PDA

View Full Version : Dog Shows

maura
August 21st, 2007, 11:03 AM
I show my dogs in obedience trials---a fun and possibly exhausting hobby

Karenne
August 21st, 2007, 12:00 PM
How does that work Maura? The only thing I know about dog training is what I have seen in that funny movie.

So what do you do?:baffled:

maura
August 21st, 2007, 03:10 PM
I have been taking my various dogs, now on my fourth and fifth, to obedience classes for the last 15 years. Once you get past basic obedience you can go on to train to compete against other teams. There is regular obedience and Rally O(kind of like an obedience obstacle course or scavenger hunt but fun).

In the first level the dog should be able to walk at heel, sit when you stop, come when they are called, and sit for one minute and down for three minutes in a group off leash. My golden just got the title for this level Companion Dog or CD, Major is next. She also has the first level Rally title RN and has two out of three legs for the Rally Advanced title RA. You have to get a score of 170/200 or better from three judges at three different shows for a title.

The next two levels are much more difficult and are best described by the AKC (www.akc.org). A dog has to be registered by the AKC or another organization like the UKC for competition. The UKC accepts mixed breeds for obedience, but it is a much smaller organization and shows are hard to find. If your dog is a purebred with no papers, the AKC will give it an ILP number as long as it looks like the breed and is neutered, you can't show in the breed ring (Like Westminster) but can in ALL performance events.
They also have competitions geared for particular types of dogs, Field trials for hunting dogs, herding trials for herding dogs, earthdog trials for terriers and Lure coursing for sight hounds(they chase a plastic bag around a field, I kid you not). There is also the ever popular agility and flyball that you see on Animal Planet, not my thing but alot of people have fun with it.

So far, my dogs have earned 3 CD's (my last two had orthopedic issued that did not allow jumping), 1 RN, 2 CGC's(Canine Good Citizen), 1 TDI(therapy dog), and the most fun of all 2 TC's temperament certifications from the German Shepherd Dog Club of America- they tested my GSD and my Golden and the Golden scored just two points under the Shepherd(she lost them when they shot a gun behind her and instead of startling and then going into protection mode she looked up in the sky for a duck-the examiner loved that!

Anyway, the shows are fun, obedience people for the most part have a great sense of humor-we have to, and it's a great way to get out with your dog.
How does that work Maura? The only thing I know about dog training is what I have seen in that funny movie.

So what do you do?:baffled:

Jennifer
September 13th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Wow that's impressive!

Not to go off-topic here, but would you have any suggestions for a stubborn puppy not going to the bathroom where he should? He used to go in a designated spot on puppy pads and was excellent about it, now he will go wherever he wants no matter what. It's getting frustrating. The routine hasn't changed at all either. I caught him on the couch the other day squatting.

maura
September 24th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Sorry to take so long to answer. I recommend crate training. The pup won't go where he sleeps and if you keep the crate close to a door, you can take them right outside.

Puppy Housebreaking rules:

When I wake up I have to go.

After I eat I have to go.

When I play I have to go.

No water after 7 if you want to sleep through the night.

Put me in a crate if you can't keep an eye on me.

The important thing at that age is to make sure the puppy does things right. You can even teach them to go on command if you want. Contact me off list if you want that too. Crate training helps alot, it becomes like their room. I leave the doors open and if they want to rest or get away from each other in they go. Also remember that no puppy has full bladder control until they are 4 mos old.

Good luck!

Maura

Wow that's impressive!

Not to go off-topic here, but would you have any suggestions for a stubborn puppy not going to the bathroom where he should? He used to go in a designated spot on puppy pads and was excellent about it, now he will go wherever he wants no matter what. It's getting frustrating. The routine hasn't changed at all either. I caught him on the couch the other day squatting.

maura
September 24th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Do you mean Best in Show? That is what we call the Breed end and more of a beauty contest. The scary part is that as funny as that movie is, it isn't very far from the truth. I did that briefly with my first German Shepherd, but my breeds are all controlled by professional handlers and owner handlers just don't have the same clout. Now I just do obedience and rally obedience and am learning a little about agility. Obedience is just that. The dogs get judged on how well they obey commands and behave. There is an on lead heeling pattern with stops and turns and changes in pace, the dog must remain in heel position throughout. Then there is a figure eight, another heeling pattern. They then take your leash away and you must stand your dog and walk 6 ft away. The judge then touches dog's head, shoulders, and hindquarters and he isn't allowed to move. After that you must do the same heeling pattern without the leash. Then you must leave the dog on the other side of the ring and when the judge tells you, you call the dog and hope that he comes and sits in front of you and then goes to heel when you tell him. Lastly, there are the group exercises. A one minute long sit and a three minute long down in a line of other dogs with you on the other side of the ring. That's only the first level, later on comes jumping, retrieving, scent articles, hand signals, gloves and all kinds of fun and nerve wracking exercises. Rally is kind of an obedience scavenger hunt. There are 13-15 stations numbered, and you must go from station to station and perform various exercises. They time you in case of a tie and you ar allowed to talk to but not touch your dog, less stressful, that's probably why I am in a more advanced level in that. Hopefully after Friday we will be moving up again!

Maura

Jennifer
September 24th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks a bunch for that info. We decided to buy a "Wizdog" and so far that seems to be working for him. He slips up at least once a day, but we've been giving lots of praise and hopefully he will get it completely.

Sorry to take so long to answer. I recommend crate training. The pup won't go where he sleeps and if you keep the crate close to a door, you can take them right outside.

Puppy Housebreaking rules:

When I wake up I have to go.

After I eat I have to go.

When I play I have to go.

No water after 7 if you want to sleep through the night.

Put me in a crate if you can't keep an eye on me.

The important thing at that age is to make sure the puppy does things right. You can even teach them to go on command if you want. Contact me off list if you want that too. Crate training helps alot, it becomes like their room. I leave the doors open and if they want to rest or get away from each other in they go. Also remember that no puppy has full bladder control until they are 4 mos old.

Good luck!

Maura

maura
September 25th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Hi Jennifer,

I have never heard of a Wizdog, what is it? I am glad he is doing better, I think the boys are harder than the girls, but patience will win out in the end.

Maura

Thanks a bunch for that info. We decided to buy a "Wizdog" and so far that seems to be working for him. He slips up at least once a day, but we've been giving lots of praise and hopefully he will get it completely.

Jennifer
October 9th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Here is a link for it... http://wizdog.com/ We ended up getting it off of eBay for a waaayyy better price.

maura
October 15th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I show my dogs in obedience trials---a fun and possibly exhausting hobby

My Angel got her Rally Advanced title on 9/28!! We are so proud of her!

Maura

maura
December 3rd, 2007, 11:41 AM
I have to decide whether I am going to let my girl participate in a demo for the local Golden Retriever club. They have decided to do Rally for the first time. Only problem is that the woman running things makes my brain hurt! I am probably going to enter, but will run it by my breeder about the demo, she is one of the organizers of the matches and shows.

GAAAAAHHHHHH!

maura
January 18th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Annoyingly the AKC took back my leg. I still qualified but entered her in the A class three days after my 60 day window was over. BUT, it gives me an excuse to enter the Golden Retriever specialty in February. They are offering Rally for the first time. It is indoors and I get a chance to see all of the Goldens that will be at Westminster this year. They all enter here because it is less than an hour from the Garden and gives them a last chance to get their dogs out and about in front of the judges. Wish me luck!!!!!

Karenne
January 18th, 2008, 11:11 AM
What does 'takes back my leg' mean Maura?:wideeyed:

maura
January 18th, 2008, 03:46 PM
What does 'takes back my leg' mean Maura?:wideeyed:
In order to get a performance title you have to get three qualifying scores (legs) in obedience from 3 different judges and in Rally from two different judges. In my case I qualified but was in the wrong class, so they erased my score from the record books or took back my leg. I didn't realize how that sounded until I read your post. It is funny at shows because you can continue to show in your particular level for 60 days after you get your title( that was my problem, I miscalculated), so sometimes you will have a four or six "legged" dog.

Karenne
January 18th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks Maura! I hope you get your leg back!Laugh it Up fuzball

maura
January 22nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
If all goes well and it usually does with this girl, I should have it a week from Thursday. In obedience class, they just want to know if there will be another party.

maura
February 8th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Well we got our Rally Advanced Title AGAIN last night. Clerical error on my part, but we got a great score 97/100. Angel was on fire all night.

Maura

Karenne
February 8th, 2008, 10:58 AM
So...congrats? Cookiesmilies

maura
February 8th, 2008, 04:07 PM
So...congrats? Cookiesmilies

Yes, we are all very excited. Unfortunately her buddy didn't do that well. Ruby refused to jump for Frank, so they NQ'd, but we still had fun and this time they can't take my leg away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(lol)

maura
February 8th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I just love this dog, she tries so hard, thus the good score.

maura
March 25th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Dog show season is coming, I just got my first premium lists. Unfortunately Angel is not ready for open and not quite for her RE, but Major should entertain the crowds. Pogo is a surprisingly quick learner, so we should be starting him soon too.

Laura K
March 25th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Congrats to you and your Angel. I have pugs, I hear they don't do very well in obedience trials. Couldn't tell that from my two angels, Innocent? ha, ha, ha! My mom didn't call them "devil dogs" for nothing!

Betty_Hanawa
March 25th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I really admire your dedication in training your dog for the shows. I'd like to train my Chihuahua/Terrier mix (6 lbs) as a therapy dog. Both my dogs are such comfort to me, but my Schnauzer is 8 years old and a bit grumpy because of arthritis, so I think the smaller dog might be better at dealing with different people.

maura
March 26th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I really admire your dedication in training your dog for the shows. I'd like to train my Chihuahua/Terrier mix (6 lbs) as a therapy dog. Both my dogs are such comfort to me, but my Schnauzer is 8 years old and a bit grumpy because of arthritis, so I think the smaller dog might be better at dealing with different people.

Therapy Dogs, Int'l is a good place to start. They test the dogs and even provide insurance with your yearly and very reasonable dues. My first Golden Penny was a member for years, I still have her ID.

www.tdi-dog.org

The Delta Society is also very good

http://www.deltasociety.org/

I hope this helps you out. There are alot of treatments for arthritis these days that you might want to check out, unless he's a Giant 8 is pretty young and the vet should be able to help you make him feel better.

Take care,

Maura

maura
March 26th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Congrats to you and your Angel. I have pugs, I hear they don't do very well in obedience trials. Couldn't tell that from my two angels, Innocent? ha, ha, ha! My mom didn't call them "devil dogs" for nothing!

To be honest I think in the last 15 years that I have only seen one or two in obedience trials, but there is a new obedience sport called Rally where in the first level the dog is always on a leash and you can talk, clap your hands and generally encourage all you want as long as you don't touch him. I have a Bichon as well as the two obedience breeds, and I have only seen a couple of them in the ring, one of them being his Uncle Rex, so he might be a bit of a challenge, though like my other two he is a showoff. Pugs are full of mischief and love though, so they are great to have around.

Maura

maura
May 4th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Wish Me luck this coming weekend. I am judging at our club's match(practice) dog show. I have two titles in Rally, but I am judging one class I have watched alot but never competed in. Fortunately the people I will be judging are usually pretty forgiving(i hope). My Bichon's breeder wants to come out to see the little maniac and I am showing my GSD the next weekend, so I am a little stressed.

maura
May 4th, 2008, 08:54 PM
I love the icon. Actually Angel's name is Windmere's I'm No Angel, CD, RA, she can either be an angel or live up to her nickname, Angel the Devil Dog, depending on her mood or how hungry she is. The girls in my obedience class also call her "gator" or "jaws".

Laura K
May 5th, 2008, 10:20 AM
How did it go? Just wondering....I sent you cyber thoughts all weekend! Laura

maura
May 6th, 2008, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the thoughts I need all the help I can get. I just lost and gained a steward, darn school functions. My twelve year old nephew is filling in for his fourteen year old brother. Such good kids they don't let me down. The match is this coming weekend and the real shows are the next Friday and Sunday. I definitely will need a vacation after this!

maura
May 19th, 2008, 11:43 AM

Well, my weekend was kind of mixed. I discovered that my big bad GSD is a wuss in the rain. It was a torrential downpour during most of his time in the ring and the judge and I both agreed that it wasn't a good idea to take the leash off. So regular obedience was a washout(pun intended). I was crazy anyway so I took him over to the Rally ring and decided to give that a try. We actually qualified, not pretty, but we qualified with a 78 of 100. On Sunday, I was pretty sure he wasn't going to be in the right state of mind for a show, Friday really upset him. So I took him to the site, put up his crate and fed him treats. The judge would not have been a good one for him. We did try Rally again and took second place with another 78. He wasn't toooo bad, but the course was really hard, three of the thirteen exercises involve me going backward. So now he only needs one more leg for his RN and we met alot of nice people and two very nice judges, the obedience judge I already knew, he has some really awesome Aussies. Oh well as they say "train don't complain", so back to the drawing board for me.

Little Pogo started school, and loves it.

Maura

hollie
May 19th, 2008, 11:47 AM
congratulations (i think) but it sounds like it was entertaining and second is good

maura
May 19th, 2008, 11:51 AM
congratulations (i think) but it sounds like it was entertaining and second is good

Thank you, I was really happy on Sunday, because we ended on a really good note!!! He wasn't scared or upset anymore.

Maura

maura
July 17th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Major got his RN(Rally Novice) this weekend Angel got her first RE leg. I finally taught her to heel in reverse and of course this is the first RE course I have ever seen without it!

maura
October 2nd, 2008, 10:33 PM
Angel and I got our Rally Excellent title this weekend. She took fourth place on Saturday and qualified on Sunday. Not bad, I had to be in the B class with all the people going for their RAE, so I was thrilled to place!

Laura K
October 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
Congrats! You must be over the moon! Raising two pug paws in triumph over here for you!!

maura
October 4th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks, on to the open ring next!!!

maura
February 13th, 2009, 10:33 AM
We started Open last weekend. Angel did everything but the broad jump, so we are working on it. We were especially thrilled Saturday. On the long sit(the handler is out of sight on this one) another dog got up and started kissing Angel. Not only did she not break, she turned her head and ignored the rude dog. YAY!!!!!!!