View Full Version : Thanksgiving Memories (A little late but I was sick last week.)

November 29th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I love Thanksgiving. Itís my favorite holiday. The aroma of turkey roasting in the oven filling the house, the Macyís Thanksgiving Day Parade, the peacefulness--itís just the four of us; hubby, son, dog and myself. The hubby and I go through the sale ads, our son helps prepare the turkey and get it into the oven, and the Nova waits patiently for her dinner plate. Itís a day to reflect on all the good things in my life and how thankful I am for my family, friends and home.

Thanksgiving wasnít always this quiet. When the hubby and I were stationed not too far from home, Thanksgiving was a hectic day. Weíd start out by going to the hubbyís grandmotherís house. Gram served the meal at 12:30 promptly. Anywhere from fifteen to twenty people sat around her dining room table, passing platters of turkey, bowls of mashed potatoes, two kinds of sweet potatoes, vegetables, gravy, dinner rolls, cranberries and cranberry sauce. Afterward, the men would retire to the television room for football while the women cleaned up. Then it was good old fashioned fun playing poker with family members who saved their nickels, dimes and quarters from last yearís game. (My mother-in-law kept her coins in an old tin Bandaid box.) But the hubby and I didnít get to play for long. Around 3pm we left Gramís and headed to my momís for another family dinner. Squeezed around the table, we ate more turkey, potatoes, vegetables, rolls, and cranberry sauce. About that time, I thought I would explode. Somehow, I didnít, though I was tired and feeling more stuffed than the turkeys had been.

Weíd visit with my family for awhile, letting our food digest as we talked about anything and nothing. Early evening, weíd go back to Gramís for dessert. And dessert was four different pies and leftovers from two dinners. Gram always served another dinner at 5pm of kielbasa, ham, salads and leftover turkey. Weíd play cards again until I was sure my eyes were being held open by toothpicks and then weíd head back to my momís house, where weíd stay for the night. As my brothers and sister and their families had already left for their homes, the hubby would relax in the recliner, and with the house quiet, mom and I would indulge in another piece of pie. Then Iíd sleep late the next morning.

While I enjoy the peacefulness of my house today, I do miss the families, the loud conversations and those who have left this world. But I donít miss eating two dinners in the span of a few hours. To this day, Iím still amazed that Stan and I crammed all that food into our bellies, and didnít gain 20lbs in the process.