PDA

View Full Version : Romance... Ratings... Huh? (xpost)

kuroisama
August 15th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Hey All,

It has come to my attention that the romance community needs to get together and come up with a rating system. Sure, sure, every publisher has their own. I mean a rating system that is agreed upon and implemented straight across the board for EVERY romance from the inspirational and YA to erotic and risque. Frankly all books should have ratings just like movies and video games, but I'm not getting into all books, just romance...

Want to read more?

Stop by my blog: http://dreneebagby.blogspot.com/2007/08/romance-rating-system.html

PS - In case it was unclear, this is a declaration that I updated my blog. ;P

Karenne
August 15th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Great Topic!

I tried to post my comment, but it didn't like me today:dots:

But I tried honey!

kuroisama
August 15th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I think I stirred up a hornet's nest with this one. Which is sad, since nobody said boo to the "violence in romance" and "rape in romance" ones I posted in the weeks before.

Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

Karenne
August 15th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Well..you know..sometimes the best topics (in my opinion) are the ones that have everyone..thinking. So I like it. Sorry that some of them are getting ugly about it.

:dots:

kuroisama
August 15th, 2007, 05:51 PM
I'll deal, I guess. It's always hard to predict where people will run with a topic. I thought I'd be safe (as it were) since a rating system of sorts is already in place, albeit wide and varied.

Whatever. It's out there and I'm not taking it back. I think we need a rating system. Romance has changed a lot over the years to encompass all types of relationships not just one guy and one girl.

MPAA and ESRB weren't around from the beginning of movies and video games. They started from a need and that need has hit Romance. :)

Dani
August 15th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I agree Renee. Some people buy these books not realizing what's in them until they get home and read it. Then they have a royal fit with the place they bought it from or the author themselves and it just becomes a terrible mess.

They also need a classification system in place too. Because there are so many different sub-genres in the genre of romance. That's just my thought on it.

Oh, BTW Renee, I just figured out that I see you posting periodically on The Hussies yahoo group. LOL! Call me a little slow on the up take sometimes. :biggrin:

kuroisama
August 15th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I agree Renee. Some people buy these books not realizing what's in them until they get home and read it. Then they have a royal fit with the place they bought it from or the author themselves and it just becomes a terrible mess.

That's what I'm talking about. I went to one forum (that got me all depressed so I'm not going back because I don't want writer's block setting in) and all the people posting just complained incessantly about the "surprises" in the books they bought and how they would NEVER buy that author again. It's one thing to think it but it's another thing to come out and post something like that which might influence someone else not to buy, thus screwing up that author's sales.

They also need a classification system in place too. Because there are so many different sub-genres in the genre of romance. That's just my thought on it.

Romance isn't a genre anymore. I don't know the word I'm looking for but that's what Romance is and everything else is a genre within it, not a sub-genre. :) Because, I'm sorry, vampire is a sub-genre of paranormal and sub-genres CANNOT have sub-genres. Thus paranormal is a genre and that makes Romance a...uh... Super Genre. Or something.

Oh, BTW Renee, I just figured out that I see you posting periodically on The Hussies yahoo group. LOL! Call me a little slow on the up take sometimes. :biggrin:

Yup. I stop by when I think I can contribute. Since I haven't been reading that much lately -- trying soooo hard to get this WIP finished (almost there) -- I haven't read any of Ciana or Sally's books. I've bought a few of Sally's but haven't read them yet. So I'll lurk there until I read something and can talk about it.

Dani
August 15th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I have no idea anymore what to call it all. I was always told that romance was one genre, mystery another and so on and so forth. Now it seems that they are all being pushed together and have paranormal themes and what not. That's the only reason that I said there should be some sort of classification system for it. Because there are poeple out there, like me when I started reading these kinds of books, that have no clue about it at all. I mean the back of the book helps tell something, but there needs to be more info.