PDA

View Full Version : Joyce Proell

ellen
May 14th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Join Joyce HERE as she discusses her upcoming release, ELIZA.

joycep
May 14th, 2012, 04:49 PM
See you Friday.

joycep
May 18th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Hello and thanks for stopping by. I’m pleased to be here and to share a little about my book entitled, Eliza. The release date is scheduled for October, 2012. If you like stories about strong, compassionate women who struggle against incredible odds, then Eliza is the book for you. Check this out.
<O:p</O:p
The best reason to leave home forever is a husband who wants you dead.

Posing as a widow, Eliza Danton flees an abusive marriage determined to bury the past and live a solitary life on the Minnesota frontier. When she finds herself homeless, her livelihood threatened and her safety compromised, she relies on her only resource, a man who stirs a forbidden longing and rocks the very foundation of her well-laid plans. As her world shrinks with lies and deception, the only way out is the truth, but the truth may strike a deadly price.

Haunted by a tragic past, Will Heaton hides his scarred heart and vows never to love again. But a chance encounter with a mysterious widow awakens painful memories and a yearning he can’t ignore. When she’s harassed by the same man he believes killed his wife, he grabs at a chance to resolve past mistakes and possibly find love and redemption in the process.

As Eliza and Will struggle to trust again, the past returns with a renewed vengeance, testing them in ways they never thought possible.

As you can see, Eliza has her hands full. I’m nearly breathless just thinking about her whirlwind life.
And Will? Well, he can make most women breathless.
<O:p

~ EXCERPT ~

<O:p<O:p</O:p
“You ought to consider marrying that German fellow. Karl—”

Eliza shot up out of the chair faster than a startled pheasant. The chair banged on the floor, and she glared at him murderously.

Will drew back in alarm. He shouldn’t have mentioned marriage again. After all, it wasn’t any of his business. But running a newspaper was a daunting job. And given her circumstances – widowhood, no family support and thin on financial resources, it seemed too risky.

“I will not marry Karl just to have his protection,” she spat. “It’s like admitting a woman is too simple, or frail to make it on her own. For once—” Her shoulders heaved up and down. “I intend to do something for myself.”

He let a second pass, affecting a casual pose with his arm resting on the lacy tablecloth, planning how to defuse her anger. He lifted his hand, splayed fingers pointing up at the ceiling. “Now, hold on.”
Apparently, she was too riled to ‘hold on’ to let him finish. Her hands clenched at her sides. She glowered at him for a few more seconds before huffing out a breath.

“Why, it’s perfect! If you weren’t so ...so pig-headed you’d see.”

His muscles tensed and the rush of blood to his neck felt hot. “I’d be mighty careful what I say.”
Her whole body quivered. “I’ve had five years of being careful.” She took a menacing step closer to the table. “I’ve hidden my work, downplayed my achievements and stuffed my opinions,” she hissed on an escalating note. Inhaling deeply, she leaned forward and jammed her fists on the tabletop, her arms trembling. “I’ll never do it again.” Her eyes blazed. “So don’t tell me what to do.”

This is what he got from trying to help her? A muscle twitched in his left cheek. Anger radiated from every muscle, but he held himself in check. The woman had stepped over the edge, past the point of return. Clearly, the beast was out of its cage.

“I’ll say whatever I please,” she stated, her voice escalating. “This is a free country.” Unshed tears glistened and a red splotch stained each pale cheek. With an arm flung through the air, she tossed aside his well intentioned suggestion. “Everybody has a right to work, to exercise their talents and not be shamed for doing so.” Her lower lip trembled. “If you weren’t so narrow-minded, you’d see the sense of it.”

All at once, she gasped as though she realized something important. Abject horror flooded her face an instant before her mouth crumbled. She snatched her cloth reticule from the table and with great aplomb, whirled around, and dashed from the dining room.

He jumped up and rushed after her, wanting to explain but reconsidered trying to stop her. At the parlor window, he pushed aside the lace curtain. With a mixture of utter surprise, simmering anger and confusion, he watched her skirts flap as she tore down his walkway. At the gate, she yanked it open with such force he thought it might fly off its hinges. She dashed ahead and it slammed noisily behind her. His heart tugged a little as she swiped tears from her cheeks before she ran down the street.

<O:pABOUT ME…

I grew up in Minnesota and spent college and grad school in Chicago. The Windy City is great if only because it was there I met my husband. After years of living in Nevada and Wisconsin, we moved back to Minnesota, and settled not far from where Eliza’s story takes place.
A good portion of my day is spent writing and dreaming of interesting characters and plot twists. I love complicated and compelling characters. In the evenings I read and read, and when I get tired, I read some more. Give me a great story anytime.
Who are some of the great characters who made you smile or cry? I’d love to hear about them.
If you want more information or want to know about some of my other writing projects, just ask or go to my website: www.joyceproell.com (http://www.joyceproell.com).
<O:p

CapeFearLibn
May 18th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I like the blurb and the excerpt. Thanks for sharing. Eliza is an unusual name. It makes me think of Eliza Dolittle. Why did you choose that name?

joycep
May 18th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks for reading and sharing. For some unknown reason, I've always been attracted to the sound and look of a name. Eliza seems so pure and fresh, and as a stand alone title, it resonates strength and beauty, too. Also, Eliza is a derivative of Elizabeth, which was a popular choice in that time period. In the story, her full name is Elizabeth, but her family called her Eliza.