PDA

View Full Version : The Importance of Almack's

denisepatrick
July 15th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Now that my first Regency has hit the virtual shelves, I hope that anyone who reads it will come in and tell me what they think.

In the meantime, I'll be posting little tidbits and excerpts from the book here from time to time, so stay tuned.

Karenne
July 15th, 2007, 10:40 PM
ohh...I love historicals.

Maybe I missed it, but where can we get that honey?:flowers:

denisepatrick
July 16th, 2007, 12:04 PM
No problem. I'm always willing to point someone in the direction of my books.:lol: TIA is available from Samhain Publishing (http://samhainpublishing.com/romance/the-importance-of-almacks).

Dani
July 16th, 2007, 11:40 PM
You know, I have never read a historical romance before, but I liked the excerpt for this book. It was excellent and I have a feeling that it will be in my to be read pile soon. :biggrin:

phoenyxstarr
July 17th, 2007, 09:32 AM
I've always loved historical romances. Especially ones set in medieval times. I have no idea why I love medieval romances so much, but I do.

denisepatrick
July 17th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Dani - I hope you enjoy it. It was fun to write.

Phoenyx - Almack's isn't a medieval, but being a history buff, I love medievals, too. Have you read any good ones lately?

denisepatrick
July 19th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I hope you've been out here (http://samhainpublishing.com/romance/the-importance-of-almacks) and checked out the excerpt. I'm going to post here another one - not found anywhere else on the 'Net. Enjoy!

Kitt’s shoulder was healing nicely by the next week, but he chafed at the inactivity as he waited for a response to his letter. Barlow, Seth, and the other stable hands were congenial, but after the first few days they left him to his own devices while they went about their duties. Pamela was a frequent visitor and he looked forward to the times she dropped in.
The stables were a hive of activity. Sir Maurice was either a connoisseur of good horseflesh, or incredibly lucky in his purchases. Barlow indicated that it was somewhere in between, that in actuality many of the horses were bought by Master Stephen. Pamela’s mount, Midas, was such.
The spirited gelding was a dark glossy brown with two white stockings. Whenever Pamela came near his stall, he stuck his head out eagerly, awaiting the apples she frequently kept in her pocket for him. Midas, however, wasn’t the only occupant of the stables Pamela bestowed her warmth and care on. Up in the hayloft there was a tabby with a litter of kittens she checked on regularly. And of course, there was Kitt.
He anticipated her visits as much as Midas did. Perhaps more.
In the past, female companionship never meant friendship. Women were for warming a man’s bed, bearing a man’s children, and running a man’s household. Except for his godmother, no woman in his life had ever seen him as anything other than a deep pocket. As long as he satisfied them in and out of bed, and their arrangements were mutually beneficial, he paid them little heed.
But Pamela broke the mold. She was friendly, caring, intelligent and generous. Her smile lit up the stables, warming the frigid air with her enthusiasm. She gave freely of her time, often sitting up late with him playing chess or cards when he knew she needed to be up early. She had apologized for keeping him in the stables, blushing furiously as she tried to explain her father’s distrust of strangers.
“I have slept in worse places. You needn’t worry that my delicate sensibilities have been overset.”
She changed the subject then, asking him again about London and the sights, which he obligingly described to her in as much detail as he could.
Her eyes lit up at his descriptions and he became warm watching her. He hadn’t touched her since the day he kissed her wrist, but he hadn’t forgotten the texture of her skin or the throb of her pulse against his mouth. He itched to take her in his arms and taste her lips, but restrained himself. After all, she was a gently bred lady—and she had saved his life. Only a thoroughly disreputable character would take advantage of her in such a manner, and he wasn’t that jaded.
Was he?

Karenne
July 19th, 2007, 11:08 PM
ohhh..thank you Denise!:wub:

Dani
July 19th, 2007, 11:15 PM
I love this excerpt! I'm really wanting this book now. You have gained a new fan! :biggrin:

denisepatrick
July 20th, 2007, 04:17 PM
You're welcome, Karenne. And, thank you, Dani.

denisepatrick
July 25th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Unfortunately, it's not from CTR, so I won't post it here. You'll just have to go out to my blog and click on the link there to find it. But, it will be worth it!

Karenne
July 26th, 2007, 02:58 PM
oh yeah! Post it! This is YOUR group...share away honey!:yes:

denisepatrick
July 26th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Alrighty, then.

Brenda at The Romance Studio gave Almack's 4 1/2 hearts. Specifically, she said: Ms. Denise Patrick has written a great novel which is not only a poignant look at extended family but also the importance of true love. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves historical; you will definitely not be disappointed!

You can read the entire review (http://www.theromancestudio.com/reviews/reviews/almackspatrick.htm) on the site.

Dani
July 26th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Congratulations on the great review Denise! :biggrin:

Karenne
July 27th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Nice! Very nice!

denisepatrick
September 3rd, 2007, 12:52 PM
From Violet at The Long and The Short of It

4 books!
“The heroine is likeable, well developed and easy to sympathize with. . .This dreamy hero did not disappoint. I stayed up well past my bedtime trying to finish. . .This incredibly charming story. . .”

Read the entire review here. (http://longandshortreviews.blogspot.com/2007/09/review-importance-of-almacks.html)

Got your copy yet? If not, hop over to my blog and play along this month. A download of The Importance of Almack's is the prize for September's drawing.

Dani
September 3rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks for letting us know Denise!! I'll be heading that way soon. Bunny

denisepatrick
September 4th, 2007, 05:40 PM
From LenaC at Fallen Angels Review

4 angels!. . .I loved The Importance of Almacks. . .and that is hard to come by when there are few historical romances that fall into my keeper pile but Denise Patrick managed it. . . I fell in love with Pamela, for here is a young woman who has never had things for herself because her father always loved her younger sister more. . . Then enters Kitt, injured. . . and somehow falls in love with Pamela. . .it ended beautifully and I loved the secrets and secondary characters falling in love. Great job!

Read the entire review. (http://www.fallenangelreviews.com/2007/July/LenaC-TheImportanceOfAlmacks.htm)

Dani
September 4th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Congrats on another great review Denise! :whoohoo:

denisepatrick
September 28th, 2007, 11:26 PM
This one from CK2S Kwips and Kritiques. . .

Bringing together a terrific cast of supporting characters including the snobbish patronesses of Almacks, the author masterfully weaves an unfolding story of deceit and a web of lies from a twenty year old scandal. As the lies began to unravel both Kitt and Pamela discovered how each had been deceived by the people they had once revered and loved.
~~~Marilyn
http://www.ck2skwipsandkritiques.com/theimportanceofalmacks_marilyn.html

Dani
September 28th, 2007, 11:30 PM
That's another awsome review Denise. Congratulations!! :whoohoo:

Linda L Lattimer
October 6th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Denise great reviews, congrats

Linda

denisepatrick
October 17th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks everyone. I love it when people like my writing - something I always have my doubts about.

Linda L Lattimer
October 21st, 2007, 01:02 AM
No Denise, your writing is great!!!

Linda

denisepatrick
October 21st, 2007, 02:50 AM
Thanks, Linda.

Well, today I opened up my email and there's another review from some place called Romance Reviews Today. I've never even heard of them (which isn't saying much because I haven't been around enough yet to know where all the review sites are), but they reviewed Almack's. Once again, the reviewer loved it - she gave it "A Perfect 10." :swoon: I was floored!

In part Vi said, " THE IMPORTANCE OF ALMACK'S is one of the best Regencies I have ever read. . .Denise Patrick sets Society on its ear and leaves the reader furiously turning pages to see what happens next. Kitt is amazing, and Pamela is brave enough to wait for Kitt to love her as much as she loves him. There are plots within plots within plots and surprises around every corner, interspersed between layers of secrets. . .Seldom have I read a more compelling romance that did not have even one bedroom scene. So many emotions come into play, devotion, loyalty, and most of all, love."

If I could figure out how, I'd send Vi a case of chocolate!!:notworthy:

Dani
October 21st, 2007, 05:52 PM
Cheerleader Congratulations on a perfect 10 review! :whoohoo: You deserve it! :notworthy:

Linda L Lattimer
October 22nd, 2007, 03:59 PM
Congrat, Denise, that is really excellent

hugs Linda

denisepatrick
January 21st, 2008, 08:37 PM
With all these great reviews? Not me. Especially not today because I had to work and it was an especially long day. So, I opened up my mail to find one from My Book Cravings (http://www.mybookcravings.com/pam_importanceofalmack.htm). In part, Pam said:
The book is filled with all the things that make a good novel and a wonderful read…likable well rounded and developed primary and secondary characters, a great plot filled with love, intrigue, betrayal, deceit, misunderstandings and hate, and a well described setting that sucks the reader into the plot. It didn’t even matter that there wasn’t a bedroom scene in the entire book.

Yep, I'm still walking on air!!!

Karenne
January 21st, 2008, 09:35 PM
That is wonderful! That is a nice way to start your day.

Dani
January 22nd, 2008, 10:32 PM
WOOHOO for you Denise!! Bouncy Icon Smilie

denisepatrick
April 17th, 2008, 12:39 AM
OK, this one still has me in shock. I got this in an email yesterday. . .

It is with great pleasure I inform you that your novel, THE IMPORTANCE OF ALMACK'S, has taken first place in the Historical category of The Lories Best Published Contest. We had a wonderful turnout for the Historical category this year, and you should be proud of your accomplishment. On behalf of From The Heart Romance Writers, you will be receiving a plaque for your placement in the mail in coming weeks.

I tend to enter contests, then forget about them. That serves two purposes: 1. I don't chew my fingers to nubs waiting, and 2. When I get something back, I'm surprised all over again. When I final or win, it's a HUGE pick me up!

To check out the complete list of category winners, go here (http://www.fthrw.com/contest/lories/2008Lories_winners.php). The only other book on the lists that I've read is the one that won the Paranormal category. I would definitely recommend it and Melissa's debut book, which was the first in the "Daughters of the Glen" series. Highland Guardian is Book 2.

hollie
April 20th, 2008, 03:23 PM
:huepfen017: congratulations :huepfen017:

maura
April 21st, 2008, 01:17 PM
Congratulations, it's a really good book.

Maura

denisepatrick
April 21st, 2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks, Maura.

Dani
April 23rd, 2008, 12:47 AM
That's excellent news Denise! Congrats! Bouncy Icon Smilie

CharmedGirl
April 23rd, 2008, 04:57 AM
Great news Denise. Congratulations!

denisepatrick
May 2nd, 2008, 11:29 AM
I don't know if you all can stand more good news - but I will
never tire of it.

So, drumroll, please. . .

THE IMPORTANCE OF ALMACK'S has been chosen as Best Regency Romance of 2007 by the reviewers at Romance Reviews Today.
:martini-1:

hollie
May 2nd, 2008, 02:50 PM
smilies/champagne5.g smilies/champagne6.g congrats again

Dani
May 2nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
smilies/champagne1.g WooHoo!! Congratulations!!Bouncy Icon Smilie

maura
May 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Great News Denise, there are too few good Regencies around these days!