PDA

View Full Version : The Scarred Heir

denisepatrick
July 17th, 2011, 11:03 PM
It's been a very long year and, I'm sad that I will not have a book released in 2011 at all. But, life has gotten incredibly busy (see my chit-chat thread for an update).

But, as you can see, I have contracted The Scarred Heir. My (new) editor at Samhain picked it up and it's release date is January 10, 2012. An excellent birthday present (my birthday is the day before).

Still working on the official blurb, but here's what I posted on my website:

Max Dayton's twin brother has a secret he's willing to kill to keep--even if the next victim is his own brother.
Sarah Standish's uncle will do anything to get his hands on her father's fortune.
Murder, blackmail, kidnapping, and a decades-old deception keep Max and Sarah jumping.
The last thing they have time to do is fall in love.

Stay tuned to this thread. More updates as they happen.

denisepatrick
December 2nd, 2011, 02:57 AM
Here is the official blurb for The Scarred Heir:

Double trouble—with a twist.

Two months. Just two more months and Sarah Standish will be twenty-one and free to come out of hiding. Not long ago she was on the brink of marrying the man of her dreams—until she discovered his complicity with her uncle’s plan to gain control of her missing father’s substantial fortune.

A wounded man appears at the inn where she lives under an assumed name, and she’s shocked to discover it’s her would-be groom. He seems to have no memory of her, yet her traitorous heart remembers.

Max Dayton awakens from a fevered dream to find a vengeful angel hovering over him. When he realizes she’s mistaken him for his twin brother, his protective instincts kick in. There must be some reason his brother assumed Max’s identity…and some connection to this dazzling beauty and the father she insists is not dead.

In a quest to untangle the twisted trail of lies that threw them together, Sarah and Max journey to London, where the mystery grows darker and deeper. And the fragile beginnings of love are threatened by a secret someone would kill to keep.

denisepatrick
December 2nd, 2011, 03:05 AM
file:///C:/Users/Esther/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-6.pngfile:///C:/Users/Esther/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-7.png

Well, I tried to put my cover in the message, but it doesn't seem to be working for me, so I hope I have attached it properly.

denisepatrick
December 2nd, 2011, 03:11 AM
Here is an excerpt from the Prologue:

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here together…"
Sarah Standish stood silent beside Viscount Royden as the cleric droned on, allowing herself to dream of the freedom she hoped tomorrow would bring.
Despite its location in a less than desirable part of town, the tiny church was packed. Too many had come out of curiosity, and most were friends of her aunt and uncle. That meant none were friends of hers.
The past four months had become the stuff of nightmares and she heartily wished she'd elected to stay at Statler Hall instead of returning to London after the summer. But her father had wanted her to enjoy herself in his absence, and his sister had been willing to act as chaperone. She should have known there might be a catch.
She remained silent when the vicar addressed them both with, "…if either of you know any impediment, why ye may not be lawfully joined together in matrimony…" There was no use protesting now. She'd made her wishes known and they had been ignored.
Royden's stentorian "I will" shook her from her thoughts as the vicar turned to her.
"Wilt thou, Sarah Jane Jessie Matilda Elizabeth, have this Man to thy wedded Husband, to live together after God's ordinance in the holy estate of Matrimony? Wilt thou obey him, and serve him, love, honour and keep him in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, keep thee only unto him, so long as ye both shall live?"
She grimaced at the string of names. She hadn't been listening when he'd given Royden's names. She only knew at least one of his Christian names was David.
Silence fell and the vicar looked at her quizzically. Royden glanced her way too, and she noticed a small smile playing about his lips. She nearly sighed. He truly was handsome, with a face a girl could dream about forever. When he first began paying court to her, she'd been flattered and a little giddy. Being honest with herself, she could admit she still liked him. If she hadn't discovered he was in league with her uncle, she might have willingly married him. It was unfortunate that such a decorated war hero was so devious inside.
"No." Nervousness caused her to say it louder than she meant. Beside her, Royden stiffened.
"Who giveth this… I beg your pardon," the vicar stuttered. Flustered, he peered at her and asked, "Did you just say no?"
"I did."

And, if you want a little more, the first chapter is up on Samhain's website: http://store.samhainpublishing.com/scarred-heir-p-6611.html

Enjoy!

denisepatrick
January 11th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Today was Release Day for The Scarred Heir and I did very little. I'm just not very good at promotion. But, over the next few weeks I will be getting the word out.

Not having had a release in over a year has left me trying to remember what I did last time. But, between this release and my next, I hope to jog my memory.

I'll be back in a day or two with another excerpt.

denisepatrick
January 11th, 2012, 08:17 PM
As promised, here's another short excerpt from The Scarred Heir

He stood abruptly. “We will finish this discussion upstairs.” If Dodson hadn’t gotten rid of her uncle, he might yet have no other choice, but he would not have this discussion here, in public, where someone might overhear.
Minutes later he ushered her into a blessedly empty sitting room. Dropping her pelisse and reticule into a chair, she crossed to her room and checked inside. He did the same for his room, noting that his trunk sat open beside the bed. Neither servant was present.
Sarah stood in the center of the room, her features pale. Uncertainty hung over her like a cloud. He tried, unsuccessfully, to steel himself. She had to see that marrying him was wrong for now. He had no idea what the future might bring, but at this time it was the wrong choice.
Large blue eyes watched him as he crossed the carpet toward her. He meant to stop before her, far enough away so he couldn’t touch her, but he couldn’t resist the lost look in her eyes. Before he knew it, he was holding her, enjoying the soft curves pressed close, the sweet smell of flowers in her hair.
She trembled and pressed her face into his shirtfront, sliding her hands beneath his coat and around his waist.
“Why?” The question was whisper soft.
“Because I can’t. I cannot allow you to make such a choice out of fear.”
She raised her head. “It wouldn’t be fear. I understand what I’m asking.”
“Do you?” His lips quirked. “Have you thought about all the possibilities? What if we find your father alive? You will have taken the step unnecessarily.”
She sighed. “Perhaps, but if my uncle were to have forced me to it, I would still be married, and whether my father was alive or not wouldn’t matter.”
He sighed. “You are right, but your uncle will not force you—and neither will I.”
She huffed and stepped back. “You wouldn’t be forcing me—”
The door opened and Dodson entered, followed by Annie. Sarah gasped in horror at the sight of the maid’s face. There was a large bruise marring her features and her lip was swollen.
“Annie. Oh Annie, what happened?”
“I tol’ him I didn’t know where you was, an’ he hit me. Said he didn’t believe me.”
Sarah hurried over to the maid and took her in her arms.
Dodson looked at Max. “I started packing. The uncle said he’d be back with a magistrate. I figured you didn’t still want ta be here.”
“Heavens no,” Sarah interrupted. She looked at Annie. “Come, I’ll help you finish my packing.”
Thirty minutes later they were pulling away from the Pulteney and Sarah began to relax. She was thankful her order from Mme. Marchand had arrived and they were able to pack it as well. Yet she wouldn’t have quibbled at leaving it behind had it been necessary.
While she and Annie packed, she’d replayed the conversation over luncheon in her head. She remembered the moment she realized she wanted to marry him. It was the same moment he’d admitted he would be nothing more than a fortune hunter. It was also the moment she realized she’d fallen in love.
She turned her face to the window, sightlessly watching the streets of London roll by. For now, she’d have to let him have his way. His promise to take her to France was driving him at the moment. Maybe when they reached Calderbrooke, before the information from the solicitor arrived, she’d talk to him again.
Regardless, she’d bring him around. He cared for her. His refusal to consider marrying her for financial reasons told her that. But her dowry was substantial. Would that make her off-limits to him forever?