PDA

View Full Version : Are the older authors better

Erynlouise
February 1st, 2008, 01:24 AM
okay I know this sounds bad, but does anyone notice that the new historical romances dont have the same flar as the older ones.. I mean I used to become spell bound when reading at the moment Im let down by the end of the book and its not limited to historical romance its all types of romance.. Has anyone read Catherine Coulter, Jane Feather or Amanda Quick:)

Karenne
February 2nd, 2008, 04:41 PM
okay I know this sounds bad, but does anyone notice that the new historical romances dont have the same flar as the older ones.. I mean I used to become spell bound when reading at the moment Im let down by the end of the book and its not limited to historical romance its all types of romance.. Has anyone read Catherine Coulter, Jane Feather or Amanda Quick:)

Yes, Yes, and Yes. Read all three of them.

I don't know if they have more flar, but they have a different style maybe?

I think I have all of those 3 of these authors' books:wub:

Erynlouise
February 2nd, 2008, 06:32 PM
maybe Im reading the wrong ones... Any surgestions.I was possibly thinking of retracting my comment, I dont want to bag any new authors out there me being one of them, I just wanted to see if anyone else thought the same...

Karenne
February 2nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
no you are just fine. And no one is going to take that wrong. Don't worry about it honey.

Have you read Stephanie Laurens? I love her historicals.

I do like Phyllis Campbell's historicals. I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Anyone else have a suggestion for a good new historical author?

Erynlouise
February 3rd, 2008, 03:47 AM
no you are just fine. And no one is going to take that wrong. Don't worry about it honey.

Have you read Stephanie Laurens? I love her historicals.

I do like Phyllis Campbell's historicals. I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Anyone else have a suggestion for a good new historical author?
thanks Ive never heard of phyllis cambell, Il have to look her up. Yes I have read Steaphanie Laurens I enjoyed the cynster novels however from memory I don't think I have enjoyed all of her other novels well I cant think of any..Maybe you are right and its the style Im missing I also enjoy Viginia Henley books and I did like Claire Delacrox-bride quest series so do you happen to know who has similar writing.

Shelley Munro
February 3rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Have you read The Spymaster's Lady by Joanna Bourne?

She's a new author and the book is amazing. I'm not that far into it yet since I'm short of reading time at the moment, but I'm not the only one who is enthralled by the story and Joanna's writing.

Shelley

Tatiana
February 5th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Hi, I don't think it is just what historical romance writers write, but what is accepted for publication. Most publishing houses want steamy books with fast pace, and not overloaded with historical detail. The books where virgin heroines find their soulmates are not so common these days. I wrote my first historical a couple of years ago after I became fascinated by the Klondike gold rush of 1898, and I wanted to stay true to the moral values of the period. I had to shorten the story by 10,000 words and take out a lot of the historical detail (admittedly I had gone overboard, researching so madly I knew the name of every dancehall girl and understood exactly how the gold mines were operated). The book will finally be published by Resplendence Publishing at the end of the year, watch out if you like old fashioned romance. If you like Amanda Quick, have you read Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaught?

Love from Tatiana

Erynlouise
February 5th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Yes I have read Kingdom of dreams along with the other five you know once and always, until you, whittney my love,something wonderful and almost heaven. I did enjoy those I have read some of her work that I was overly fussed on..

Georgie Lee
February 6th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I love Amanda Quick. Have you read Terri Brisbin? She writes in many eras and I really enjoy her.

Kristin Lawrence
February 24th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Jo Beverley, Eloisa James and Marion Chesney are good writers with very different styles, but all write in the Regency period. Marion Chesney also writes as MC Beaton, and both Chesney and Beverley have written for other periods as well. They're not particularly new, but are all solid producers worth delving into. I haven't found too many new writers lately, though I haven't had as much time to read these days. I have heard wonderful things about The Spymaster's Lady, but haven't read it yet.

I do find, as with any genre, there are a lot of wonderful historicals out there and a lot that aren't worth the price you paid for them. The key is hearing what others are reading. I've heard enough buzz about The Spymaster's Lady that I'll be looking for it the next time I go book shopping.

elainelowe
February 24th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Hi, I don't think it is just what historical romance writers write, but what is accepted for publication. Most publishing houses want steamy books with fast pace, and not overloaded with historical detail.

Love from Tatiana

I agree (and look around for my editor nervously). A lot of publishing houses are really reducing the number of historicals they accept, especially from the Regency/Victorian periods. I've branched out into science fiction, and added fantasy aspects to my historicals, or chosen different time periods.

hollie
February 25th, 2008, 03:57 PM
i haven't read many historical romances the only ones i've read are Lyn Armstrong her The last celtic witch is excellent and her second one is out about now. The only other ones i have read are Karen Marie Moning's highlander ones.