PDA

View Full Version : BLOG: What Is It About Cemeteries?

Carolyn Rosewood
July 26th, 2011, 05:34 AM
I contribute to The Otherworld Diner, and today we're talking about cemeteries. Come join us!

Cemeteries are the final resting place for dead and cremated bodies. That definition alone should mark them as places we visit once and then forget about, right? And yet there's a fascination with them that defies explanation.

I've always found them to be peaceful places, not frightening. The lore of ghosts or zombies combing them at night, looking for unsuspecting victims, wasn't part of my childhood fears because ghosts and zombies are just cool. :)

MORE: http://otherworlddiner.blogspot.com/2011/07/what-is-it-about-cemeteries.html

ChristiMcMillen
July 28th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I love cemetaries, especially the older ones. They are remarkably peaceful and I tend to walk around looking at the stones and imagining what their life might have been like. My 10 yr old twin daughters love this b/c when I come home? I write short stories for them to read (never published them~ just something I do for my kids). They will go to bed with flashlights and read to each other under their bed sheets from across the room. It's fun to listen to them because you can hear the squeals of laughter and sometimes, fright.
If I can scare my kids and make them want to read it again? I did well... lol

CJArcher
July 28th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I've always loved old cemetries where the headstones are falling over and the weeds are rampant. They have an atmosphere about them. The inscriptions on the headstones are often so interesting themselves. Great fodder for writers.

Carolyn Rosewood
July 28th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I love cemetaries, especially the older ones. They are remarkably peaceful and I tend to walk around looking at the stones and imagining what their life might have been like. My 10 yr old twin daughters love this b/c when I come home? I write short stories for them to read (never published them~ just something I do for my kids). They will go to bed with flashlights and read to each other under their bed sheets from across the room. It's fun to listen to them because you can hear the squeals of laughter and sometimes, fright.
If I can scare my kids and make them want to read it again? I did well... lol

What a wonderful thing to do for your children! :)

Carolyn Rosewood
July 28th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I've always loved old cemetries where the headstones are falling over and the weeds are rampant. They have an atmosphere about them. The inscriptions on the headstones are often so interesting themselves. Great fodder for writers.

I totally agree. I love reading the headstones too. :)

ChristiMcMillen
July 28th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks Carolyn~ it's something I love to do just for them. Would you love to hear something funny though? The local newspaper contacted me 3 days ago wanting to ask about my book. Now, I literally just self- published it on July 14th and honestly, still not even sure if I should have just went through a publisher lol)... but I'm excited that they would ask. I told her my info, family info and the book info (like she asked) and I told her that I had written a romance book, for adults, that had mild erotica in it. lol~ she didn't even read the mild erotica... she only read the first chapter about the serial killers who had kidnapped the herione and how she got away from them. So she emails me back with how it wasn't something they could put in the "family-oriented newspaper" (I knew this & was expecting it so no hurt feelings) but that, if I would ever publish the stories that I write for my girls, she would promote it as much as possible. ... Or if I wrote something intended more for the "general public". lol~ I love living in a small town sometimes.... :uzi:

Carolyn Rosewood
July 29th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Thanks Carolyn~ it's something I love to do just for them. Would you love to hear something funny though? The local newspaper contacted me 3 days ago wanting to ask about my book. Now, I literally just self- published it on July 14th and honestly, still not even sure if I should have just went through a publisher lol)... but I'm excited that they would ask. I told her my info, family info and the book info (like she asked) and I told her that I had written a romance book, for adults, that had mild erotica in it. lol~ she didn't even read the mild erotica... she only read the first chapter about the serial killers who had kidnapped the herione and how she got away from them. So she emails me back with how it wasn't something they could put in the "family-oriented newspaper" (I knew this & was expecting it so no hurt feelings) but that, if I would ever publish the stories that I write for my girls, she would promote it as much as possible. ... Or if I wrote something intended more for the "general public". lol~ I love living in a small town sometimes.... :uzi:

I live in a small town too which is why I never contacted my local paper about my books - LOL! :)

ChristiMcMillen
July 29th, 2011, 08:11 AM
That's the funny part~ lol I never contacted them. They heard it through the grapevine and contacted me. I told them upfront it was adult only~ lol. You gotta love them though.... or at least tolerate them! haha They buy our books secretly, you know they do.