PDA

View Full Version : Linda Rettstatt

ellen
May 14th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Award winner Linda Rettstatt, will talk about her books Next Time I'm Gonna Dance, Shooting Into The Sun, Reinventing Christmas, Wake Up Call and Love Sam.

linda_rettstatt
May 18th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Award winner Linda Rettstatt, will talk about her books Next Time I'm Gonna Dance, Shooting Into The Sun, Reinventing Christmas, Wake Up Call and Love Sam.

Hi, everyone. Linda Rettstatt checking in here. I'll be here throughout the day to share excerpts and answer questions. I grew up in Southwestern Pennsylvania, but I now live in Northwest Mississippi--quite a culture shock for both myself and Mississippi :biggrin: I write women's fiction and contemporary romance and have five books published with Champagne Books (and two more on the way next year).

Linda Rettstatt
http://www.lindarettstatt.com

linda_rettstatt
May 18th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Let me start by sharing a brief excerpt from my 2012 EPIC eBook Award Winner, Love, Sam.

Blurb: Trish Garrity has learned to be a survivor. She has survived the loss of her father and the rejection of her mother. And then she found Sam, who loved her unconditionally. Now she faces losing Sam and living an uncertain future alone. But Sam finds a way to bridge the chasm of death and continue to give Trish the encouragement, love and support she needs to go on with life

After Sam<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>The wind whipped across <st1:place w:st="on">Lake Erie</st1:place>, snapping at the fabric of Trish’s jacket and tossing her dark brown hair across her face. She sat on a bench, huddled inside the fleece pull-over and watched Molly play tag with the waves. White caps rose in the gray-green water and dissolved into froth on the sand. Only Trish’s face felt the bite of the cold. The rest of her was numb. What was her status now, she wondered? She and Sam hadn’t been married, so she wasn’t a widow. She was just other-less.
<o:p> </o:p>
Molly chased seagulls swooping nearby, and then came over and pushed her muzzle into Trish’s hand.
“What? You ready to go?” Trish asked, ruffling Molly’s ears. “I know. It’s freezing out here.” She took in a deep breath, feeling the frigid air burn her nose and throat, relishing the feeling. “Come on, Molly. Let’s go home.” Trish rose stiffly from the bench. She didn’t want to go home. She didn’t know where she wanted to go—preferably somewhere that wouldn’t remind her of Sam.
Trish hated being in the house now—the house she and Sam had purchased for next to nothing and turned into a home. When they’d bought the house, Trish had been skeptical, given its condition. She recalled how Sam had grinned, nudged her with an elbow and asked, “What’s the worst that could happen?”
Now, she knew. Sam was gone, and she was left behind with the house, the dog and cat, the business and the memories. She’d walked around the house yesterday, listening to the quiet, taking in the things that held Sam’s spirit—their picture from Hawaii, the jigsaw puzzle they’d painstakingly put together and had framed, Sam’s basketball trophy.
She would have to change the voice message on the answering machine, but wasn’t ready to erase Sam completely. They’d put the message to music, Sam accompanying them on guitar, both of them laughing as they sang into the digital machine. Trish wished the machine had a tape she could remove and keep so she could hold onto Sam’s voice and their laughter a little longer.
Maybe I’ll just keep the whole damned thing and get a new machine, she’d thought.
Trish opened the door of the Jeep and Molly jumped inside, leaving damp, sandy paw prints on the seat. Sam would have taken the time to wipe her paws first. Trish pulled herself up and slid into the driver’s seat. She slipped the key into the ignition then rested her head on the steering wheel as tears streaked her face. She began to sob, and Molly nuzzled her ear.
When she was cried out, at least for the time being, she blew her nose and started the jeep. It was late November and the days were getting shorter. Thanksgiving had come and gone without notice. Trish always dreaded this time of year. She was a sunshine-and-warm-weather girl. She’d joked with Sam that they would retire to <st1:State w:st="on">Florida</st1:State> or <st1:State w:st="on">Arizona</st1:State>, perhaps to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Hawaii</st1:State></st1:place>, anywhere warm and sunny. “Damn you, Sam,” she muttered, working the gearshift into reverse.

Available now at Champagne Books (http://champagnebooks.com/shop/index.php?route=product/manufacturer&manufacturer_id=86)

Linda Rettstatt
http://www.lindarettstatt.com

CapeFearLibn
May 18th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Thank for the great excerpt, Linda. Trish sounds like a strong woman, a survivor.

linda_rettstatt
May 18th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Thank for the great excerpt, Linda. Trish sounds like a strong woman, a survivor.

She is strong, but doesn't know it until life challenges her. She has always leaned on Sam for strength. Sam's letters put Trish in situations in which she discovers her own inner strength.

linda_rettstatt
May 18th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Who doesn't love a cowboy? Let me introduce you to Griff Calhoun. Griff is a Texas rancher looking for a consultant to help him open a summer camp for children of divorce on his ranch. Candace Hudson is a Philadelphia social worker just coming out of a bad breakup with a jerk. She had dreams of a husband and babies, but is now rethinking the husband part of the equation. When the two meet at a conference in New York, Griff is sure he's found the consultant he needs and convinces Candace to help him. What both Griff and Candace get is a Wake-Up Call.

Excerpt:

He placed a finger under her chin and tilted her face to his. His mouth, soft and warm, covered hers. She closed her eyes, giving in to the sensations. A current snaked down her spine and her body thrummed as she yielded to his probing tongue. His fingers brushed the nape of her neck, and a shiver rolled through her. She wrapped her arms around his neck, her fingers
tangling in his thick hair.
When they parted, Griff cupped her face in his hands and smiled. “You’re sweet and so damn sexy. It’s a good thing there are children in the house.”
“And it’s probably a good thing I’m leaving tomorrow.” She inhaled deeply to try to regulate her breathing.
He chuckled. “I could send the kids over to Reba’s.”
Candace pulled back. “It’s not a good idea…you and me. Besides, I think Reba’s otherwise engaged.”
He leaned in to kiss her again, but she pressed one finger to his lips.
He gazed into her eyes. “How come we seem to meet the wrong person at the right time, then meet the right person at the wrong time?”
“I know what you mean. Randall was all wrong for me, but the timing was right to….”
“To…what?”
She shrugged, choosing her words carefully. “To settle down. It made him look more appealing at the time.”
“That’s some pair of rose-colored glasses you’re wearing.”
“Yeah. They get me into trouble.”
He removed her glasses from her face. “There. Now, what do you see?”
She studied his face, his gray eyes like storm clouds, locked on hers. “I see a man with a heart as big as his home state. A decent, gentle man.”
This time she covered his lips with hers.
“Daddy, can me and Harley…?”
Candace startled and pulled back. Griff whipped his head around toward the doorway. “Hey, Kayla. Candace and I are…working. What do you need?”
Kayla assessed the two of them. “Nothin’. Never mind.” She whirled around and ran back up the stairs.

Available now in ebook from Champagne Books (http://champagnebooks.com/shop/index.php?route=product/manufacturer&manufacturer_id=86) and Amazon.com
(http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Linda+Rettstatt)
Linda Rettstatt
www.lindarettstatt.com (http://www.lindarettstatt.com)