. But, as her world threatens to crumble around her, Kelly discovers the miracle of second chances and realizes God doesn't play the odds.

denisepatrick
July 6th, 2007, 09:56 AM
"Remember that really bad accident that happened on the freeway a couple of weeks ago? The one involving a semi?" [Jason asked.]
She nodded. "Yeah. Wasn't that the one where some idiot in a Jeep cut a semi off and caused two cars to crash?"
"Yep. That was it. Because the road was icy, the resulting chain reaction killed six people. The guy in the Jeep walked away without a scratch."
"I read in the paper recently he's being charged with reckless driving and a few other things. If convicted, he might go to prison, but only for a few years. So, what has this particular patient to do with all that?"
"She was in one of the cars. Her parents were both killed."
"And what has that to do with us?"
No use beating around the bush. "Helen asked if we would consider taking her in."
Kelly's eyes widened. Silence fell between them as she studied him. He forced himself to continue eating while she digested the information.
"Why? Doesn't she have any other relatives?"
"She's not from here. Helen and her staff have been looking for relatives, but so far, none of the relatives they've contacted want her. Helen also explained her parents were not her biological parents-they only adopted her a few months ago. And now she's an orphan, again."
"I see."
"Do you?"
"Do I what?"
"Do you really see what's happening here?"
"What do you mean?"
Jason regarded her somberly. They had been trying for a year now and she had yet to conceive. He knew she wanted a child; sometimes she seemed almost desperate. He didn't mind the trying-in fact, he rather enjoyed the process-but her disappointment month after month always tore at his heart. He loved her for who she was, and although he wanted children, too, he was willing to wait on God's time. Kelly wasn't, and with each month that went by without results, he could see her faith slipping.
"Do you remember what last Sunday's sermon was about? I thought it particularly applied to us."
She shook her head.
"It was about how God answers prayers in ways we least expect. We've both prayed for a child-"
"No!" Kelly's reaction was unnaturally loud and seemed to echo in the large room.
Jason reached out and took her hands in his. They were cold despite the warmth of the room.
"Kelly, please, just listen for a moment." He rubbed her hands as he spoke, warming them in his own.
"Why us?" She snatched her hands back and folded her arms across her chest. "The state must have hundreds of foster families they can place her with. Why us?"

denisepatrick
July 6th, 2007, 10:01 AM
And, finally, to whet your appetite - Adopting Alyssa has received great reviews. You'll have to check out my blog for others, but this is what Coffee Time Reviewer, Matilda, had to say:

Faith, Love, and miracles can and do happen in this feel good book. I had tears in my eyes through most of this story. What a blessing Ms. Patrick has given us!

Read the complete review. (http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/BookReviews/Adoptingalyssa.html)

Karenne
July 6th, 2007, 12:10 PM
That is wonderful! Congratulations on the 5 cups!:turned:

denisepatrick
July 17th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Thanks, Karenne. I have to admit, I have been tickled pink at how well this book has been received.

Linda L Lattimer
July 18th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Denise that is great for you, I love that cover...on your avatar.

Linda

phoenyxstarr
July 19th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Another book on my list... I love stories like this.

denisepatrick
July 19th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks Linda. Yours, too, looks intriguing. So much so that I went up to your thread and read the excerpt. It sounds wonderful. Another book to add to my TBR pile - which is getting dangerously high these days.

Phoenyx, if you get it and read it within the next couple of weeks, you can enter the contest on my blog. But, whenever you do, I hope you enjoy it.

denisepatrick
July 20th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I thought I'd give you another teaser. A new excerpt not found anywhere else on the 'Net. Enjoy!
On Saturday, she and Jason spent the day shopping for a bedroom set. Their good-natured squabbling drew looks from passers-by, but Kelly was too happy to care. After arguing with Jason over a canopy bed that, according to him, looked like it belonged “in a bordello,” they settled on a brass daybed with a trundle, a dresser and matching night stand, a bookcase, and a rocking chair. A white wooden bench with storage beneath the seat completed the ensemble. Kelly barely refrained from rolling her eyes when Jason insisted on a child-sized recliner to match the two they already owned.
“Make that one extremely spoiled four-year-old.”
“Hey, I’ve never had a kid before,” he defended himself.
“I have,” she responded. “You.”
“And I have it on good authority you love me anyway.”
The firm threw her a shower and she couldn’t hold back the tears at their generosity. Even Jason was overwhelmed.
“We’ll have to hide that until the cast comes off,” Jason said to her, indicating the pint-sized bright pink bicycle complete with training wheels.
Gina gave her a book called Everything You Need to Know About Your Five-Year-Old because “I knew you already had one on four-year-olds and it will be outdated in a year.”
“I know all I need to know about five-year-olds,” she told her friend with laughter in her voice. “One word. Kindergarten.”
To which Gina retorted, “No. Three words. All. Day. Kindergarten.”
They met with Helen and her supervisor and filled out reams of paper. Helen had to do an inspection of their home and pronounce it fit for a four-year-old. Background checks were completed and more paperwork filled out. Kelly was surprised at all the safety requirements, but understood the reasons for them.
When they met with the grief counselor, she reminded them Alyssa was still grieving on the inside.
“Outwardly, she seems to have accepted her new circumstances, but she might occasionally lash out when something goes wrong. It’s normal. Talking about it is okay, but don’t allow her to use it to manipulate you.”
“How would she do that?” Kelly asked.
“It could be a convenient excuse to get out of doing something like going to bed, or eating supper. Sometimes children know what they’re doing and sometimes they don’t. Regardless, you should be able to talk to her about what she’s feeling and assure her it’s okay to feel sad or even angry, but it’s not okay to be naughty because she’s feeling bad.
“Children at this age are resilient. They bounce back easily, but it doesn’t mean they have necessarily moved on from the tragedy. It may take years before she completely accepts you internally, or she could have done so already. Only time will tell.”

Karenne
July 21st, 2007, 02:13 PM
WOOHOO! Yeah for us!

Thanks Denise!

denisepatrick
October 17th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Are you tired yet of all the great reviews yet? Well, I'm not, so here's another one:

4 books from The Long and Short of It

This is what the reviewer, Tulip, had to say:

Adopting Alyssa is more of an inspirational story than a romantic one. It is serious but at the same time totally enjoyable. If you are looking for good Christian fiction, you cannot go wrong with what Ms. Patrick has to offer in this beautiful novella. The characters are believable and you will connect with them. I finished all 116 pages in one sitting loving Alyssa the cute four-year-old girl and her potential mommy and daddy. . .

Adopting Alyssa has great plot (lots of believable twists and turns), great characters (both primary and supporting ones whom I can easily connect with), and easy-to-read style capable of bringing characters to life. In short, a great job for a novella. This story has inspired me to read more of By Grace Publishing's offerings. I certainly look forward to more of Ms. Patrick's work and will keep a keen lookout for it.

Read the entire review here (http://longandshortreviews.blogspot.com/2007/10/review-adopting-alyssa.html) .

denisepatrick
December 13th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Adopting Alyssa is an EPPIE Finalist!!!

It'sParty Time!!!!!!!!!

Dani
December 16th, 2007, 02:28 AM
:whoohoo: Congrats Denise!!!

Linda L Lattimer
December 21st, 2007, 10:35 PM
Denise, that is wonderful news, congrats to you

Linda

denisepatrick
December 26th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Thanks, Linda. It's amazing to me that this book has garnered the attention it has. I've told Laura at By Grace that it's all her fault because, seriously, this book would not have even been written if it hadn't been for her.

And, now it's also a CAPA Nominee! Boy, what a ride this has been!

denisepatrick
February 14th, 2008, 10:58 PM
:omg_2: Are you ready for this?
Adopting Alyssa is the CAPA Winner in the Inspirational category!!!!!!!!

And, I had to work today when all I wanted to do was jump up and down and scream like a banshee!

:jump:smilies/cloud9.gif

Dani
February 14th, 2008, 11:02 PM
WooHoo!! Congratulations on your win!!! smilies/Dance.gif

Karenne
February 15th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I saw that! Congratulations! I am so excited for you!

You need to add this little beauty to your site and signature line!

http://www.theromancestudio.com/images/capa2007_big.gif

Karenne
February 17th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Okay...I just saw this up on the Romance Studio site and thought I would share it here because it is so exciting for you!

Congratulations again Denise!:flowers:

denisepatrick
February 17th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks, Karenne. I've been trying to figure out how to get the graphic up on my blog, but it's the wrong size and I'm still not very techno-savvy, so it's taking me a while to figure out how to resize it. I did create a new one that I'm going to put on a t-shirt and wear to booksignings. What do you think of this one?

http://mcchelsea.smugmug.com/photos/254916670_SSBLQ-S.jpgThis has been one fun ride. Next stop, the EPPIEs. Unfortunately, I can't go because we needed a new roof this year instead. Luckily, I'd already made my reservations for San Francisco before we discovered that! :giggle:

Karenne
February 18th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Pretty!

What size do you need it? I would be more than happy to resize it for you!

denisepatrick
February 22nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back out here. This week was tough at work. I didn't get home before 8 pm any night this week - except tonight.

Thanks for the offer, Karenne. As for what size I need, I honestly don't know. I'm still woefully in the dark about such things. I do know that I need it to be at least half the size it is now. Beyond that, I have no idea.