PDA

View Full Version : Many Bloody Returns by Charlaine Harris ET AL

Karenne
January 13th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Yes, I went out and bought this book because it shows Charlaine harris and Kelly Armstrong and Jim Butcher as the authors listed on the book. So I get this book and it is 355 pages with stories written by 13 authors.

So I sit down excited about this (even though I didn't know it had 13 authors in the 355 pages) and started reading. Just as I started getting into the story..it ended. Frustrating and left hanging like there is a book coming out with this as the first chapter.

Has anyone else read this book? What did you think? Were you frustrated? or is it just me?

DavidsGirl841444
January 13th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Oh no i haven't but what exactly dose it leave you hanging on? Curious.

Karenne
January 13th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Well in my opinion (just my opinion) each story 'feels' like the first chapter in their next book. So it gives me just enough to get interested and then...stops.

Now the writing is good and I will definately be checking out some of the books by the authors, I just kind of got annoyed and wondered if it was just me?

DavidsGirl841444
January 14th, 2008, 12:28 PM
No not just you i would get annoyed as well can't wait to get it.

Dani
January 14th, 2008, 12:59 PM
In my opinion, it was slightly lacking. I liked the story, but wanted more from it. It was like just a little taste of a bigger story that will probably never come around. As I understand it this story is just a small short for the book and it was supposed to have taken place before Colonel Flood, (I believe that's his name) the pack master of the Shreveport area, died.

hollie
January 14th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I haven't got that one yet but i know the Kelley Armstrong is a stand alone short story its written from the pov of one of her charicters all her women of the other world books are written from a different pov and she used to have lots of short stories on-line (but she doing a charity book)

http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/index.html

DavidsGirl841444
January 14th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Yet again I check for these authors in my library none for the finding.

Karenne
January 14th, 2008, 04:56 PM
You need to come and use our library. I don't know who orders our books here..but she is AWESOME!Bouncy Icon Smilie

DavidsGirl841444
January 14th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Got it on my way. Don't know if they would let me check out books though.

hollie
January 15th, 2008, 08:59 AM
it's like that here DG it's one of the reasons i buy so many books but if you get chance to read any of Kelley's books they really are very good

DavidsGirl841444
January 15th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Got to get some to see what they are like. Maybe someone I knows has read them i;ll ask around.

hollie
January 17th, 2008, 04:13 PM
It's cos of Kelley's books that i found Keri's and i promise you will a love the wolves especially Clayton that is one hot wolf and he's more wolf than man cos he was bitten as a child and lived wild for quite a while

DavidsGirl841444
January 17th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Really well intresting.

CharmedGirl
January 21st, 2008, 12:15 AM
I love Kelley Armstrong as a writer especially when she writes from Elena's perspective. The books I'm talking about are Broken, Bitten and Stolen.

Karenne
January 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM
I love Kelly's books also. She has a grit to her that I enjoy so I don't mind spending money on purchasing them (says the cheap woman)

Did you read this book? Many Bloody Returns?

DavidsGirl841444
January 21st, 2008, 01:23 PM
No none of her books. Hey cheap is good.

CharmedGirl
January 22nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
I haven't read Many Bloody Returns yet but I will! LOL

bittenbybooks
January 28th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I actually wasn't disapointed with this Anthology. I went into it knowing it was going to be short stories. I actually found a few new authors that I hadn't read, which is always a bonus. LOL

I wish I would have kept my copy so I could go back and reference a few of my favs. <sigh>

Jim Butcher was one that I hadn't read, and now am collecting all of his Dresden Files books.

I liked this anthology better than the My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (there were some good ones in that though too).

DavidsGirl841444
January 29th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Oh dresden I heard of that one around should look him up.

bittenbybooks
February 4th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Oh dresden I heard of that one around should look him up.
I want to say that they made a TV series of this. But I may be lying without knowing it. LOL

Dani
February 4th, 2008, 11:35 PM
They did on the Sci-Fi channel. It was called The Dresden Files. It was only on for one season I believe. I wish they had brought it back because I loved it.

bittenbybooks
February 4th, 2008, 11:45 PM
<mini hijack>

Hey Dani,

I LOVE your new banner in your siggy. You Hussy you. :)

Dani
February 4th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Thanks Rach!

It's my Hussy membership card. I posted it in honor of The Hussies being here this month. :biggrin:

bittenbybooks
February 4th, 2008, 11:55 PM
cool!

I haven't met the hussies. Well, besides you of course. LOL :notworthy:

Dani
February 5th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Head over to the Reader's Retreat (on the main forum page) and meet The Hussies. There are 5 of them that are writing a series about strong, independant woman that travel through time (of course there's sex in them too). That's what a Hussy is in their minds and I agree. Their names are Sally Painter, Ciana Stone, Nicole Austin, Sahara Kelly and Nathalie Gray. :biggrin:

bittenbybooks
February 5th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Head over to the Reader's Retreat (on the main forum page) and meet The Hussies. There are 5 of them that are writing a series about strong, independant woman that travel through time (of course there's sex in them too). That's what a Hussy is in their minds and I agree. Their names are Sally Painter, Ciana Stone, Nicole Austin, Sahara Kelly and Nathalie Gray. :biggrin:

Coolness, I will check it out! Thanks hussAh!

DavidsGirl841444
February 5th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Oh with you Dani aout the Dresden Files on scifi loved the show was great. Should bring it back.

hollie
February 5th, 2008, 04:14 PM
i haven't read either of them yet but i will

DavidsGirl841444
February 6th, 2008, 05:39 PM
So Dresden huh must try and find the books didn't know they were books till here.

hollie
February 6th, 2008, 05:45 PM
i'll put them on the list just on tell Rob till after April

DavidsGirl841444
February 6th, 2008, 05:46 PM
I promise no one will breath a word just sign it to himhehee.Kidding.

hollie
February 6th, 2008, 05:56 PM
couldn't get away with that all the cards are in my name

DavidsGirl841444
February 7th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Oh well then that is a problem.Kind of a big one.

hollie
February 7th, 2008, 12:00 PM
well i'm going to cornwall in the morning as my brother and the kids won't be there mum will spoil me (she has a credit card) just till we get home on sunday then she will go back to normal

DavidsGirl841444
February 8th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Oh yeah love getting spoiled and getting things without asking. Hope ou get spoiled with lots of books.

bittenbybooks
February 9th, 2008, 04:16 PM
well i'm going to cornwall in the morning as my brother and the kids won't be there mum will spoil me (she has a credit card) just till we get home on sunday then she will go back to normal

That sounds nice! have a great time. :)

hollie
February 17th, 2008, 06:52 PM
i didn't manage to go anywhere to use a credit card but it was quite nice to see my family (well some of them)

CharmedGirl
February 18th, 2008, 04:10 AM
The library here doesn't hold any of the good books that I've got on my bookcase. It needs to update and get better books if it expects me to visit there and borrow books.

CharmedGirl
February 18th, 2008, 04:13 AM
i didn't manage to go anywhere to use a credit card but it was quite nice to see my family (well some of them)

I don't have a credit card in my name but my boyfriend has a credit card in his name so that when I need to purchase something online all I have to ask is 'Pretty please can I use your credit card to buy this book or books?'

:notworthy:

hollie
February 18th, 2008, 07:41 AM
we only have one and its in my name but i still have to ask pretty please

DavidsGirl841444
February 18th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Whoa I just ask can i have this and he pretty much relents knowing if he wants something from me he has to give me something. Hehehe kidding I ask nicely and give him puppy eyes. falls for it.

bittenbybooks
February 18th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Whoa I just ask can i have this and he pretty much relents knowing if he wants something from me he has to give me something. Hehehe kidding I ask nicely and give him puppy eyes. falls for it.
Sounds pretty straight forward. LOL
smilies/cloud9.gif

DavidsGirl841444
February 19th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Yeah but then I feel a bit lousy for asking and him giving like that it like can't I get it for myself and be happy I got it myself I don't know I am confused.

hollie
February 20th, 2008, 09:11 AM
you and me both girl but my mum always says picture yourself in 10 yrs and is he there if yes then go for it i've been married 12yrs in April and i still can't say why we are together

DavidsGirl841444
February 21st, 2008, 02:34 AM
Maybe its love or that he gets you nooks if ou ask? Hehehhehehe

hollie
February 21st, 2008, 04:32 AM
could be but i only started reading alot a few yrs ago when i first stopped smoking

Daelith
February 21st, 2008, 12:00 PM
I want to say that they made a TV series of this. But I may be lying without knowing it. LOL
They did have a tv series on the SciFi channel, but it was very short lived. They didn't really give it a chance. With it's future unsure the actors, unable to get a firm commitment, accepted other offers and moved on. At least, that's my understanding.

ETA: And I see I wasn't at the last page of posts when answering this and that it had already been answered.:gavel: I'm blaming the sinus meds I took earlier.

DavidsGirl841444
February 22nd, 2008, 11:27 AM
Bad sinus med making people see things and read things.

Maria M.
February 24th, 2008, 03:42 AM
They did have a tv series on the SciFi channel, but it was very short lived. They didn't really give it a chance. With it's future unsure the actors, unable to get a firm commitment, accepted other offers and moved on. At least, that's my understanding.

ETA: And I see I wasn't at the last page of posts when answering this and that it had already been answered.:gavel: I'm blaming the sinus meds I took earlier.

I know how you feel. i was taking a lot of cold medicine when i got a really bad cold virus going around in the small town where i live and i was playing a video game with my sister but i was so medicated it took me about thirty times to beat a stage!

DavidsGirl841444
February 25th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Whoa sorry I am like that right about now andit sucks cause my guy is in town and i am really spent.

bittenbybooks
February 25th, 2008, 02:07 PM
it must be going around. UGH. I got this junk from my dh! sore throat and stuffy head. time to get some more :sleep1:

I hope everybody is feeling better SOON.

hollie
February 25th, 2008, 02:46 PM
i've got another ear infection which is starting to get me down this cos i can't think straight i'm back at the hospital in 5 weeks so hopefully they will sort it out

bittenbybooks
February 25th, 2008, 02:54 PM
i've got another ear infection which is starting to get me down this cos i can't think straight i'm back at the hospital in 5 weeks so hopefully they will sort it out
YIKES feel better Hollie!

hollie
February 25th, 2008, 03:01 PM
thank you if i get snappy with people you'll know why this has been going on since June so my patience is some what thin i'll appolagise to everyone now so i don't upset people

Dani
February 26th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Oh Hollie, that really sucks! I hope they figure out what's going on and do something about it soon.

hollie
February 26th, 2008, 11:40 AM
i think th eworse bit is i can't work properly a class full of 8-10yr olds is noisy and i struggle to keep up so i can only do 1-2-1 or small groups

DavidsGirl841444
February 26th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Oh my sweet lordschica really hope you feel better I hate hospitals personally but if it gets the job done. Hey I am not suprised you haven't taken it out on everyone you are one strong chica I would kill.

hollie
February 26th, 2008, 04:25 PM
can't do that DG, 4 children 2 dogs and a husband can you imagine the mess i would have to clean up it just wouldn't be worth it

DavidsGirl841444
February 27th, 2008, 09:39 AM
So sorry yeah pretty big one at that and it would get that big probably after 2 hours

Annette
August 11th, 2008, 10:59 PM
i havent read this one yet. but i have read most of her books. so i think i will like this one too.( im always looking for something new)

Dani
August 11th, 2008, 11:10 PM
It's a great story. :biggrin:

Annette
August 11th, 2008, 11:12 PM
It's a great story. :biggrin:

thanks i will keep that in mind when im book shopping or i will look for it at my libary.:phone:

hollie
August 12th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I haven't got this one yet but it's on my wish list

bittenbybooks
August 12th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I loved this anthology! It has some fun stories in it.

Kimberly
August 14th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I agree with you, Rach! I enjoyed it. I didn't realize it had all of those stories in it, but I thought it was a fun book. Of course, I bought it for the Kelley Armstrong/ Charlaine Harris alone. I did find a couple of new authors to add to my shelves!!

terra57
August 14th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I have to say I was a bit disappointed with this one. The stories just weren't up to the authors usual standards but we all have our own opinions.
huggs,
Terra

bittenbybooks
August 14th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I liked the Jim Butcher story. That is the trouble with anthologies, the stories are often so short it is hard to get the character depth you come to know and enjoy from a full length novel. Sometimes they can be disappointing.

Terra, did you like any of the stories ? or which ones particularly stood out as bad to you? It has been awhile since i read the book, so I am not remembering any that I didn't enjoy. Could be selective memory creeping in. LOL

terra57
August 14th, 2008, 01:23 PM
My favorite stories were "The Mournful Cry of Owls" by Christopher Golden and "Grave-Robbed" by P.N. Elrod.
Don't get me wrong as they were okay but nothing like really stand out. And, I am a devote Sookie fan and was quite disappointed with that story.

Maria M.
August 15th, 2008, 06:02 PM
i havent read this one yet. but i have read most of her books. so i think i will like this one too.( im always looking for something new)

Okay I was really behind on this thread but what book is everyone talking about? It went from sickness to books and I can't find a title:dizzy:

Kimberly
August 19th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Many Bloody Returns. Charlaine Harris, Jim Butcher, Kelley Armstrong, etc. There are 13 different stories in it

hollie
August 20th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I went looking for that this morning in York they had it last week when I had no money and today when I could get it they didn't have it and I had to walk the long way round cos the river is up and it's flooded the path

bittenbybooks
August 20th, 2008, 01:57 PM
That sounds like a lot of water!! :)

hollie
August 20th, 2008, 02:48 PM
That sounds like a lot of water!! :)

If you look on myspace there are photo's of when York flooded last year

bittenbybooks
August 20th, 2008, 03:25 PM
We have had our fair share of flooding here in the Seattle area, not to much this last year. We are up on a hill these days. :)