PDA

View Full Version : From a guy who writes romance...

Johnny Peregrine
December 18th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Unlike many authors, I never planned on being a writer nor did I "always write". My first choice for art has always been visual. Drawing, painting, photography and even beaded jewelry. I started writing a couple years ago after reading a vampire story and thinking, "If I was immortal I would be living it up!" So I wrote my first novel, Like Crimson Rain. Don't bother looking for it... it need a MAJOR rewrite. But it felt great to finish it. Then I did the unthinkable.... I kept writing! I tried to write a few other styles, but no matter what they had to have a paranormal elemant and they had to have a love story as the central theme. Yep... the Big Guy realized he was a romance writer.
So now I have a novella, Fiends With Benefits, out there. Phaze made me a contract offer after I sent in a short story based on the main characters, Ben and Valda. I was very worried though because it is told in first person and from Ben's point of view. "Women don't want to read sex scenes from a man's POV" I was told. "Men can't write romance" someone else told me. Know what? I am getting some greatreviews for FWB and to the nay-sayers I say "nyah nyah :tt2: ". Yeah, real mature huh?
Yeah, I know that many women won't want to read FWB because it is from the heroes POV. I will be writing other stories in third person, but Ben and Valda will live (or unlive) in their own series told through Ben's eyes and heart.
So stick around and enjoy the show!

JP

rgraham666
December 18th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I was told the same, Johnny.

I love proving the naysayers wrong. :devil:

Congratulations. :)

Susan Kelley
December 18th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Hi Johnny. I love reading the male point of view. I look forward to a chance to read some of your writing. Good luck.

hollie
December 18th, 2007, 03:21 PM
xmasreindeer i can't think of a book i've read from the male pov but i don't have a problem with it in theary. A lot of authors put some bits from both pov any way so?? and I don't care if an author is male female or martian as long as the story is good

Rynne_Raines
December 18th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I love reading from the male pov, and I actually prefer it. I mean, I'm a woman, I hear my thoughts all day long, it's a nice change to see from a man's pov! :)

Johnny Peregrine
December 20th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Thanks all! Hey one way to sample my stuff is on my website. There is a free short stiry on the front page and it's a Christmas tale!
Link is in my sig!

Shelley Munro
December 20th, 2007, 02:28 PM
That's a great story! I'm another who is quite happy reading a story from male POV. I'll read any variation. All I want is a good story.

Shelley