PDA

View Full Version : Background

denisepatrick
August 9th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Ok, it's time to start talking about my Gypsy Legacy Series. The series is about two sisters and a brother - great-grandchildren of a gypsy shuvani, Nona.

Book 1 - Gypsy Legacy: The Marquis
Book 2 - Gypsy Legacy: The Duke
Book 3 - Gypsy Legacy: The Earl

And a fourth book written about the brother of the hero in The Duke, which is not part of the Gypsy Series - Family Scandals.

Stay tuned.

denisepatrick
August 11th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Dateline: France, June 16, 1780

Announcement: Romany Chief Giordio and his wife, Clara, announce the birth of a daughter. She will be called Nona.

Dateline: France, June 1790

Now ten years of age, Nona is showing wisdom beyond her years. She is bright, and gifted in the reading of the cards. Her latest reading has revealed that France is headed for upheaval. Giordio and Clara, along with their small band, have decided to go to England.
Stay tuned for more. . .

Dani
August 11th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Ooooh Denise, this series sounds very interesting. I can't wait to hear more about it. :yes:

denisepatrick
August 18th, 2007, 12:17 AM
May 1797 - Despite being "wise beyond her years" Nona is still a teenager. At 16, she has a mind of her own and rebels against the strictures put upon her. Of course, it has gotten her into trouble and now she's pregnant - by a gaujo, no less.

December 1797 - Nona gives birth to a girl and names her Shana. The small band has long since left the area where she was conceived so the father need not know of her existence.

denisepatrick
September 4th, 2007, 05:47 PM
January 1808 - Shana just turned 10 last month, but she is a moody child. One day she is happy and loving, the next day she says she does not like being a Rom and wants to know who her father is. Nona has consulted the cards and told her that the band will visit the area where her father lives soon.

denisepatrick
September 20th, 2007, 06:14 PM
June 1809 - Our small band has lost its leader. Giordio, Shana's beloved grandfather has left us. He named Nona as the next shuvani before his death. Michel was not happy and has left to seek his own path. We wish him and his family well. The weather has not been good for traveling until now, so we will venture north again.

denisepatrick
September 28th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I'm interrupting this history to post an announcement.

I've seen the mock-up for the cover of GYPSY LEGACY: THE MARQUIS and it's GORGEOUS!!!!!

Stay tuned - I hope to be posting it soon.

Karenne
September 28th, 2007, 11:18 PM
oh oh! That is mean! No hint..no clue...:mumbles:

denisepatrick
September 28th, 2007, 11:19 PM
August 1810 - Much has happened over the last year, but the small band finally made it back to the Northeast coast. Sir Richard Milden was delighted to discover he had a daughter and has welcomed Shana with open arms. His sons do not seem quite as thrilled - and Nona openly mourns her loss - as the small band leaves Shana behind with her father.

Dani
September 28th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I'm interrupting this history to post an announcement.

I've seen the mock-up for the cover of GYPSY LEGACY: THE MARQUIS and it's GORGEOUS!!!!!

Stay tuned - I hope to be posting it soon.
Excellent news Denise!! I can't wait to see it. :whoohoo:

denisepatrick
October 10th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Summer 1818 - Nona says the cards have shown her that the small band should travel up the east coast, to Newcastle. Once there, they come upon a stranded traveling coach. Imagine the small band's surprise, and Nona's joy, when the young woman in the vehicle turns out to be none other than Shana.

denisepatrick
October 15th, 2007, 09:29 PM
It has been eight years since mother and daughter have seen each other. Much has happened in that time, including Shana's marriage to Baron Ralph Tindale and the birth of a daughter, Felicia.

As the two renew their relationship, so begins a new chapter in the small band's life. One which will bring them back north often and provide Felicia with a slightly unorthodox upbringing.

denisepatrick
October 30th, 2007, 12:37 AM
I can't believe I've finally finished the edits on this book. My editor and I are convinced it has a real live "gypsy curse" on it. we are both hoping the edits on the next one won't be so bad.

But, in the meantime - a celebration is in order!!

:whoohoo:DiscoDancingCarrots after I get some :sleep1:

Dani
October 30th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Congrats on getting them done! Cheerleader

I hope that you don't have a hard time with the rest of the edits.

Karenne
October 30th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Yeah...a party!

DiscoDancingCarrots I have on my dancing shoes.Twirling

Linda L Lattimer
October 30th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Good for you Denise, here's hoping the next edits will be really easy

Linda

denisepatrick
November 4th, 2007, 07:48 PM
May 1820
England is in mourning for "Mad King George" who died in January. Prinny is now George IV and there are some who are concerned about England's future. All of the ton is abuzz with gossip as Parliament recently stripped an earl of his title for treason - something that doesn't happen very often.

Our small band briefly sojurned in Cornwall while considering returning to France. Nona, however, insists that she is not destined to return to the land of her birth, so steadfastly refuses to go. A small group, however, went with her blessing, and the remainder of the group headed north to attend what few summer fairs and festivals might be held.

denisepatrick
November 9th, 2007, 12:24 AM
March 1835
Death is waiting in the wings, but Nona keeps the knowledge to herself as Shana and her husband prepare to travel to London for Felicia's season. With her mother's midnight-dark hair and her father's deep blue eyes, Felicia will undoubtedly turn heads. They have high hopes for her, but have told her to follow her heart.

"It is better to have some affection for the person you decide to wed, than merely wed for a title and security," Shana tells her daughter.

denisepatrick
November 19th, 2007, 04:21 PM
July 1835
Spending time with the band before returning home, Shana and her husband tell Nona of Felicia's season. Courted by many, she fell in love with a young Army Captain who was the third son of an earl. With two older brothers, Jonathan Kenton had purchased a commission and was headed for India. This was probably a good decision since his mother, the Countess of Wynton, made no secret of her opinion that Felicia was not good enough for her son. Jonathan, however, adores her, so Felicia's parents are content.

Tragedy strikes not long after they say their farewells and head north. The inn they stop at outside of Newcastle, catches fire. Both Shana and her husband, Baron Tindale, are killed. Nona is bereft.

denisepatrick
November 20th, 2007, 12:47 PM
January 1837
Captain and Mrs. Jonathan Kenton announce the birth of their first child, Jonathan Richard Kenton.

March 1839
Major and Mrs. Jonathan Kenton announce the birth of their second child, Christina Lorraine Kenton.

Not only is Major Kenton rising through the ranks of his unit, he and his wife are popular and well-liked. Although, well wishes pour in, they are reminded that not everyone is happy for their good fortune. Despite his letters home regularly, and responses from his brothers, they have yet to hear from the Countess. Her disapproval continues to loom over them.

But, tragedy once again is on the horizon - and their lives will soon take a turn neither ever expected.

denisepatrick
November 30th, 2007, 11:23 PM
December 1842

Journal entry of Mrs. Felicia Kenton of Bombay, India.

"Today we received disturbing news. An acquaintance of Jonathan's has written him that not only has his middle brother died in a phaeton accident, but his nephew took a tumble down a flight of stairs at Wynton Abbey and has also died.

It is discouraging that my beloved Jonathan had to hear such sad news from an acquaintance rather than his family, but I know that his mother still is of the opinion that I am unworthy to bear the Kenton name.

I pray that his father and oldest brother are still in good health."

denisepatrick
December 5th, 2007, 05:42 PM
March 1843

"My grandmother, Nona, would say we have angered the Fates somehow. Everything seems to be going wrong.

Jonathan has contracted something that has left him very weak and feverish, yet we must now leave India. His mother has finally deigned to write to us - only to demand that he return home.

Not only has his father succumbed to a mysterious ailment, but his brother has as well. His sister-in-law is increasing, but even should she be delivered of a boy, Jonathan would be his guardian until he is old enough to shoulder the responsibilities of the Earldom.

I do not have a good feeling about this trip. There is more tragedy ahead and I fear for my children. Jon and Tina have only known India as home and Tina is particularly attached to her dear Papa.

I would feel better if I knew my parents would be waiting for us once we reach England, but since that is not to be, I will pray that Nona will know we are headed home."

denisepatrick
January 1st, 2008, 12:44 PM
April 1843

"My heart has died. I do not know how I am to go on without my beloved Jonathan, but the children will need my strength - such as it is.

I am particularly worried about Tina. Even though Jonathan wanted to see her, I could not bring myself to bring her in to him. She would not have understood, but now I find myself regretting that action for she cries for her 'Papa' and does not understand why he is not there.

At least I need not return to my mother-in-law. Before he died, Jonathan wrote instructions and had them witnessed by the Captain and First Mate. I am to seek out his friend, Nathan, the Marquis of Thanet. He, Jonathan assured me, will make an admirable guardian for Jon and Tina.

Jonathan even hinted that, should I wish to marry again, Nathan would make a good husband. I know he was only trying to comfort me, but NO ONE will ever replace him. He was the other half of my soul."

denisepatrick
February 17th, 2008, 11:12 AM
The Marquis originally had two Prologues, but after discussion, my editor and I decided that it really only needed the one that is in it. Here is the other:

April 1843 - Atlantic Ocean - off the western coast of Africa

The little girl stood silently beside her mother, listening but not understanding the words the Captain intoned. The sun shone bright overhead and she could hear the soft lap of the waves against the side of the ship. A light breeze stirred the ribbons of her bonnet, but otherwise it was hot. Staring at the raised platform before them, she wondered what was happening. She had heard her mother crying last night, but Nurse had not allowed her to go see her. Now she stood on deck, her small hand clutched tightly in her mother's, and wondered where her Papa was. Was he still seasick, as Mama had told her a few days ago when she'd asked for him. She wished she could go and sit beside him and help him get better. Things were not the same without him to play with.
They were going on a grand adventure, he had told she and her brother. To a place called England. They would have ponies to ride, and live in a big house. He had to leave India because his family needed him. She hadn't cared. As long as they were all together, it didn't matter where they were. She’d heard Mama tell Papa that, and she believed it. They would always be together. Then Papa had lifted Mama off her feet and twirled around, the two of them laughing and hugging.
The ship was very big, but Papa had taken she and Jon to their cabin and helped them settle in with Nurse. Then he had told both of them to be good and taken Mama off to see to their trunks. Just before the ship sailed, he had come back for them and taken them up on deck. With the unquestioning trust of a four-year-old, she'd sat on her Papa's broad shoulders and watched India get smaller and smaller until there was just a little speck a long, long ways away.
She leaned forward now to peek around her mother. Her brother stood straight and silent on their mother's other side. Mama's hand rested on his shoulder. Suddenly the Captain stepped forward and handed him something. Papa's sword! Why did the Captain have it? Why give it to Jon? Was he supposed to give it back to Papa? The Captain leaned down to say something to Jon just as Nurse pulled her back to stand up straight.
A moment later, the platform tilted and something slid off of it into the water, the splash echoing around them. Watching it, she was sure that she had seen a glimpse of a red coat and shiny boots. She turned to look up at her mother through wide eyes; they looked just like Papa's coat and boots. The Captain came over and said something to Mama, then Nurse gave Mama a hug and Mama was crying again.
Confusion set in. Where was Papa? He was supposed to be giving Mama hugs. Only Papa could give Mama hugs that made her laugh. So, where was he?

denisepatrick
April 2nd, 2008, 12:01 AM
June 1844

It has been over a year since my beloved, my Jonathan, died and was buried at sea. As he requested, I sought out his friend, Nathan, when I arrived in England.

Although I did not expect to feel anything except gratitude to him for his many kindnesses to me and my children, over the past year I have come to rely on Nathan for much more than support. He has, in fact, become my rock.

He is so different from Jonathan. He is gruff at times, but never harsh. Jon adores him and Tina has begun to call him "Papa." In a way it pains me that she will never know her own father, but Nathan has filled that void in his own gentle way.

When I watch him with my children, I know that my feelings are more than mere appreciation. I have come to rely on him as a helper and confidant, too. I do not know what I would have done without his assistance. Jonathan's mother has refused to see me and returned every letter I have written unopened. She seems to have no interest in her grandchildren. That, too, saddens me.

It amazes me that I miss Nathan when he is not here. He has never treated me with anything other than gentle kindness. He has even suggested that should I want my own establishment, he would have Jonathan's mother displaced. I have declined. I do not want to replace her, but I wish my children could know her. Nathan has said that she, too, has been through much in the past year or so, and has become very bitter because of it. He says I should let it go for now.

I don't know what I would do without him for counsel and guidance.

Dear God, I think I am falling in love! How can I betray Jonathan's memory this way?

Dani
April 2nd, 2008, 12:06 AM
I haven't wanted to post and interrupt the flow of your posts, but they sound so good and I had to tell you that! :biggrin:

denisepatrick
April 2nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks, Dani. I don't mind the interruption. If it's short, people can get through it and on to the good stuff!! smilies/beer1.gif

Linda L Lattimer
April 7th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Mine will be short, too, Denise, I love the way you tell this story

hugs Linda

denisepatrick
April 8th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks, Linda. I'll be back shortly with another background vignette.

denisepatrick
April 11th, 2008, 12:00 AM
July 1844

Have I done the right thing? Despite knowing that I have fallen in love with Nathan, I worry that I have done my children a disservice by marrying him. It's too late to have second thoughts - and I know that Jonathan would have wanted me to be happy.

I still feel a little odd occasionally - until Nathan looks at me. Then I know that I am in the right place. His son, Aaron, is polite, but I don't think he cares much for me. He seems distant. Nathan insists that he will accept us all with time, but since he is away at Oxford for now, it is not an issue.

Nathan is still grieving the loss of his second son. He tells me often he wishes he'd been more understanding. It never occurred to him that Jay would up and disappear without a trace. But, that is what has happened.

denisepatrick
April 18th, 2008, 01:54 PM
June 1845

I should not laugh at my children so, but I cannot help it.

Jon and Tina have been arguing over who can hold their new baby sister. Both have already become so attached that neither wanted to spend the summer with their great-grandmother. Nathan and I have sent them off anyway. Nona, Mira, and Carlo will take good care of them and they will have a wonderful adventure.

Nathan and I will remain at Thane Park, marveling over the tiny new arrival. Carolyn Felicia made her arrival almost a month ago and has become a delightful addition to our family.

hollie
April 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM
this is wounderful bhowdysmilie.gif

denisepatrick
May 9th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Thank you, Hollie.

Stay tuned for another installment.

denisepatrick
May 9th, 2008, 06:59 PM
March 1849

My little Tina has just turned 10. I freely admit bias, but I can see the beauty she will be when she grows up. She sometimes has the most amazing temper, which I can see she has inherited from her father. There are times when I watch her and wonder what Jonathan would have thought of her.

I don't have to wonder about Nathan, however, as he dotes on Tina and spoils her terribly. It is clear he adores both of "his girls". He has been talking about betrothing her to his heir, Aaron. I have no idea what Aaron thinks of this, but I would hope that Nathan would not force him.

Jon is away at Eton. His letters home are not regular, but when they come they are full of his doings and the few friends he's made. He often mentions a friend by the name of Teddy. Someday, I'll have to find out more about this Teddy - at least who his family is.

denisepatrick
June 3rd, 2008, 11:22 AM
Summer 1850

My baby is betrothed! I have not been able to tell what Aaron actually thinks about this. At 25, he has learned to keep his feelings and thoughts hidden. However, he does not seem unhappy with the events.

Tina seems happy with the turn of events. I think she has always looked on Aaron as a "Knight in Shining Armor." We will see if she still feels that way in seven or eight years.

Jon, however, is not happy with the betrothal. He and Nathan have discussed why, but neither has bothered to tell me what they discussed. I suppose he is becoming a young man and, at 13, doesn't feel the need to tell his mother everything. Whatever they discussed, he seems content.

denisepatrick
June 14th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Summer 1850 - part 2

This year we allowed Felicia to go with her brother and sister to spend the summer with Nona. She seems so small to be traipsing all over the country with a gypsy caravan, but Jon and Tina both promised to watch over her. Even though she is only five, she already has a mind of her own.

I might not have allowed her to go, but she begged to be allowed and Nona promised that she would come to no harm. *sigh* I don't want my baby to grow up too soon, but she is doing so anyway.

Nathan has given Aaron stewardship over Collingswood. He and Aaron feel this is a good move as it will be his home once he and Tina marry. Although the wedding is many years off yet, Aaron seems eager to prove that he is responsible and reliable.

denisepatrick
July 22nd, 2008, 02:52 PM
October 1852

Nathan has pointed out a small notice in The Times. Baron Ashton Milden has died. I would not have given the name much thought, except that Nathan's curiosity about my former mother-in-law's dislike of me sent him searching for my family background.

Lord Ashton Milden, it seems, was my uncle. My mother never spoke about her father's family, except to say she once had three brothers who hated her. My grandfather doted on her, but once he was gone, she was left to the mercy of a hostile family. I have no reason to mourn my uncle, or send condolences. With my mother's death, there was no reason to ever have contact with that side of my family again.

Tara S Nichols
July 22nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
Great premise! Gypsies are so fastinating!

denisepatrick
August 6th, 2008, 11:10 PM
August 1853

My children have returned from another summer with their great-grandmother. We had to insist that Jon go in June, or he would have stayed home. It turns out he was needed as Felicia made a new friend and it was Jon who appointed himself their guardian and keeper - a task he complains about good-naturedly when he wants some sympathy.

Felicia misses her little friend, Katie. She, apparently, was the child of a well-to-do family in the Lake District as Jon says her speech and mannerisms equaled Felicia's. Nona apparently took a special interest in Katie, so he was satisfied that she was an acceptable playmate for Felicia. He has told Nathan that he was sure her mother was having an affair with one of the other men in the gypsy band.

One wonders what will happen to her without Felicia to play with, but I suppose that she did fine before Felicia came along, so will probably be just fine now that Felicia is gone. Still, it would have been nice to know who she was as Felicia is often a little lonely at home.

denisepatrick
August 11th, 2008, 05:17 PM
September 1853

Aaron has a new friend I do not like. I suppose he's not really new, as he and Aaron have been friends for about a year, but this Roderick Milton makes me leery for reasons I just don't understand. Nona would tell me to go with my instinct on this.

I'm thankful they do not come to Thane Park very often, but remain at Collingswood. When they do come, I often feel as if Mr. Milton is watching both me and my children with a bit of the disdain. I suspect Aaron has been indiscreet and told him that my grandmother is a gypsy.

denisepatrick
September 8th, 2008, 06:43 PM
May 1855

Tina has been acting strangely since Nathan's birthday in April. I thought she was happy to see Aaron, but she seems withdrawn, almost shy, with him. She's never done so before. I wonder if, now that she's 16, she's beginning to look upon him in a different way because of the betrothal. He's a fine looking young man and I'm sure has many women interested in him.

On the other hand, Felicia has always worshiped her older brother, but now does not seem to be inclined to even be in the same room with him. I wonder if Aaron has done something to either or both of them.

Or, perhaps it is his companion, for even I do not like Mr. Milton. It is unsettling to be in the same room with him as I can feel his hostility. Moreso because Aaron has talked Nathan into hiring Milton as his new steward. Milton has obviously run an estate before because Nathan was impressed with his knowledge and abilities when they spoke. Regardless, I still am uneasy in his presence.

klmc37
September 12th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Give us more. Now you have me hooked.

Kimmyl

denisepatrick
September 13th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Notice in The Times - June 25, 1855

In Memoriam
Aaron Nathaniel, Viscount Collings
Born: November 12, 1825
Died: June 23, 1855

------------------------------------------------
Life is terribly unfair! Poor Nathan is beside himself with grief. I thought losing my first husband was terrible. I cannot fathom what it feels like to lose a child. At times like this Nona would say "Death is a part of life. We all experience it eventually."

But, to that I would say, "A parent should not outlive their own child." Especially in such a senseless way as a duel. Aaron always seemed a bit reckless, but lately we thought he was settling down, preparing himself for marriage and a family. I don't know that we will ever know the entire story.

Both Tina and Felicia are acting strangely in the wake of Aaron's death. I do not want to say they are happy, but their tears do not seem to be tears of loss. I almost suspect them of being relieved. My curiosity is aroused, but for now must be left on its own as Nathan needs me more.

denisepatrick
September 16th, 2008, 01:37 PM
October 1855

I know I should not judge - and I am trying not to, but I cannot contain my shock over learning that Ella, our Cook's daughter, is pregnant. She is only 16 - still a child! Daisy and her family have been a part of this family for a very long time. Daisy's mother was Cook here before her. Felicia absolutely adores their entire family. So, what am I to tell her?

I know that trying to forbid Felicia from seeing them would be a disaster, but I do not want her thinking that there is nothing wrong in this entire situation. Perhaps, I should discuss this with her, but nine is too young to understand sexual intimacy. Perhaps I ought to just warn her that what Ella has done is wrong and babies should not be born unless the parents are married.

I worry that someday this will all come back to haunt me because I know Nona was not married to my great-grandfather.

denisepatrick
September 25th, 2008, 10:58 AM
December 1855

Someday my children will find these diaries and wonder at my ramblings. Perhaps I should burn them, for what I'm about to write should never come to light. But, I cannot contain myself - I am filled with anxiousness and very troubled over Nathan's latest action.

He has had his solicitor replace Aaron's name on the betrothal contract with his second son's. It has been over 10 years since Andrew (called Jay) left Collingswood. He has not been seen nor heard from in all those years. Nathan worries that he might be dead, but refuses to believe it. Instead, he wants to make sure that a promise he's made to Tina is kept. Why he thinks Jay will honor the contract is beyond me.

I think that his grief over Aaron's loss is speaking and hope that once he has a chance to think it all through, he will change his mind. Until then, I am still worried about him.

denisepatrick
October 13th, 2008, 05:22 PM
March 1856

Felicia is upset with me these days. I have told her she should not look upon Ella with approval and have forbidden her to visit that young woman and her new baby boy. It has been a difficult month since the infant was born at the end of January, and I'm certain Felicia has disobeyed me more than once.

She is so young to be so attached to this child, but I can tell that her stubbornness will eventually cause her grief. I will pray that it is not lasting.

denisepatrick
April 17th, 2009, 09:49 AM
April 1856

I wish Nona were here. She would have some advice for what I should do. I have spoken to Nathan regarding my uneasiness around Aaron's friend, Mr. Milton. My fears have fallen on deaf ears and now, Nathan has allowed him to move into rooms in the house. I do not like it.

I did not object when Nathan allowed him to continue on as steward after Aaron's death, but I do not like him in the house with my daughters. Nathan has said there is nothing to worry about, and has given him rooms in a completely different wing, but that has not mollified me in the least.

I have a bad feeling that we are not finished with tragedy in this house.