PDA

View Full Version : Friday Flash Fiction

Maura Anderson
November 2nd, 2007, 01:33 PM
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s169/realmsoftheraven/fridayflash.jpg

Every friday myself and several other authors post a small piece of flash fiction on our blogs. It's typically 100-750 words and is free for everyone to read.

Today's flash fiction is up on my blog at http://www.realmsoftheraven.blogspot.com.

I'd love to hear what you think and you can even join in if you wish! There is a link to instructions at the bottom of the post.

Karenne
November 2nd, 2007, 02:02 PM
What a great blog Maura!

For those of who don't get it...what is the auto link thing? BouncyBunny

Maura Anderson
November 2nd, 2007, 02:10 PM
What a great blog Maura!

For those of who don't get it...what is the auto link thing? BouncyBunny

Thanks, Karenne. :)

Autolinking is a way to use a service to track subscribers to a "project" (in my case Friday Flash Fiction). Instead of having to keep updating a list with the URL of people who want to take part in your project, you install two pieces of code

1) Hidden code that enables your blog to check the service to obtain a list.
2) Code in the post itself that checks the service each time the page loads and gets a list of the subscribers, then displays those links.

Not hard to set up the first time - took me about 5 minutes to figure it out - then I just post a code snippet in my post each time I do a Friday Flash Fiction post.

Because I want each week to be separate, I use a different code each time. If you didn't need that, it's even simpler.

If a new person wants to join - they fill out the registeration so the service knows who they are, then they add themselves to the list in the space provided. They'll appear on all the lists as soon as that is done.

I have some instructions up on my website (you can click on the Friday Flash Fiction button in my sidebar to access it) and can walk people through if they need me to :)

Karenne
November 2nd, 2007, 02:24 PM
ohhh...Thanks Maura! I had never seen that before. What a great idea! (blushing) thank you for explaining!

Twirling

Maura Anderson
November 2nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
Never a problem :) I'm a software engineer in my day job so I occasionally forget that not everyone speaks fluent geek-ese. :)