PDA

View Full Version : Hello from an avid reader

orangeengr85
July 25th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Hello everyone. My name is Amanda and I love to read. I probably wouldn't have wandered into this forum if I didn't. :P

About Me (the reader):
I have been reading as long as I can remember; it's just something we've always done in my family. It was sometime in the 5th grade that I had this epiphany: most of my friends don't read/don't like to read, and most people in their families don't either.

My earliest fare was the mystery series. I read every nancy Drew book I could find the summer between 5th and 6th grade. My dad then introduced my to the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section at the library in the 7th grade. Sometime around the 9th or 10th grade I started 'borrowing' my mom's romance novels. Since then I have bounced around within those genre's.

My current favorite is the Paranormal Romance and it's equivalents in SF/F. I will read pretty much anything paranormal or futuristic as long as it doesn't delve too heavily into horror. I LOVE the 'In Death' series; it is the only series I buy the hardback the week it comes out. I read anything by Nora Roberts. I occasionally like a good humorous contemporary romance a'la Jennifer Crusie. I also enjoy a good space opera, a'la Anne McCaffery's Rowan series.

About Me (other stuff):
I am 22 years old and am an electrical engineering student at Oklahoma State University. I graduate in December, am getting married in January, and will hopefully be starting a full time job with the consulting firm with whom I am currently interning this summer. I don't know how grammatically correct that sentance was, please don't kill me, all you writers out there.

I also enjoy watching movies with my fiance, watching out for my three younger siblings, building computers, playing on the computer/internet, and playing video games (mostly on Nintendo DS, but also Guitar Hero on PS2).

and now that that has become a whole heck of a lot longer of a post than I intended, I'm off to lunch. :D

Karenne
July 25th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Welcome to our Forum Family! And you can post as long as you want!

We all do it!:hellobaby:

Dani
July 25th, 2007, 07:32 PM
:welcome: Amanda! Glad you found the forums here at CTR. Feel free to post as much as you want and make them as long as you like. Like Karenne said, we all do it. :lol:

Since you like paranormal series' you might be interested (if you haven't read them already) in Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson Guardian Novels or Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series (aka Southern Vampire novels). Keri has a forum here that you can check out. She posts along with the rest of us and she's really nice to boot. There is a thread in the paranormal area in the chatters room area of the books (news & more) forum that is devoted to Charlaine Harris that you can check out. You can also find more authors of paranormal books under that forum as well.

I hope you enjoy yourself here! :biggrin:

Nicole Gestalt
July 25th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Welcome to the group Amanda,

I hope you enjoy getting to know all the authors and readers here and of course find lots of interesting stories to read!

:)

orangeengr85
July 25th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I actually just found, bought and read the whole Riley Jensen series to date in the last month. I kinda felt like I just saw a celebrity when I saw Keri Arthur posting on these boards.

I'm looking forward to finding new stories to read. I think I'll head to the paranomal romance section right now.

Morgan St.John
July 29th, 2007, 06:47 AM
*WHAT?! People don't like to read?! How absurd!*

Except for the really smart engineering part, you sound alot like me! I've been reading for longer than I can remember. You are so very lucky to have parents who encouraged you and helped you find really cool stuff. Once I hit midteens, I was less likely to get a good fiction recommendation from mine(I don't blame them!). I was about your age when I read my first contemporary romance novel. Susan Elizabeth Phillips broke me into the genre and I love her for it!!!!!

It's great to have you here. Maybe some day you will try your hand at writing a novel and we'll all be here to cheer you on!

orangeengr85
July 29th, 2007, 05:14 PM
i don't know about the really smart part, but thank you. most of the time i feel like i'm just a determined problem solver with half a clue. which i guess can be more rare than one might think.

i've thought about writing before, but i've never had a terribly good idea for a plot. i can make up characters and elaborate back stories for hours, but the whole plot thing is missing. maybe some day i'll something will hit me. til then i will just enjoy other people's plots and characters.

rrc_lim
August 20th, 2007, 08:48 AM
welcome to the forum. hope you like it as much as i do.