I tried this one out and it is great!

Combine

3/4 cup fresh sourdough starter
1/4 cup warm water
Two eggs
3/4 cup sugar (granulated or brown)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick butter or margarine, melted and slightly cooled

Stir in gradually 2 to 3 cups flour, or enough to form a slightly stiff dough. Knead until smooth.

Let stand, covered, until double.

Roll out into a large rectangle, about 18" by 15". Melt 2 to 4 tablespoons butter, spread over the dough. Combine 1/2 to 1 cup brown sugar, 1 table-spoon ground cinnamon (1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander or other spice). Sprinkle evenly over the dough. (Sprinkle 3/4 cup chopped nuts and/or raisins over the dough). Roll up tightly, starting at a long side. Seal the edge. Slice evenly into twelve slices.

Place, cut side down, in a large greased baking pan. Let rise.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes at 400. Cool on a rack. Drizzle with icing made from 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla (or lemon juice), 1 tablespoon milk, enough additional confectioner's sugar to make the right consistency.

Jennifer
September 24th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Those sound soooo good! I have never actually made my own..always bought the premade ones and baked them. Did you have any trouble with them burning? The last "already made" cinnamon rolls I made burned.

Karenne
September 24th, 2007, 10:18 PM
hmm...did you make those on a DARK pan? You shouldn't cook them on a dark pan or dark cookie sheet. Silly..but true.

And no..didn't burn. You might also check your oven. Maybe move the degrees down. My last oven (20 years old) was off on the temperature versus what it said on the dial.

That might be it. Bunny

Jennifer
September 24th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Yep... I baked them on a dark one! I never knew that the pan color made a difference. I'll have to change that this next time.

Karenne
September 25th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Well let me know!HugMe

Linda L Lattimer
September 25th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Karenne, do you think it would be okay to substitute splenda for the sugar, or will it not turn out right? :)

Karenne
September 25th, 2007, 11:35 PM
You know...splenda and baking sometimes (not all) do not mix well.

You can't use splenda on a sourdough recipe though. But I am sure there are other recipes out there for those substitutes.

Linda L Lattimer
October 6th, 2007, 03:06 PM
okay thanks Karenne, I know splenda doesn't do well with some recipes, I did try it with some tea the other day for the first time, it wasn't too bad...just have to get use to not having stuff with sugar I guess, oh well,

Linda

Jennifer
October 9th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Linda, does Splenda have an aftertaste to you? I have tried Equal and nothing after that because of the weird aftertaste.