PDA

View Full Version : Sourdough

Karenne
September 4th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Okay...who likes sourdough bread? Ever thought of making it yourself? that is my goal for the year is to learn how to do it myself. I already tried once and failed (hangs head in shame) but I am trying again. :turned:

Linda L Lattimer
September 8th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Clapping hands for you, you will do it, Karenne, I know you will, then we will share bread with you

Linda

Charissa1
September 13th, 2006, 12:47 AM
If you find the secret to success, Karenne, let me know. I tried twice and all I did was end making my kitchen stinky for a little while. There are a few things I am no good at and it's usually the simplest things. Got a no fail recipe for a pie crust I can't botch??? LOL

Karenne
September 13th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Been there..done that! Smells gone though! lol I did find a lady that loves to make it and says she will answer all my questions. So cross your fingers (and hold your nose)

Pie crust...hmm...I might. I will have to go and look through my books. Awwww...cook books...drooooool:turned:

Karenne
September 22nd, 2006, 02:16 PM
If you find the secret to success, Karenne, let me know. I tried twice and all I did was end making my kitchen stinky for a little while. There are a few things I am no good at and it's usually the simplest things. Got a no fail recipe for a pie crust I can't botch??? LOL

Yep...put one in the forums in the Recipes! Go and look here:

http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/showthread.php?t=261

:euro:

Karenne
September 22nd, 2006, 02:37 PM
Okay..so I have the sourdough starter (crossing fingers) So I thought I would share my pictures and status with you!

This is right after I mixed up the flour, water, and culture...

And this is after 2 feedings and 24 hours

Still have 26 and 1/2 more hours..but I am getting excited!

lcsamano
May 8th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I love sourdough bread. I have never been brave enough to try it though. I know that you need a starter kit to make it. I am not a great cook so I probably would mess it up somehow.

Karenne
May 8th, 2007, 07:22 PM
You can do it. All you need is patience and dedication and time and TONS of flour!

:detective:

Lainey
May 8th, 2007, 11:38 PM
being raised in the San Francisco peninsula we ate tons of sourdough that it still my favorite of all breads and warm with butter yummy. My dad even drove for Paisano before he died so young in '63.

Anyway I have my baby sister I think that knows how to make it but she now lives in Utah and am sure they have helped her perfect it and I am here so I would need help....
that starter bit is the secret I know ... so give us the secret once you have perfected it?

I love to bake but haven't really done much since mom died a couple years ago cooking for one is no fun. But I used to bake all the time and cookies from scratch were always in the house, I have done homemade fudge here but is about it and cheater cookies from readymade dough ...I know bad girl.....

So if it comes out let us know and we can use your recipe Karenne.. oh yeah tons of butter you need too for warm bread out of oven goodness. And milk.

Lainey

Karenne
May 8th, 2007, 11:49 PM
It did come out great. I have a sponge in my refrigerator that I open up once in a while and cook sourdough EVERYTHING (bread, pancakes, muffins, waffles, cookies) for a couple of months and then store my new sponge (because it grows stronger) in the frig and finish up the rest of the starter that I have and through it all way.

I have been really impressed. I actually purcahsed several (3) starters before I finally got one to work. Yes, I could have done that culture thing from the atmosphere...but that takes WAY to long and the smell is horrible. ewww. So I got a starter that worked and was guaranteed and then just said my little prayers, kept a temperature thermometer out and tested all of the rooms in my house for 2 days each and kept a chart to figure out which room would work.

Now once you have it going and a sponge created...you are good permamently. BUT it is getting it into a sponge that is hard. :GEEK:

Lainey
May 9th, 2007, 07:20 AM
So if I drive up north to you I except sourdough something and chocy to go with it hahaha... maybe mimosas ... that would work ... but sounds good I need to get baking again and with 2 young college female roommates here now learning to cook it might be ideal. The do the cookbook thing and I have tons of those around and in storage.

So WHERE did you get your culture or starter Karenne, easily found I hope so no messing with it?

thanks for the update though .. .yummmmm sourdough nothing like it especially raised on it hehe....

Lainey:notworthy:

Karenne
May 9th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Well I tried 2 companies...I won't say there names because their culture didn't work :nah:

But I did find an individual who will sell her culture (San Francisco culture) and she is great! She answers emails and questions and told me that if I couldn't get it working that she would send another one. That was MUCH better than I got with the two companies (scowls)

Her name is Linda and her email is Linda@theWilbourneGroup.com Please feel free to tell her that I gave you her email address. I would love for her to know that since she helped me so much (and she really did) that I am sending her people. You know how it is..what comes around goes around...and this lady really deserves a lot of happy things going her way.

Hope that helps!:wub:

lcsamano
May 9th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the name and email address. I will have to email her. I love sourdough and would love to make it for the family.

Lainey
May 9th, 2007, 10:20 PM
OK now I will have to contact her and see if I can do it and make it come out right ... warm yeasty sourdough hot out of oven with melted butter.. sounds good to me let's hope it turns out ... haha

Lainey