PDA

View Full Version : Super Easy Beer Bread

BridghidParkinson
September 9th, 2006, 11:32 AM
This is dead easy to do... and it's an old family recipie. I have no idea where it started but I can make this bread in my sleep and it makes for a great Barbeque side and can be multiplied for crowds. Guys love it with chili for football games and ladies love it sliced thin with Apple butter for brunches. Using Lite Beer does seem to make a difference in the bread- Lite Beer produces a fluffier bread. Try your favorite microbrews.

3 cups All Purpose Flour
1 tablespoon Baking Powder
3 Tablespoons Sugar (a little more makes a sweeter bread)
1 can/bottle Lite Beer (12oz)

Mix dry ingredients together to distribute baking powder and sugar into the flour. Add Beer. It will get foamy as you pour but stir until the flour is absorbed. Don't worry about lumps because if you stir it too much it makes the bread crust chewy.

Set aside 1/2 stick butter (Real butter is worth it on this! Tub margarine has too much water content that will make the bread soggy instead of making the crust brown), in a glass measuring cup or coffee mug, on the burner where the stove vents- this will melt the butter.

Put dough into a greased loaf pan and bake on 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

Drizzle the melted butter over the top of the bread and return to the oven for another 20 minutes.

Serve hot with soft butter or apple butter.