PDA

View Full Version : Lesson 10: Nutrition

karalennox
April 27th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Whatyou eat and drink has a profound effect on how you feel and how your brainfunctions. If you don't believe me, askDr. Oz. Just watching his show a fewtimes will convince you.<o:p></o:p>

Solook at what you're putting into your body. There is new research that recommends eating 30 grams of protein within30 minutes of rising. That's, like, 5 eggs! While I would never eat that much,I do at least aim for soy milk on my<o:p></o:p>
cereal,or sometimes an egg. Other studies indicate that people who eat breakfast tendto be thinner—skipping breakfast doesn't help you lose weight.<o:p></o:p>

Choosingwhole grains over processed, white flour can really make a difference, too.Whole grains metabolize more slowly, turning gradually into glucose. If you eata doughnut for breakfast, you're much more likely to get a small, quick lift,followed by a sugar crash that will only have you mainlining coffee or stickingyour head in the fridge looking for a snack. Keeping your blood glucose levelstable will help keep your mind clear of brain fog, so you can make the best ofyour writing time.<o:p></o:p>

There'sconflicting studies about coffee. Some say the caffeine isn't good, but decaf(more highly processed) coffee isn't good, either. Some studies say caffeinesharpens your thinking (and for me, I feel like that's true.) Coffee does haveanti-oxidants. My motto is, everything in moderation. So I have one or two cupsof coffee per day. Black or green tea might be an even healthier way to go.<o:p></o:p>

Eatingsix smaller meals per day, rather than three large ones, will keep you fueledall day and help you avoid that overstuffed feeling. <o:p></o:p>
Doyou suffer a mid-afternoon slump? It's partly due to your biorhythms, but acarbohydrate-rich lunch will contribute to your afternoon sleepiness, so makesure you get your protein (fish, chicken, tofu, edamame, and one of my all-timefavorites, peanut butter, walnuts or almonds or any nuts), lots of fruits andveggies, complex carbs, and good fats.<o:p></o:p>

Ifyou're eating your light meals and snacks all day long, you won't be starvingby dinner, and you can feel satisfied with a light meal there, too. Bycompletely avoiding that overstuffed feeling, you'll be lean and mean and readyto write even in the evenings, if that's when you have time or the moodstrikes.<o:p></o:p>

Ihave to stress, though, that there is no perfect eating plan for everyone. Iremember when lo-carb was all the rage (I still think that is a terriblyunhealthy diet, IMHO) I could not do it. Two days of low carbs, and I was readyto mug someone for a loaf of bread. You have to experiment to see what worksbest for you. Keep a food diet, and include not only what you eat, but how youfeel in the hours afterward. If you do this faithfully for a few weeks, youwill start to see patterns and you can design your own perfect Writing GoddessDiet.<o:p></o:p>

Creatingoptimum health as a writer is a real balancing act. Always be on guard so youdon't get out of balance. Feed yourbody, mind and spirit. Take care of yourbody, and it will feed your mind. Nourish your spirit, and it will reward you with a creative mind and ahealthy body. Honor your urge to create,and your spirit will soar.<o:p></o:p>

Don'tforget to reward yourself for a job well done, and eat chocolate (inmoderation).<o:p></o:p>

This concludes the lessons for "The Writer's Mind-Body Connection." I hope you've enjoyed it and found it interesting and helpful.

If your writer's group is looking for a reasonably-priced all-day speaker who can cover a whole range of craft topics, I hope you'll keep me in mind. You can always contact me at karalennox [at] yahoo.com, and my website is www.karalennox.com, where you can find more information on the workshops I can teach, and where I'm already scheduled to present.

Thanks for having me!