PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Paranormal Creature?

Shelley Munro
November 17th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Just call me curious:

1. What is your favorite paranormal creature/character to read about?

2. Are there any paranormal creatures you're tired of?

3. Are there any paranormal creatures you'd like to read about?

My absolute favorite paranormal creature is a feline shifter. I really like them. I think it's because I'm a frustrated cat lover. Hubby doesn't like cats so we have a dog. I have to get my cat fix somehow :lol:

I've read a lot of vampires and werewolf stories and enjoy them, but as a reader, I tend to be a bit pickier these days about the ones I'll pick up to read. I'd like to see more dragon and other shifters out there. I also like genies, imps and magical creatures like fairies and witches. Oh, and wizards.

Shelley

jennzilla
November 17th, 2007, 11:11 PM

Put them in a great story and I'll read any of them. I've written werewolves, wyverns and weretigers, and I have to say that I love those all equally. I have to say it because if I don't I'll have a revolt in my head. Can't have that.

Not the creatures, but some premises. The whole: They have to breed thing. Meh. I don't really care about that. If they're gonna have sex, do it because they wanna, not to have babies. I think this is because I'm not into having babies myself, so that really just doesn't appeal to me.

Where be dragons?

CharmedGirl
November 17th, 2007, 11:27 PM

Well I love reading paranormal stories about werewolves, dragons, weretigers, werelions and wereleopards. I love the wereleopards (Micah and Nathaniel) in the Anita Blake series by Laurell K Hamilton.

There are no paranormal creatures that I tire of but interest is usually only kept if the storyline is worth reading.

I'd love to read more about horses or lions :)

Dani
November 18th, 2007, 12:53 AM

I read and love just about everything from vamps, werewolves and shifters to dragons, merpeople, witches and the likes.

I can't say that I'm really tired of any of them. What I am tired of are the helpless women in the stories and how every one of them fall for the hero before they know anything about him. It's a great thing, but not all the time. It seems to be over done lately. Have them struggle for a bit trying to figure out if they really have feelings with each other.

I'd like to read more about dragons, merpeople, and witches. There are more, but I can't think of them right now.

Maura Anderson
November 18th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Favorite paranormal creatures:

I like them all, which is both good and bad. I'm especially enthralled with shape-shifters of unusual types.

Tired of:

I'm not tired of anything, per se. But I do get tired of the treatments that seem to be fairly standard. Helpless woman & alpha ancient vamp, etc. They just have to feel REAL to me.

Paranormals I'd like to read about:

Ummm - anything interesting and unusual!

Shelley Munro
November 18th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Oh, excellent! Fellow shapeshifter fans :)

I've heard some readers say they're tired of the "fated mates" theme that quite often comes through with shapeshifters. What do you think? Is it all in the author's execution?

Personally, I love the "fated mates" thing but it does depend on how the author writes the story. As Irish Wolf mentioned helpless heroines need not apply. I like heroines who have backbone and stand up for their rights.

Shelley

Susan Kelley
November 18th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I, too, would like to see more dragons or other winged beings. I usually don't read anything where the heroine is helpless before the 'whatever' great will or strength. I like her to be equal though different is great. Give her some magical powers, the good witch, or let her be even stronger. I'm working on something like that right now.
And I miss the elf hunks. Give me elves and dragons.:)

Maura Anderson
November 18th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I like the fated mates BUT it has to be done well. There still has to be choice and real thought on it.

And I'm very much NOT a TSTL heroine fan. I want my characters to be REAL and have quirks and faults to go with their strengths. Mary Sue characters need not apply. I've had a lot of comments that people liked Lara's quirks in Texas Tea.

But she's no push-over and no idiot.

It's a fine line to walk but SO worth it.

I actually have dragons on the brain - an upcoming dragon shifter story next year and I have a Sidhe series next year but NOT a typical elf story.

The biggest reader reactions to my blog's Friday Flash have been to Not a Fairy (elf flash) and Frostbite (frost dragon).

Venusjunkie206
November 18th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I like most shifters, cats, wolves, coyotes, and dragons, as long as they are male, I don't care must for female shifters. LOL

jennzilla
November 18th, 2007, 10:09 PM
I like the fated mates BUT it has to be done well. There still has to be choice and real thought on it.

And I'm very much NOT a TSTL heroine fan. I want my characters to be REAL and have quirks and faults to go with their strengths. Mary Sue characters need not apply. I've had a lot of comments that people liked Lara's quirks in Texas Tea.

But she's no push-over and no idiot.

It's a fine line to walk but SO worth it.

I actually have dragons on the brain - an upcoming dragon shifter story next year and I have a Sidhe series next year but NOT a typical elf story.

The biggest reader reactions to my blog's Friday Flash have been to Not a Fairy (elf flash) and Frostbite (frost dragon).

I like them to fight fate, rage against the machinations of their destiny. And yeah, a smartalec heroine who doesn't take no crap is fun too.

Dani
November 18th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I like the idea of a female shifter and I read a few books because of this fact. I don't think the males should have all of the fun of being able to shape shift in a story. It's a more popular idea for them being the only ones to be able to do so, but I think that there should be more females shifting too.

Venusjunkie206
November 18th, 2007, 11:11 PM
In Texas Tea, all the characters are sassy, but I loved the coyote, he is my favorite. I see I'll have to check out your Wolf's Heart, it looks interesting, I like funny stories.

Dani
November 18th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Venus, that's Dani Harper you're thinking of. We just happen to have the same nicknames that's all. In fact we just had a discussion about our names at a yahoo group chat she was at. :lol:

It's kinda neat that you though that I was her (at least to me). She's super nice. :biggrin:

Regina
November 18th, 2007, 11:41 PM
1. What is your favorite paranormal creature/character to read about? I'm very partial to anything were. I'm not picky either, it can be a werecat, werewolf, weredragon, whatever. LOL

2. Are there any paranormal creatures you're tired of? Vampires. Don't get me wrong I love them, but there are so many books out there now that an author had better come up with someone really really unique, or I'm less apt to purchase the book. I'm a big Feehan and Kenyon fan because they created their own worlds and gave vampires a completely different and new look.

3. Are there any paranormal creatures you'd like to read about? I'd love to see some more dragons, but I'd also be interested in seeing some different were types. I've seen a few dolphins recently which is a very nice change, and I even read one story about a beaver which was cool. I'd like to see authors write some more about the less common type weres.

Regina

DavidsGirl841444
November 19th, 2007, 01:17 PM
1.What is my favorite paranormal creature/character to read about? Well thats easy vapires they are the coolest of the cool. The night time thing, the blood sucking in a sexual way, the way they always can look beautiful, powerful, some are very dominent. They are just hot to read about.

2.Are there any paranormal creatures you're tired of? No not really at all. Of course their is the common bad guy I just want to use you for my evil purpose and then kill you kind of thing I read them often. And yeah the ditzy women who is so stupid about a guy or scene you want to smack her. But nothing in particular.

3.Are there any paranormal creatures you'd like to read about? Well more witches would be cool I mean they get a bad rep. all the time maybe some good pr would be kick butt. And as for dragons well dragon riders of pern does the dragon thing for me but wouldn't mind seeing more of them.

Shelley Munro
November 19th, 2007, 02:21 PM
It sounds like there are lots of dragon fans out there. I'll admit I haven't read many "dragon" books but I'm working to fix that. So many books, so little time!!

For readers who like something different I've written an Orca whale shifter (From the Deep anthology) and a Taniwha shifter (Men to Die For). And for those who don't know what a taniwha is, it's a creature from Maori mythology. The best description would be a sort of water dragon. In the myths taniwhas are always the bad guy. They used to like to eat people and wreck canoes. I've made mine a good guy, although he's very alpha.

I'm a huge fan of the Dresden Files. I think we definitely need more wizards.

Shelley

lizzie
February 6th, 2008, 06:57 AM

mm... Vampires without a dout, I just love them

Not really, it´s the repeating stories I get tired of not the creatures

Anything new to me

Venusjunkie206
February 6th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Bouncy Icon Smilie Bouncy Icon Smilie
I like almost all if the story is well written, I do draw the line at snakes, yuk !!! hate snakes. I don't think I have read any Bear shifters, that could be interesting. Of course I do have a thing for jungle cat shifters, and the Fae community, love the pretty fairies !!!! Vampires are on the bottom of my favorites list, although I'm slowly starting to get into them.

DavidsGirl841444
February 6th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Well there is a bear shifter in one of keri's books it a women who is huge

elektra250
May 5th, 2008, 07:19 AM
1. I just love to read about vampires, I think that I like them because they are unlike the others - they are really free. That that they are deadly and dangerous but also seductive, sensual and don't really care what people think about them.

2. I am not tired by any of these creatures. How can you be tired by something that is not fitting in the classification "normal"?

3.I would like to read more about a specific kind of creatures, that are from bulgarian folklore - we call them " samodivi". They are protectors of the forests, but they are not fey. They are only women, dressed in long white dresses, they have long long hair and they aren't good. They charm men, sleep with them and then kill them. And if you even think about destroying the forest they live in, that would be a huge mistake, if want to be alive!:TroutSlap:

hollie
May 5th, 2008, 08:34 AM
i like ..... it would probably be quicker to list what i don't like which so far is nothing (well not that i can think of )

Venusjunkie206
May 6th, 2008, 04:25 PM
samodivi". Wow that would make a great story !! too bad I'm not an author,

elektra250
May 7th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I am a writer, but just right now, I don't have enough time, I am finishing a book of my own and I study and work and it will be a mess at my apartment if my boyfriend didn't clean from time to time!

Tara S Nichols
May 7th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Just call me curious:

1. What is your favorite paranormal creature/character to read about? Shifters and werewolves in particular.

2. Are there any paranormal creatures you're tired of? Nope.

3. Are there any paranormal creatures you'd like to read about? I'd laugh if there was a sexy zombie out there.

My absolute favorite paranormal creature is a feline shifter. I really like them. I think it's because I'm a frustrated cat lover. Hubby doesn't like cats so we have a dog. I have to get my cat fix somehow :lol:

I've read a lot of vampires and werewolf stories and enjoy them, but as a reader, I tend to be a bit pickier these days about the ones I'll pick up to read. I'd like to see more dragon and other shifters out there. I also like genies, imps and magical creatures like fairies and witches. Oh, and wizards.

Shelley

Yeah the wizard thing also needs a face lift because I can't seem to conjure up anything besides Dumdledorf. Long white beard just isn't my thing.

Maria M.
May 7th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I love them all. My two normal favorites are vampires and werewolves but for the most part I love them equally. It really depends on the book and my mood. I also really like the walkers from Mercey Thompson series; i would like to read more of them.

Venusjunkie206
May 8th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Good for you !! I really admire talented people, that's why I'm a reviewer, I enjoy cheerleading for the authors.

Catherine Bybee
May 8th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Oh, man... These questions are hard!
I'm a sucker for the basic's Vamps, Werewolves and Shifters. Alpha with a need to protect their women.

Hot! They have to be hot!

Shelley Munro
May 8th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Yeah the wizard thing also needs a face lift because I can't seem to conjure up anything besides Dumdledorf. Long white beard just isn't my thing.

Yep, nothing sexy about a long white beard!!

Shelley

Catherine Bybee
May 8th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Yep, nothing sexy about a long white beard!!

Shelley

So true, so true.

hollie
May 9th, 2008, 09:48 AM
wizards definatly need a new image when i think wizard i still think merlin and yes Dumbledore just makes it worse

Catherine Bybee
May 9th, 2008, 03:20 PM
wizards definatly need a new image when i think wizard i still think merlin and yes Dumbledore just makes it worse

Dumbledore... LOL tee hee, that name simply cannot congure up romantic or hot in any way, can it?

Teresa D'Amario
May 25th, 2008, 02:46 PM

For me, I like the cats and the wolves. Something about their nature just appeals to me. The dragons are great too, but though they are believed to be warm blooded creatures, I still get a chill when I read them. :)

Nope, not a one. :)

Cats/wolves or just about anything. :)

And for anyone who wants to talk shapeshifters, head on over to http://shapeshifterromance.wordpress.com. You're welcome to join in with any talk! We LOVE to hear from the readers of shifter work!

Teresa D'Amario
May 25th, 2008, 02:49 PM

Ohh, then I have a book for you. :D Tigress by the Tail comes out in July, with Tease Publishing. Here's the blurb:

Lance is a Wizard. He’s not a great wizard, but he’s all right. Descended from a long line of wizards, his brothers taunt him for being slow to learn. And as the youngest, it’s his due course to accept such teasing. Life is good, and normal. For a wizard that is.

Cassie is a Shifter. A tigress to be exact. Raised by her father after her mother’s death she’s as well adjusted as any shifter can be, and still live in the human world, hiding who and what she is.

Bliss comes to a screeching halt the night Satanists kidnap Cassie and her best friend to use as sacrifices to bring forth their Dark Lord. When Cassie literally collides into Lance, she begs him to help them escape their captors, despite the dangers. The couple work together to save the life of Cassie’s friend, only to discover a shocking passion driving them closer together at a time when both should be devastated. But when Lance overhears Cassie’s father threaten his life, he heads for the hills. Cassie follows, determined to clear up the confusion.

But evil is still afoot and Cassie is taken by a secret government organization dedicated to the eradication of all things magick. Is Lance willing to put his life on the line for a woman he believes is out to kill him? Especially when he realizes the organization that’s taken her, is the one he works for?

DavidsGirl841444
May 27th, 2008, 12:20 PM
sounds riveting I love it

Maria M.
May 27th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I want to read a good werewolf book. Man werewolf and female something else to be exact. I don't know why but lately that's what I have been wanting to read. I can't wait till the next Patrica Briggs Mercey Thompson cause Mercey is finally with Adam!

DavidsGirl841444
May 28th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Aaa cool that is great.

rgraham666
May 28th, 2008, 10:27 AM

If you can find copies I'd recommend The War of The Wizards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_J._Offutt) series by Andrew J. Offutt and Richard K. Lyon.

The main wizard, Pyre of Ice, set the standard for wizards in my opinion. Sneaky, underhanded, subtle plus brave and self sacrificing.

A great character. Got the girl at the end too. :)

DavidsGirl841444
May 29th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I love when characters can be all that and still manage to snag the girl or boy at the end of it all.