PDA

View Full Version : Welcome! Let's talk...

Carolyn Rosewood
July 24th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Hi there! Welcome to my Group! Grab a cup of your favorite brew and have a seat! The coffee is always hot, and I love to gab so let's talk!

Tell me what you like to read and why. I've love to hear about your favorite characters, and why you loved them so much.

If you want to, ask me questions about my books or publishers.

Can't wait to meet you all!

Carolyn
:welcome1:

ChristiMcMillen
July 24th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Hi Carolyn~
I hate to say that I have a favorite author, there are so many that I enjoy reading. I will name a couple of them though. Let's see; Maggie Shayne, Larissa Ione and Lara Adrian. Those are the main three printed authors I tend to buy. I will say that my favorite genre though is definitely paranormal romance. I have always loved it more than any other type. As far as historical fiction? It would have to be Stephanie Laurens, Tessa Dare & Christina Dodd.
All of these writers create strong characters, both men and women. I hate to have pansy characters that are too weak to do anything. The women are strong in their own right, taking on their world by the strings to lead in the direction they must. If I had to pick "favorites", I would say Renata from VEIL OF MIDNIGHT by Lara Adrian and Emily from THE ELUSIVE BRIDE by Stephanie Laurens.
I do have a question about your publisher. How difficult and how long was it before you started being published? I know that every writer is going to have different issues/ times with them, but, was it very difficult and how many publishers did you try before getting accepted?

Carolyn Rosewood
July 24th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Hi Christi, great favs! I love those authors as well. :)

It's true that everyone's experience will be different. I've been writing for a very long time, and have seriously pursued publication in the past then given up after many rejections. To be fair, that first manuscript was a hot mess and the rejections were well-deserved.

This time around, I joined the Romance Writers of America, attended workshops, and joined our local RWA chapter here in Nashville, so I could learn my craft and the publishing business from other writers and industry professionals. It's important as a writer to have the support of those who've been there and done that. I've been blessed to have found this RWA chapter.

I got to know my editor at Evernight on a writing forum, and one day she put up a challenge thread for members to try writing outside their normal genre. The story I wrote eventually turned into The Last Soul, and I submitted it to Evernight.

Haunted Heart was a novel I completed last spring and entered in RWA chapter contests before subbing to a few places. It was picked up by Etopia Press two weeks before I signed the contract with Evernight.

I believe both times I was simply in the right place at the right time. :)

Hope this answers your questions! :)

ChristiMcMillen
July 24th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I plan on joining the RWA within the next few months and then also join my local group. Unfortunately for me, my group is actually almost 5 hours away from me... this makes it difficult to attend most of their workshops. But still, I know I will learn so much from them. I hope to one day actually go with a publisher. lol~ Right now I am just getting my feet wet, so to speak!
Congrats on all of your books~

Carolyn Rosewood
July 25th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Thanks, Christi! :)

It's difficult when there isn't a chapter near you, but the RWA also has very active online chapters. Once you join you can find a list of them on the website.