PDA

View Full Version : I grew up watching Dark Shadows and Barnabas.

HeartFelt Promos
August 13th, 2006, 11:47 PM
One of my favorite sites!
I grew up watching Dark Shadows and Barnabas.
http://www.laraparker.com/
Dark Shadows

That autumn, as she rode in the wagon towards Gallows Hill, Miranda du Val was not thinking of the babe in her arms they had given her to suckle one last time, nor was she thinking of Andrew Merriweather, whom they had already broken and banished to the forest, nor Judah Zachery, whose head was far from his body. She was thinking of her bright farm aflame with the Devil's torches, the fiery maples against a cloudless sky, and the ribbon of stream that beavers had backed into a pond. She had let them have it finally, when she had decided a pond was as good a thing to have as a wood lot.

Cynthianna
September 7th, 2006, 04:51 PM
I adore Dark Shadows! I didn't know Lara Parker had a web site... This is great to know. Thanks for sharing the info.

Barnabas is my fave vampire--such a tortured soul who wants to do good. :)

Cindy (who writes vampire fiction as Celine Chatillon)
http://www.celinechatillon.com

Sapphire Phelan
September 13th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I was a teen when it came out and had to rush home after school to do my homework so I could watch it. My moher was heavily into soaps and I was/am not, but we both watched this together. I was into Barnabas and my mother into Quentin. I would watch over and over when they were on SciFi Channel, but I think I need to buy the DVDs. Want the two films too--yeah, saw both in the theater when they came out. Met Jonathan Frid one year at a Dark Shadows con hubby took me to (he's not into Dark Shadows at all, so this was sweet of him) and Jonathan actually gave me a kiss on my hand--it was so cool. Met Lara Parker and John Karlen at cons earlier in my life too. One of my horror author friends, Stephen Mark rainey co-wrote two of thr books, one with Elizabeth Massie and other with Lara Parker, and he is now giving away a pdf file of a Dark Shadows book of his since no longer with publisher and he wants at least people to enjoy it. You can get it at http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey/index1.htm It's Dark Shadows The Labyrinth of Souls. :)
Sapphire Phelan
http://FantasticDreams.50megs.com
http://PamelaKKinney.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/pamelakkinney
http://revelinginromance.blogspot.com (shared blog with other Chippewa Publishing/Lady Aibell Press romance authors)

Cynthianna
September 13th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the link to the free ebook, Sapphire! :)

I never saw the Dark Shadows repeat on the Sci-Fi Channel (probably didn't receive the channel when it was on), but I did check the DVDs out of my local library. I even got my husband hooked on them! (Especially the time travel series when Vicki is on trial and Barnabas is turned into a vampire by Angelique.)

Dark Shadows prove that good vampires never die--they just go on DVD! :)

kristin724
September 17th, 2006, 10:31 PM
You guys are my new BFFs! I watched the reruns as a kid and I have most of the shows on tape.

Ah, to upgrade to DVD! Mom prefers Barnabas, but I'm a Quentin baby myself!

Cynthianna
September 18th, 2006, 04:03 PM
I don't know... I think Barnabas rules! It's those eyes of his. You gotta love that "vampire little boy lost" look at times. :)

(That's where the hero of my book Help! I'm Falling for the Vampire Next Door gets his "soul" from--he wants to live as a human, too.)

Cindy
aka Celine Chatillon
Help! I'm Falling for the Vampire Next Doorhttp://www.liquidsilverbooks.com/books/helpimfallingetc.htm

Donna Nichols
September 23rd, 2006, 04:50 PM
I grew up loving the show too. I was thrilled when they were bringing it back - but I think it only lasted one season...pity...
I've never seen the re-runs on SciFi or any other channel...now I'm not going to be able to get it out of my head till I run to blockbuster and see if I can rent some old episodes!;)

Donna
DEADLY LAUNDRY - AVAILABLE NOW!
WWW.Triskelionpublishing.com (http://www.Triskelionpublishing.com)
WWW.Donnanichols.net (http://www.Donnanichols.net)

Regina
October 1st, 2006, 01:12 AM
It's funny, I never discovered this show until I found it on tape at the video store! LOL I was quite little when that show came out, and so it has been interesting to watch them now.

Regina

jennzilla
November 5th, 2006, 02:43 AM
One of my favorite sites!
I grew up watching Dark Shadows and Barnabas.

I was too young to see it in its first run.. :shifty: however, thanks to my MUCH older hubby, I have been blessed by the DVD version. While the voice over is a bit cheesy and the music gets on my last nerve, I do find myself drawn to the story. And wow, that had to have been some cutting edge stuff for its day!

I will say my mother's much younger hubby was really afraid of Barnabas. His sister helped this along by telling him that he'd get him if he was bad. So, one day he was 'ironing' the carpet with a toy iron that was very heavy. When Dark Shadows came on, he simply threw the iron at the TV. He did this again with a screwdriver. Two TV's gone the way of the DoDo thanks to the terrifying visage of Barnabas Collins. Now THAT'S gotta be a record.

Hubby also got the book .. and his fave character was Angelique.

kristin724
November 5th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Ah, the things Dark Shadows made me and my sister do! The senances! We tried to run up and down our stairs a few thousands times to see if we could time travel. I had an old toy phone that I swore I could hear breathing on. Now, my parents were married in the 70s, and our house still has a few of that mid centruy gothic DS style. Green and blue sheets, anyone?

Sapphire Phelan
November 29th, 2006, 12:39 PM
but I'm a Quentin baby myself!<<<

That was my mother. I was the Barnabas person.
Sapphire Phelan

BarbaraSheridan
February 23rd, 2007, 11:10 PM
I adored Dark Shadows and I so wanted to be Angelique back when I was thirteen.

I heard a rumor they were going to try and bring it back again? I wish they would. The 1990 series was so promising but premiered at a bad time. :(

BarbaraSheridan
February 23rd, 2007, 11:12 PM
Mom prefers Barnabas, but I'm a Quentin baby myself!

Back in the day when DS was first on tv I loved Barnabas but when I rewatched on the Sci Fi channel as an adult Quentin definitely became The Man for me.

Lainey
February 24th, 2007, 12:57 AM
OH NO ALL YOU DS FANS
Quentin was the cutie back then haha.. yummy I was a kid who would rush home everyday after school and watch it my friends house they had a color tv and we had black and white both consoles on the floor and big but hers was better.

Oh and Lara's Theme and Josette's Theme were 2 of my favorites to listen to I even have the old vinyl LP even now with the words to the songs and pictures of Barnabas and Quentin and Collinwood on it.

Long live Dark Shadows nothing can beat it.

Cynthianna
February 25th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Wow, I'd love a new series of Dark Shadows... Hopefully it would be updated and just as good as the new series of Doctor Who is. :)

Was there ever talk of a Dark Shadows theatrical release movie? That would be one film worth paying to see! :)

BarbaraSheridan
February 25th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I never heard anything about a new film the only ones I'm familiar with are Night of Dark Shadows and House of Dark Shadows that both came out in the early 70's.

Bit of DS weirdo trivia. When my second book Silver Rain came out in 2000 someone emailed and said I must have been a big Dark Shadows fan. I was surprised and asked how they knew. They said--"You're heroine, she's named Danielle Curtis after the show's creator right?"

I was :swoon: because I never realized I did that.

Teresa D'Amario
January 8th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Are you kidding? I watched Dark Shadows at 3:30, and Star Trek at 4!!!! I am the product of my childhood, ladies and gents! It shows in my writing. LOL. I cried when DS went off the air (Hey! No laughing I was only EIGHT).

About 10 years ago I found them all on VCR tape to rent, and I spent a month watching it, and laughing at the horrible acting, but loving every second of the story lines! A cult Classic indeed!!!

:notworthy:

Cynthianna
January 17th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Anyone watching "Moonlighting" on CBS? I've caught a few episodes and the vampire Mick does remind me a bit of Barnabas Collins as well as my hero Val Drakul in Help I'm Falling for the Vampire Next Door.

I'm glad to see the "tortured soul" vampire who is basically a good guy who wants to be human again is still a popular take on the paranormal character.

Teresa D'Amario
January 28th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I watch it - I've heard rumors it might not make it to next season and that would be a shame. Mostly I'm not a huge tv nut, but this last season I've caught myself watching tv alot. Lots of paranormal stuff coming on. :)

syrenity
September 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Dark Shadows...oh my!! I did so love that show! I rushed home from school because it was scheduled to begin just as I got in. One of the most chilling things I recalled was the voice calling hauntingly "Reverend Trask" over and over! I love Barnabas! Quentin was yummy and all, but it was alway Barnabas! In fact, my daughter got her name because of his sister...Sarah.

syrenity
September 20th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Anyone watching "Moonlighting" on CBS? I've caught a few episodes and the vampire Mick does remind me a bit of Barnabas Collins as well as my hero Val Drakul in Help I'm Falling for the Vampire Next Door.

I'm glad to see the "tortured soul" vampire who is basically a good guy who wants to be human again is still a popular take on the paranormal character.

Loved 'Moonlight'. Very sad that it did not make the cut. Mick was such an introspective soul...made you want to reach out and make it all work out for him.

The final episode I saw, he had actually obtained his humanity again, then had to choose to be once again turned into a vampire by his buddy in order to save the love of his life.

Teresa D'Amario
September 20th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Ah, the things Dark Shadows made me and my sister do! The senances! We tried to run up and down our stairs a few thousands times to see if we could time travel. I had an old toy phone that I swore I could hear breathing on. Now, my parents were married in the 70s, and our house still has a few of that mid centruy gothic DS style. Green and blue sheets, anyone?

OMG the seances. Oh yes, we did those! for years afterward all the girls did seances, trying to call forth "Barnabus Collins" as if he was a real character! We would even "play" Barnabus Collins!

You know one day I picked up a book at the used book store. Don't remember the title or the author, but it's obvious the editor and the publisher were very young. Why? It was Dark Shadows with the names change! I kid you not. They should all have been sued. Right down to the chained coffin in the beginning, the old house next to the new house, the girl he kidnaps and holds prisoner, everything!

I wish I'd kept that book now, but I was so angry I threw it out. But Truthfully, the author should have been outed for plagiarism!

Cynthianna
September 20th, 2008, 06:38 PM
We were the same way--we'd race home and turn it on... and tried not let my mom know we were watching it. She felt that it was "too scary" and would give us nightmares. ;)

But in the summer months, my grandmother watched it along with her other Soaps--so we saw it then anyway!! ;)

Barnabas is the best ever vampire, IMO!! That wounded hero heart of his... His so wanting to be with his true love, and never being able to walk in the daylight... ah! *sob!*