View Full Version : Interview with Susanna L. Hargreaves

MelissaMiller
April 19th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Interview with Susanna L. Hargreaves
From Inside
A Woman's Heart
Haunted Dreams and Vignettes
all available at Solstice Publishing.
www.solsticepublishing.com (http://www.solsticepublishing.com)

1. When did you first realize you wanted to become a writer? I realized I wanted to be a writer when I was around ten years old. I loved writing stories and I had some wonderful teachers who encourage me. My family encouraged me as well.
2. When did you write your first book and how old were you? I wrote articles, short stories, and plays most of my life. I wrote my first novel when I was 38. I kept saying to myself that someday I am going to write a book. Then, I realized that someday is now.
3. How many books have you written? I have published two romance novels, two plays, and four childrenís stories. I have also published a great deal of poetry. I am also proud of my short stories, for I have three stories in an anthology called Haunted Dreams & Vignettes. I really love being a part of it.
4. What is your work schedule like when youíre writing? I usually write during sleepless nights. Sometimes, Iím restless and I need to write.
5. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk? I still have that need for approval and I am terrified of sharing my work with others, yet I continue to put myself out there.
6. Where do you get your information or ideas for your books? I am inspired by my life, the people around me, the area, and the history of New England. I am always jotting story ideas down.
7. What do you like to do when youíre not writing? I am a full time teacher and mother, so I donít have a lot of time. However, I do love to read, garden, watch movies with my family, and cook. I really miss sleeping.
8. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books? I guess one of the most surprising is how it is really possible to accomplish it. Saying you are going to write a book and actually doing it-making the time, drafting it, writing it, editing it, and then going through the agony of trying to find a publisher-is so overwhelming. It is a great deal of work, but it is truly so much fun! Writing is so enjoyable to me. It was important for me to believe in myself and listen to the words that were waiting to come out.
9. What do you think makes a good story? I think the heart is what makes a good story. If it has heart, then you know you have a good story.
10. Do you have any suggestions to help someone become a better writer? If you want to write-write! The only thing holding you back is yourself. Someday is now. Why canít it be?