PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!

Michelle Kopra
September 12th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Howdy!

I've had a glass of pino grigio and am watchin Dr. Who!

Which is the best way to deal with my little beasties when they are running around like little daleks.

So. Who is ready to talk steampunk? I had Elves, airships, spies, and the old Vick!

Allison Merritt has also agreed to join me despite her better judgement! She has a most awesome book series called Legends and Lovers.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are most encouraged. However I will keep on with it for the next two hours, no matter what!

Michelle :)

Allison Merritt
September 12th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I'm here! I'm here! I made it and I promise to be on my best(ish) behavior!

Michelle Kopra
September 12th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Hey there!

I was worried I would loose you to the sight of those loveley books, side by side!

Allison Merritt
September 12th, 2012, 08:10 PM
It's hard to stop staring at them! I just want to plaster the pictures all over the interwebs, that's for sure!

Michelle Kopra
September 12th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Perhaps you could post an image of the beauties side by side, as well as excerpts?

Allison Merritt
September 12th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I can totally try!

Allison Merritt
September 12th, 2012, 08:19 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/207830_467772476590315_1298716552_n.jpg

Blurb for The Treasure Hunter's Lady:

On the outside, Romy Farrington has the perfect life—a world-famous archaeologist father, a pretty dowry and an upcoming marriage to a wealthy businessman. But to Romy, her new life among the elitists is like a punishment.

For years, she traveled the world at her father's side, exploring new lands and uncovering ancient secrets. It was everything she ever wanted, until a near-fatal encounter with hostile natives forced her and her father into a life of retirement in Boston and an undesired advance into proper society.

For years, she traveled the world at her father's side, exploring new lands and uncovering ancient secrets. It was everything she ever wanted, until a near-fatal encounter with hostile natives forced her and her father into a life of retirement in Boston and an undesired advance into proper society.

Everything changes again when she's saved from an accident by a brash Texan in a back alley. Abel Courte may act like a care-free cowboy, but he's harboring a secret—he's searching for the Diamond of Uktena, a legendary jewel that can cure any disease known to man. He needs information Romy's father has in order to get to the jewel. When he traces the origin of the Diamond to Dakota Territory, he sets off to claim the treasure, only to find the archaeologist's fiery redheaded daughter stuck to him like a bug in sap.

In a race against time, Romy and Abel must learn to trust each other as they undertake a cross-country journey that will expose them to lands uncharted by white men, a deadly battle against the fearsome creature in possession of the Diamond and a fight to return to civilization where they might make the greatest discovery of all—love.

Blurb for The Sky Pirate's Wife:
After a tragic airship wreck, Captain Alwin van Buren makes a drastic decision to obtain a wealthy bride in order to save his flagging business. He meets his match in Sophie Banes, heiress to an airship empire. After he seduces her and ensures their marriage—igniting a rivalry with her godfather—he learns the green-eyed beauty is as headstrong as he is.

Sophie knows Van Buren's reputation based on a series of dime novels written about his adventures. Determined to be more than an end to a means, she despises him for luring her into marriage. In fiction, he's a no-nonsense captain on the verge of piracy, but the flesh-and-blood man wins her heart by proving she's worth more to him than her money.

Their love is threatened when Sophie learns Van Buren's airship accident was a result of mythical creatures. Winged predators that appear to have a grudge against him, a fact he deliberately hid by accusing her godfather of sabotage. If she can forgive him for that, they still have to face the danger when they're cornered and at the mercy of beasts and the evil that controls them. The real test comes when Van Buren is asked to make a sacrifice that could destroy them both.

Michelle Kopra
September 12th, 2012, 08:24 PM
In the meantime I will say a bit about myself. I am an expat Canadian who decided to apply for citizenship on 9-12-2011.

Lucky for me, the U.S. had already approved me by that time. So by 2004 I was sworn in by the Daughters of the Confederacy. Not as creepy as it sounds!

I live in Texas, however, I am a hard core anglophiliac. The only telly I watch is british, I love PG tips and Yorksire tea. So the question I ask myself is: does my internal voice sound Canadian, American, British from watching too much TV, or so much british TV that I doesn't notice it's a British accent anymore. So far the only response I have been given is...

"Y'all got one of those funny accents."

Michelle Kopra
September 12th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Woot Ally!

What I love about Abel, despite the fact he is a total hunk, is that he hails from San Antonio. A town I was living in when I read the book :)

Allison Merritt
September 12th, 2012, 08:29 PM
I, for one, am glad we have you in America, although I'd enjoy you just as much in Canada. Or anywhere. You out-funnied me on the accent. I spent the first five years of my childhood in Oklahoma. I do a mean Blake Shelton imitation though.

Allison Merritt
September 12th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks, Michelle! My heroes have always been cowboys. I was a die-hard Louis L'Amour fan growing up. Made sense to have a cowboy hero.

Michelle Kopra
September 12th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Aw thanks :)

Okla is a nice state, my favorite part being the area around the Arbuckle drive through zoo. I spent plenty of time there when my Kenny was two. Hubby worked in OK City and I was pregnant and couldn't stand the sight of BBQ food.

Enough about that!

What made you write the legends and Lover series?

Allison Merritt
September 12th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Well, I took a long break from writing and when I started up again, I was all about historical romances, but I wrote the biggest part of two and just wasn't feeling them. One night my husband and I rented The League of Extraordinary Gentleman and I said, "I could write a book like that." He's all "With Sean Connery?" And I said, "No, not that that's a bad idea, but with all the gadgetry and airships and stuff like that!" It was a while before I started The Treasure Hunter's Lady and I never really planned on a series, but the hero of The Sky Pirate's Wife wouldn't shut up about getting his own book. Then there was a minor character from that one that wanted a book too. So it goes.

Michelle Kopra
September 12th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Yup, I know how thats goes.

Some writers have muses, I have characters that threatened to lock me in a closet till I finish their story, Sheesh!

Allison Merritt
September 12th, 2012, 08:50 PM
So how did you come up with the idea for Hexes in Texas? (Which is one funny, sexy read, y'all)

Michelle Kopra
September 12th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Speaking of which...

here is an exerpt of Major Mischief. Ellie came to me when I was working on an paranormal about two years ago. She seemed like fun, and Major Grey was kinda hot for an elf. How was I to know they would take me down a path of Elven consortiums, Airships, and victorian trolls?

Ellie Hawke has fled her mother's attempts to marry her off for more than ten
years. Yet on the eve of her sister's wedding, she meets Major Grey
Caudle.

Unable to resist the sexy agent sent by the Elvin Consortium. She
joins him in his mission to rescue her uncle, who has invented a
inter-dimensional portal machine.

With help of some friends and some
nifty gadgets, Major Grey and Ellie search for the parts of the portal machine,
and to find Uncle Rene before the evil Professor does.

During their
adventure Major Grey tries to convince Ellie, that she can be both independant
woman, and his passionate lover!

Allison Merritt
September 12th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Genre blending is one of my favorite things to do! I love historical romance, but it's so much fun to twist worlds.

Michelle Kopra
September 12th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Funny thing about Hexes, I was gonna call it "Bug Tussle Two Step" when Hexes smacked me in the forehead.

I saw an anthology call for Canadian stories from Ellora Cave a while back. I had a few ideas that came together, of writing my family into a story about witches, with my aunt Julie as the main character.

Thankfully, she likes the story, and my mum hasn't read the book, or hasn't figred out she is the leopard obessed witch :)

Michelle Kopra
September 12th, 2012, 09:00 PM
So what is next in the Legends and Lovers series? I am dying to know about Basil!

Allison Merritt
September 12th, 2012, 09:02 PM
LOL, I noticed you like to incorporate people and animals you know! I saw your dog Tiggy mentioned in there too. I briefly considered putting my PeeWee in as a magical animal. I haven't gotten there yet.

Allison Merritt
September 12th, 2012, 09:05 PM
The Turncoat's Temptress is the next book in the series, scheduled for a Spring '13 release (provided the world doesn't end and all that). Basil Tinwhistle is the hero and he was man who told the characters in The Sky Pirate's Wife about the legendary thunderbirds that were terrorizing Oklahoma. He's a paranormal investigator for a group called the Guardians--a society of men who dedicate their lives to preventing the fae, monsters, and other mythical creatures from destroying mankind. In TcT, he's pairing up with an old flame to stop the rebirth of the Piasa monster near St. Louis.

Michelle Kopra
September 12th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Oh sweet!

I will let you explain the piasa monster. Although as you know, I love mythology. Took way too many classes in college...

Could you also tell us what makes your books steampunk, as well as historical romance?

Allison Merritt
September 12th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Piasa is a very cool critter and it tied in nicely with the burial mounds in Cahokia, Il. Legends and Lovers focuses on American Indian lore. They believed that Piasa was a giant bird-like creature who gained a taste for human flesh after a long, terrible war between tribes. It lived in a cave above the Mississippi River and would swoop down and kill warriors.

The chief decided they had to kill it, so all the warriors got together and surrounded the cave while they hid in the bushes. The chief offered himself as bait. When Piasa emerged, they shot it with arrows and it fell down the cliff and died. I decided that they buried it at Cahokia because archeologists have found carvings with birds and serpents (which fits very nicely with the legends of Uktena from The Treasure Hunter's Lady).

Allison Merritt
September 12th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Oh, answer the second part of the question, Allison! Sheesh!

The year setting for the series in the late 1800's. The Treasure Hunter's Lady takes place in 1884, The Sky Pirate's Wife in 1886, The Turncoat's Temptress in 1887. The series leans heavily on airships for steampunk support. There are airships in every novel (so far) and a bunch of cool laser guns. Someday I need to do a blog on the different types of guns I've invented so far. The characters also use wireless telegram machines to send messages.

Michelle Kopra
September 12th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Wow!

I guess most people would be raising an eyebrow as my enthusiamism. But I started reading about King Arthur when I was 12.

The first time I found myself excited at american mythology was going through Kansas city in 1997. There were mounds there that were seriously freakin neat. Then hubby an I moved Arizona, and I fell in love with native american myth like the Thunderbird.

I had already been writing short contemporary romance stories since I was 14. But tat drive through Kansas started me down the path to romance, and myth, and fantasy.

While we are on the subject. I remember reading an early version of Treasure Hunter's Lady based in Australia. What made you changed it?

Allison Merritt
September 12th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I haven't visited the mounds, but I'm definitely trying to talk my husband into it.

Yep, THL was set in Australia, as was the first draft of The Sky Pirate's Wife. But I kept getting rejects from agents because they said they couldn't sell Australia in America. It was a pain in the hind end to change all that over and I had to find a new myth to base my evil serpent on, but you know, in the end it's really worked out for me.

So, tell us about your steampunk series, Shimmy and Steam! I love those books!

Michelle Kopra
September 12th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Lol.

Well that answers my question on steampunk.

The first time I was introduced to steampunk was 3 years ago at fencon. Which BTW is the weekend of sept 22, same weekend as my girlie's Bday party.

At first I was like, steampunk? way too silly! Then I fell in love with the clothes, the jewelry, then the fiction. Now I'm hunting Target for mini bowler hats...as well as purple withy hats. Not too mention one top hat that reminded me of Abel.

Oh dear...I'm a hat junkie, but seriously, please don't make me post the pics. The wee beasties lost my phone and I have no clue where it is...

Allison Merritt
September 12th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I love hats too! I have nowhere to wear them, but you're right, it's the clothes and the glamour of steampunk that really drew me to it. Plus all the exciting ways characters can express themselves in it.

Michelle Kopra
September 12th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Oh dear, my Shimmy series. Which can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/For-Queen-And-Country-ebook/dp/B005TVPAB4/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_t_4

This book series idea really came from Issac Asimov. Okay, so I love the foundation series, the I robot series.

Lets make is clear here and now. Not only am I a geek, married to a geek, I am also a nerd girl. I grew up loving video games, science fiction, and fantasy.

I read Issac's biopgraphy about penny dreadfuls, and I wanted to create my own series of steampunk dreadfuls. This was my Shimmy series. The original books were supposed to be book 1 through 5. But too be honest, I have at least 3 more novella's buzzing about in my head.

Allison Merritt
September 12th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I can't wait to read them! Your characters and plots are so well crafted!

Well, the library is threatening to turn off the power source and kick me out of here, so I have to say good night, but! If anyone lurking wants to they can e-mail me until noon on 9/14 and I will send them their very own copy of The Treasure Hunter's Lady in .mobi, .pdf, or .epub format. Just e-mail me at allisonmwrites@gmail.com

And look for The Sky Pirate's Wife on 9/17 on Kindle and Nook!

Michelle Kopra
September 12th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Oh thanks Ally!

"blush"

You know writing from home, I don't get so many compliments. So it does warm the cockles of me heart...and inflate my ego just a wee bit!

Mostly the kids watch Disney, and ask for their DS, and the hubby wants his socks ironed, Lol!

Thanks for stopping by and staying at the library to chat with us!

Michelle Kopra
September 12th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Well that's it for me!

The kids are playing Tchaikovsky on the piano to get my attention, it's time for them to go to bed. No they aren't that gifted....it's reprogrogrammed...LOL!

Thanks for joining us, please visit me on www.michelle kopra.com to send me a message. I alos lurk here and on facebook at:http://www.facebook.com/#!/michelle.kopra

Allison Merritt can be found at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/authorallisonmerritt

May your dreams be filled with fairies, nymphs, toad stools, and steampunkery!

Michelle