PDA

View Full Version : Another book review for The Mars Imperative

Chapman208
August 30th, 2007, 05:36 PM
This is the closest to a bad review I've gotten so far--it actually brought up a few negatives (which the earlier reviews didn't do), but overall it's still a pretty positive review:

* if you were expecting a half-as$ job since the author is unknown and not a major publisher (hey, I had my doubts) don't worry - this is a professional work of fiction that sets high standards, far better than many novels I've read recently

* I give it four out of five stars.

* this is science-fiction and reminded me at the start of a Heinlein juvi and at the end more like an Alan Dean Foster novel

* I have no idea if the science aspect is believable or not but it sure felt it was believable; more importantly, the science aspect added to the story instead of detracting, a heck of an accomplishment

* the book was particularly appealing when it focused on the main character but particularly weak when he wasn't in the picture

* I'll admit, I detested the terrorist angle and thought it detracted greatly from the story in places; the villain in particular was ill-formed and too much in the black hat mode, though it was obvious this was the author's intent; instead, I couldn't help but find myself wishing that some of problems that kept occurring were Mars induced, not person induced. By contrast, the parts where McKie got in trouble all by his lonesome were particularly enthralling (the air problem, the sandstorm, the meteor) so there was no NEED for a villian (again, my opinion only!)

* there is a sameness to the characters - after finishing the book I couldn't really tell you the main differences between McKie and his friend and the ladies and even some of the people in the various characters in the sites but it was clear this was the author's intention - this wasn't a character study, this was an adventure story, and because the charcaters were so appealing the sameness really didn't matter anyway

* in the final analysis to me at least, this is a 'new world' story handled with grace and style; without the villain in the piece, it would have been darn near perfect, and I don't say this lightly

count me in for book 2 - I also plan to buy another MI copy for my Dad...

Paul Taylor
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25840356

Mark. (The Mars Imperative is available from the CTR bookstore.)

Dani
September 3rd, 2007, 01:44 AM
Mark, I can honestly say that was one of the more interesting reviews that I have ever seen. Wow!

Chapman208
September 4th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Mark, I can honestly say that was one of the more interesting reviews that I have ever seen. Wow!

Danni: "Interesting" as in the Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times."? :)

Mark.

Dani
September 5th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Interesting, as in the the reviewer was very polite in stating the not so good points of the book. I have never read a review with that kind of politeness in it that was written by a guy.

There's a first time for everything though! :lol:

Chapman208
September 6th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Dani: Yes, he was almost apologetic about the fact that there was anything he didn't like about it. :)

In fact, he wrote me a nice email later saying that it probably sounded more negative than he meant it to, because he really liked the book.

Mark.

Dani
September 7th, 2007, 08:48 PM
That was nice of him to email you about it sounding more harsh than he wanted it to. :biggrin:

Chapman208
September 8th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Dani: Yes, he wanted to be sure I knew he really liked the book, despite the negative words about one aspect of the book. I'll be curious to see what he thinks of the next book in the series, when it comes out later this month.

Mark.

Dani
September 8th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Well, be sure to let us know what he thinks. It can be like a continuing saga. :roflmao:

Chapman208
September 9th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Well, be sure to let us know what he thinks. It can be like a continuing saga. :roflmao:

:lol: You bet.

Mark.