PDA

View Full Version : Spinning?? Anyone?

Jewel Adams
August 9th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Hi,
I would love to talk about spinning wheels with anyone that knows something about them. I have been using a drop spindle for Alpacca fiber and want to get into spinning. I'm totally in the dark on the various spinning wheels and what I should be looking for and would welcome some help.
Here I am talking about spinning when I should be writing LOL. But hey, we all need a diversion from time to time.
Jewel

Karenne
August 9th, 2007, 11:28 AM
lol We all need a diversion. So what exactly is spinning? What does it do?

yes, I am in the dark on this one!:err:

Jewel Adams
August 9th, 2007, 03:11 PM
LOL, Karenne, what is that saying about the blind leading the blind :)
You can blame my sister for this one, we went to an Alpacca farm and fell in love with the little guys.
I don't see myself raising Alpaccas, but I do love to work with with their yarn. Trouble is it is very expensive. So, I have been hand spinning on a drop spindle, it works, but is really slow and I can't get the thin threading that I would like. Hence the need for a spinning wheel.
So far, I've learned about the various types of wheels out there, but they are all so expensive. I don't have room for one of those big colonial type spinning wheels, but they have these portable and castle type wheels that sit in front of you and are much smaller. Unless I find a real bargain in a used one I will keep using my hand spindle. The prices are just prohibited, even on Ebay.
What I still don't understand about the spinning wheels is the RATIOS, I am so lost on this part of the spinning jargon. I do hope someone can help with this mystery. The next trip to town I hope I can make the library and find out more information on the ratios.
Jewel

Karenne
August 10th, 2007, 03:36 PM
oh that is what you are talking about. I think I have seen one that straps onto a table and is about the size of a tire on a car.

I will ask the next time I am in my knitting store to see if that is what it is!

And you are right...I love Alpaca yarn but it is very expensive, but very soft.

Thanks Jewel.