PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and Welcome :-)

Rayne Hall
September 29th, 2012, 04:13 AM
Hi all,

I'm ready to go. Are you?

This is a hands-on, interactive workshop. I'm going to show you a technique for adding suspense to your writing. Then you go and apply it to one of your scenes. If you send in your assignment, I'll critique the paragraph and offer suggestions how to make it even better.

This class is based on an excerpt from my book "Writing Scary Scenes" and on a lesson from my month-long class of the same name which starts on 1 October, so you get a taste of Rayne Hall's teaching and can see if you like the flavour. :-)

I'm using BritishEnglish. To the Americans among you, some of my words and spellingsmay look odd, but I'm sure we'll be able to communicate.

To get started, what would really help me is knowing what genres (and subgenres) you write, and what level writer (beginner, intermediate, advanced, professional) you consider yourself. You don't need to tell me if you don't want to; this is just to give me an idea what kind of folk I have in my today. (I write mild horror and epic fantasy and I consider myself a professional.) ;-)

Rayne

Fatherdragon1
September 29th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Hello Rayne,
I have written epic fantasy and now I'm writing paranormal/urban fantasy. I consider myself a beginner but an eager and fast learner. And I must say I'm really glad to have this chance of learning from you.
Dragon
:red_dragon:

Rayne Hall
September 29th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Hi Dragon,
Oh, good, someone is replying! :-)
It's good to have you here. You're not a raw beginner though, are you? I think you've done quite a bit of writing already (though of course there's still much to learn)
Rayne

Bethanne
September 29th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Hi Rayne,
Thanks for being here.
I write a lot of romantic suspense, some with a lighter feel to it. I've started writing a bit of contemporary romance, too.
I've been writing for ten years, can always learn something new, and consider myself a professional. :)

EmmlyJane
September 29th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Good morning Rayne (or afternoon for you by now)

I'm very much a beginner but learning as fast as I can. My subgenre of choice is historical romance. However, I like a little suspense in my stories as well. Nothing too creepy that'll keep me up at night but enough to make me wonder.

I look forward to learning from you in this mini-workshop.

Thanks,
Emmly

CindyKGreen
September 29th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Hi Rayne,
Thanks so much for doing this seminar. I know I'm looking forward to learning how to be better at my craft. I've written in just about every genre except horror but my favorite is suspense. All my stories are light and fun. I've been published for 5 years now and would consider myself a professional.

Patricia Bates
September 29th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Hi Rayne,

I tend to write in multiple genres...historical romance, contemp, paranormal romance. I'm a multi-pubbed author but I dont' feel I'm an expert. One has to continually learn and grow within the craft or your writing can get stagnant and predictable.

Terry Wylis
September 29th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Hi Rayne - this looks interesting!

I write in both mainstream and gay romance genres - mainstream as T. L. Lawrence and gay romance as Terry Wylis. Romance, romantic suspense, suspense/thriller in both parent genres.

I have one solo published work - a mainstream romantic suspense - two mainstream romances (one an inspirational) with a co-author, and seven published works with the same co-author in the gay romance genre, including a Sherlock Holmes pastiche.

I consider myself a professional.

And I'm here basically for a refresher and a jump-start. I've been in a hideous slump for nearly a year now, between kids and home and just the other day-to-day stresses that can gum up the works. So I figure, what better way than to have to THINK about writing exclusively for a bit.

My assignment's posted in the appropriate thread. Thanks!

Rayne Hall
September 29th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Hi Bethanne,

Professional authors who seek to learn more are my favourite kind of people to work with.

I think that the more highly skilled we become at the writing craft, the better we understand the potential for further improvement.

I still remember years ago when I was a beginner, thinking my writing was so good that I couldn't improve it further. I actually turned down a professional author's offer of mentorship, because I thought with my wonderful talent I didn't need to learn anything. What an obnoxious arrogant git I must have been! :-D

Rayne

Rayne Hall
September 29th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Hi Emmly,

Yes, it's afternoon here in England. I'm probably ahead of most of you. :-)

Suspense works well in almost all (probably all) forms of fiction, whether they involve scary bits or not. The more suspense you can create, the better, especially if you can use a variety of techniques to achieve this.

The technique I've chosen for this workshop is superbly suited to historical fiction, so I look forward to reading what you come up with.

Rayne

bonelover13
September 29th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Hello Rayne!!

I am a beginner, writing my first book in urban fantasy. I have romantic elements in the story and a ton of cus words (kinda like my life!!! Thank you for doing this for us and I look forward to learning all that I can from you to help my story along!

Sahara Roberts
September 29th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Hi Rayne,

I write Erotic Romantic Suspense and Contemporary Romance. I'd put myself somewhere around intermediate.

Sorry for the delay, I've been lurking for the past hour due to internet issues.

Marika
September 29th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Hi! I write under the pen name Harlie Williams. Newly contracted author for Muse It Up Publishing.

I have started a romantic suspense story that needs help. RS is my favorite genre to read but need help with keeping the suspense elements running through. I look forward sending in my assignments. :)

CherylYeko
September 29th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Hi, I'm Cheryl Yeko, and I guess I'm a professional...:whistilin: I write romantic suspense, but I'm also working on a paranormal manuscript, that I hope to develop into a series.

My debut novel, Protecting Rose, won the 2012 Gayle Wilson Award and my 2nd novel, A Man to Trust, is due out in October.

My 3rd novel (yet untitled, though I'm leaning toward, Abducting Casey, is almost complete. I'm working on the ending scene and want it to be more kick-butt and grittier than my prior novel endings, which were sweeter. So, I'm here to learn!

Thank you for this class, I'm looking forward to it.

-Cheryl

Emily Heisler
September 29th, 2012, 12:14 PM
My name is Emily. I would say I am a beginner-intermediate. I have participated in a few writing venues but I seem to get stuck and have not figured out how to get past that hurdle. I tend to want to write suspense, contemporary, humor and/or erotica.

Look forward to the class.
Emily

Bethanne
September 29th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I actually turned down a professional author's offer of mentorship, because I thought with my wonderful talent I didn't need to learn anything. Rayne

Ha. I too thought I was wonderful in the early days...

Charlayne
September 29th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I'm in Houston Texas (just to give you a reference point). I don't really know what level to call myself, I've been a professional technical writer and have also been published in several magazines.

I now write book reviews for two different sites so I read a lot of things. I'm a historian by training. But this is my first paranormal novel so I'm somewhere between beginner and intermediate, I guess.

I want to pick up more insight into what goes into novel writing (I'm of the opinion you can always learn more) and so when I saw this seminar, I signed up for it. Thanks for taking your time to help us.

Charlayne

podixon
September 29th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Hi Rayne,

I'm P O Dixon. I write regency era romance stories. I consider myself an intermediate. Romance suspense is a new genre for me. Having read the first lesson, I'm very excited about the possibility of branching out. Thanks for offering this class!

kalujinn
September 29th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Hi Rayne,

I am an intermediate writer in with two gay erotica novellas published with Cobblestone Press. I am eager to learn!

kalu
aka Amanda Grayson

BrannanBlack
September 29th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Hi Rayne,
I'm jumping in a bit late but, well, I'm not much of a morning person. Anyway, I write paranormal, epic fantasy and futuristic romance. I've been published for wow, three years! I'm still working on honing my craft, improving my writing. I think that's a life long pursuit, to always do better.
Thanks for giving us this opportunity. Looking forward to it. I'll be posting my assignment shortly.
Brannan

GiannaBruno
September 29th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Hello, Rayne,

As you know, I writer paranormal erotic romance as well as dark urban fantasy. I've enjoyed your classes and am looking forward to picking up some tips on making my scenes more chilling.

glory123
September 29th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Hi Rayne, I write short stories across genre, but I'm interested in suspense. I have published many short stories on-line, including a mystery/thriller. I look forward to working with everyone on this short course. Thanks for the opportunity - Gloria

HywelaLyn
September 29th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Hi Rayne

Another Brit here! I have two romantic futuristic and one fantasy/historical novella (a mixture of Greek myths and welsh folklore) published as well as several short stories. Although I'm published I don't consider myself a professional and am always eager to learn. I'm working on the third in my SF/futuristic trilogy. think suspense is a key element in both science fiction and fantasy and I'm keen to learn as much as I can about adding suspense to my work.

TarynElliott
September 29th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Hello Rayne,

I'm Taryn. I'm a Sexy Contemporary Romance author published with Ellora's Cave, Entangled, and Loose-Id.
I'd go with Intermediate/Advanced for my skill level. I still have a lot to learn.

I'm in the middle of an edgy (for me) erotic romance and really would like to add some emotional suspense to the story. I saw this little 2 day class and thought it would be perfect to help me out.

Thanks so much for taking the time to work with us.
=)

MGEdwards
September 29th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Hello Rayne,
I'm Monica and I would say my skill level would be a beginner. My WIP is a thriller with dashes of humor. I'm very excited to learn some techniques on creating suspense in my scenes.

Thanks for the opportunity,
Monica

Noel Sweeney
September 29th, 2012, 01:52 PM
We are Noel Sweeney, a husband and wife writing team who just decided to use Annette's maiden name and Tom's last name to write stories we collaborate on (most of them). We are each published under our own names in mystery anthologies and magazines. Besides mystery, Annette also writes romance, and Tom also writes SF/F. I would put us between Intermediate and Advanced. We have sold to big publisher anthologies, Ellery Queen, Analog, Woman's World, etc., but those are rare occurrances and rejections predominate. We have shown we CAN do it, we just want to do it more consistently.

Simple devices such as passing through a door are EXACTLY what we are looking for.

Noel

Rayne Hall
September 29th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Hi Cindy,
I think the assignment will suit a light and fun story.
By the way, I'm curious: what is it about the horror genre that puts you off?
Rayne

Rayne Hall
September 29th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Hi Patricia,
I agree: a writer's output can become stale and predictable if there isn't any fresh input coming in. Learning new tools of the writing craft, experimenting with them and deciding which ones suit our individual voice is a good strategy to keep our writing authentic yet always fresh.
Rayne

TarynElliott
September 29th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Hi! I write under the pen name Harlie Williams.
*waves*
Hi Marika! =) Fancy seeing you here.

Rayne Hall
September 29th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Hi Terry,

It sounds like you need "refreshment" rather than a refresher. ;-)
Let's see if we can keep you inspired and focussed on writing for a bit, and maybe the effects will even last beyond the weekend.

Rayne

Rayne Hall
September 29th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Hi Bonelover13,

Urban Fantasy has a lot of suspense. Indeed, some Urban Fantasy novels have almost as much suspense as a thriller, so you'll be able to apply the technique you learn in this seminar to your novel.

Regarding cusswords: be careful about how many you use. Some may be necessary to reflect the milieu with realism, but if you use a lot, it can make your characters appear unintelligent, and this may not be the effect you want.

Rayne

kazzi4
September 29th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Hi Rayne
I'm from the UK not a published writer but then we all have to start somewhere. Sorry also due to ill health I'm not a morning person. I've recently started writing a paranormal romance and would love to learn how to put more suspense into some of my scenes. I would be very greatful for any help you could give me in achieving my dream of getting my work published. Thank you for this opportunity and time you are providing. Kaz

Rayne Hall
September 29th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Hi Gloria,
Suspense is an effect that works well in any genre. It's a feeling of needing to know what will happen next - perfect for the readers of our books. :-)
Of course, some genres - thrillers, horror, romantic suspense - contain more suspense elements than others, but you can treat your readers to the suspense experience in any genre.
Rayne

Rayne Hall
September 29th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Hi Sahara,
Your name sounds familiar. Have you taken one of my classes before?
Don't worry about the delay. The great thing with online seminars is that everyone can participate whenever it suits their schedule.
Rayne

Rayne Hall
September 29th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Hi Marika,
In this seminar, we'll look at just one technique, but it's a versatile one and you'll probably be able to apply it to several scenes in your romantic suspense story.
Since you enjoy reading romantic suspense, next time you read a romantic suspense novel see if you can spot places where the authors have employed this technique.
Rayne

Rayne Hall
September 29th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Hi Emily,

As a beginner, you're allowed to experiment and try out different genres and techniques. The more genres and techniques you play with, the clearer you will see where you calling as a writer lies, and your individual voice will emerge.

So at this stage, just play, experiment, and have fun. :-)

Rayne

Rayne Hall
September 29th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Hi Monica,
The technique we learn in this seminar will work superbly for a thriller scene, and if you like you can even use it with a dash for humour.
Rayne

Dr Joan
September 29th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Hello Rayne,
I am a beginner to writing fiction. I having been struggling with focusing on writing professionally after accomplishing my dissertation. I think that taking this writing class on fiction will allow me to find the lighter side of writing and perhaps be more of a self starter. thanks Joan

bonelover13
September 29th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Thank you for that little bit of insight. I will review my WiP and make sure that he doesn't have to many, however he is a cop and they can be rather fowl mouthed (I know because I live with one) ;)

Rayne Hall
September 29th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Hi Charlayne,

I know that feeling (kind of) of being at the same time a professional and a novice.

I had been a professional author of non-fiction for many years, and then I switched to writing fiction. It was a weird situation having to learn the basics of the fiction writer's craft while some of my non-fiction books were reprinted in third editions. Weirder still, I had been a fiction editor and thus knew far more about fiction than most aspiring fiction writers do.

At the time, I clung to my "professional writer" image. With hindsight, I think it would have been better had I temporarily let go of that. My breakthrough in fiction finally occurred after I allowed myself to be a beginner, because this attitude enabled me to learn most.

Of course, your situation is different from mine. I'm just sharing this as food for thought. :-)

Rayne

Isabel Mere
September 29th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I write historical, contemporary and romance suspense (or try to!). I consider myself a professional writer.

Polly McCrillis/Isabel Mere

Rayne Hall
September 29th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Hi Monica,
The technique we learn in this seminar will work superbly for a thriller scene, and if you like you can even use it with a dash for humour.
Rayne

Rayne Hall
September 29th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Hi P O Dixon,
You can use this assignment to branch out ... or you can use it for a Regency. Although Regency Romances aren't as high in suspense as most other stories, there are some suspenseful moments. The beginning of the climax scene may be the perfect place to apply this technique.
Rayne

Rayne Hall
September 29th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Hi Kalu,
I'm interested to see this technique applied to gay erotic fiction. I think it will work well, but since I don't read much erotic fiction, I've never seen it (yet).
Rayne

Rayne Hall
September 29th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Hi Brannan,
You can jump in any time. That's the beauty of online seminars: there's no set time when everyone has to be in the classroom. I agree, it's worth honing our craft, so our writing becomes better and better. When I reread what I wrote some years ago, I'm amazed at how much better a writer I have become since then.
Rayne

Rayne Hall
September 29th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Hi Gianna,
The technique we cover in this seminar is perfect for dark urban fantasy. You may already be familiar with it, but maybe a refresher and practice are helpful anyway.
Rayne

kkinlvnv
September 29th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Hi Rayne/classmates,

I'm working on a romantic suspense and I am a beginner.

KK

Rayne Hall
September 29th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Hi HywelaLyn,
A blend of Greek myth and Welsh folklore sounds intriguing. I agree, suspense is a key element in fantasy and science fiction. (Actually, it's a key element in many genres, although the intensity varies.)
In this seminar, we'll cover just one technique for creating suspense, but it's one you can adapt to many fiction scenarios and use over and over in your books.
Rayne

LaciPaige
September 29th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Hello,

I write young adult paranormal romance and to the other side of things, erotic romance.
I consider myself intermediate.

Laci

CindyKGreen
September 29th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Hi Cindy,
I think the assignment will suit a light and fun story.
By the way, I'm curious: what is it about the horror genre that puts you off?
Rayne

Hi Rayne,
I don't know that it is anything in particular. It's just not my 'cup of tea' so to speak. :) I don't read it so I don't write it. Classic Gothic horror--that's about as close as I get to the genre.

kescah
September 29th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Hi Rayne,

I am Debra Brown writing Historical Suspense. I'm probably an early intermediate. :)

Thanks!

Hi all,

This is a hands-on, interactive workshop. I'm going to show you a technique for adding suspense to your writing. Then you go and apply it to one of your scenes. If you send in your assignment, I'll critique the paragraph and offer suggestions how to make it even better.

This class is based on an excerpt from my book "Writing Scary Scenes" and on a lesson from my month-long class of the same name which starts on 1 October, so you get a taste of Rayne Hall's teaching and can see if you like the flavour. :-)

I'm using BritishEnglish. To the Americans among you, some of my words and spellingsmay look odd, but I'm sure we'll be able to communicate.

To get started, what would really help me is knowing what genres (and subgenres) you write, and what level writer (beginner, intermediate, advanced, professional) you consider yourself. You don't need to tell me if you don't want to; this is just to give me an idea what kind of folk I have in my today. (I write mild horror and epic fantasy and I consider myself a professional.) ;-)

Rayne

Rayven Pendragon
September 29th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Hello all,

I am a beginner/novice at writing. It has been quite a few years since even one of my short stories has been published (I didn't believe it would make the finals in a short story contest so i used a fake name) and it was in high school at that. I write all different kinds of stories, from children's to erotica. I hope to be able to learn quite a bit from this class as well as make new friends.

Rayven

dsthorn62
September 29th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Hey all,
My name is Dennis Thornton and I write everything but Romance. I've numerous mystery shorts but have yet to try to send them out. Any help I can get will be good.

ColleenS
September 29th, 2012, 05:41 PM
HI all

I'm Colleen, and I write a wide range of genres. Romance-wise, I have written contemporary romance, erotic romance and erotica. I currently have a number of romance ideas listed to complete, mostly contemporary but a couple of which are romantic suspense. My other work includes chapbooks (speculative), young adult (fantasy, mystery), urban fantasy, dark fantasy and science fiction. I've been writing for a few years but I'm always looking to learn new elements and techniques to improve my craft. Happy to meet you all.

Dawn Chandler
September 29th, 2012, 05:44 PM
My name is Dawn Chandler. I write a wide range of books including Fantasy, SciFi, Westerns and Romance with my muse's favorite drug of choice being Historical Romance. I have been writing since I was in grade school and have stacks of short stories and 40 novels in my computer waiting for me to edit them or finish up the last few, or half a dozen, chapters) but have only recently looked into getting my work published. I am under contract with a traditional publisher from my first full length novel, which should be out early next year. I consider myself a professional author. (Just waiting for the money to start considering me that as well).

sarafitzgerald
September 29th, 2012, 07:03 PM
My name is Sara Fitzgerald. I have been writing forever. I have four sweet romance novels published w champagnebooks.com. each one became a best seller for them. I have one YA darkness within published with them.

And a Christmas story being published my Cedar Fort Saving Savanna

I have been married 20 yrs and have a five year old daughter

Great to be here

CAlinda
September 29th, 2012, 07:05 PM
I write sweet contemporary and historical romance. I am multi-published so I guess that's considered professional, but I am always learning new techniques for improving my writing.

Red Dragon
September 29th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Hello,
I'm Rusty. I love talking about writing and being stimulated by writing exercises and listenening to how other writers tackle the same subject. I've had one YA Historical novel and 2 shorts srories (Sci Fi & MG) published, and another short story was accepted, due out in March next year. Always interested in new or old ideas to enrich my writing to bring it up to the standard I can accept, I'm looking forward to participating in this workshop. Thank you Rayne for putting it on.

layssa
September 29th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Hi Rayne

I'm writing contempory romance, paranormal and regency romance, and a two book political/international crime/thriller novel. I subscribed to this thread mainly to help me with my WIP in the last genre. I started writing at the beginning of this year.

Layssa

JerryR
September 29th, 2012, 11:38 PM
myI've a couple of very short, short stories which are horror published. My 1st book was released Sept 2, last year and my b-day. it's now one of my publishers bestsellerd. It's a multi-genre story and the 1st time I've ever written a story with any type of sex.

I've ben toying with another story. Thi one a hetro stry, but can't make up my mind if it's going to be thriller or suspense.

Jerry Race
now a multi-published best selling author

my site: http://authorjerryrace.webs.com

J.D. Faver
September 30th, 2012, 12:23 AM
I have 2 humorous, sexy romances published and 7 romantic suspense/romantic thrillers on the virtual shelves. One is in paper now and working on the others. I just released my first YA-fantasy and am working on the next in this genre. And I have my 8th romantic thriller ready to release in October.
~J.D. Faver:whistle:

Hi all,

Rayne

J.D. Faver
September 30th, 2012, 12:33 AM
Hi Charlayne! I'm in Houston too, so I'm giving a shout out.
*hugs*
~J.D. Faver

Tambra
September 30th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Hi Rayne,

Sorry, I'm late but I just found out about the class.

I have 10 short romances published, most of them paranormal, and a fantasy romance novella. All of my stories have suspense. I have a strong Celtic mythology theme the majority of my work. When I have time I also teach creative writing.

Thanks so much for teaching the class. I'm looking forward to what you have to share.

Hugs,
Tambra Nicole

HywelaLyn
September 30th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Hi Rayne
I'm from the UK not a published writer but then we all have to start somewhere. Sorry also due to ill health I'm not a morning person. I've recently started writing a paranormal romance and would love to learn how to put more suspense into some of my scenes. I would be very greatful for any help you could give me in achieving my dream of getting my work published. Thank you for this opportunity and time you are providing. Kaz

Hi Kaz - just saw your post. Always nice to meet another Brit - I'm not a morning person either, but that's just my metabolism. Good luck with your writing, I hope you achieve your dream of getting published soon. This is a great class, isn't it! I've learnt a lot already.

Tonks78
September 30th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Hello Rayne,
I am a beginner to writing fiction. I having been struggling with focusing on writing professionally after accomplishing my dissertation. I think that taking this writing class on fiction will allow me to find the lighter side of writing and perhaps be more of a self starter. thanks Joan

I couldn't have put my own description better m'self. I too am still a newbie and at times feel that I'm all over the place with techniques, methods, etc... It's probably a touch of uncertainty along w/Adult ADHD, so....LOL! Thanks for this seminar!

kazzi4
October 9th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Hi
I finally after an hour I managed to sign on to this workshop, but from that I haven't got anywhere:-( As I can't work out how to access anything. I noticed it said about assignments but couldn't find where to go to get the assignment:-( Could somebody please point me in the right direction? I was so looking forward to this workshop.

On top of that my internet keeps playing up:-( pulling hair out here.

Kazzi

HywelaLyn
October 10th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Hi Kazzi

If it's the 'suspense' seminar you were after, I'm afraid you're too late, it was at the end of September. If you go to http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=1870 you'll find the original thread. Can I suggest you look at the assignment in the thread headed 'Assignments - do not reply' and then if you follow the link on the heading 'Assignments' you can see what people posted and the advice they were given. Even though it's too late to actually take part, you can learn a lot from what other people have submitted.

Hope this helps.