PDA

View Full Version : Sherwood Charade

MimiRiser
February 5th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Hi, everyone - I just wanted to let you know that I have a brand new, full-length novel out. It's a medieval time-travel romance, and, as you can probably guess from the title, it's centered on the Robin Hood legend. ;) Here's a blurb and a little excerpt from it...

SHERWOOD CHARADE (http://amberquill.com/SherwoodCharade.html) by Mimi Riser
available NOW from Amber Quill Press:
http://amberquill.com/SherwoodCharade.html
http://amberquill.com/pics/med_SherwoodCharade.jpg
=========
BLURB:
Some are born to greatness. Others have it thrust upon them. Marian Allanson would prefer to avoid it, period. Emotionally scarred, and haunted by nightly dreams of the mythical Robin Hood, Marian is limping through life till a mysterious quirk of fate tosses her and twelve-year-old street kid Orlando Konstantinos centuries into the past.

Now she's on a full-scale run through medieval Sherwood, threatened by the Sheriff of Nottingham, and discovering there may be truth to the myth, after all. A forest phantom appears out of the shadows to rescue her from death, then disappears again, leaving her to a different danger in the form of a forced marriage to Lord Roland of Hunterdon, a man hot enough to melt a maid's skivvies (despite the fact underwear hasn't been invented yet). To make matters worse, when the old sheriff is murdered, Roland steps into the job with plans to kill Robin Hood, unless Marian can stop him. Or will Roland be the one to die?

With the questions striking deeper than Robin's arrows, and a sudden uncertainty as to who's the villain and who's the hero, "Maid Marian" has much more to worry about than her missing unmentionables. And speaking of missing, where the devil is Orlando?

Before the secrets crack open and the dust clears, an unlikely heroine will rise from her own ashes, a legend will be rewritten, and a love will be forged strong enough to conquer time....

=========
EXCERPT (PG):

Marian clenched her teeth to keep from screaming again. Things were becoming too surrealistic. She closed her eyes and counted to ten, then rested her hands on his shoulders and leaned forward. "Orlando, listen to me. Whatever those men were running from, it was _not_ because of anything you said."

He blinked and stared past her. "You might be right about that."

"I know I'm right. And you did _not_ meet anyone who told you he was Robin Hood. There's a good chance no one around here even knows who Robin Hood is. The earliest known legends about him haven't been written yet. Do you get what I'm saying? He's not a real person."

"Does he know that?"

"He doesn't 'know' anything. Robin is just a myth, a folktale, a literary invention. Understand? Historians have been researching him for years. I've researched him myself." God, how she'd researched him. "But I've never found any solid evidence he really existed--not now, not ever." _Only in my dreams._ She drew a deep breath.

"Yeah? Well maybe you just never looked for him in the right place."

Marian stepped back and planted her hands on her hips. "And where would you suggest looking for him, Mr. Know-It-All?"

Orlando grinned. "Right behind you."

_What?_

She spun about--froze.

"Shit," she heard someone say. Herself. Surprising. It wasn't a word she often used, but she couldn't think of a better one just then. She couldn't think at all. The woods were moving, shadows detaching from shadows. Weird shapes materialized in the mists between the trees, figures on two legs, crowned with antlers and horns. Some wore leaves, some feathers, some fur. One had a wolf's head, one a bear's. And one...

Her legs went weak. She knew him--the tall one who stood in a tunic of forest green, his bow in hand, his face hidden behind the folds of a deep hood.

_A dream, just a dream..._

He stepped toward her.

Marian forgot how to breathe. Dizziness swamped her. She swayed, locked her legs to keep from falling--crumpled, anyway.

The hooded man caught her, just as he had a thousand times before...

==============================

Thanks!
~Mimi :)