PDA

View Full Version : Cover Art / The Covey Awards

David Boultbee
September 2nd, 2007, 03:02 PM
The cover art for my novel, The Gender Divide, was entered by my publisher in a online cover art contest called The Covey Awards.

The last post from the site was early August and in late August the site appeared to be 404'd.

I've gone to blogger and re-registered the site to ask the following question:

Should we keep The Covey Awards alive?

There was good discussion on the issue of Cover Art in one of the I'm Diggin posts.

In addition to responses to the above I'd also appreciate it if you could take the time to let me know if we should keep The Covey Awards alive. Go to http://thecoveyawards.blogspot.com/ (http://thecoveyawards.blogspot.com/) and vote there.

Thanks

David Boultbee
September 5th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Hey everyone

The poll is only open for two more days so if you haven't voted yet please do. I've been getting site traffic but few votes. The few votes received have all been 100% positive so odds are I'll probably keep The Covey Awards going but it would be nice to get a more significant response.

I have no problem running the site but I would like to solicit expert help regarding a logo and award image.

The previous logo / award image was an open book, kind of old fashioned looking. As I recall the award image (the image that the winners could display on their website) was basically a smaller version of the logo with the month and year written over top of it.

If you would like to help please contact me at david@davidboultbee.com (david@davidboultbee.com).

I'm also looking for other categories besides best cover. Ideas so far include worst cover? :nah: and best cover relative to content / blurb. Other ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Regina
September 6th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Hey David,

I voted to keep it going. I'm surprised the site went 404 because a lot of authors including myself had a cover there to vote on. I wonder what happened?

I like the idea a lot, particularly since I've created covers myself. This would be a good way not only for authors to get an award they could post on their website etc. (can't have too many of those as far as I'm concerned. LOL) and also for publishers to see what is working for covers, and what is not.

Regina

David Boultbee
September 6th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Hey David,

I voted to keep it going. I'm surprised the site went 404 because a lot of authors including myself had a cover there to vote on. I wonder what happened?

I like the idea a lot, particularly since I've created covers myself. This would be a good way not only for authors to get an award they could post on their website etc. (can't have too many of those as far as I'm concerned. LOL) and also for publishers to see what is working for covers, and what is not.

Regina

Regina

Thanks for voting.:cool2:

Based the results so far (not overwhelming but traffic is slightly better) I will probably keep the Covey Awards alive. I've actually prepped a new site (http://thenewcoveyawards.blogspot.com) mainly so I could get an email address to match. So please let all your friends know about it since it is a good way for both new and established authors to promote their books plus it provides exposure for cover artists such as yourself.

Also feel free to resubmit your cover (please) to mailto:thenewcoveyawards@gmail.com (thenewcoveyawards@gmail.com) for September.

Thanks

David

David Boultbee
September 6th, 2007, 12:03 PM
BTW I finally got in contact with the old site owner (or one of them) and he indicated that he just go too busy. Apparently he emailed people he knew to see if anyone wanted to take it on but no dice.

I don't have a problem with any of that but for the site to just be 404'd is a little annoying. Personally I would have posted a blog entry looking for other people willing to run it and failing that would have posted a blog entry indicating that the site was shutting down and why. However different strokes for different folks.
:wacko:

Karenne
September 6th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I agree. I want to know that something I watch or participate in is gone and why.

Either that or I worry that I just can't remember the URL.::)

David Boultbee
September 9th, 2007, 10:30 AM
The Covey Awards are dead. Long live The NEW Covey Awards!

The new site is now live at http://thenewcoveyawards.blogspot.com/

The NEW Covey Awards recognizes the importance of Covers in the book purchasing decision. Every month we award two covers with the coveted NEW Covey Award, one for Most Eye-Catching Cover and one for Most Relevant Cover.

We already have our first entry for Sep so hurry to submit your cover.