PDA

View Full Version : Knock, knock

Chapman208
July 19th, 2007, 10:57 AM
No, it's not yet another bad knock-knock joke. I'm just knocking on the door to introduce myself and say Hi!

I primarily write sci-fi, with a bit of fantasy thrown into the mix now and then. I like to combine tense drama and action with humor--wisecracking, irony, sarcasm, even practical jokes now and then to break the tension (so I can built it up again).

So far, I have 4.5 novels written (2.5 in a series and two stand-alone). Some are "hard" SF with a lot of cool technology, and some are "soft" sci-fi, but all are character-driven. I like to get inside my characters' heads (which is why two of the novels are written in first-person) so the readers can see why they do what they do. Tthe stories are always very character-driven. There's plenty of action and gadgets, but always taking a back seat to the characters.

My first two novels are published (The Mars Imperative, currently available, and The Tesserene Imperative, coming in August) by Shadowmere Publishing, and I'm working on getting the others published as well. :) (See the 4-Cup review of The Mars Imperative, here on CTR: http://tinyurl.com/28mj6y)

I also wrote a nonfiction book, The OS/2 Power User's Reference (McGraw-Hill), way back in 1995, and ghost-wrote three chapters of another: Exploring IBM Server & Storage Technology, 6th Ed., 2005 (Maximum Press).

As for myself, I'm married (coming up on 20 years, this October) with two smart and beautiful teenage daughters. Although I've been writing all my life, I only took it up seriously in 2003, when I wrote my first novel. (What kind of idiot breaks a 20-year layoff by writing a novel, rather than starting with some short stories? My kind, apparently--which explains why it took me four years to whip it into shape to sell.) I have also written a couple of children's picture books (as yet unpublished), and had some short stories, poems, and humorous essays published.

I like reading/watching sci-fi/fantasy, political/military thrillers (Clancy/Dale Brown), and legal thrillers (Gresham). I took up golf a couple of years ago and usually shoot in the mid-80s (I once managed a 79), and even wrote a sci-fi story about a golfer (sort of Tin Cup meets Groundhog Day).

Well, that's me in a nutcase, er, make that nutshell. To find out more about me or my writing, use the urls below, or ask me questions in my CTR forum: http://coffeetimeromance.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=310

Karenne
July 19th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Well nut case of not...we are super happy to have you hear and that you made a permanent home in the Author's Coffee Corner!

....Welcome to the nut house!:whistling:

Chapman208
July 19th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks, Karenne! Coffee and nuts go together, don't they? (At least Hazelnut creamer and coffee, anyway....):tt2:

Karenne
July 19th, 2007, 10:53 PM
snicker...it must...because I AM HERE!

:whistling:

Liadan
July 19th, 2007, 11:12 PM
We are all a little bit nutty at times, some of us more than others. But we welcome one and all.

Welcome to our world and I really hope you like it here.

Chapman208
July 20th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks, Liadan! I do feel a little awkward, though, surrounded by so many romance readers/writers. I'm more used to a strict SF&F crowd. (Yes, I do realize CTR isn't all romance these days, but I suspect it's still mostly so.)

Karenne
July 21st, 2007, 01:59 PM
I don't know..you might be surprised....I love a good romance...but I am very partial to Sci-Fi and Futuristic books whether they have romance or not. :wub:

Chapman208
July 21st, 2007, 06:49 PM
That could be an interesting topic for discussion (or maybe a poll), to find out what percentage of everyone's reading is romance vs. other genres.:)