PDA

View Full Version : Readers? What Are You Looking For And Not Finding?

Jan Alyce Avery
November 16th, 2007, 09:38 PM
As a new author, I'm interested in hearing from readers about what they really enjoy in current romance novels, and also, what they feel is missing. Are you finding characters you can really care about? Plots that make sense? Writing styles that are beautifully descriptive, yet easy to read?

I collect the works of classical romance authors such as Rafael Sabatini (Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk) and Georgette Heyer. Great writing and plenty of feeling, including passion, though not much in the way of blatantly sexual content. Now, I don't mind a bit of physical passion (there's certainly some in my book, Shadowed Knight) but sometimes I get the feeling that some current writers overdo the "pant, groan, pant" scenes just a trifle. And I have to grit my teeth when a heroine takes one look at Mr. Great Abs and goes into full-blown heat, without so much as a single sentence being exchanged. One can admire a good-looking man, the way one would admire a terrific painting or exquisite statue, (or a handsome stallion -- take a look at my website to see what I mean) but I think a heroine should at least find out if he's got more to offer or is dumb as a bucket of rocks before she flings herself squirming at his feet. (In fact, no heroine should fling herself squirming at anyone's feet. Not if the author wants me to continue reading, at any rate.)

On the other hand, I know there are authors out there who are skilled enough to make you really care for their characters, and can keep you going from page to page, hungry for more. How do they do that, in your opinion?

What do you think? Who's doing what right? Or wrong?
I'd love to hear from those who really matter -- the readers.

Jan Alyce Avery
Author, Shadowed Knight
www.JanAlyceAvery.com (http://www.JanAlyceAvery.com)
Available Dec. 4th from Samhain Publishing
www.samhainpublishing.com (http://www.samhainpublishing.com)

Karenne
November 16th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Hi Jan!

Welcome to our forum family!HugMe So happy that you are here!:flowers:

Dani
November 17th, 2007, 12:35 AM
:welcome: Jan! Glad you could join our forum family. Hope you have fun here.

I don't have an answer for your question at this time (it's late and I'm tired...LOL), but I will post again when I do.

Angela Caperton
November 17th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Jan, you're going to love it here. This is about the nicest group of folks you'll ever have the pleasure of gathering with.

So, is that one lump or two? Half & Half or heavy cream - damn the calories?

And would you prefer Biscotti or good ole Chocolate Chip?