PDA

View Full Version : A little more about me

bettysbassboat
April 26th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Hello:
Since I'm new to this Coffeetime forum, I thought I'd post a little more about me. I'm Julie Lence, western historical romance author. Both of my books, Luck of the Draw and Lady Luck, can be found at Asylettpress.com

Currently, I'm a stay-at-home mom. I quit the work force 13 years ago when I became pregnant, because my husband and I decided I would stay home with the baby. Except for the people, I don't miss going to work every day. I enjoy having the freedom to take care of my family and home, write full time and not have to answer to someone else.

I began my writing career many, many years ago. I started with contemporary romance, but then changed to writing western historical romance. I've always had a fondness and respect for horses, cowboys, ranches and all things related to the 1800's; this garnered from watching John Wayne on Sunday afternoons with my dad.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy watching baseball and football, reading and walking around town on a warm, sunny afternoon. I live at the foot of the Rocky Mountains and summertime affords us some pretty days. I also enjoy driving through the mountains and visiting old western towns and shopping in the girft stores for another treasure to bring home.

I've met some wonderful people in my writing career and have made lots of new friends. But I'm always looking for more. Stop by and say hello. I enjoy chatting about romance and all things western.

Stephanie_Haefner
April 26th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Hi! You sound a lot like me!! I worked full time until I had my first child too..then quit to stay home with her and start my own home-based business. I've since closed up shop to concentrate on my writing career, but I love being home with my kids and having the time to write. I'm so thankful for my husband and being able to survive on one income. Hopefully someday my writing will help contribute to our finances!!

Welcome!!

bettysbassboat
April 26th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Stephanie:
I am so thankful for the same thing--surviving on one paycheck. Being home all day enables me to get more things done, both around the house and writing related. I went back to work briefly and hated it. The getting up and rushing everyone out the door and then rushing in the evenings wasn't worth it. I had no time to write and am thankful it only lasted a few weeks. I envy moms who can manage it all.

How long have you been writing? BTW, love the title of your book. Do you like to read outside of your genre? I enjoy mysteries and women's fiction.

Stephanie_Haefner
April 26th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I was trying to work a few days here and there, on my husband's days off, but it just wasn't worth it. We debated on me getting a job at night...but in the end...me working 25-30 at night would have brought home what he could make in one overtime shift....and would make our lives far harder. So we make it work.

I have been writing about 6 years or so. Thanks for the compliments on my title!! :) I do venture out of my genre ocasionally- some YA dystopian and sci-fi, but mainly I read chick lit, women's fiction and contemporary romance, which is what I write.

bettysbassboat
April 26th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I have to say the cover is beautiful. That shade of blue really catches the eye. Did you have a say in the cover? Or did the publisher design it for you?

Stephanie_Haefner
April 26th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks!! My publisher has graphic designers and this is what they came up with. I was free to share my concerns, but in the end, it was up to the publisher to decide. I did have concerns...the cover gave the impression that the book was more erotic than it really is. But the alternative cover they did was ugly so I asked if we could go back to the original!

And yes, the color is very catching...it caught my eye instantly!

bettysbassboat
April 30th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Hi Stephanie:
The worst part in this business, for me, is the cover. I'm always concerned what it will turn out to be. Sometimes, what the author has in mind is not what the publisher has in mind. I'm lucky, right now, that my 2nd one was what I wanted. The 1st came from the pub and turned out better than what I thought, so I used that for inspiration for the 2nd.
Hope you have a great weekend.