PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Fall Chat TODAY!!!

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Good morning, Coffee Time Romancers!

Our Fall chat begins at noon EST. Come to this thread and join in the fun! We'll see you then!:winkiss:

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Good morning, everyone. :)

We're happy to have you with us at The Sweetest Romance Authors. We are dedicated to the sweet reads. We're filled with humor, or inspirational, or romantic suspense - just all written the sweet way. :)

Do the readers have any questions? Jump on in! We'd love to hear from you. :)

Gail Pallotta
October 18th, 2012, 12:06 PM
:orange:
Good morning, everyone. :)

We're happy to have you with us at The Sweetest Romance Authors. We are dedicated to the sweet reads. We're filled with humor, or inspirational, or romantic suspense - just all written the sweet way. :)

Do the readers have any questions? Jump on in! We'd love to hear from you. :)

Good Morning, Miss Mae,
It's great to be chatting! I can't wait for the readers to hear about your new book.

MoreThanaReview
October 18th, 2012, 12:07 PM
If I am new to your books which book do you recommend I start with?

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Hi Gail,

Wonderful to see you! Why don't you post a brief bio about yourself, and share with our CTR readers about your book? :)

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 12:10 PM
If I am new to your books which book do you recommend I start with?

Hi there, MoreThanaReview! :)

So happy that you've joined us. :)

I write romantic mysteries. If you're more of a contemporary reader, I suggest you start with my "Said the Spider to the Fly". But if you're a Victorian fan, then "See No Evil My Pretty Lady" may be just up your alley. :)

Thanks for asking. Feel free to ask away!

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Miss Mae's bio:

<!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Miss Mae is all about romantic mysteries. “Said the Spider to the Fly”, “When the Bough Breaks”, “Dove Island”, “It’s Extraordinary, My Dear Winifred” and “See No Evil, My Pretty Lady” are award winning best sellers. Her latest, “Catch Me If You Can”, and the novellas “Miss Penelope’s Letters”, and “Through a Glass Darkly” have already received top rated five-star reviews. Tantalizing trailers, and more information, is readily available at her website: www.themissmaesite.com (http://www.themissmaesite.com)

Miss Mae also enjoys writing humor and non-fiction articles. Besides her monthly contributions to the ezine American Chronicle, some of her publications can be found in [I]The Front Porch Magazine, Good Old Days, and WritersWeekly.

She is the founder of The Sweetest Romance Authors Yahoo Group, a group of romance authors who guarantee their stories adhere to a G-rating. Visit our blog at http://thesweetestromanceauthors.blogspot.com (http://www.thesweetestromanceauthors.blogspot.com)

Her alter ego, M.M. also has her first children’s/humor book, “The Mishaps of Gum Drop Island” available in digital download at Smashwords and now in print at Amazon.

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I'm going to have a contest which I'll announce later on in the chat. But I'm giving away a free print copy of "Said the Spider to the Fly" if the winner is Stateside and a free digital download for overseas.

Stay tuned! :)

MoreThanaReview
October 18th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Do you also have a facebook page for thesweetestromance group?

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Is fall your favorite time of year? It is mine. :) I love the cool crispness in the air and the allure of lazily floating golden/red/orange leaves. It's almost tingly to walk through a path of wind-swept leaves and hear the crunch underfoot.

Nothing better than to grab a mug of hot cocoa, curl up in the recliner with my little dog and open up a good book. Mmm! Coffee & Reading

What about you? What do you love about fall? :)

LarryH
October 18th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I finally made it and good to see activity progressing. I'll post a bio as we get into the chat. Larry

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Do you also have a facebook page for thesweetestromance group?

We used to, but I switched that over to GoodReads. Here is our link for that:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/33752-the-sweetest-romance-authors

Miss Mae
I finally made it and good to see activity progressing. I'll post a bio as we get into the chat. Larry

Larry, wonderful to see you! :) So glad you could make it! :)

Gail Pallotta
Hi Gail,

Wonderful to see you! Why don't you post a brief bio about yourself, and share with our CTR readers about your book? :)

My husband says I'm the only person he knows who can go in the grocerry and come out with the cashier's life story. LOL. For years I interviewed people and wrote articles. Now, I'm writing fiction, and I love it. I have out a Christian romance, Love Turns the Tide. There's a little about it at my web site, http://www.gailpallotta.com I've recently published a short story,"Lifeline" in Splickety Magazine, and I have a short story scheduled to come out this month. It's "The Stranger" with a magazine called Other Sheep. Other Sheep is a Christian publication for those who don't like "goody-goody" stories.
In Love Turns the Tide Cammie O'Shea suffers a heartbreaking split-up with her fiance then moves to Destin, Florida, to start a new job with The Sun Dial newspaper. One of her clients, Vic Deleona, wants to date her. She's not interesting in any man after the pain she just endured, so she tries to hurry up with his articles and he tries to delay them. Vandals ruin Cammie and her friend's condos. Vic comes to her rescue. She gets close to him when the two of them launch an investigation into the crimes. Then she has an offer to return home to her old job. Will Vic solve the crimes and win her heart, or will she leave Destin?

MoreThanaReview
October 18th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Hi there, MoreThanaReview! :)

So happy that you've joined us. :)

I write romantic mysteries. If you're more of a contemporary reader, I suggest you start with my "Said the Spider to the Fly". But if you're a Victorian fan, then "See No Evil My Pretty Lady" may be just up your alley. :)

Thanks for asking. Feel free to ask away!

Thank you, I prefer contemporary but read both. I am always excited to find 'clean' reads so I can enjoy the book without being concerned about the content.

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 12:26 PM
My husband says I'm the only person he knows who can go in the grocerry and come out with the cashier's life story. LOL. For years I interviewed people and wrote articles. Now, I'm writing fiction, and I love it. I have out a Christian romance, Love Turns the Tide. There's a little about it at my web site, http://www.gailpallotta.com I've recently published a short story,"Lifeline" in Splickety Magazine, and I have a short story scheduled to come out this month. It's "The Stranger" with a magazine called Other Sheep. Other Sheep is a Christian publication for those who don't like "goody-goody" stories.
In Love Turns the Tide Cammie O'Shea suffers a heartbreaking split-up with her fiance then moves to Destin, Florida, to start a new job with The Sun Dial newspaper. One of her clients, Vic Deleona, wants to date her. She's not interesting in any man after the pain she just endured, so she tries to hurry up with his articles and he tries to delay them. Vandals ruin Cammie and her friend's condos. Vic comes to her rescue. She gets close to him when the two of them launch an investigation into the crimes. Then she has an offer to return home to her old job. Will Vic solve the crimes and win her heart, or will she leave Destin?

Gail, you and I must be related as I think I do that with cashiers, Walmart greeters, joggers at the park, etc. LOL Maybe writers are just nosy people? LOL

Gail Pallotta
October 18th, 2012, 12:28 PM

Good Morning, Larry! Great to see you and read about your books. I enjoyed reading one of your stories very much.

MoreThanaReview
October 18th, 2012, 12:28 PM
We used to, but I switched that over to GoodReads. Here is our link for that:

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/33752-the-sweetest-romance-authors

Awesome, I will make sure I am a member of that group.

Gail Pallotta
October 18th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Gail, you and I must be related as I think I do that with cashiers, Walmart greeters, joggers at the park, etc. LOL Maybe writers are just nosy people? LOL

It could be, Miss Mae. It's interesting. People will just start telling me things. One day my daughter and I were shopping, and the lady in front of us chatted a while. Then she said, "Would you watch my cart and my purse. I forgot something."
We took care of it while she was gone. LOL

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Thank you, I prefer contemporary but read both. I am always excited to find 'clean' reads so I can enjoy the book without being concerned about the content.

We absolutely understand what you're saying! That also concerned us, so we wrote books that we knew wouldn't cause us to blush, or that we could give without any hesitation to our children/grandchildren.

Our books have plenty of romantic "tension", but the rules for the group are strict. No embraces, caresses, etc. can go any further than the heroine's shoulders (a kiss placed on a shoulder). We build all our "desires" with a look, a smile, or a word, not the physical graphic scenes so often portrayed.

Gail Pallotta
October 18th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Hi More Than a Review,

It's so nice to meet you and learn a little about you!

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Oh, just to explain about our GoodReads group:

While TSRA created the group, lots of members aren't authors of TSRA. They are readers who've joined us there. :)

Gail Pallotta
October 18th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I have to go off with hubby. So sorry I can't stay longer.

Be sure to tell everyone about your neat new book, Miss Mae.

How about an excerpt from one of your stories, Larry.

LarryH
October 18th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Larry's bio, the writerly part: I write science fiction and sweet romance. I have several short romance stories on the internet. Several are with The Wild Rose Press, one of them being a free read. Also a new one is coming out next year entitled Help Sessions, release date unknown. I have two stories at Smashwords and one at Red Rose Publishing. I see my signature isn't up to date but the Wild Rose and Red Rose links are okay. I've written several novels, two being science fiction and the others are adventure with all of them having sweet romance. Two novels are being considered at two different publishers and I have hopes mainly for one of them as the acquistions editor has asked for two revisions already. The problem with it is terrible grammar. I made a D in freshman English Composition at Purdue and D doesn't stand for dandy. That's it this go around. Larry

MoreThanaReview
October 18th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Hi More Than a Review,

It's so nice to meet you and learn a little about you!

My name is Donna Feyen. I am the founder of More Than A Review.com. I created a website where readers can search and review books by content level- sex, drugs/alcohol, language, and violence. Similar to your mission I wanted to provide a platform where readers would know what they are reading before they started a book. You cannot judge a book by its cover anymore:)
We should make sure your books and book reviews are added to our site. I like to promote good, clean books and authors on our site.

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 12:40 PM
My first book, a Victorian romantic mystery. Winner of the 2008 and 2009 Top Ten Reads from MyShelf.com

BLURB:

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->New maid Dorcy Edwards flees the scene of where her employer’s body is found. His murder sparks a chain of macabre events. Cloistered on a remote island with five strangers, including Gareth Davenport, her late employer’s brooding, but darkly handsome heir, Dorcy encounters baffling questions with what she fears may be terrifying answers. Who cut the telegraph lines? Who left a mutilated animal carcass outside her bedroom door? What is the reason for Gareth’s black gloves and eye patch? Can he be “Jack the Ripper”, the madman suspected to be Mr. Davenport’s killer? Dorcy must solve the mystery, and soon, or her growing attraction for Gareth could be her very death sentence.

Excerpt to follow. :)

Watch the trailer at my site:

http://www.themissmaesite.com/p/see-no-evil-my-pretty-lady.html

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 12:44 PM
My name is Donna Feyen. I am the founder of More Than A Review.com. I created a website where readers can search and review books by content level- sex, drugs/alcohol, language, and violence. Similar to your mission I wanted to provide a platform where readers would know what they are reading before they started a book. You cannot judge a book by its cover anymore:)
We should make sure your books and book reviews are added to our site. I like to promote good, clean books and authors on our site.

Donna, I applaud you for creating that website. It's wonderful to learn when you're not alone, and we're always so happy to meet people like you. :) Yes, I think all of us can supply book reviews for your site. I'll go looking for some of mine right now. :)

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Larry's bio, the writerly part: I write science fiction and sweet romance. I have several short romance stories on the internet. Several are with The Wild Rose Press, one of them being a free read. Also a new one is coming out next year entitled Help Sessions, release date unknown. I have two stories at Smashwords and one at Red Rose Publishing. I see my signature isn't up to date but the Wild Rose and Red Rose links are okay. I've written several novels, two being science fiction and the others are adventure with all of them having sweet romance. Two novels are being considered at two different publishers and I have hopes mainly for one of them as the acquistions editor has asked for two revisions already. The problem with it is terrible grammar. I made a D in freshman English Composition at Purdue and D doesn't stand for dandy. That's it this go around. Larry

Larry, your books are always so gentle and tender. I love the vintage theme to them too. :)

LarryH
October 18th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Thank you Miss Mae. I hope to read or win your See No Evil, My Pretty Lady in the future. I enjoyed the three books I've read so far along with your short stories. I'll try to come up with an excerpt here as Gail suggested if I can decide which one to use. Larry

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 12:53 PM
This is one of the earliest reviews my first book, "See No Evil, My Pretty Lady" enjoyed.

Fallen Angel Reviews no longer exists, but the review is still up:

http://www.fallenangelreviews.com/2008/October/Kimber-SeeNoEvilMyPrettyLady.htm

MoreThanaReview
October 18th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Donna, I applaud you for creating that website. It's wonderful to learn when you're not alone, and we're always so happy to meet people like you. :) Yes, I think all of us can supply book reviews for your site. I'll go looking for some of mine right now. :)

Exactly, I know what you mean! It was so exciting for me when I realized I was not the only one who was particular about what I was reading.

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Exactly, I know what you mean! It was so exciting for me when I realized I was not the only one who was particular about what I was reading.

Can you give a link to your site? :)

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 01:04 PM
<!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->
“What are you doing down here?”

At the unexpected masculine voice, Dorcy cried in fright. Barely maintaining a grasp on the glass container, she spun around to see Gareth standing on the stairs. He stared at her through the flame of the burning candle he held.

“Oh, I—” Too unnerved to be coherent, she set the bottle on the table before she dropped it. She inhaled a shuddering breath. “Getting something for Stephen. Why did you sneak up on me?”

“I didn’t realize I did. I saw the door was open and came in to find out why. I had no idea you were here.”

A scraping noise, like a heavy boat dragged over rocks, came from the upper threshold. Gareth whirled to peer at the disappearing doorway. “Hey!” He yelled, sprinting upstairs. “What are you doing? We’re down here!”

Before he reached the top step, the door closed with a reverberating thud. The unmistakable scratch of a bolt sliding into place clicked as sharply as a gun being cocked. Gareth shook the knob, and then pounded on the wood with his fist.

“You out there,” he called. “Sosby, is that you? Open the door! Sosby! Sosby?”

Picking up her skirts, Dorcy sped up the stairs. Shoving in front of Gareth, she beat on the door with both hands. “Help! Help! Don’t leave us here! Come back! Inspector? We’re down here! Please, please don’t leave us here!”
Her cries hung in the air, fading away as though she called to the wind. Disbelieving the horror of being shut away in the cold and darkness, she slumped against the wood, tears of fright burning her eyes. [I]No! Who could do this? Who could walk away and leave me here—with Gareth!

Terror squeezed her heart and strength drained from her knees. But at the touch of his hand on her shoulder, she reacted like a cornered animal. Twisting around, she flailed out with her arms, knocking him off balance. He dropped the candle, grasping both railings just in time to keep himself from falling backwards. Momentum pulled Dorcy forward and she fell on top of him, landing against his chest. Momentarily stunned, she made no movement. With his candle snuffed out on the cellar floor, the kerosene lamp on the table below provided the only light. Its dimmed glow silhouetted Gareth’s face, and Dorcy blinked as she realized their noses almost touched. Disconcerted by how her body pressed so intimately against his, she hurried to disentangle herself, striving to ignore the flush that melted the cold from her limbs.

Buy LINKS:

Amazon for print:

http://www.amazon.com/See-No-Evil-Pretty-Lady/dp/1452808155/ref=la_B003RZZPZ0_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1350579722&sr=1-8

Smashwords for digital:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/13752

MoreThanaReview
October 18th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Can you give a link to your site? :)

Thank you for asking. http://www.morethanareview.com/
Here is a link to our Book Review Challenge we are sponsoring that will award a non-profit $1,000. The deadline to register your non-profit is 11:59 tonight. we are sponsoring it to increase the reviews on our site. http://www.morethanareview.com/a-contest/

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Here is a link to our Book Review Challenge we are sponsoring that will award a non-profit $1,000. The deadline to register your non-profit is 11:59 tonight. we are sponsoring it to increase the reviews on our site. http://www.morethanareview.com/a-contest/

How does that work? I see I'm too late but the non-profit I'd go for is my local humane society. How does one get book reviews for that?

MoreThanaReview
October 18th, 2012, 01:07 PM
<!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->
“What are you doing down here?”

At the unexpected masculine voice, Dorcy cried in fright. Barely maintaining a grasp on the glass container, she spun around to see Gareth standing on the stairs. He stared at her through the flame of the burning candle he held.

“Oh, I—” Too unnerved to be coherent, she set the bottle on the table before she dropped it. She inhaled a shuddering breath. “Getting something for Stephen. Why did you sneak up on me?”

“I didn’t realize I did. I saw the door was open and came in to find out why. I had no idea you were here.”

A scraping noise, like a heavy boat dragged over rocks, came from the upper threshold. Gareth whirled to peer at the disappearing doorway. “Hey!” He yelled, sprinting upstairs. “What are you doing? We’re down here!”

Before he reached the top step, the door closed with a reverberating thud. The unmistakable scratch of a bolt sliding into place clicked as sharply as a gun being cocked. Gareth shook the knob, and then pounded on the wood with his fist.

“You out there,” he called. “Sosby, is that you? Open the door! Sosby! Sosby?”

Picking up her skirts, Dorcy sped up the stairs. Shoving in front of Gareth, she beat on the door with both hands. “Help! Help! Don’t leave us here! Come back! Inspector? We’re down here! Please, please don’t leave us here!”
Her cries hung in the air, fading away as though she called to the wind. Disbelieving the horror of being shut away in the cold and darkness, she slumped against the wood, tears of fright burning her eyes. [I]No! Who could do this? Who could walk away and leave me here—with Gareth!

Terror squeezed her heart and strength drained from her knees. But at the touch of his hand on her shoulder, she reacted like a cornered animal. Twisting around, she flailed out with her arms, knocking him off balance. He dropped the candle, grasping both railings just in time to keep himself from falling backwards. Momentum pulled Dorcy forward and she fell on top of him, landing against his chest. Momentarily stunned, she made no movement. With his candle snuffed out on the cellar floor, the kerosene lamp on the table below provided the only light. Its dimmed glow silhouetted Gareth’s face, and Dorcy blinked as she realized their noses almost touched. Disconcerted by how her body pressed so intimately against his, she hurried to disentangle herself, striving to ignore the flush that melted the cold from her limbs.

Buy LINKS:

Amazon for print:

http://www.amazon.com/See-No-Evil-Pretty-Lady/dp/1452808155/ref=la_B003RZZPZ0_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1350579722&sr=1-8

Smashwords for digital:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/13752
Definitely sounds like something I would like! Looking forward to checking out your books! So glad I found you all.

LarryH
October 18th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Okay here is an excerpt from my short story (my longest on the net actually) Motorcycle Woman. It is the segment where Tess and Johnnie first meet.
As she parked her bike, the stranger hoisted himself from his sitting position, laying aside the chain. Tess removed her helmet, tossed her head, her
shoulder length brown hair flying. Placing her helmet on her handle bar mirror, she drew within six feet of him with her "These boots are made for walkin‟" stride. The biker stood at his six-three height, his "National Woodworking Convention 2008" T-shirt flapping gently in the wind. Tess gazed at his bulging biceps and glanced at his slender waist for a few seconds before scanning his jeans and old Converse basketball shoes. He appeared to be about her age: twenty-three. His lips parted slightly, his face relaxing. His clothes, sunburned arms, sun-cooked hands, and lack of a leather jacket or gloves preached inexperience at taking long motorcycle trips.
"Thanks for coming back. I‟m Johnnie Parker. Oh, my hands are too dirty for a shake." Johnnie withdrew his hand.
"Tess McBride. I see you have a broken chain."
"Yeah. Scared the daylights outt‟a me. Engine revved up when it happened." Johnnie‟s unpretentious smile, pleasant bass voice and unwavering eye contact radiated an aura of gentleness to Tess.
"Your hands are dirty, but you don‟t seem to be making any progress on fixing that chain." Tess placed her hands on her waist.
"I had to retrieve the chain fifty yards back. I have all the tools and parts I need to fix it. Jug, my mechanic back home, showed me, but I still can‟t do it." He pointed to the chain links and rivet pressing tool scattered on the ground near his
bike and then waved his hands, his mouth stretching to a thin line.
"I‟ve heard of Jug. Best wrench in Indiana."
"That he is. He never makes me feel stupid with my questions. Guys like him are hard to find." "I‟ll give you a hand." Tess squatted down and he kneeled beside her. She assembled the rivet punch and turned the threaded lever to remove the rivets and broken link.

This story is available from Red Rose Publishing. It suffered a rejection from one site and extensive editing and revising as well before it was accepted. If you spring for it you will see in the dedication I mention the nice ladies that went out on a limb for me on this story.

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 01:09 PM

That is a great looking site, Donna! How does an author go about getting a book reviewed?

MoreThanaReview
October 18th, 2012, 01:12 PM
How does that work? I see I'm too late but the non-profit I'd go for is my local humane society. How does one get book reviews for that?

Sorry, 11:59PM tonight! You still have time. My husband and I are dog lovers. We have three black lab mixes; all rescued.
Email info@morethanareview.com with the following info before October 18th, 2012 at 11:59pm: Name of non-profit organization:
Contact person first and last name:
Contact person email address:
Contact person phone number:

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Okay here is an excerpt from my short story (my longest on the net actually) Motorcycle Woman. It is the segment where Tess and Johnnie first meet.
As she parked her bike, the stranger hoisted himself from his sitting position, laying aside the chain. Tess removed her helmet, tossed her head, her
shoulder length brown hair flying. Placing her helmet on her handle bar mirror, she drew within six feet of him with her "These boots are made for walkin‟" stride. The biker stood at his six-three height, his "National Woodworking Convention 2008" T-shirt flapping gently in the wind. Tess gazed at his bulging biceps and glanced at his slender waist for a few seconds before scanning his jeans and old Converse basketball shoes. He appeared to be about her age: twenty-three. His lips parted slightly, his face relaxing. His clothes, sunburned arms, sun-cooked hands, and lack of a leather jacket or gloves preached inexperience at taking long motorcycle trips.
"Thanks for coming back. I‟m Johnnie Parker. Oh, my hands are too dirty for a shake." Johnnie withdrew his hand.
"Tess McBride. I see you have a broken chain."
"Yeah. Scared the daylights outt‟a me. Engine revved up when it happened." Johnnie‟s unpretentious smile, pleasant bass voice and unwavering eye contact radiated an aura of gentleness to Tess.
"Your hands are dirty, but you don‟t seem to be making any progress on fixing that chain." Tess placed her hands on her waist.
"I had to retrieve the chain fifty yards back. I have all the tools and parts I need to fix it. Jug, my mechanic back home, showed me, but I still can‟t do it." He pointed to the chain links and rivet pressing tool scattered on the ground near his
bike and then waved his hands, his mouth stretching to a thin line.
"I‟ve heard of Jug. Best wrench in Indiana."
"That he is. He never makes me feel stupid with my questions. Guys like him are hard to find." "I‟ll give you a hand." Tess squatted down and he kneeled beside her. She assembled the rivet punch and turned the threaded lever to remove the rivets and broken link.

This story is available from Red Rose Publishing. It suffered a rejection from one site and extensive editing and revising as well before it was accepted. If you spring for it you will see in the dedication I mention the nice ladies that went out on a limb for me on this story.

Great excerpt, Larry! :)

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Sorry, 11:59PM tonight! You still have time. My husband and I are dog lovers. We have three black lab mixes; all rescued.
Email info@morethanareview.com with the following info before October 18th, 2012 at 11:59pm: Name of non-profit organization:
Contact person first and last name:
Contact person email address:
Contact person phone number:

So all I'd need to do is fill our those 3 things? That's it? :) And yes, our 3 dogs are all rescues too. :)

MoreThanaReview
October 18th, 2012, 01:14 PM
That is a great looking site, Donna! How does an author go about getting a book reviewed?

you can email us the books you would like reviewed to info@morethanareview.com. Since your books are clean, you have a very high chance of getting them reviewed! :)

MoreThanaReview
October 18th, 2012, 01:16 PM
So all I'd need to do is fill our those 3 things? That's it? :) And yes, our 3 dogs are all rescues too. :)

Yes, Once registered, I will send you an email with more info that you can share with other book reviewers to help you win! Do you every write books with dogs in them?

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 01:20 PM
This book received the "Best Book of the Week" over at the Long and the Short of It Review site.

(sorry I can't post book covers as that's not something I've learned here at CTR!)

BLURB:

What secrets gather dust inside the house of Mona's childhood? What secrets lie cloaked in the sleepy little town of Copper Springs? What secrets does Mona's old boyfriend fight to hide? What secrets are masked behind Preston Hitchcock's lady-killer smiles? And what secrets plague Mona's tortured memories? They all converge in one tightly woven web of danger, deceit, and -- murder?

Read a review here:

http://www.nightsandweekends.com/articles/09/NW0900059.php

MoreThanaReview
October 18th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Great excerpt, Larry! :)

Larry, Sounds like a great story! I love a strong woman main character.

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Yes, Once registered, I will send you an email with more info that you can share with other book reviewers to help you win! Do you every write books with dogs in them?

I sure do! As a matter-of-fact, my last one "Catch Me If You Can", the golden retriever, Mite, plays a major part in the plot. :)

EAWest
October 18th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Happy fall, everyone! I hope you're all having a wonderful afternoon.

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 01:23 PM

I'm going to try and register now. Might be a few minutes absent from here. Oh, other "Sweeties" will come over today. We're just all on different time zones. LOL

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 01:24 PM

EA, you made it! Awesome!

EAWest
October 18th, 2012, 01:27 PM
EA, you made it! Awesome!

Hi, Miss Mae! Good to see you. :)

MoreThanaReview
October 18th, 2012, 01:30 PM

EA, I just finished Jordan's Battle this week. I enjoyed it; just wanted it to be longer:) I posted my review at morethanareview.com and amazon. I applaud you for sharing the untold stories of the unseen disabilities of some of our military men.

LarryH
October 18th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks, Miss Mae and Donna. Hi EA. Yes, Tess in Motorcycle Woman is a strong character and I loved writing this my first story using a woman's POV. That was something I was afraid to do but finally mustered the courage to do it. In the first 12 pages I was told to delete, Tess was running with a motorcycle gang and was brutalized by the gang leader. She got him back good in the story that saw publishing later in the trip her and Johnnie took to southern Indiana. Larry

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I registered at More Than a Review. Now what do I do to try and help my humane society? :)

EAWest
For anyone who's curious about who I am, here's my official bio:

E.A. West, author of sweet and inspirational romance, is a lifelong lover of books and storytelling. In high school, she discovered the wonders of sharing her stories with others through writing. She picked up her pen in a creative writing class and hasn't laid it down yet. Her love of writing encompasses not only the romance genre but also a variety fiction and non-fiction styles.

Born and raised in Indiana, she still resides there today with her family and a small zoo of pets that includes the typical dogs and cats, and the more unusual African water frogs and a ribbon snake. Her interests are as varied as her critters. She has been known to carry on conversations about everything from politics and current events to gardening and theology. When she's not writing, you can usually find her working on her latest knitting or crochet project.

MoreThanaReview
I sure do! As a matter-of-fact, my last one "Catch Me If You Can", the golden retriever, Mite, plays a major part in the plot. :)

Awesome, I am making a note of that now:) I love dogs in stories. I think they can add so much.

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 01:37 PM
For anyone who's curious about who I am, here's my official bio:

E.A. West, author of sweet and inspirational romance, is a lifelong lover of books and storytelling. In high school, she discovered the wonders of sharing her stories with others through writing. She picked up her pen in a creative writing class and hasn't laid it down yet. Her love of writing encompasses not only the romance genre but also a variety fiction and non-fiction styles.

Born and raised in Indiana, she still resides there today with her family and a small zoo of pets that includes the typical dogs and cats, and the more unusual African water frogs and a ribbon snake. Her interests are as varied as her critters. She has been known to carry on conversations about everything from politics and current events to gardening and theology. When she's not writing, you can usually find her working on her latest knitting or crochet project.

Love EA's books. They are wonderfully original! :)

EAWest
October 18th, 2012, 01:37 PM
EA, I just finished Jordan's Battle this week. I enjoyed it; just wanted it to be longer:) I posted my review at morethanareview.com and amazon. I applaud you for sharing the untold stories of the unseen disabilities of some of our military men.

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have a deep appreciation for those who have served our country, and it's an honor to be able to include veterans in my writing. I also have a soft spot for people who have invisible disabilities, most likely because I know several people living with them.

EAWest
October 18th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Love EA's books. They are wonderfully original! :)

Thanks, Miss Mae. I always think the same thing about your books. Each one I read makes me wonder where you get your amazing creativity!

EAWest
October 18th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Thanks, Miss Mae and Donna. Hi EA. Yes, Tess in Motorcycle Woman is a strong character and I loved writing this my first story using a woman's POV. That was something I was afraid to do but finally mustered the courage to do it. In the first 12 pages I was told to delete, Tess was running with a motorcycle gang and was brutalized by the gang leader. She got him back good in the story that saw publishing later in the trip her and Johnnie took to southern Indiana. Larry

Hi, Larry. :) It's a fun challenge to write from the perspective of the opposite gender, isn't it? I've found it difficult at times to write from the point of view of a man, but I wouldn't trade the opportunity for anything. One of the great things about being an author is exploring the different ways people think and interact with the world around them.

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 01:43 PM
<!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Cherubic cheeked Preacher Weston radiated a benevolent smile to the audience. “Friends…” His glance caught Mona’s and he added, “and family, we’re gathered here today to honor the memory of someone who graced our lives by his generosity, warmth, and deepest desire to help his fellow man.”

Mona bowed her head, a restless hand reaching up to fuss with an earring. Weston went on, “Jerome Kincaid, or ‘Grandpa Jerome’, as we all came to affectionately call him, dedicated his life in service to those less fortunate than himself. Often I heard him say, ‘Why is it that there’re folks who have so much, and yet others hurt so bad?’ This question gnawed at him, and he made it his goal to better the world around him…”

“Excuse me.” Mona threw the hasty whisper at Preston as she rose to her feet, hurrying toward the hallway. Thumping open the door to the ladies’ room, she dropped her purse beside the sink and turned on a faucet. After splashing cold water on her face, she patted her skin dry with a couple of coarse paper towels. She stared at the mirror, dismissing the reflection of green eyes set above high cheekbones and the mass of shoulder-length chocolate brown curls. The remembered image of her mother was what looked back at her.

“…mother was mental…” Lydia Storm’s whispered words echoed in Mona’s mind, flooding her consciousness with scenes from the past.

[I]“I can’t live like this!” Her mother fought her husband’s grip as he struggled to restrain her. “John, help me! I’m going crazy! Please, do something!”

“Brenda, sweetheart.” Her father’s contorted face, wet from helpless tears, pleaded in a broken voice, “Let it go, honey. Let it go.”

“I can’t!” Tendons stiffened in her neck as she arched back, straining against his chest, her nails drawing blood from his arms. “Make it go away. It’s killing me, John.”

Mona clapped a hand to her lips, stifling a sob. Preacher Weston’s booming voice resounded from the pulpit, “…he gave above and beyond to help those in need…”

“Shut up!” Her balled fist smacked the porcelain counter. “You don’t know what he was like. None of you do.” The picture of a locked attic door flashed through her mind.

What if I tell everybody the truth?

You won’t.

They think you were a saint! But you destroyed lives. First Mama, and then Casper, and you tried with me.

It’s a gift. Use it to help humanity.

Damn you. It’s not a gift.

Wiping her eyes, she rechecked her makeup, pinching her cheeks to restore color. Breathing a short sigh, she took her purse and went out into the hallway. Mourners filed from the chapel, some giving her a sympathetic smile. She stepped aside before anyone could offer sentiments.

Buzz Banks waited beside Preston. When she reached the two men, he said, “Both of you come in here.” He led them to an anteroom, shutting the door.

“What’s up, Chief?” Preston asked in a mild voice, his expression deadpan.

“That fellow you wanted me to contact about the towels does fast work. I just heard back from him.” Buzz’s brows met in a deep frown. “That’s not animal blood, like I figured. It’s human, all right.”

“Okay.” Though Preston’s features remained impassive, his eyes took on a guarded alertness. “Now we just have to find out whose.”

“I’ve been at the coroner’s office too.” Buzz’s thumb and forefinger plucked at the corner of his lower lip. He shifted his gaze at Mona. “I’m sorry, but he told me that blood matched your grandpa’s type.”

She spread her hands in confusion. “What does that mean?”

“It means,” Preston turned to her, “that someone had to be with Jerome when he died. They used the towels to wipe up his blood.”

BUY LINKS:

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Said-Spider-Fly-Miss-Mae/dp/1466382716/ref=la_B003RZZPZ0_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1350582101&sr=1-7

Smashwords:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/44037

Laurean
October 18th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Hi, Miss Mae and E.A. You are both talented writers. Miss Mae can carry a suspense story like no one else can...well, maybe Alfred Hitchcock. (Oops? Does anyone remember him?) You never know how it will end, or whodunnit. E.A., The Key To Charlotte is a beautiful story of a young woman with a disability. And now you are making us aware of the psychological and physical readjustments our injured troops must endure. Thank you for supporting them.

MoreThanaReview
October 18th, 2012, 01:56 PM
<!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Cherubic cheeked Preacher Weston radiated a benevolent smile to the audience. “Friends…” His glance caught Mona’s and he added, “and family, we’re gathered here today to honor the memory of someone who graced our lives by his generosity, warmth, and deepest desire to help his fellow man.”

Mona bowed her head, a restless hand reaching up to fuss with an earring. Weston went on, “Jerome Kincaid, or ‘Grandpa Jerome’, as we all came to affectionately call him, dedicated his life in service to those less fortunate than himself. Often I heard him say, ‘Why is it that there’re folks who have so much, and yet others hurt so bad?’ This question gnawed at him, and he made it his goal to better the world around him…”

“Excuse me.” Mona threw the hasty whisper at Preston as she rose to her feet, hurrying toward the hallway. Thumping open the door to the ladies’ room, she dropped her purse beside the sink and turned on a faucet. After splashing cold water on her face, she patted her skin dry with a couple of coarse paper towels. She stared at the mirror, dismissing the reflection of green eyes set above high cheekbones and the mass of shoulder-length chocolate brown curls. The remembered image of her mother was what looked back at her.

“…mother was mental…” Lydia Storm’s whispered words echoed in Mona’s mind, flooding her consciousness with scenes from the past.

[I]“I can’t live like this!” Her mother fought her husband’s grip as he struggled to restrain her. “John, help me! I’m going crazy! Please, do something!”

“Brenda, sweetheart.” Her father’s contorted face, wet from helpless tears, pleaded in a broken voice, “Let it go, honey. Let it go.”

“I can’t!” Tendons stiffened in her neck as she arched back, straining against his chest, her nails drawing blood from his arms. “Make it go away. It’s killing me, John.”

Mona clapped a hand to her lips, stifling a sob. Preacher Weston’s booming voice resounded from the pulpit, “…he gave above and beyond to help those in need…”

“Shut up!” Her balled fist smacked the porcelain counter. “You don’t know what he was like. None of you do.” The picture of a locked attic door flashed through her mind.

You won’t.

They think you were a saint! But you destroyed lives. First Mama, and then Casper, and you tried with me.

Wiping her eyes, she rechecked her makeup, pinching her cheeks to restore color. Breathing a short sigh, she took her purse and went out into the hallway. Mourners filed from the chapel, some giving her a sympathetic smile. She stepped aside before anyone could offer sentiments.

Buzz Banks waited beside Preston. When she reached the two men, he said, “Both of you come in here.” He led them to an anteroom, shutting the door.

“That fellow you wanted me to contact about the towels does fast work. I just heard back from him.” Buzz’s brows met in a deep frown. “That’s not animal blood, like I figured. It’s human, all right.”

“Okay.” Though Preston’s features remained impassive, his eyes took on a guarded alertness. “Now we just have to find out whose.”

“I’ve been at the coroner’s office too.” Buzz’s thumb and forefinger plucked at the corner of his lower lip. He shifted his gaze at Mona. “I’m sorry, but he told me that blood matched your grandpa’s type.”

“It means,” Preston turned to her, “that someone had to be with Jerome when he died. They used the towels to wipe up his blood.”

BUY LINKS:

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Said-Spider-Fly-Miss-Mae/dp/1466382716/ref=la_B003RZZPZ0_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1350582101&sr=1-7

Smashwords:

WOW. you got my attention with that excerpt!

LarryH
October 18th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Hi EA: Yes, it is a challenge to write POV from the opposite gender. After that first story I've now written several from the woman's POV. My vintage editor at Wild Rose seems to think I do okay in that respect. I've had one rejected from woman's POV but not because of the POV but rather other problems. I am contemplating reading a second novel by many of you ladies and what would you recommend, EA, on your books if I can work it into my reading schedule? I've already read Dreams Do Come True a delightful story. Larry

Laurean
October 18th, 2012, 01:58 PM
If this doesn't grab your attention, NOTHING will! Great job of building tension, then pushing the reader to the cliff's edge. Wow!

You won’t.

BUY LINKS:

Amazon:

Smashwords:

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 02:00 PM
WOW. you got my attention with that excerpt!

Excellent! :)

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Hi, Miss Mae and E.A. You are both talented writers. Miss Mae can carry a suspense story like no one else can...well, maybe Alfred Hitchcock. (Oops? Does anyone remember him?) You never know how it will end, or whodunnit. E.A., The Key To Charlotte is a beautiful story of a young woman with a disability. And now you are making us aware of the psychological and physical readjustments our injured troops must endure. Thank you for supporting them.

Hi Laurie! So glad you could make it! :)

Be sure to leave blurbs and excerpts of your delightful books. I love how you make your stories so "homey". :)

Laurean
October 18th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I'm proud to mention my latest release, a collection of 4 inspirational novellas and short stories under one cover. Available in print or download. It's titled "A Medley Of Inspirational Romance. Titles include: Jonquils In The Snow, Over The Coals, Severed Hearts, and A Decision Of Trust. (I'd like to mention here that Miss Mae created the covers for all of these which sell separately as e-books except Severed Hearts.) They are gorgeous!

Here's a link to the Medley: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/135259/

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 02:07 PM
This is my latest full-length romantic mystery.

BLURB:

Are all rules broken when it comes to playing a game? Washed ashore a South Carolina beach, Lois Steinberg learns her shelter, an old plantation house, was scheduled to host a 'Catch Me' game convention. When the cook is the first one found murdered, the game environment instantly morphs into a terrifying evening reminiscent of 'And Then There Were None'.

Watch the trailer at my site:

http://www.themissmaesite.com/p/catch-me-if-you-can.html

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I'm proud to mention my latest release, a collection of 4 inspirational novellas and short stories under one cover. Available in print or download. It's titled "A Medley Of Inspirational Romance. Titles include: Jonquils In The Snow, Over The Coals, Severed Hearts, and A Decision Of Trust. (I'd like to mention here that Miss Mae created the covers for all of these which sell separately as e-books except Severed Hearts.) They are gorgeous!

Here's a link to the Medley: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/135259/

Laurie, Laura Shinn created Severed Hearts. I enjoyed designing the others for you. :)

EAWest
October 18th, 2012, 02:10 PM

Hi, Laurie! Glad you could make it. :)

Anne Patrick
October 18th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Hi everyone! I can't stay long because I'm at work but I did want to pop in and say 'hi'.

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Hi everyone! I can't stay long because I'm at work but I did want to pop in and say 'hi'.

Anne, we're so glad you're here! I know how it is when you're at "work", but I sure hope you're able to leave a few blurbs and excerpts? Your suspense stories are incredible!

Anne Patrick
October 18th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Former combat medic Kory Wagner has been in four war zones, served three tours in Iraq, survived countless firefights, RPG’s, IED’s and even a helicopter crash. Now she’s home and out of the Army for good and someone is trying to kill her in her own backyard. Just as disturbing is the handsome sheriff who’s on the case.

Sheriff Sean Harding doesn’t quite know what to think of the decorated veteran that managed to outsmart an entire search party. What bothers him more is the body of a PI, whom she hired to find her sister's killer, was found dead in a building Kory owns. And Kory isn’t being very cooperative with helping him find the answers as to why someone would kill her sister and want her dead. Will he be able to keep her alive along enough to discover the truth?

Kill Shot was a finalist in the 2011 Grace Awards in the Suspense/Mystery/Thriller/Romantic Suspense category. Best seller at Christianbook.com

Excerpt

The steel door creaked as she pushed it open, the sound echoing throughout the metal building. "Mr. Urlik?" She waited for her eyes to adjust to the change in lighting before stepping all the way inside. A wide stream of light from the door spread out in front of her. "Mr. Urlik. Are you in here?"

Kory heard a sound a few yards in front of her. She quickly scanned the area. Three rows of huge metal shelves lined the interior. She inched forward, peering around the corner of the second row. Mr. Urlik lay on his side, facing her, clutching his chest. His eyes were opened and his mouth moved, but no sound came out. A heart attack? She ran to him, knelt down on the cement floor, and took his hand. It was wet, slimy. She looked down and saw his hand covered in blood. Her eyes shifted to his chest. A large crimson stain spread across the width of his white shirt from a small hole near the center. He was breathing erratically. Experience told her a bullet had pierced at least one lung and he didn't have much time. She immediately pressed the heel of her right hand against the wound.

"I'm sorry," he murmured.

"Where's your cell phone?" Hers was in her backpack but she didn't want to waste valuable time digging it out.

"No time. Get out."

"Who did this, Mr. Urlik?"

He grabbed her right hand and squeezed it tightly. "You were right -- no accident."

His hand went limp.

Kory felt something in the palm of her hand, looked down and saw it was a key. She shoved it into her jeans pocket. A whizzing sound buzzed past her, followed by the unmistakable clink of a bullet ricocheting off metal. She instinctively threw herself over his body as another bullet struck metal. Kory felt for a pulse. There was none. She lowered her hand to his chest and felt under both arms and along his waist. I thought all PIs carried guns. Just my luck this one didn't.

She scrambled to her feet, as more shots ricocheted around her, and dove through an opening on the first row of shelves. A piercing pain sliced through her upper arm as she took cover behind some boxes. They wouldn't shield her from the gunfire but they would conceal her presence while she figured out how she was going to get out of there. She paused long enough to grab her cell phone from her backpack, wishing she hadn't when another bullet tore through a box beside her. She ducked lower to the floor.

Kory ignored the throbbing in her arm and slithered along the floor toward the back of the building. As a child, she and her sister, Callie, had often accompanied her grandfather to the warehouse where he worked on boats as a hobby. She remembered a back exit that led to the side parking lot and nearby woods. If she could reach the door, she had a chance of getting out of this alive. She looked down at the tear in her shirt, drenched with blood.

This isn't good!

Available at Desert Breeze Publishing (http://stores.desertbreezepublishing.com/-strse-227/Wounded-Heros-Book-One/Detail.bok), Christianbook.com (http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=24251EB&item_code=WW&netp_id=978361&event=ESRCN&view=details), Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Wounded-Heroes-Book-One-ebook/dp/B0067DE258/ref=sr_1_52?ie=UTF8&qid=1321336626&sr=8-52), Barnes & Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wounded-heroes-book-one-anne-patrick/1107396600?ean=2940013446410&itm=14&usri=anne&#37;252bpatrick), and most online bookstores.

Anne Patrick
October 18th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Kasey Montgomery has returned to her hometown of Fire Creek Montana after the apparent suicide of her cousin. Within days of Beth's funeral, Kasey begins to find inconsistencies in her death. The local sheriff is quick to dismiss the allegations as figments of a writer's imagination. Kasey is determined to prove otherwise. Does the bronzed skinned stranger from Beth's funeral hold the answers?

Local park ranger, Jimmy Little Raven suspects foul play too. Beth was engaged to his best friend who died months earlier from a mysterious accident. Risking his heart and his job, he teams up with the famous mystery writer to find the answers to both deaths.

Available at Desert Breeze Publishing, (http://stores.desertbreezepublishing.com/-strse-315/K.T.-Randall-Book-One-cln-/Detail.bok) Amazon, (http://www.amazon.com/K-T-Randall-Book-One-ebook/dp/B008GI62KA/ref=la_B002C793SE_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1341130949&sr=1-17) Barnes and Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/kt-randall-book-one-anne-patrick/1111921254?ean=2940014681360), Christianbook.com (http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=33097EB&item_code=WW&netp_id=1046182&event=ESRCN&view=details), and most online bookstores.

Excerpt

Kasey rounded the corner onto the street where she’d left her car. She stopped dead in her tracks at the sight of Jimmy Little Raven leaning against the hood of the Firebird, his arms folded across his chest.

It took several seconds to recover from her initial shock before she walked over to her car. "What are you doing here?"

"Never mind that. What were you doing in Woodward’s office?" he demanded.

She avoided his glare, as her mind raced to come up with a logical explanation. Lying was out of the question, not that it'd do any good anyway. He had no doubt seen her through the window, explaining the noise she heard.

"Do you realize how much trouble you could get into if anyone was to find out you broke into his office?"

"No one’s going to find out... unless you rat on me. Besides, I didn’t break in, I had a key."

"You what!"

Before she could answer, her breath was yanked violently from her lungs as he lifted her up and dove, with her in his arms, onto the hood of the Firebird. The sounds of crunching metal, breaking glass and squealing tires followed. The earth seemed to rumble beneath her as their bodies rolled together onto the hard cement below.

LarryH
October 18th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Hi Laurie. I"ve read Laurie's collection of short stories and they're great. See my review at Amazon. I've also read Spider which Miss Mae provided as an excerpt. I've had the privelege of reading so many good novels by all the ladies in the Sweetest Romance Group. Maybe someday I'll have a novel accepted too. My hopes are high at this point for two of my novels. I just have to be patient and do the waiting.
I'm going to have to leave at this point and I'll check back in in case anyone is around in more than an hour from now. Thanks for all the comments and I'll provide another excerpt perhaps from one of my unpublished novels. Larry

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 02:20 PM
<!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->

“Handler?” Lois cried in furious disbelief. “You were to be kept strictly away from animals!”

“But it worked,” he hurried to tell her, quickly adding, “I appreciate and understand them now. The whole experience changed me.” He paused as if expecting his confession to earn him a round of kudos. When Lois only muttered a disparaging remark, he spoke over her with, “Hell, lady. I’m not the same man I was four years ago.”

“And if you think I believe that, then I believe the moon is made out of cheese.” Too riled to say more, she paced in tight circles, wanting to kick something, to lash out at a limp-wristed legal system that’d allow such a criminal to walk free.

“Guess I can’t blame you.” Andy swiped at a bead of sweat that skated down the side of his cheek. He watched her with those hooded eyes. “But what good would it do to inform my bosses? A. Kaslo is their best reporter. Please.” His voice sank to a rough whisper. “Don’t destroy my new life.”

“Why shouldn’t I?” She whirled on him, spitting the words through bared teeth. “You destroy lives. There’s no difference between what you’re like today and what you were like four years ago. Except that instead of clubbing innocent animals with baseball bats, now you’re assaulting people with venomous gossip.” Relishing the sight of how his Adams apple dipped in a hard swallow, she twisted the knife deeper. “Pay back is justice served, Mr. Conners.”

The air fairly hummed with tension. Eyes narrowing ominously, Andy tried to stare her down. But she didn’t waver. So consumed by the memory of the heinous acts committed by the man in front of her, Lois barely heard Jared call out from the opposite end of the hallway.

“Where’s Cookie?” Apparently oblivious of the highly charged moment he strolled into, he gave a leisurely turn on his heel as he scoped out the lobby’s sitting area. “I don’t see her.”

All pretence gone, Andy dropped his head close to Lois’, touching almost nose-to-nose. “If you want to play hardball, little darlin’,” he sneered the sinister warning, “then you’d better watch your back.” Swiftly, he straightened to greet Jared, his features settling with practiced ease into a congenial expression. “Actually, we haven’t seen her either.”

Jared stopped before the [I]Ladies door to press an ear against the wood. “She in there?”

“Maybe.” Chuckling, Andy scratched the side of his beard. “If you barge in there, then you’re a braver man than I.”

Needing a second alone, Lois walked to the sign-in counter. Slowly, she inhaled a deep breath, and then another as she tried to calm her turbulent thoughts. To deny Andy’s threat had unnerved her would be a lie. If anyone knew what the monster was capable of, she did.

From the corner of her eye, she glimpsed the tip of Mite’s fluffy tail as the dog trotted past. She gave a mental gasp. I told Victor to watch him! Without a word to anyone, she ran to catch up.

In the corridor that led to the kitchen, she whistled. “Mite! What are you doing?”

He stopped, looked back at her, and then bounded ahead. Groaning in frustration, she chased him into the room. “Come here, Mite,” she called. “Let me take you to your daddy.”

Sounds of scratching alerted her to his location. The freezer door stood wide open, and enough light filtered inside to reveal him sniffing at a box marked Cut and Skinned Chicken Breasts. Even as annoyed as she was, Lois sighed in understanding. “Tantalizes your nose, does it?” She grabbed at his collar. “That’s too much temptation for any dog.”

Legs stiffening, he balked at her attempts to drag him from the partially thawed meat. “You can’t stay here, fella,” she panted, “I’m going to make sure you’re safe—”

Mite broke loose. Snarling and growling, he knocked her down as he barged through to the kitchen. Before she could get to her feet, Lois felt a strong hand shove her between her shoulder blades. Falling flat to the floor on her face, she heard the door slam behind her. A second later the fan in the overhead vent clicked on. Icy air blew like an Arctic wind.

BUY LINKS:

Amazon for print:

http://www.amazon.com/Catch-Me-If-You-Can/dp/1466364750/ref=la_B003RZZPZ0_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1350584354&sr=1-3

Smashwords:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/17475

MoreThanaReview
October 18th, 2012, 02:21 PM
The steel door creaked as she pushed it open, the sound echoing throughout the metal building. "Mr. Urlik?" She waited for her eyes to adjust to the change in lighting before stepping all the way inside. A wide stream of light from the door spread out in front of her. "Mr. Urlik. Are you in here?"

Kory heard a sound a few yards in front of her. She quickly scanned the area. Three rows of huge metal shelves lined the interior. She inched forward, peering around the corner of the second row. Mr. Urlik lay on his side, facing her, clutching his chest. His eyes were opened and his mouth moved, but no sound came out. A heart attack? She ran to him, knelt down on the cement floor, and took his hand. It was wet, slimy. She looked down and saw his hand covered in blood. Her eyes shifted to his chest. A large crimson stain spread across the width of his white shirt from a small hole near the center. He was breathing erratically. Experience told her a bullet had pierced at least one lung and he didn't have much time. She immediately pressed the heel of her right hand against the wound.

"Where's your cell phone?" Hers was in her backpack but she didn't want to waste valuable time digging it out.

"No time. Get out."

He grabbed her right hand and squeezed it tightly. "You were right -- no accident."

His hand went limp.

Kory felt something in the palm of her hand, looked down and saw it was a key. She shoved it into her jeans pocket. A whizzing sound buzzed past her, followed by the unmistakable clink of a bullet ricocheting off metal. She instinctively threw herself over his body as another bullet struck metal. Kory felt for a pulse. There was none. She lowered her hand to his chest and felt under both arms and along his waist. I thought all PIs carried guns. Just my luck this one didn't.

She scrambled to her feet, as more shots ricocheted around her, and dove through an opening on the first row of shelves. A piercing pain sliced through her upper arm as she took cover behind some boxes. They wouldn't shield her from the gunfire but they would conceal her presence while she figured out how she was going to get out of there. She paused long enough to grab her cell phone from her backpack, wishing she hadn't when another bullet tore through a box beside her. She ducked lower to the floor.

Kory ignored the throbbing in her arm and slithered along the floor toward the back of the building. As a child, she and her sister, Callie, had often accompanied her grandfather to the warehouse where he worked on boats as a hobby. She remembered a back exit that led to the side parking lot and nearby woods. If she could reach the door, she had a chance of getting out of this alive. She looked down at the tear in her shirt, drenched with blood.

This isn't good!

Available at Desert Breeze Publishing (http://stores.desertbreezepublishing.com/-strse-227/Wounded-Heros-Book-One/Detail.bok), Christianbook.com (http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=24251EB&item_code=WW&netp_id=978361&event=ESRCN&view=details), Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Wounded-Heroes-Book-One-ebook/dp/B0067DE258/ref=sr_1_52?ie=UTF8&qid=1321336626&sr=8-52), Barnes & Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wounded-heroes-book-one-anne-patrick/1107396600?ean=2940013446410&itm=14&usri=anne%252bpatrick), and most online bookstores.

Anne, It is nice to know I am not the only one that still has my day job:) Love your excerpt and the one for Renegade Hearts. I just looked you up on The Sweetest Romance Authors group. Your books look and sound intriguing. Glad you were able to join us.

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Former combat medic Kory Wagner has been in four war zones, served three tours in Iraq, survived countless firefights, RPG’s, IED’s and even a helicopter crash. Now she’s home and out of the Army for good and someone is trying to kill her in her own backyard. Just as disturbing is the handsome sheriff who’s on the case.

Sheriff Sean Harding doesn’t quite know what to think of the decorated veteran that managed to outsmart an entire search party. What bothers him more is the body of a PI, whom she hired to find her sister's killer, was found dead in a building Kory owns. And Kory isn’t being very cooperative with helping him find the answers as to why someone would kill her sister and want her dead. Will he be able to keep her alive along enough to discover the truth?

Kill Shot was a finalist in the 2011 Grace Awards in the Suspense/Mystery/Thriller/Romantic Suspense category. Best seller at Christianbook.com

Excerpt

"No time. Get out."

His hand went limp.

This isn't good!

Available at Desert Breeze Publishing (http://stores.desertbreezepublishing.com/-strse-227/Wounded-Heros-Book-One/Detail.bok), Christianbook.com (http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=24251EB&item_code=WW&netp_id=978361&event=ESRCN&view=details), Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Wounded-Heroes-Book-One-ebook/dp/B0067DE258/ref=sr_1_52?ie=UTF8&qid=1321336626&sr=8-52), Barnes & Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wounded-heroes-book-one-anne-patrick/1107396600?ean=2940013446410&itm=14&usri=anne&#37;252bpatrick), and most online bookstores.

I've read this one. Gave me chills!

EAWest
October 18th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Hi EA: Yes, it is a challenge to write POV from the opposite gender. After that first story I've now written several from the woman's POV. My vintage editor at Wild Rose seems to think I do okay in that respect. I've had one rejected from woman's POV but not because of the POV but rather other problems. I am contemplating reading a second novel by many of you ladies and what would you recommend, EA, on your books if I can work it into my reading schedule? I've already read Dreams Do Come True a delightful story. Larry

Ooh, that's a tough one! It depends on what you enjoy reading. If you like dogs helping their humans, I'd recommend either Imperfect Beauty (which features a guide dog) or Jordan's Battle (which has a psychiatric service dog). If you enjoy stories with veterans or military personnel, Riley's Mission involves the National Guard, Healing in Haven Falls has a veteran for a hero, as does Jordan's Battle. The Key to Charlotte has an autistic heroine, if you enjoy reading an unusual POV. As for genre, Jordan's Battle and Imperfect Beauty are sweet romances. Riley's Mission is a sweet romantic suspense, and the others are inspirational romances.

I'll post blurbs and excerpts for everything so you and whoever else drops by can get a better idea of what each story is about. :)

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Hi Laurie. I"ve read Laurie's collection of short stories and they're great. See my review at Amazon. I've also read Spider which Miss Mae provided as an excerpt. I've had the privelege of reading so many good novels by all the ladies in the Sweetest Romance Group. Maybe someday I'll have a novel accepted too. My hopes are high at this point for two of my novels. I just have to be patient and do the waiting.
I'm going to have to leave at this point and I'll check back in in case anyone is around in more than an hour from now. Thanks for all the comments and I'll provide another excerpt perhaps from one of my unpublished novels. Larry

Larry, I'd love to read an excerpt from one of your SF's. :)

EAWest
October 18th, 2012, 02:23 PM

Hi, Anne! It's good to see you, if only for a moment. :)

MoreThanaReview
October 18th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Ooh, that's a tough one! It depends on what you enjoy reading. If you like dogs helping their humans, I'd recommend either Imperfect Beauty (which features a guide dog) or Jordan's Battle (which has a psychiatric service dog). If you enjoy stories with veterans or military personnel, Riley's Mission involves the National Guard, Healing in Haven Falls has a veteran for a hero, as does Jordan's Battle. The Key to Charlotte has an autistic heroine, if you enjoy reading an unusual POV. As for genre, Jordan's Battle and Imperfect Beauty are sweet romances. Riley's Mission is a sweet romantic suspense, and the others are inspirational romances.

I'll post blurbs and excerpts for everything so you and whoever else drops by can get a better idea of what each story is about. :)
EA, Thanks for sharing the books and a little about them. I didn't realize you had so many books. I enjoyed the book excerpt for Imperfect Beauty that was at the end of Jordan's Battle. Who published Riley's Mission?

EAWest
This is my latest sweet romance from Astraea Press. I love this cover! It captures Jordan's service dog beautifully. :)

Blurb:

Computer programmer Alaina Howard has a new office mate, and she couldn’t be happier that he’s handsome and unattached. Although initially uncertain of his position in the company, she quickly realizes that he’s good at his job and a valuable asset. If only she knew why the seemingly non-disabled man needed a service dog, things would be perfect.

Army veteran Jordan Blake is thrilled to get a job that allows him to pursue his dream of learning web development. The position is even sweeter thanks to the beautiful woman he shares an office with. The only drawback is that she seems suspicious of his need for a service dog to assist with an invisible disability.

Will Alaina’s suspicion and Jordan’s reluctance to talk about his disability keep them from developing the relationship they both desire?

~~

Jordan's Battle is available as an ebook from Astraea Press (http://astraeapress.com/#ecwid:category=662245&mode=product&product=13919619), Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Jordans-Battle-ebook/dp/B0098SJUNI), and Barnes and Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/jordans-battle-ea-west/1112822598?ean=2940015270372).

Anne Patrick
Thanks everyone! I feel blessed to be part of such a wonderful group of talented authors. You all are the greatest!!!

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Here is the blurb for my short story, "Through a Glass Darkly".

Computer viruses no longer exist, yet Vexen’s medical transport is held hostage by one. The hologram engineered to combat the deadly program develops an identity crisis. An alien intruder is discovered stowed away in the cargo bay. And the evil, reptilian Delphan demands immediate surrender of her ship. Can anything else possibly go wrong?

Be sure to watch the trailer at my site:

http://www.themissmaesite.com/p/through-glass-darkly.html

I'm happy to report that this short story is now in print! :)

Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Through-Glass-Darkly-Miss-Mae/dp/1479319007/ref=la_B003RZZPZ0_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1350585093&sr=1-9)

Digital at Smashwords (https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/55010)

Laurean
A DECISION OF TRUST--Amanda Wilkes returns to the workforce after her husband's scandalous death leaves her mountains of debt. Her new employer, Attorney Jake Tyler, resolves to raise his seven-year-old son (Lance) alone. His resolve wavers when Amanda joins his law firm. But, will an enemy from within the firm destroy the budding romance between Jake and Amanda?

Excerpt:

With each passing week, Amanda fell more in love with Jake. It was too late to guard her heart. She was smitten. She'd reached the conclusion that Jake would never hurt her, not the way Greg had. She would take a chance and trust her heart again. The more she was in Jake's presence, the more she wanted to be.

Her love also grew for Jake's son. Lance was a joy. If she wasn't already head-over-heels in love with his father, she'd still marry Jake to be a mother to his son. The question was: How did Jake feel about her?

Corinne hadn't given her a moment's trouble since the "misunderstanding" over the adoption papers she'd been working on; though she cast Amanda the evil eye several times. Amanda expected trouble to flare any moment since Corinne walked into the break room earlier while she and Jake discussed Lance's weekend stay with Amanda. Since Corinne was already ticked, who knew what might happen?

Amanda finished typing her second Complaint when Jake stuck his hear through the door. "Just wanted you to know I'm leaving. I have a flight to catch. Is there anything else you can think of that Lance might need? Don't forget; school turns out at 2:30."

Amanda smiled. Jake was a caring father. "I won't forget. And I think we have the bases covered. Lance told me he packed Barney and his toothbrush."

Jake chuckled. "He won't sleep without Barney. I may have to rip that little stuffed dinosaur from his arms when he turns sixteen."

Amanda propped her hands on her hips. "Jake Tyler! Let the child enjoy being one. He'll give up Barney when he's good and ready."

Jake moved closer, dipping his chin to search her eyes. "Sounds like I stirred up a lioness."

Why must he look at her like that? Did he know the effect he had on her? She took a deep breath and turned toward the file cabinet. "No, I'm just looking out for a little boy's rights."

Jake squeezed her shoulder. "I have to go. I'll be back sometime Sunday night. Stay safe."

Amanda glanced beyond his shoulder through the window across the hall to find Corinne's gaze fixed on her. The other secretary's tight-lipped glare told Amanda she had better stay on her toes. If she had ever seen evil personified, Corinne's face portrayed it at that moment.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/135259 or read this story in my four-story collection, A Medley of Inspirational Romance. https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/142122/

EAWest
EA, Thanks for sharing the books and a little about them. I didn't realize you had so many books. I enjoyed the book excerpt for Imperfect Beauty that was at the end of Jordan's Battle. Who published Riley's Mission?

The Wild Rose Press published Riley's Mission. My inspirational romances are published by White Rose Publishing, an imprint of Pelican Book Group.

CindyDragonfly
October 18th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Good morning, Coffee Time Romancers!

Our Fall chat begins at noon EST. Come to this thread and join in the fun! We'll see you then!:winkiss:

Looks like you are underway and having lots of fun!
I've got kids home from school for Fall Recess, but am so excited to jump in get to know everyone. I have to take my son shopping for fabric supplies. He has an assignment of sewing the Canadian Flag. Sound fun? (lol)

Anyway, I'm a sweet romance author and love including humor, suspense and dogs in my books!

Here's a little more about me:

I’m a challenged writer with around thirty health issues and want other writers to know they can still fulfill their dreams despite any limitations. My husband and I have two children on the autism spectrum who also have other co-morbid conditions, so life can be additionally challenging.

I grew up on a farm here in Utah, and I’m focusing on helping abused and abandoned dogs with the sale of my books. Despite writing romance, I feature the dogs in my books on the covers.

I've partnered with Friends in Need Animal Sanctuary to donate to. They are awesome. Later today, we are taking a truckload of produce from our garden to feed to the animals.

If anyone has any questions, let me know. I'll randomly be posting the rest of the day.

Have fun.

Cindy A. Christiansen
Fly into a good book at: http://www.dragonflyromance.com

EAWest
October 18th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Jordan leaned back in his desk chair and rolled his shoulders to relieve some of the tension. The longer he studied the Paradigm Computing website from both the public side and the back end, it sank in just how big a job he’d taken on. Although his dream of becoming a web developer was one step closer to coming true thanks to Russ Porter, Jordan couldn’t deny the weight of responsibility pressing down on him. Russ trusted him to learn huge amounts of information in a short period of time, and Jordan wanted to give a hundred and ten percent, the same way he always did. He just didn’t know if he could survive the pressure it would undoubtedly create.

Before his stress level could climb any higher, Jordan felt a nudge against his left leg. He released a breath and reached down to scratch his dog’s head. Abe always knew when to interrupt his thoughts. Given how long they’d been at this desk, they could both use a walk.

Jordan grabbed his dog’s leash as he stood, and the large, dark brown mutt followed his example. He caught Alaina watching him and smiled. He couldn’t ask for a prettier office mate than the blonde sitting at the desk across the room.

“I’m going outside for a few,” he said as Abe stretched.

Alaina lifted a shapely eyebrow, and distaste clouded her hazel eyes. “You’re a smoker?”

He laughed and stepped out from behind his desk. “No, I’m just going for a short walk.”

Her eyes widened as Abe stepped into her line of sight. “You brought your dog to work? Does Uncle Russ know?”

His office mate was his boss’s niece? Added stress he didn’t need. He shook off the anxiety before it could threaten him too much.

“Of course. Abe goes everywhere with me.” Jordan glanced down at his canine companion and turned him so Alaina could clearly see Abe’s labeled vest. Maybe it would keep her from asking questions he didn’t want to answer.

She leaned forward, her eyes on Abe. An adorable pink blush crept into her cheeks as she met Jordan’s gaze. “Oh! I should have realized he’s a service dog.”

Well, this was new. He’d never seen anyone surprised to learn Abe was a service dog.

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 02:34 PM
This is my latest sweet romance from Astraea Press. I love this cover! It captures Jordan's service dog beautifully. :)

Blurb:

Computer programmer Alaina Howard has a new office mate, and she couldn’t be happier that he’s handsome and unattached. Although initially uncertain of his position in the company, she quickly realizes that he’s good at his job and a valuable asset. If only she knew why the seemingly non-disabled man needed a service dog, things would be perfect.

Army veteran Jordan Blake is thrilled to get a job that allows him to pursue his dream of learning web development. The position is even sweeter thanks to the beautiful woman he shares an office with. The only drawback is that she seems suspicious of his need for a service dog to assist with an invisible disability.

Will Alaina’s suspicion and Jordan’s reluctance to talk about his disability keep them from developing the relationship they both desire?

~~

Jordan's Battle is available as an ebook from Astraea Press (http://astraeapress.com/#ecwid:category=662245&mode=product&product=13919619), Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Jordans-Battle-ebook/dp/B0098SJUNI), and Barnes and Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/jordans-battle-ea-west/1112822598?ean=2940015270372).

This sounds wonderful, EA, and I love that cover. So gorgeous! :)

Anne Patrick
October 18th, 2012, 02:35 PM
This sounds like a great read EA. During my research for Kill Shot I read a lot about PTSD and the woman medic I interviewed told me quite a bit about the amazing service dogs that are being used to help these brave men and women.

Blurb:

~~

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 02:36 PM
A DECISION OF TRUST--Amanda Wilkes returns to the workforce after her husband's scandalous death leaves her mountains of debt. Her new employer, Attorney Jake Tyler, resolves to raise his seven-year-old son (Lance) alone. His resolve wavers when Amanda joins his law firm. But, will an enemy from within the firm destroy the budding romance between Jake and Amanda?

Excerpt:

With each passing week, Amanda fell more in love with Jake. It was too late to guard her heart. She was smitten. She'd reached the conclusion that Jake would never hurt her, not the way Greg had. She would take a chance and trust her heart again. The more she was in Jake's presence, the more she wanted to be.

Her love also grew for Jake's son. Lance was a joy. If she wasn't already head-over-heels in love with his father, she'd still marry Jake to be a mother to his son. The question was: How did Jake feel about her?

Corinne hadn't given her a moment's trouble since the "misunderstanding" over the adoption papers she'd been working on; though she cast Amanda the evil eye several times. Amanda expected trouble to flare any moment since Corinne walked into the break room earlier while she and Jake discussed Lance's weekend stay with Amanda. Since Corinne was already ticked, who knew what might happen?

Amanda finished typing her second Complaint when Jake stuck his hear through the door. "Just wanted you to know I'm leaving. I have a flight to catch. Is there anything else you can think of that Lance might need? Don't forget; school turns out at 2:30."

Amanda smiled. Jake was a caring father. "I won't forget. And I think we have the bases covered. Lance told me he packed Barney and his toothbrush."

Jake chuckled. "He won't sleep without Barney. I may have to rip that little stuffed dinosaur from his arms when he turns sixteen."

Amanda proper her hands on her hips. "Jake Tyler! Let the child enjoy being one. He'll give up Barney when he's good and ready."

Jake moved closer, dipping his chin to search her eyes. "Sounds like I stirred up a lioness."

Why must he look at her like that? Did he know the effect he had on her? She took a deep breath and turned toward the file cabinet. "No, I'm just looking out for a little boy's rights."

Jake squeezed her shoulder. "I have to go. I'll be back sometime Sunday night. Stay safe."

Amanda glanced beyond his shoulder through the window across the hall to find Corinne's gaze fixed on her. The other secretary's tight-lipped glare told Amanda she had better stay on her toes. If she had ever seen evil personified, Corinne's face portrayed it at that moment.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/135259 or read this story in my four-story collection, A Medley of Inspirational Romance. https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/142122/

Ooh, I don't like that tight-lipped glare! Good stuff here, Laurie. :)

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I've got kids home from school for Fall Recess, but am so excited to jump in get to know everyone. I have to take my son shopping for fabric supplies. He has an assignment of sewing the Canadian Flag. Sound fun? (lol)

Anyway, I'm a sweet romance author and love including humor, suspense and dogs in my books!

I’m a challenged writer with around thirty health issues and want other writers to know they can still fulfill their dreams despite any limitations. My husband and I have two children on the autism spectrum who also have other co-morbid conditions, so life can be additionally challenging.

I grew up on a farm here in Utah, and I’m focusing on helping abused and abandoned dogs with the sale of my books. Despite writing romance, I feature the dogs in my books on the covers.

I've partnered with Friends in Need Animal Sanctuary to donate to. They are awesome. Later today, we are taking a truckload of produce from our garden to feed to the animals.

If anyone has any questions, let me know. I'll randomly be posting the rest of the day.

Have fun.

Cindy A. Christiansen

Cindy, so glad you're able to come over! If you can, be sure to post blurbs and excerpts. Also, don't forget to mention the Sweet Romance Contest! :)

CindyDragonfly
October 18th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Great excerpt, Laurean, and great to talk with you again. Life has been crazy busy. Sounds like this are going better.

Cindy

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Jordan leaned back in his desk chair and rolled his shoulders to relieve some of the tension. The longer he studied the Paradigm Computing website from both the public side and the back end, it sank in just how big a job he’d taken on. Although his dream of becoming a web developer was one step closer to coming true thanks to Russ Porter, Jordan couldn’t deny the weight of responsibility pressing down on him. Russ trusted him to learn huge amounts of information in a short period of time, and Jordan wanted to give a hundred and ten percent, the same way he always did. He just didn’t know if he could survive the pressure it would undoubtedly create.

Before his stress level could climb any higher, Jordan felt a nudge against his left leg. He released a breath and reached down to scratch his dog’s head. Abe always knew when to interrupt his thoughts. Given how long they’d been at this desk, they could both use a walk.

Jordan grabbed his dog’s leash as he stood, and the large, dark brown mutt followed his example. He caught Alaina watching him and smiled. He couldn’t ask for a prettier office mate than the blonde sitting at the desk across the room.

“I’m going outside for a few,” he said as Abe stretched.

Alaina lifted a shapely eyebrow, and distaste clouded her hazel eyes. “You’re a smoker?”

He laughed and stepped out from behind his desk. “No, I’m just going for a short walk.”

Her eyes widened as Abe stepped into her line of sight. “You brought your dog to work? Does Uncle Russ know?”

His office mate was his boss’s niece? Added stress he didn’t need. He shook off the anxiety before it could threaten him too much.

“Of course. Abe goes everywhere with me.” Jordan glanced down at his canine companion and turned him so Alaina could clearly see Abe’s labeled vest. Maybe it would keep her from asking questions he didn’t want to answer.

She leaned forward, her eyes on Abe. An adorable pink blush crept into her cheeks as she met Jordan’s gaze. “Oh! I should have realized he’s a service dog.”

Well, this was new. He’d never seen anyone surprised to learn Abe was a service dog.

Hmm, I'm wondering why she's surprised too! Wonderful excerpt, EA. :)

CindyDragonfly
October 18th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Hi Miss Mae,
Loved your trailer for Through a Glass Darkly. You are so talented!
I'll post as fast as my little fingers will allow!

Thanks, MM.

Cindy

Laurean
October 18th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Anne,

I'm more amazed every time I read one of your excerpts. Your knowledge of police work and medical procedures are way beyond me. Plus, you know how to keep your readers glued to the page. Congratulations on another great release.

QUOTE=MoreThanaReview;164984]Anne, It is nice to know I am not the only one that still has my day job:) Love your excerpt and the one for Renegade Hearts. I just looked you up on The Sweetest Romance Authors group. Your books look and sound intriguing. Glad you were able to join us.[/QUOTE]

MoreThanaReview
October 18th, 2012, 02:44 PM

Have fun.

Cindy A. Christiansen

Cindy, First let me say - Bless Your Heart! I have a sister with a child on the low end of the spectrum. I cannot imagine the challenges of two.
Secondly, Miss Mae and I were just discussing we are both dog lovers too. I would love to know which of your books contain dogs or is it all of them?! I love dogs in the stories.

Anne Patrick
October 18th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Larry, Laurie and Miss Mae, you're blurbs and excerpts are wonderful too. I'm afraid I must duck out now and get busy. So sorry I couldn't stay longer. Hope you all have a great time. Hugs!

Excerpt:

Amanda propped her hands on her hips. "Jake Tyler! Let the child enjoy being one. He'll give up Barney when he's good and ready."

EAWest
October 18th, 2012, 02:46 PM
This sounds like a great read EA. During my research for Kill Shot I read a lot about PTSD and the woman medic I interviewed told me quite a bit about the amazing service dogs that are being used to help these brave men and women.

I learned about them the other way around. I ended up talking to people who have service dogs and found out they can be used to help with psychiatric disabilities, including PTSD. They're amazing canines, and I love how they're able to help so many people with any number of disabilities.

EAWest
October 18th, 2012, 02:49 PM
If anyone's interested in learning more about psychiatric service dogs, I recently wrote a guest post about them for USA Today's Happy Ever After blog. I included a bit of information on what exactly these special dogs do to help their humans. http://www.usatoday.com/story/happyeverafter/2012/10/08/ea-west-jordans-battle-service-dogs/1621829/

EAWest
October 18th, 2012, 02:51 PM

Have fun.

Cindy A. Christiansen

Hi, Cindy! It's good to see you! I always find you so inspiring with the way you overcome so many challenges to write.

Laurean
October 18th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Thank you, Cindy. You are a talented writer. No, life hasn't slowed for me. I just took a breather to join the Sweeties in the chat room for a bit. Got to get to writing, now, or the day will soon be gone. My goal is 1,000 per day, but If I can get 2,000, it will make up for "zilch" yesterday.

May God continue to bless your writing.

Great excerpt, Laurean, and great to talk with you again. Life has been crazy busy. Sounds like this are going better.

Cindy

CindyDragonfly
October 18th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Cindy, First let me say - Bless Your Heart! I have a sister with a child on the low end of the spectrum. I cannot imagine the challenges of two.
Secondly, Miss Mae and I were just discussing we are both dog lovers too. I would love to know which of your books contain dogs or is it all of them?! I love dogs in the stories.

So wonderful to meet you! Yes, all my books have dogs in them and they're featured on the covers too. I'll do some posting.
I have two dogs of my own: Callie, a Jack Russell Terrier and Sprite, a Schnauzer

I must admit writing and Jiffy, a Wire-haired Fox Terrier, (my first dog when I was married) literally saved my life. I was totally bed-ridden and between writing and Jiffy, I survived!

And, yes, autism is very difficult to deal with-especially with both my kids having it. Things come up pretty much every day and some days you just don't feel like facing it. But, we all have our troubles and my boys are wonderful! Thanks for sharing about your sister's child.

CindyDragonfly
October 18th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Thank you, Cindy. You are a talented writer. No, life hasn't slowed for me. I just took a breather to join the Sweeties in the chat room for a bit. Got to get to writing, now, or the day will soon be gone. My goal is 1,000 per day, but If I can get 2,000, it will make up for "zilch" yesterday.

May God continue to bless your writing.

That's wonderful you can get so much done, Laurean! I was thinking of your mother. Is she doing better?

EAWest
October 18th, 2012, 02:55 PM

Blurb:

Autumn Reger is no stranger to mistakes--she's made more than enough to last a lifetime. Unfortunately, the consequences of those mistakes and her distrust of men keep haunting her.

Keith Burke served his country with honor, but his service in Afghanistan ended with a roadside bomb. The emotional and physical scars leave him wondering if he'll ever be able to make a friend or find true love.

Can two wounded hearts heal the scars of the past to find the future God has planned for them?

Excerpt:

The Haven Falls Community Center echoed with laughter of happy children and adults. Keith Burke leaned against the wall, wishing he were anywhere else. Why had he let his pastor talk him into coming?

Because Pastor Joe threatened to talk to Mom and Dad about my depression.

His parents couldn’t deal with any more. That’s why Keith had gone to his pastor in the first place. Seeing a professional counselor was out of the question, since it would mean explaining to his parents why he needed a ride to the appointment. The church was close enough for him to walk.

Of course, if he hadn’t lost the sight in one eye, he could probably drive himself wherever he needed to go. But wishing the past hadn’t happened changed nothing.

A woman came into the crowded room who didn’t look any happier to be here than he was. Keith straightened as he studied her. Shiny black hair brushed the tops of her shoulders, her tan complexion fairly glowed, and she had a figure to die for.

Maybe the pastor had done him a favor by insisting he come.

~~

Healing in Haven Falls is available as an ebook from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Healing-in-Haven-Falls-ebook/dp/B004M8SECM) and Pelican Book Group (http://www.pelicanbookgroup.com/ec/healing-in-haven-falls).

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 02:59 PM
My SF endeavor. :)

<!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> “Damn.” With a frustrated sigh, Vexen demanded of the hologram, “Has the virus disrupted all our communications?”

“Not if I can help it.”

“Concentrate heavily on that area. It’s essential we keep the coms going.”

“Agreed. And let’s start with straight communication between the two of us. Don’t refer to me as an ‘it’.”

She’d sent an anxious glance at Remard’s monitor, but that comment spun her on her heel to throw her full attention at Leland’s double. “You are an ‘it’. Nothing more, nothing less.”

“I’m more than nothing. And I have a name. Use it.”

Apprehension crawled along her scalp to slink down the back of her neck and clench the muscles between her shoulder blades. Then, just as quickly, a hot flash of anger made her see red.

“You’re not Leland. You can’t use his name.” She gave a wild gesture of her hand toward the port window. “Look. You’re a hologram. You don’t have a reflection like I do. You are programmed to only combat this virus. So, damnit, get a move on and do what my husband created you to do!”

“You’ll have to call me something, and I won’t respond to ‘it’.”

She had no time to remark. From Remard’s monitor came the whine of his pistol issuing rapidly repeating discharges. Vexen whirled, pasting a stunned stare at the screen. “DELLA, identify!”

“One second, Vexen. I’m accessing data.”

With a growing sense of horror, Vexen watched a monstrous blob emerge from the hold of the cargo bay. Numerous appendages unfolded, extending limb-like. A pair of antennae sprouted upwards, snapping to attention in Remard’s direction. He fired his pistol again, but the shots disappeared with a loud sucking noise when they struck the mass of quivering blackness.

Vexen’s mouth dropped open. “What is that thing?” Again, she commanded the computer, “Identify that creature, DELLA!”

“Vexan, I’m sorry but I’m unable to comply. [I]Registry of Documented Life Forms in Quatrum Section Ten has been corrupted.”

“The virus destroyed the files so we wouldn’t be able to learn how to contain this -- this -- whatever it is.” Realization hit hard, and she knew a moment of utter, total bewilderment. Why would a pirate sabotage us? What can he possibly want from a supply ship?

“The alien life form is impervious to Lieutenant Remard’s molecular pistol.” DELLA stated the observation factually, and then gave a warning beep. “The weapon’s charge has been drained to a dangerous level.”

Spurred out of her stupefaction, Vexen rammed into motion. Slapping a couple of neutron grenades to the sides of her belt, she then grabbed a container of medical aids. Pressing the lock to the exit door, she flung across her shoulder, “Leland, kill that damn virus!”

As she raced down the hallway, she cursed herself. Hell, I called him Leland.

Visit my website. (http://www.themissmaesite.com)

CindyDragonfly
October 18th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Hi, Cindy! It's good to see you! I always find you so inspiring with the way you overcome so many challenges to write.

Thank you! Despite an unwell body, God has given me the blessings of optimism and hope!
I love living through my characters. They get to do so much more than me. (lol)
I love sharing my joy of writing and my love of dogs.
I hope that comes out in my books.

Thanks again, EA.

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 03:00 PM

Blurb:

Autumn Reger is no stranger to mistakes--she's made more than enough to last a lifetime. Unfortunately, the consequences of those mistakes and her distrust of men keep haunting her.

Keith Burke served his country with honor, but his service in Afghanistan ended with a roadside bomb. The emotional and physical scars leave him wondering if he'll ever be able to make a friend or find true love.

Can two wounded hearts heal the scars of the past to find the future God has planned for them?

Excerpt:

The Haven Falls Community Center echoed with laughter of happy children and adults. Keith Burke leaned against the wall, wishing he were anywhere else. Why had he let his pastor talk him into coming?

Because Pastor Joe threatened to talk to Mom and Dad about my depression.

His parents couldn’t deal with any more. That’s why Keith had gone to his pastor in the first place. Seeing a professional counselor was out of the question, since it would mean explaining to his parents why he needed a ride to the appointment. The church was close enough for him to walk.

Of course, if he hadn’t lost the sight in one eye, he could probably drive himself wherever he needed to go. But wishing the past hadn’t happened changed nothing.

A woman came into the crowded room who didn’t look any happier to be here than he was. Keith straightened as he studied her. Shiny black hair brushed the tops of her shoulders, her tan complexion fairly glowed, and she had a figure to die for.

Maybe the pastor had done him a favor by insisting he come.

~~

Healing in Haven Falls is available as an ebook from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Healing-in-Haven-Falls-ebook/dp/B004M8SECM) and Pelican Book Group (http://www.pelicanbookgroup.com/ec/healing-in-haven-falls).

Ooh, I like this! :)

EAWest
October 18th, 2012, 03:01 PM

<!--><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> “Damn.” With a frustrated sigh, Vexen demanded of the hologram, “Has the virus disrupted all our communications?”

“Not if I can help it.”

“Agreed. And let’s start with straight communication between the two of us. Don’t refer to me as an ‘it’.”

She’d sent an anxious glance at Remard’s monitor, but that comment spun her on her heel to throw her full attention at Leland’s double. “You are an ‘it’. Nothing more, nothing less.”

Apprehension crawled along her scalp to slink down the back of her neck and clench the muscles between her shoulder blades. Then, just as quickly, a hot flash of anger made her see red.

“You’re not Leland. You can’t use his name.” She gave a wild gesture of her hand toward the port window. “Look. You’re a hologram. You don’t have a reflection like I do. You are programmed to only combat this virus. So, damnit, get a move on and do what my husband created you to do!”

She had no time to remark. From Remard’s monitor came the whine of his pistol issuing rapidly repeating discharges. Vexen whirled, pasting a stunned stare at the screen. “DELLA, identify!”

With a growing sense of horror, Vexen watched a monstrous blob emerge from the hold of the cargo bay. Numerous appendages unfolded, extending limb-like. A pair of antennae sprouted upwards, snapping to attention in Remard’s direction. He fired his pistol again, but the shots disappeared with a loud sucking noise when they struck the mass of quivering blackness.

Vexen’s mouth dropped open. “What is that thing?” Again, she commanded the computer, “Identify that creature, DELLA!”

“Vexan, I’m sorry but I’m unable to comply. [I]Registry of Documented Life Forms in Quatrum Section Ten has been corrupted.”

“The virus destroyed the files so we wouldn’t be able to learn how to contain this -- this -- whatever it is.” Realization hit hard, and she knew a moment of utter, total bewilderment. Why would a pirate sabotage us? What can he possibly want from a supply ship?

“The alien life form is impervious to Lieutenant Remard’s molecular pistol.” DELLA stated the observation factually, and then gave a warning beep. “The weapon’s charge has been drained to a dangerous level.”

Spurred out of her stupefaction, Vexen rammed into motion. Slapping a couple of neutron grenades to the sides of her belt, she then grabbed a container of medical aids. Pressing the lock to the exit door, she flung across her shoulder, “Leland, kill that damn virus!”

I loved this story! You write SF as well as you write mysteries. :)

MoreThanaReview
October 18th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Miss Mae, where do I find the video trailers on your website? or do you have a YouTube channel?

“Not if I can help it.”

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Sweeties, I'm taking a break for right now. I've been here since noon, and it's close to my doggies feeding time. LOL

Chat away, and I'll check back in later.

Donna, thanks so much for coming over! :)

CindyDragonfly
October 18th, 2012, 03:03 PM
If anyone's interested in learning more about psychiatric service dogs, I recently wrote a guest post about them for USA Today's Happy Ever After blog. I included a bit of information on what exactly these special dogs do to help their humans. http://www.usatoday.com/story/happyeverafter/2012/10/08/ea-west-jordans-battle-service-dogs/1621829/

Awesome article about service dogs! Thanks so much for sharing!

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Miss Mae, where do I find the video trailers on your website? or do you have a YouTube channel?

I have a video on each page. I mean, each book has a separate page at my site and I have a video up (except for Miss Penelope's Letters and Fated Destiny, which will come in time).

For instance, visit this page (http://www.themissmaesite.com/p/through-glass-darkly.html) to watch the video for Through a Glass Darkly. Hope you enjoy! :)

MoreThanaReview
October 18th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks, I will check them out. Great to meet you today.

I have a video on each page. I mean, each book has a separate page at my site and I have a video up (except for Miss Penelope's Letters and Fated Destiny, which will come in time).

For instance, visit this page (http://www.themissmaesite.com/p/through-glass-darkly.html) to watch the video for Through a Glass Darkly. Hope you enjoy! :)

EAWest
October 18th, 2012, 03:11 PM
With the mention of autism, I figure it's time to post the blurb and excerpt for The Key to Charlotte. Writing an autistic heroine finally gave me a way to use my firsthand knowledge of what it's like living with autism. :)

Blurb:

Charlotte Harris can't speak due to a quirk in her autistic brain, but that doesn't stop her from communicating with others. Unfortunately, it prevents her from achieving two of her dreams--to praise God through singing and to carry on a simple conversation with her own voice.

Zakaria Rush is the new Director of Children's Ministries at Charlotte's church, and he can't keep his thoughts off the partially mute blonde with a love for guitar music. Her innocence and love of the simple things in life intrigue him and make him long to give her what she wants more than anything: her voice.

Can Zakaria help Charlotte find the key to unlocking her ability to speak, or will his attempt to help her only lock away their chance for love?

Excerpt:

Charlotte switched off the vacuum and breathed a sigh of relief. The silence in the small church was pure bliss. She pulled the plug from the wall and coiled the cord around the top of the vacuum, then returned it to the janitorial closet in the basement. Turning around, she pulled out her cell phone and checked for reminders.

Take the rag bucket home.

Yes, she needed to wash the rags and kitchen towels. She returned the phone to her pocket and grabbed the bucket handle. As she headed upstairs, she heard the sound of a guitar coming from the sanctuary. Was someone playing a CD? It sounded like live music, but she'd never heard anyone in the church play a guitar.

Drawn by the soothing strains of the strings, she turned right at the top of the stairs.

No one ever came in the church while she was cleaning. The entire congregation knew her schedule--Tuesday and Saturday afternoons--and they always made sure to come at a different time. Charlotte had never been sure if it was because they didn't want to get in her way or if her parents had talked to them about the importance of routine for her. When she was little, she'd gotten upset by people showing up unannounced, but now that she was twenty-three, she liked to think she could handle surprises a little better.

She peered through the open doorway and saw a man sitting on the edge of the platform by the plain wooden altar playing a battered acoustic guitar.

Her breath caught in her throat and her heart raced as she studied him. Not only was he a talented musician, he was gorgeous, more gorgeous than anyone she'd ever seen in this small Indiana town. His black hair was a little shaggy but stylish; his straight nose, high cheekbones, and tan complexion made her think of Native Americans and Italians; his lean build clothed in faded blue jeans, an olive green T-shirt, and worn-in sneakers, made him look laid back. Peace filled his face as he strummed his guitar. The corners of his mouth turned up slightly, making Charlotte wonder if the sound of a guitar brought him as much joy as it did her.

Suddenly, he stopped playing and looked up at her. She tightened her grasp on the bucket handle.

He studied her with the most beautiful, warm brown eyes she'd ever seen. His smile caused her heart to flutter. "Hi there. Are you Charlotte?"

She nodded.

He didn't seem to mind that she shifted her weight back and forth. Just as well. If she didn't rock to release it, the nervous energy building under his gaze would make her cry.

"Pastor Ed told me I might run into you if I came this afternoon. I'm Zakaria Rush, the new director of children's ministries." He laid his guitar across his knees and chuckled, a deep, rich sound that warmed Charlotte clear through. "It's a fancy title for a guy who didn't want to grow up and found a way to turn it into a career."

~~

The Key to Charlotte is available as an ebook from Pelican Book Group (http://www.pelicanbookgroup.com/ec/the-key-to-charlotte), Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/The-Key-to-Charlotte-ebook/dp/B0060D5YC0), and Barnes and Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-key-to-charlotte-ea-west/1106993907?ean=2940013237346).

EAWest
October 18th, 2012, 03:18 PM
This is my other sweet romance featuring a service dog, a guide dog this time.

Blurb:

A visit to the Highland games goes awry for Alasdair Buchanan when his cousin abandons him in the crowd. His guide dog is terrible at describing the sights, but he does a great job of finding the river. Too bad Alasdair has no clue where that river is in relation to his cousin’s apartment.

When Trisha Wright stops to speak with him in her angelic voice, Alasdair is certain his cousin did him a favor by abandoning him. Trisha loves the Scot’s flirtatious ways and basks in his compliments, but she can’t shake the fear that he’ll hate her when he learns the truth about her—a truth everyone can see but him.

Excerpt:

The footsteps stopped beside him, and an angelic female voice with a drab American accent spoke. “That’s a pretty dog. What’s its name?”

“Foster.” Alasdair’s pulse quickened. The lass sounded close to his age of twenty-four and drop-dead gorgeous. Of course, she could be fifty and ugly as sin, but a pretty voice affected him now the same way a pretty face had when he could see. “I’d let you pet him, but he’s working. When he’s off his harness, he’s the friendliest dog you could ever hope to meet.”

“Well, now, you’re certainly not from around here.” The teasing lilt in her voice made him wish he could see if there was a matching twinkle in her eyes—eyes he would love to know the color of. “Did you come all the way from Scotland just to visit our Highland games?”

He chuckled and shook his head. “No, I came to visit my cousin. We came to the games together, but he abandoned me for his girlfriend.” Something about the young woman prompted him to make a vaguely humiliating request. He laced it with a humorous tone to help protect his pride. “I don’t suppose you’re the kind o’ lass who would take pity on a blind old Scot, are you?”

Her laughed sounded as clear and light as a crystal bell. “Old? You? Not hardly. You can’t be any older than me, and I’m only twenty-three.”

“Ah, lass, I hate to tell you, but you’re wrong.” He grinned as he imagined her eyes widen in surprise. “I’m twenty-four.”

“I stand corrected.” Her amusement brought a smile to his heart. This lass was definitely to his liking. “So, why do you want me to take pity on you?”

Now for the embarrassing part. “I’m lost. I haven’t a clue where I am, other than standing in the grass by a river.”

“You’re in Wilson Park, with St. Mary’s River in front of you and the Highland games behind you. Clinton Avenue is a few hundred yards to your left and Lafayette Street is nearly as far to your right. A few feet to either side of you are maple trees full of brilliant green leaves.”

For the first time since arriving in America, he lost the disorientation. And the lass’ descriptions gave him hope she might wander through the games with him. With her telling him about the sights, he might be able to form an accurate image in his mind.

“Thank you.” He smiled in the direction of her voice. If only he knew how tall she was, then he could be sure he smiled at her face rather than over her head or at her shoulder. “My name’s Alasdair Buchanan, by the way.”

“Trisha Wright,” she said in the voice he could listen to for hours.

~~

Imperfect Beauty is available as an ebook from Astraea Press (http://astraeapress.com/#ecwid:category=662267&mode=product&product=10078484), Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Imperfect-Beauty-ebook/dp/B007VPVAP6), and Barnes and Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/books/1110282551?ean=2940014531184).

CindyDragonfly
October 18th, 2012, 03:25 PM

Not Quite Zen

Sweet Contemporary Romantic Suspense

Secret Cravings Publishing

4/11/12 - ISBN: 9781618852434 (ebook)
ASIN: B007UQ4LU2 (Kindle)
7/5/12 - ISBN: 9781618853226 (print)

Therapy dog trainer and hospice aide Harmony Hastings takes a much needed Zen vacation only to return to sheer chaos at the Silver Sunset Senior Community. Who is the new, gorgeous, young doctor and why has old Doc Barlow disappeared? Why are residents being harmed?

Can Harmony keep her chakras in balance long enough to figure out the mystery before one of the baby boomers ends up dead? Is the mysterious doctor the guilty party, or is he only guilty of giving Harmony a terminal case of love?

BUY LINKS AT: http://www.dragonflyromance.com/books/not-quite-zen

Excerpt:
Harmony looked in the restroom mirror and ran her fingers through her hair, trying to get it to lay in some kind of order. Hopeless. Her mint-green sweatshirt certainly didn’t compliment her striped, blue, pencil-shaped skirt, but then neither did the torn, bloodstained blouse she still had on underneath. Oh well. If she could make it to lunch, maybe she could run home and change. At least it had started to dry. And why wouldn’t it? They kept the heat at ninety degrees year round. She’d never understand why old people liked it so hot. She’d be steam-boiled in an hour wearing this heavy sweatshirt. Only needing a summer wardrobe turned out to be one of the perks of working here. She fussed with her hair in one last attempt and then shrugged.
Nicole burst through the door. “What do you think of our new, hot doctor?” she asked. “Isn’t he gorgeous? All manly and everything. I can’t believe you made him operate on a…a dog?” She continued on into a stall. “You won’t believe what’s been happening around here. Things have been wacky ever since Dr. Warrick got here. Why do you think Dr. Barlow would take a leave of absence all of a sudden? He never has before. One day he was here, and the next he was gone. We never even saw him, didn’t even know he was going. We could’ve thrown him a party. And where did they come up with this new Dr. Hotty on such short notice? Not that I mind. He is so attractive. Of course it makes me sick to see all these old—these elderly women drooling all over him. Not that I blame them. He definitely is hot. The only thing is, I can’t find any information on our new doctor at all. He’s not from around here, not even Salt Lake.”
The toilet flushed.
“And in the short time you were gone,” Nicole prattled on, “we’ve had two almost fatal accidents. Two,” Nicole wailed, coming out of the stall and straightening her skirt. “You still look a mess.” She moved to the sink.
“Thanks,” Harmony returned. “What kind of accidents? To whom?”
“Residents. If it hadn’t been for Dr. Warrick, I don’t know what we’d have done.”
“Nicole, could you slow down and explain?”
“Well, Eddie Jockisch was in the exercise room. Connie stepped out, and the stand on the bench press buckled when he tried to put the weight back up. The barbell almost crushed him. He has a black eye.”
“What happened then?” Harmony asked intrigued. Nothing like that had ever happened while she’d worked here.
“Dr. Warrick saved his life.” Nicole shook the excess water from her hands.
“You mean, he was in the exercise room?”
“Yes. He was working out himself. Isn’t he handsome? So strong and…virile.”
Harmony nodded. There was no denying his attractiveness.
But, she couldn’t ignore the fact that he just happened to be on hand. Huh. Why would she be suspicious? That wasn’t really her nature. Dang it. It was too. She had become a distrustful, doubting ninny since the death of her parents. No. She had no reason to be thinking along those lines about Dr. Warrick.
“What else, Nicole?” she prodded.
“Well, Mrs. Kammerer’s oxygen alarm went off.”
“Her alarm goes off all the time. She always forgets to connect it to her CPAP machine at night.”
“No, no, no. Agnes said someone tried to smother her with a pillow.”
“It probably just felt like that when she couldn’t breathe.” A lump settled in Harmony’s throat.
Nicole threw her paper towel at the garbage can and missed. “Dr. Warrick had to resuscitate her.”
“Are you kidding me?”
Nicole nodded. “Really. Poor Agnes is afraid to go to sleep at night.”
“Didn’t Mrs. Lambert see anything? She’s her roommate.”
“Gladys was at the pool watching the male residents in their swim trunks. She keeps trying to get her daughter to buy her a bikini. Heaven help us all if she does. Honestly, I can’t remember ever having this much excitement at the community. Can you?” Nicole asked.
Harmony shook her head. She caught a glimpse of her own startled expression in the mirror and quickly veiled the emotion. Incidents happened around here all the time. Well, not all the time, not really—sickness and a few broken bones maybe. They had an excellent record compared to most assisted-living communities. They had one of the longest waiting lists in the state. Although wonderful, the nursing home section of the community where residents needed full-time care turned out to be a place seniors ended up rather than requested. If a resident in the assisted living area became seriously ill, they received priority in the nursing home wing.
Senior facilities were lacking across the country due to the surge of baby boomers reaching old age. They were now the largest demographic group, and there was a shortage of geriatric doctors and nurses. Heaven forbid her grandpa would ever need to be in a nursing home. But if he did, Harmony hoped she’d be able to afford Silver Sunset.
“Good thing Dr. Hotty was around,” Nicole said.
“Isn’t it, though?” Harmony bit her lip and frowned.
It was good Dr. Warrick had been on hand to take care of things. She’d just feel better if she’d talked to Doc Barlow herself before he’d disappeared. Why wouldn’t he have mentioned something about taking a sabbatical before she left? He’d have to have known, or at least been thinking about a break. How else could they’ve gotten another doctor to replace him so quickly?
“Any ideas where Doc might’ve gone?” she asked.

CindyDragonfly
October 18th, 2012, 03:30 PM

Hazardous Hideaway

(The Royal Pain - reissued with changes)

3/7/12 - ISBN: 9781618852038 (ebook)
ASIN: B007H8J0T0 (Kindle)
5/27/12 - ISBN: 9781618852793 (paperback)

Riding a bucking bronco would be easier than the ride Dallas Mae Jenkins is on. While escaping an abusive relationship, she ends up in a wreck and stranded at a remote dairy in Utah. Worse yet, the presence of her horse whips up memories of an old town murder, and Dallas finds herself in serious danger.

The last thing Tom Allred needs is a wily female working at his dairy, especially one dragging up a murder he was accused of committing. Will Tom’s antacids hold out until he can get rid of Dallas? Or, will she lasso his heart?

BUY LINKS AT: http://www.dragonflyromance.com/books/hazardous-hideaway

Excerpt:

Tom left his trailer headed for Ina’s, determination in each step. He had every word set in his mind as to what he’d say to her. His logic was simple enough. The old woman could certainly understand logic. He had the cash in his pocket for her to give to Dallas which would more than pay for her truck repairs and her expenses out of town. He sighed with satisfaction. Dallas would soon be as scarce around here as hen’s teeth. His gut felt better already.
He reached for the screen door, but his eye caught sight of Ina in the corn patch. He headed in her direction, hopeful his plan would work.
“Mornin’, Ina.”
“Not as hot today.”
“Nope.”
“Could you hand me that other bucket?” she asked, picking another ear of corn.
He handed her the rusty bucket and cleared his throat. “Ina, I—”
“Could ya pick a few ears while you’re talking, Tom. Dallas and I wanted to get the rest of this picked before it gets too late in the day.”
“Hi,” Dallas said, walking up behind him.
Holy cow, now she’s here.
“Here’s some more buckets,” she said, looking all pretty in her rosebud shirt.
“Ina, I really need to talk to you alone,” he explained.
“Oh, I need to talk to you too. It’s time for the San Pitch Social. Well, I been forgetting to mention that I offered to provide the beef for the barbeque this year.”
“Forgettin’ to mention! That’s in a week! Those beef need to be dressed out, cooled and hung to age. You should’ve told me before this.”
“Now, Tom, there’s still time. You missed a couple of ears.”
He wanted to throttle her. Cuss words were the only words coming to mind.
“You’ll love the San Pitch Social, Dallas,” Ina said. “We go every year. It’s our July 24th celebration for when the Utah pioneers settled this valley. And Tom, ya need to buy Dallas a duck.”
“A duck?” Dallas questioned.
“Look, Ina, I really need to talk to ya.” He ripped an ear of corn from the stem and felt the niblets popping in his hand underneath the shucks.
“This year you buy a chance to win a mule by placing your name on a rubber duck. Then they take them up the canyon and release them down the San Pitch River. The first one down wins the mule.”
“Honestly, I don’t need a mule. I have a horse.”
Ina giggled with laughter.
“Ina?” Tom tried to interrupt.
“Not a real mule, Dallas Mae, one of those four-wheeler kinds.”
“Oh. I can’t go to a barbeque. I don’t have a thing to wear. All I have is two shirts and a pair of jeans. Thanks, anyway,” Dallas stated.
“I have some old things of Venna’s you can wear, and there’s makeup and stuff of hers in the bathroom. Sure, ya have to go.”
“Ina?” Tom tried again.
“You go over to the Gas and Go in Manti and buy us all another duck, Tom. There’s money in my purse on the counter.”
“Would ya...would ya listen to me, old woman?”
Ina paused. “You’re not shucking. What’s the matter?”
“Look, I’ll get the beef ready for ya, but somebody else is gonna have to take it to the barbeque and cook it for ya ‘cause I’m not goin’. Now, can I talk to ya about somethin’ else?”
“But I already talked to Cora. Your whole family is coming up from Richfield this year. Carry these buckets over to the shade for us so we can get it shucked.”
He picked up four five gallon buckets and carried the whole lot to the shade of the cottonwood tree where they’d already set up the picnic table. Hunch and Roundup raced around his feet. Gracie rested under the old table.
“I ain’t goin’. I-I’ll go buy the danged ducks, but I ain’t goin’,” he seethed.
“Don’t buy me a duck,” Dallas reasoned. “I don’t know what I’d do with a mule.”
Tom whirled around, frowning. “You stay out of this.”
“Just look at this,” Ina exclaimed. “Dallas showed me a new way to shuck corn. In all my born days, look at this.” She cut off the end of the cob with her knife, unwrapped the shucks and then wiped off the silk with a towel.
Tom took off his hat, wiping at the sweat. “I like pullin’ the shucks off better.”
“This is easier on my hands.”
Tom quickened his pace, proving his way to be faster, cleaner and better.
“I know ya don’t want to go, Tom, but I need for you to go. No one can cook a beef like you can. It would be a disaster without ya. You know I need you to represent us. You know I need ya—”
“All right, old woman, but I’m not helpin’ ya shuck your rotten corn.” Acid bore a hole the size of Texas in his gut. He stomped off meaner than a new sheared sheep. Could he ever once get anywhere with her? She’d finagled him again.
He kicked up dust as he headed for his truck. Now he had two beef to kill, ducks to buy, the social to go to and Dallas around to boot.
Could things get any worse? He didn’t see how on God’s green earth they could.

CindyDragonfly
October 18th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Okay, I'm buying this one, Imperfect Beauty! Can't wait!

Cindy

CindyDragonfly
October 18th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Wow, EA! I have just got to read The Key to Charlotte, too!
In my book, Love on Laird Avenue, the hero has Attention Deficit Disorder but was never diagnosed.
It's one of my readers favorite books. Mine, too, I guess because I based it on someone I know.
I'll share that book later.
My son is antsy to get to the store.

Cind

CindyDragonfly
October 18th, 2012, 03:51 PM

I'm very excited to announce the Sweetest Romance Awards Contest.

I recently went to a writer's conference and announced I was a sweet romance author. The teacher and the class looked at me like I'd spoken in a foreign tongue. (lol) He stopped the whole class and questioned me as to just what a SWEET romance author is.

I have one of my Google alerts set to sweet romance and when I check out the sites, I find all kinds of books, including erotica. In hopes of spreading the word about just what sweet romance is all about, I came up with the Sweetest Romance Awards.

I'd love for everyone to share the information about it and help promote it. Here's the details:

Sweetest Romance Awards Contest
If you are a true sweet romance writer, we have the contest for you!
Find out more details at:http://www.<wbr>dragonflyromance.com/home/<wbr>sweetest-romance-awards (http://www.dragonflyromance.com/home/sweetest-romance-awards)

Guidelines:
For published and unpublished authors.
(Published entries must be copyrighted 2010 or later.)
Submit your first 10 pages inside the body of your email. (No attachments.)
Entries must be received by December 15, 2012.
Submit entry to dragonflyromance@hotmail.<wbr>com (dragonflyromance@hotmail.com).
Please put SWEETEST ROMANCE AWARDS in subject line.
Cost to enter is $10.00 per entry.
Make payment at: http://www.<wbr>dragonflyromance.com/home/<wbr>sweetest-romance-awards (http://www.dragonflyromance.com/home/sweetest-romance-awards)
Payment must be made through Paypal.

Winners will be announced on Valentine’s Day, February, 2013.

Prizes
First prize: A $25.00 egift card to Barnes and Noble or Amazon, a printed award certificate, your choice of two books by published sweet romance authors, social media promotion, and an award button to display on website or blog.

Second prize: A $15.00 egift card to Barnes and Noble or Amazon, a free critique by one of the judges, a printed award certificate, social media promotion, and an award button to display on website or blog.

Third prize: A $10.00 egift card to Barnes and Noble or Amazon, a free critique by one of the judges, a printed award certificate, social media promotion, and an award button to display on website or blog.

CindyDragonfly
October 18th, 2012, 03:57 PM
If you write sweet romance and you want to enter, that's awesome!

If you would like to help judge, that would be great too!

If you would like to donate prizes to the winners and get some publicity, that would be fantastic!

If you'd like to do more than one of the above, I'll kiss your feet! (Well, maybe not.)

Thanks. I hope this will help our group of excellent and talented writers. I hate to think readers are missing out on such a wonderful genre because they don't understand what it is.

And just in case you think it won't amount to much, I've already received entries!

Find out more information at: http://www.dragonflyromance.com/home/sweetest-romance-awards

EAWest
October 18th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Cindy, the Sweetest Romance Awards is a great idea! I think sweet romance is gaining popularity, but there are still so many people who don't realize this wonderful genre exists. I'm sure this contest will go a long way toward bringing attention to sweet romance.

EAWest
October 18th, 2012, 04:12 PM
This one is my only romantic suspense so far.

Blurb:

Trapped in a flooded hospital, former Israeli operative Jade Rosen discovers she’s not alone. One of the other stranded patients is none other than the cold-blooded killer she'd left behind in a Syrian prison, the man who had forced her to leave everyone she loved behind and go into hiding.

Indiana National Guardsman Riley Jackson is on a mission to locate and contain a cunning terrorist whose guards aren’t responding. He finds more than he bargained for when the woman he loves appears out of nowhere, desperately ill and once again needing his protection.

Will Jade and Riley finally find their happy ending, or will they pay the ultimate price at the hands of a man determined to see Jade dead?

Excerpt:

Raised voices caught her attention and she opened her eyes. One of the voices spoke English, but the other shouted in Arabic. Jade’s heart raced and she trembled at the sound of the Arabic voice.

It couldn’t be him. She’d left him in a Syrian prison.

She climbed out of bed and went to the door. No matter how horrible she felt, she had to know if it was him. She followed the sound of the quieting voices and peered around the corner. In a glass-walled room lay Aziz Khadoul. He was having a heated discussion with a brown-haired man wearing an outfit identical to Gibson’s. The soldier looked almost like...

It couldn’t be. She hadn’t seen him since Kuwait. Jade backed away and leaned against the wall, fighting terror at the sight of the man responsible for her evacuation to the United States in the company of a man she knew well.

She made her way to an empty wheelchair parked a few feet away and dropped into the seat. Lowering her head to her hands, she tried to figure out how Khadoul had ended up in Grant County General Hospital. How had he even made it into the United States?

No matter how he’d gotten here, he couldn’t see her. He’d attempted to kill her before, and she had no doubt he’d try again, no matter how sick he was. Moisture stung her eyes. She’d fought so long and hard to stop him from killing anyone.

“Ma’am, are you all right?”

Jade lifted her head and found Gibson watching her. Before she could respond, she noticed the brown-haired man with him, the same man who had spoken with Khadoul.

She hadn’t been wrong.

~~

Riley's Mission is available as an ebook from The Wild Rose Press (http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3961), Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055HRKCO), and Barnes and Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/rileys-mission-ea-west/1103518937?ean=2940012956590).

LarryH
October 18th, 2012, 04:40 PM
I'm back from my run. EA you've given so many choices and like someone else said I didn't realize you had so many novels out. I"ll try to pick a print one as I like to hold them in my hand. Miss Mae thanks for requesting an excerpt from one of my SF novels. I"ll pick something from my latest The Higher Mission. It holds the most promise of seeing publication at this point. It is 84,000 words long and hard to pick something from that. Let me compose a blurb for you at this point.
Joe Cramer, a widower in his fifties, must take on dangerous jobs in the solar system to provide funds for caring for his permanently ill daughter, Cindy. He is paired up with Mona Watson, a woman of late twenties who is an excellent mining expert as well. Arrogant, proned to take chances, she and Cramer get off to a rocky start. The jobs become more and more dangerous and little do they know they are being groomed for a higher mission by the solar system's tycoon, Brad Witherspoon. Cramer's higher mission will always be providing for his daughter and finally getting the treatments she needs to be cured. Witherspoon's higher mission is a first ever trip to a star, Sirius, some 8.6 light years distant. In the age of less than light speed it will take several years. He is ill and the alien race at Sirius has a cure for him.
Cramer must face so many challenges and dangers as well as battle with his own feelings for Mona whom he is falling for.
There you have it. Larry

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 05:03 PM
This is my other sweet romance featuring a service dog, a guide dog this time.

Blurb:

A visit to the Highland games goes awry for Alasdair Buchanan when his cousin abandons him in the crowd. His guide dog is terrible at describing the sights, but he does a great job of finding the river. Too bad Alasdair has no clue where that river is in relation to his cousin’s apartment.

When Trisha Wright stops to speak with him in her angelic voice, Alasdair is certain his cousin did him a favor by abandoning him. Trisha loves the Scot’s flirtatious ways and basks in his compliments, but she can’t shake the fear that he’ll hate her when he learns the truth about her—a truth everyone can see but him.

Excerpt:

The footsteps stopped beside him, and an angelic female voice with a drab American accent spoke. “That’s a pretty dog. What’s its name?”

“Foster.” Alasdair’s pulse quickened. The lass sounded close to his age of twenty-four and drop-dead gorgeous. Of course, she could be fifty and ugly as sin, but a pretty voice affected him now the same way a pretty face had when he could see. “I’d let you pet him, but he’s working. When he’s off his harness, he’s the friendliest dog you could ever hope to meet.”

“Well, now, you’re certainly not from around here.” The teasing lilt in her voice made him wish he could see if there was a matching twinkle in her eyes—eyes he would love to know the color of. “Did you come all the way from Scotland just to visit our Highland games?”

He chuckled and shook his head. “No, I came to visit my cousin. We came to the games together, but he abandoned me for his girlfriend.” Something about the young woman prompted him to make a vaguely humiliating request. He laced it with a humorous tone to help protect his pride. “I don’t suppose you’re the kind o’ lass who would take pity on a blind old Scot, are you?”

Her laughed sounded as clear and light as a crystal bell. “Old? You? Not hardly. You can’t be any older than me, and I’m only twenty-three.”

“Ah, lass, I hate to tell you, but you’re wrong.” He grinned as he imagined her eyes widen in surprise. “I’m twenty-four.”

“I stand corrected.” Her amusement brought a smile to his heart. This lass was definitely to his liking. “So, why do you want me to take pity on you?”

Now for the embarrassing part. “I’m lost. I haven’t a clue where I am, other than standing in the grass by a river.”

“You’re in Wilson Park, with St. Mary’s River in front of you and the Highland games behind you. Clinton Avenue is a few hundred yards to your left and Lafayette Street is nearly as far to your right. A few feet to either side of you are maple trees full of brilliant green leaves.”

For the first time since arriving in America, he lost the disorientation. And the lass’ descriptions gave him hope she might wander through the games with him. With her telling him about the sights, he might be able to form an accurate image in his mind.

“Thank you.” He smiled in the direction of her voice. If only he knew how tall she was, then he could be sure he smiled at her face rather than over her head or at her shoulder. “My name’s Alasdair Buchanan, by the way.”

“Trisha Wright,” she said in the voice he could listen to for hours.

~~

Imperfect Beauty is available as an ebook from Astraea Press (http://astraeapress.com/#ecwid:category=662267&mode=product&product=10078484), Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Imperfect-Beauty-ebook/dp/B007VPVAP6), and Barnes and Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/books/1110282551?ean=2940014531184).

This is wonderful, EA. :)

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 05:08 PM

Hazardous Hideaway

(The Royal Pain - reissued with changes)

3/7/12 - ISBN: 9781618852038 (ebook)
ASIN: B007H8J0T0 (Kindle)
5/27/12 - ISBN: 9781618852793 (paperback)

Riding a bucking bronco would be easier than the ride Dallas Mae Jenkins is on. While escaping an abusive relationship, she ends up in a wreck and stranded at a remote dairy in Utah. Worse yet, the presence of her horse whips up memories of an old town murder, and Dallas finds herself in serious danger.

The last thing Tom Allred needs is a wily female working at his dairy, especially one dragging up a murder he was accused of committing. Will Tom’s antacids hold out until he can get rid of Dallas? Or, will she lasso his heart?

BUY LINKS AT: http://www.dragonflyromance.com/books/hazardous-hideaway

Excerpt:

Tom left his trailer headed for Ina’s, determination in each step. He had every word set in his mind as to what he’d say to her. His logic was simple enough. The old woman could certainly understand logic. He had the cash in his pocket for her to give to Dallas which would more than pay for her truck repairs and her expenses out of town. He sighed with satisfaction. Dallas would soon be as scarce around here as hen’s teeth. His gut felt better already.
He reached for the screen door, but his eye caught sight of Ina in the corn patch. He headed in her direction, hopeful his plan would work.
“Mornin’, Ina.”
“Not as hot today.”
“Nope.”
“Could you hand me that other bucket?” she asked, picking another ear of corn.
He handed her the rusty bucket and cleared his throat. “Ina, I—”
“Could ya pick a few ears while you’re talking, Tom. Dallas and I wanted to get the rest of this picked before it gets too late in the day.”
“Hi,” Dallas said, walking up behind him.
Holy cow, now she’s here.
“Here’s some more buckets,” she said, looking all pretty in her rosebud shirt.
“Ina, I really need to talk to you alone,” he explained.
“Oh, I need to talk to you too. It’s time for the San Pitch Social. Well, I been forgetting to mention that I offered to provide the beef for the barbeque this year.”
“Forgettin’ to mention! That’s in a week! Those beef need to be dressed out, cooled and hung to age. You should’ve told me before this.”
“Now, Tom, there’s still time. You missed a couple of ears.”
He wanted to throttle her. Cuss words were the only words coming to mind.
“You’ll love the San Pitch Social, Dallas,” Ina said. “We go every year. It’s our July 24th celebration for when the Utah pioneers settled this valley. And Tom, ya need to buy Dallas a duck.”
“A duck?” Dallas questioned.
“Look, Ina, I really need to talk to ya.” He ripped an ear of corn from the stem and felt the niblets popping in his hand underneath the shucks.
“This year you buy a chance to win a mule by placing your name on a rubber duck. Then they take them up the canyon and release them down the San Pitch River. The first one down wins the mule.”
“Honestly, I don’t need a mule. I have a horse.”
Ina giggled with laughter.
“Ina?” Tom tried to interrupt.
“Not a real mule, Dallas Mae, one of those four-wheeler kinds.”
“Oh. I can’t go to a barbeque. I don’t have a thing to wear. All I have is two shirts and a pair of jeans. Thanks, anyway,” Dallas stated.
“I have some old things of Venna’s you can wear, and there’s makeup and stuff of hers in the bathroom. Sure, ya have to go.”
“Ina?” Tom tried again.
“You go over to the Gas and Go in Manti and buy us all another duck, Tom. There’s money in my purse on the counter.”
“Would ya...would ya listen to me, old woman?”
Ina paused. “You’re not shucking. What’s the matter?”
“Look, I’ll get the beef ready for ya, but somebody else is gonna have to take it to the barbeque and cook it for ya ‘cause I’m not goin’. Now, can I talk to ya about somethin’ else?”
“But I already talked to Cora. Your whole family is coming up from Richfield this year. Carry these buckets over to the shade for us so we can get it shucked.”
He picked up four five gallon buckets and carried the whole lot to the shade of the cottonwood tree where they’d already set up the picnic table. Hunch and Roundup raced around his feet. Gracie rested under the old table.
“I ain’t goin’. I-I’ll go buy the danged ducks, but I ain’t goin’,” he seethed.
“Don’t buy me a duck,” Dallas reasoned. “I don’t know what I’d do with a mule.”
Tom whirled around, frowning. “You stay out of this.”
“Just look at this,” Ina exclaimed. “Dallas showed me a new way to shuck corn. In all my born days, look at this.” She cut off the end of the cob with her knife, unwrapped the shucks and then wiped off the silk with a towel.
Tom took off his hat, wiping at the sweat. “I like pullin’ the shucks off better.”
“This is easier on my hands.”
Tom quickened his pace, proving his way to be faster, cleaner and better.
“I know ya don’t want to go, Tom, but I need for you to go. No one can cook a beef like you can. It would be a disaster without ya. You know I need you to represent us. You know I need ya—”
“All right, old woman, but I’m not helpin’ ya shuck your rotten corn.” Acid bore a hole the size of Texas in his gut. He stomped off meaner than a new sheared sheep. Could he ever once get anywhere with her? She’d finagled him again.
He kicked up dust as he headed for his truck. Now he had two beef to kill, ducks to buy, the social to go to and Dallas around to boot.
Could things get any worse? He didn’t see how on God’s green earth they could.

These excerpts are great, Cindy! :)

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I'm back from my run. EA you've given so many choices and like someone else said I didn't realize you had so many novels out. I"ll try to pick a print one as I like to hold them in my hand. Miss Mae thanks for requesting an excerpt from one of my SF novels. I"ll pick something from my latest The Higher Mission. It holds the most promise of seeing publication at this point. It is 84,000 words long and hard to pick something from that. Let me compose a blurb for you at this point.
Joe Cramer, a widower in his fifties, must take on dangerous jobs in the solar system to provide funds for caring for his permanently ill daughter, Cindy. He is paired up with Mona Watson, a woman of late twenties who is an excellent mining expert as well. Arrogant, proned to take chances, she and Cramer get off to a rocky start. The jobs become more and more dangerous and little do they know they are being groomed for a higher mission by the solar system's tycoon, Brad Witherspoon. Cramer's higher mission will always be providing for his daughter and finally getting the treatments she needs to be cured. Witherspoon's higher mission is a first ever trip to a star, Sirius, some 8.6 light years distant. In the age of less than light speed it will take several years. He is ill and the alien race at Sirius has a cure for him.
Cramer must face so many challenges and dangers as well as battle with his own feelings for Mona whom he is falling for.
There you have it. Larry

Here's hoping this becomes a print, Larry! :)

MoreThanaReview
October 18th, 2012, 05:29 PM
This one is definitely on my 'to be read' list:) Thanks for sharing an excerpt EA.

This one is my only romantic suspense so far.

Blurb:

Trapped in a flooded hospital, former Israeli operative Jade Rosen discovers she’s not alone. One of the other stranded patients is none other than the cold-blooded killer she'd left behind in a Syrian prison, the man who had forced her to leave everyone she loved behind and go into hiding.

Indiana National Guardsman Riley Jackson is on a mission to locate and contain a cunning terrorist whose guards aren’t responding. He finds more than he bargained for when the woman he loves appears out of nowhere, desperately ill and once again needing his protection.

Will Jade and Riley finally find their happy ending, or will they pay the ultimate price at the hands of a man determined to see Jade dead?

Excerpt:

Raised voices caught her attention and she opened her eyes. One of the voices spoke English, but the other shouted in Arabic. Jade’s heart raced and she trembled at the sound of the Arabic voice.

It couldn’t be him. She’d left him in a Syrian prison.

She climbed out of bed and went to the door. No matter how horrible she felt, she had to know if it was him. She followed the sound of the quieting voices and peered around the corner. In a glass-walled room lay Aziz Khadoul. He was having a heated discussion with a brown-haired man wearing an outfit identical to Gibson’s. The soldier looked almost like...

It couldn’t be. She hadn’t seen him since Kuwait. Jade backed away and leaned against the wall, fighting terror at the sight of the man responsible for her evacuation to the United States in the company of a man she knew well.

She made her way to an empty wheelchair parked a few feet away and dropped into the seat. Lowering her head to her hands, she tried to figure out how Khadoul had ended up in Grant County General Hospital. How had he even made it into the United States?

No matter how he’d gotten here, he couldn’t see her. He’d attempted to kill her before, and she had no doubt he’d try again, no matter how sick he was. Moisture stung her eyes. She’d fought so long and hard to stop him from killing anyone.

“Ma’am, are you all right?”

Jade lifted her head and found Gibson watching her. Before she could respond, she noticed the brown-haired man with him, the same man who had spoken with Khadoul.

She hadn’t been wrong.

~~

Riley's Mission is available as an ebook from The Wild Rose Press (http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3961), Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055HRKCO), and Barnes and Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/rileys-mission-ea-west/1103518937?ean=2940012956590).

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Donna, I created my profile at More Than a Review. Do I upload books? Or do I do nothing right now? :)

Still trying to find my way around there. LOL

LarryH
October 18th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks, Miss Mae. I should hear any day from Burst Books. This is the novel that has been through two revisions to try weeding out all the bad grammar. How did I ever make it through college? Larry

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 05:54 PM
I stated earlier that I'll have a contest. :)

If anyone is still hanging around at this hour (LOL), I want to have a contest for my book, "Said the Spider to the Fly."

Here is the question:

What are the two "Grandpa told you all about me" items?

You'll find the answer in my book trailer. Go to this page (http://www.themissmaesite.com/p/said-spider-to-fly.html) and view it (scroll down the page). When you find the answer, PM me here with the answer. The winner will receive a print copy (if they are in US), or a digital download if abroad.

Have fun! :)

LarryH
October 18th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Miss Mae, I'm still here but not feeling well. Larry

LarryH
October 18th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Miss Mae: If I'm right I must disqualify myself as I already have and read that novel. Larry

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Miss Mae: If I'm right I must disqualify myself as I already have and read that novel. Larry

You're right, Larry. You already have. :) Sorry to hear you're feeling unwell. Hope you feel better soon!

LarryH
October 18th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I'm so sorry, Miss Mae. I"ve ruined your contest. Hopefully, someone else will come in with the answer. Larry

LarryH
October 18th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Miss Mae I promised an excerpt from my SF novel The Higher Mission. Again I apologize for my memory loss on the contest prize. I probably was thinking of See No Evil My Pretty Lady.
Here is the excerpt from chapter two Europa Assignment.
The big tire of the rover startled him as it ground to a haltbeside him. He turned to face a blasterleveled at his mid section. The helmetedfigure of the pirate motioned angrily for him to get into their rover. Cramer didn’t have to be told twice. The blaster could kill with its high energybeam and it would be a tossup as to which would take his life first: thedecompression of his suit or the frying of his guts by the blaster beam. These men didn’t intend to rescue him bypicking him up, Cramer knew as well as Icarus’ orbit dipped inside Mercury’sorbit. They rode in silence until henoticed the attenuator reading on his receiver blink to a seven. The crater and building complex appeared ahead.<o:p></o:p>
“This isDirk. We have a member of yourcrew. We’ll deliver him safely if yougive us the storage tank with the blind fish,” Dirk said into his suit mike.<o:p></o:p>
“No deal,”the answer came over Cramer’s receiver as well. He recognized Sanchez’s voice.<o:p></o:p>
“Then we’llkill him,” Dirk replied, no hesitation, no uncertainty, no bluffing in hisvoice. Cramer sank to deep despair,picturing the proverbial plug nickel of higher worth than his life. He confirmed that feeling as he spotted ontop of the main building a large canon swiveled in their direction, itsspherical energy storage chamber behind the ribbed barrel glowing bright red.<o:p></o:p>
Simultaneously,the rover driver jumped out his door, Dirk reached across in front of Cramerfor the passenger side handle but Cramer beat him to it. He opened the door and leaped for the snowysurface just as the canon emitted a scarlet beam in their direction. The blast exploded the pirate’s rover into athousand pieces, the debris striking Cramer and sending him tumbling in spaceaway from the blast. In his somersaultinghe spotted Dirk flying above him, frozen entrails trailing his lifelessbody. Cramer couldn’t see the other manamong the tiny pieces of metal and plastic from the exploded rover.<o:p></o:p>
Hefelt his own suit losing pressure. Theself sealing mechanism kicked in and barely managed to handle the smallleak. He

lost consciousness as his oxygenpack provided him its last gasp of air. At the point of black out he saw Europa’s icy surface coming

up to meethim. His whole life seemed to flashbefore him like the time on Earth when he fell into the old fishing hole andalmost

drown forty years ago. The lastimage burning into his mind before oblivion was Cindy’s face in the Martianhospital.

This is how chapter two ended. Sort of reminds you of those exciting endings on your chapters of Winifred doesn't it?

Larry

CindyDragonfly
October 18th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Cindy, the Sweetest Romance Awards is a great idea! I think sweet romance is gaining popularity, but there are still so many people who don't realize this wonderful genre exists. I'm sure this contest will go a long way toward bringing attention to sweet romance.

EA,
I hope we get a lot of publicity out of it. It should be fun!

LarryH
October 18th, 2012, 07:41 PM
I'm going to bow out. Not feeling the best but I thank Miss Mae for setting this up. I enjoyed all the excerpts and blurbs. Cindy, I'm still thinking about entering your contest. Sorry, I"ve not committed yet. Larry

Miss Mae
October 18th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Miss Mae I promised an excerpt from my SF novel The Higher Mission. Again I apologize for my memory loss on the contest prize. I probably was thinking of See No Evil My Pretty Lady.
Here is the excerpt from chapter two Europa Assignment.
The big tire of the rover startled him as it ground to a haltbeside him. He turned to face a blasterleveled at his mid section. The helmetedfigure of the pirate motioned angrily for him to get into their rover. Cramer didn’t have to be told twice. The blaster could kill with its high energybeam and it would be a tossup as to which would take his life first: thedecompression of his suit or the frying of his guts by the blaster beam. These men didn’t intend to rescue him bypicking him up, Cramer knew as well as Icarus’ orbit dipped inside Mercury’sorbit. They rode in silence until henoticed the attenuator reading on his receiver blink to a seven. The crater and building complex appeared ahead.<o:p></o>
“This isDirk. We have a member of yourcrew. We’ll deliver him safely if yougive us the storage tank with the blind fish,” Dirk said into his suit mike.<o:p></o>
“No deal,”the answer came over Cramer’s receiver as well. He recognized Sanchez’s voice.<o:p></o>
“Then we’llkill him,” Dirk replied, no hesitation, no uncertainty, no bluffing in hisvoice. Cramer sank to deep despair,picturing the proverbial plug nickel of higher worth than his life. He confirmed that feeling as he spotted ontop of the main building a large canon swiveled in their direction, itsspherical energy storage chamber behind the ribbed barrel glowing bright red.<o:p></o>
Simultaneously,the rover driver jumped out his door, Dirk reached across in front of Cramerfor the passenger side handle but Cramer beat him to it. He opened the door and leaped for the snowysurface just as the canon emitted a scarlet beam in their direction. The blast exploded the pirate’s rover into athousand pieces, the debris striking Cramer and sending him tumbling in spaceaway from the blast. In his somersaultinghe spotted Dirk flying above him, frozen entrails trailing his lifelessbody. Cramer couldn’t see the other manamong the tiny pieces of metal and plastic from the exploded rover.<o:p></o>
Hefelt his own suit losing pressure. Theself sealing mechanism kicked in and barely managed to handle the smallleak. He

lost consciousness as his oxygenpack provided him its last gasp of air. At the point of black out he saw Europa’s icy surface coming

up to meethim. His whole life seemed to flashbefore him like the time on Earth when he fell into the old fishing hole andalmost

drown forty years ago. The lastimage burning into his mind before oblivion was Cindy’s face in the Martianhospital.

This is how chapter two ended. Sort of reminds you of those exciting endings on your chapters of Winifred doesn't it?

Larry

I like it, Larry. :)

Laurean
October 18th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Wow, Larry! This is amazing! Is this a sequel to the one you let me read, or did you make revisions after I read it? I remember Cramer well. He's what I call a real hero.
I like it, Larry. :)