PDA

View Full Version : Who gives a crap about the EPPIES?

K.Z. Snow
December 14th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I guess I do. Because my first novel for Ellora's Cave, Cemetery Dancer, http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd19/KZSnow/Cemeterydancer_msr_trs.jpg is a finalist in the Erotic Romance - Fantasy/Parnormal category. (Sorry for the crappy cover image. The original is much nicer!)

I'd tried not to get too jazzed up about the competition before I entered. In fact, I almost didn't enter. Yes, EPIC is the premier organization for ebook publishers, writers, and cover artists . . . but I thought, Well, readers either haven't heard of it or just plain don't care about any danged competition. Hell, a good portion of readers don't care about ebooks, period.

But I went ahead and entered anyway. So did hundreds upon hundreds of other authors. And when I got my finalist notification, I realized why I do care.

Other authors do the judging--dispassionately, I'd like to think--so this isn't a popularity contest. It's about quality. And when I realized my novel had managed to garner the respect of my peers, many of whom are veteran authors and/or extremely talented writers, I was floored. I mean, the significance of this honor really hit me.

So, although I know the world will keep spinning and writers will keep writing and readers will keep reading, Eppies or no Eppies, I feel both proud of and humbled by this itty-bitty notch in my belt. It may be the only one I'll ever get, but I'll always be inspired by it.

rgraham666
December 15th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Congratulations. :)

I was a bit bummed I didn't final in that category. It's my best and favourite work to date.

But what the hell? I got and am still getting lots of nice feedback on it. And it's still selling. After a fashion. ;)

K.Z. Snow
December 15th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Omigod, don't feel bad, Rob. For one thing, it's the good feedback that counts in the long run. For another, consider how devastating it will be for the finalists who don't win. Talk about plunging from a high to a low! :mumbles: I'm more or less expecting not to get any further--my book is up against eight others, I think--so the odds aren't good.

But, oh well, it's still an honor . . . and a nice high while it lasts.

KZ

Dani
December 15th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Congrats on getting this far KZ!! That is quite an accomplishment considering all the fantasy/paranormal ebooks there are out there. Cheerleader

K.Z. Snow
December 16th, 2007, 12:46 AM
:-* Thanks, Dani. (You ladies at Coffee Time are always so nice to us!)

KZ

Shelley Munro
December 16th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Congratulations, KZ! That's awesome news. Bouncy Icon Smilie

Shelley