PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the historical fans?

mizbrett
September 14th, 2006, 08:38 PM
This is disheartening. I'm working like heck on an historical romance, entitled Sparta Rose and I thought this might be a good place to find a sounding board. I wanted to post a few excerpts and get a feel of the strengths or weaknesses. I know this isn't a crit group, but what better place than where avid readers meet?

Miz

Karenne
September 15th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Did you look in the Writer's Cafe? I just created this group yesterday so ....it might take a day or two to get people in here!

Charissa1
September 15th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Hello hello,

Truth be told, I'm a fan, but I am a bit particular about the historicals I read. I do love them, especially if they are well researched. Please take no offense if you are writing one, but I am not a fan of Regency romance. I tend to read around that entire period of history.

I've written an historical of my own and I have few questions for you. How much time have you put into your research? What time period is the book set in? Do you plan to stay with the Historicals genre or are you planning something else?

Karenne
September 16th, 2006, 01:03 AM
That is funny Charissa! Regency..if well written and believable...is my favorite genre. :tt2:

Charissa1
September 17th, 2006, 01:56 PM
That is funny Charissa! Regency..if well written and believable...is my favorite genre. :tt2:

I think it's because they were so popular when I was younger and snatching up my mother's romance novels to read that I got burned out on them. They were extremely popular then and are still today. Paranormal and suspense might be all the rage these days but Regency will never die off. I saw a little proof when a major publishing house hosted an online contest where they let readers decide genre and plot ideas for a story to be written and Regency won by a huge margin.

DianeWylie
September 18th, 2006, 01:08 PM
My all time favorite books are still historical romances. When I couldn't find many set during the U.S. Civil War, I decided to write one. That one has now turned into three!

MY ENEMY, MY LOVE is about a Southern woman who finds an injured Yankee soldier and hides him until he gets well. They go through many hair-raising times until they can finally realize their love. This book is available in ebook and trade paperback from Whiskey Creek Press.

SECRETS AND SACRIFICES tells the story of a Confederate woman who joins the army to be by her husband's side. Her struggles, heartbreak, and decision to join the Underground Railroad cause conflict between Charlie and the regimental surgeon. This book is available on Amazon, Booksamillion, and BarnesandNoble.com. Look for it in bookstores beginning September 30th.

LILA's VOW is the highly anticipated story of Jack and Lila from MY ENEMY, MY LOVE. This story is currently unpublished.

You can read excerpts of all three at my website: http://www.dianewylie.com.

~Diane (who loves, loves, loves historicals!!!)

Karenne
September 18th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Thanks Diane!

I have written those down to look at for my TBB pile..just what I need more books...drools happily!

I think my all time favorite historical has to be Devil's Bride by Stephanie Laurens (paperback) That is my fall back book. You know..the one you read when you just want to read something 'comfortable and historical' I have a couple of books like that...all in different genres. :euro:

jennzilla
October 28th, 2006, 04:43 AM
I love the Regency! Julia Quinn is one of my favorite authors of all time. I have all her books LOL! So, yep, I'm a historical READER not a writer. I'd never be able to do one. I know that. I'm too well.. lazy, if you must know. However, I've been working on a western, that has surprised me. But a western for me is easy as I'm a redneck. Horses, cowboys, ropin and ridin the range.. pfth.
But, as a writer, I usually stick to paranormal, contemporaries and fantasy so the only research I do is surface stuff. I make up my own worlds. Historicals are my candy.. mmm like chocolate.. gimmie!

BonnieLass
January 2nd, 2007, 11:38 PM
Wow! Not much going on at this thread. Historical is my FAVORITE! I love it all!

Jenn, Julia Quinn is awesome. I LOVE Colin Bridgerton!

Karenne
January 3rd, 2007, 01:43 AM
Bridgertons! I love them! They are awesome!

I also love Stephanie Lauren's Cynster crew! (sigh...love em)

jennzilla
January 13th, 2007, 11:03 PM
I just finished On the Way to the Wedding. I loved it. I think that's it for the Bridgertons, though. :swoon: Julia did right by them.. and the epilogue was one of her best. I always cry on those, but this one, well, I hooted with laughter. I love the Bridgertons..I'm gonna miss them.

Karenne
January 16th, 2007, 03:08 PM
NO it is not the last one of the Bridgertons. Say it isn't so!:realmad:

jennzilla
January 16th, 2007, 08:20 PM
NO it is not the last one of the Bridgertons. Say it isn't so!:realmad:

I won't say it.. She did though. :swoon:

I think she has some Ebooks out on them, but basically.. I think that's it.
Alas poor Bridgertons we knew them well..parting is such sweet sorrow.
Ok, that didn't even go together, but it sounds so dang sad, don't it? :cry:

Angewl_73
February 4th, 2007, 05:27 PM
If I can get attached to the characters, I can ready just about any type of romance.
If the cover sounds good then I will give it a try.

There have only been a few I started and was not able to finish.

So I guess, the genre doesnt matter to me as long as I feel a connection.

BarbaraSheridan
February 23rd, 2007, 11:06 PM
Some of my favorite historicals are Susan Johnson's Braddock-Black series. In fact her books "inspired" me to my own historical series.

Another keeper of mine is Kat Martin's Sweet Vengeance.

ladybecklyn
March 4th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I like Bertrice Small. Her books are long and they include so many different scenes and culture. I think her books are considered historical.

Sela Carsen
March 25th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Can I say -- thank goodness! That's not to say I didn't enjoy them, because I really did. Julia Quinn brought me back to Regencies after a long absence and she's one of the few Regency authors I can still read.

Maybe it's just me, but I can only take a series for so long. After about 5 books, I'm done. Need to move on to something new and fresh. And it wouldn't surprise me if sometimes authors felt the same way!

ohiofem44511
March 25th, 2007, 10:23 PM
What can I say. LOVE THEM. They take you away to others places and times and it seems I can read one of the historical romance novels better than I can a series romance or a contemporary one. Don't know why. Elizabeth Lowell got me started with her medieval trilogy and Nora Hess way back int he day. I love the Scottish and Irish themed romance novels too. Not to mention Karen Marie Moning's books.

TrustMe_2_Forget
March 30th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Us fans of historicals are here we just are quiet (not really)...or maybe we have just been lacking in our written communications!!!!

ladybecklyn
March 31st, 2007, 09:38 AM
I was first introduced to historical romances by a book I found in the bathroom when I was 15-16. My dad is a romance book reader, yes it sounds weird. He reads ALL the time, he can read a book so quickly. Well anyway the book was Comanche Rain by Genell Dellin. So I proceeded to get as many of her books as possible. Then I picked up another of my dad's books and it was a Johanna Lindsey. I proceeded to get all of her books. I found a Betrice Small book at a Thrift Shop and well, you see the pattern. I am looking for anothe really good author. Love them. I just love reading in general, must have got them from someone I know......;)

Rebecca_Goings
April 1st, 2007, 03:15 PM
I absolutely ADORE historical romance, and my fave is the western. There's just something about cowboys and Indians! Unfortunately, it seems only a handful of authors are writing them. :(

And you know, aside from the New York books, the eBook westerns all seem to be cowboys everywhere you look. I have yet to see an Indian romance that isn't my own. :p (I mean that in the most non-bragging way)... Even my book isn't "traditional", as there's time travel involved.

I'm writing another western novella for Samhain about an Indian hero who was raised as a white man after his village was massacred. I'm just kinda interested to see if the public at large wants more Indian-related romance in eBooks. ON EAGLE'S WINGS, my other Indian novella, has done very well for itself while my cowboy historical, IN YOUR ARMS, only so-so.

Writing another Indian is kind of an experiment for me. We shall see how it pans out... :)

~~Becka

Sela Carsen
April 3rd, 2007, 10:15 AM
I'm not a huge Western fan, but I've discovered that I really enjoy Beth Williamson's Malloy series from Samhain.

I love reading historicals, but I got bored with Regency after Regency so, I wrote my own historical! And I set it somewhere I adored -- Venice during the Italian Renaissance. It was a ton of fun to write and it's very lighthearted. It's called The Virgin Courtesan from Forbidden Publications.

I'd love to read more historicals set in unusual places and times. For instance, I just adore Michelle Style's Roman and ancient British settings for her Mills & Boon/Harlequin Historicals. The Gladiator's Honor was fascinating and I'm eagerly awaiting Sold & Seduced.

What are some settings and time periods you'd enjoy reading about?

Rebecca_Goings
April 3rd, 2007, 11:32 AM
Sela,

I enjoy the random Regency, but like you, I got tired of the "rake at the ball" plots or the "highwayman that turns out to be Lord So-in-So" (who's probably also a rake...)

I've often said, though, I'd love to see this time period "shaken" a bit, maybe with some paranormal. A haunted estate a la "Hound of the Baskervilles" maybe? A vamp at the ball? I'd read something along those lines. But whenever I pick up an historical, unless the plot really intrigues me, I do pass on Regencies.

I LOVE medievals, despite the unwashed bodies and likely bad breath. LOL I'd also love to read stories set in ancient Egypt or Persia. I want an "Aladdin" type romance. That would be awesome. I'd read more "Indiana Jones-ish" romances as well, or maybe along the lines of "The Mummy". Action, adventure, intrigue, romance... I love exotic locales of steamy jungles and ancient ruins. :)

~~Becka
http://www.RebeccaGoings.com

Lainey
April 3rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
Well I love historicals and the Civil War ones sound fantabulous I want em... and as for cowboys bring em on and cowboy up baby make sure they look yummy in and out of the saddle haha...

I love Regencies and others too and how about the BASTION CLUB forget the Cynsters I want the rest of the Bastions including their leader he should be the last one to get his HEA since we know he is someone prominent and probably royalty of sort and so neat I love him.

So yeppers I like em all and my bookcases are groaning and me too so many books to buy and so little money to get them and then time to read em .. oops no time for that either with us on here hahaha or at least not much for ourselves... but is ok I have lots to fall back on for favorites.

MiaBama
April 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM
Rebecca have you read Bonnie Vanak's books? they are Egyptian theme(mostly, pyramids area)

buckeye14
April 4th, 2007, 08:56 AM
I love to read historicals and the Regency books. It is interesting to read about London and the goings on in the ton.

Karenne
April 4th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Well I agree with ya'll. I love regency historicals...BUT they have to have strong female characters that are smart :detective: There is a avon book about 'lady spies' by Jenna Petersen. I posted it in the main are of the Historicals...cover, blurb, excert and all. Yes, I stole it from her site. :roflmao:

Rebecca_Goings
April 4th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Rebecca have you read Bonnie Vanak's books? they are Egyptian theme(mostly, pyramids area)

I have not but I desperately want to! They are on my TBB list. I just rarely have time to read anymore. **sobs**

~~Becka

Rebecca_Goings
April 4th, 2007, 12:29 PM
I have a question for you readers about Westerns in my own personal forum here on Coffee Time. Click the following link to answer:

http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/board/showthread.php?t=994

:)

~~Becka

ladybecklyn
April 5th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I would love to read more historicals set in other places, more exotic places. I do get tired of the general european or american settings. I would love to read that book set in Italy, or Egypt. I would also love to read some set in some Asian countries. Any help?

AnneWhitfield
April 16th, 2007, 11:56 PM
I've read hsitorical for 20 years and I write them.

My favourite are UK regional sagas, who have such strong heroines, and they are mainly working class with normal problems and issues.

I do enjoy medieval mainstream too, like Elizabeth Chadwick and Sharon Penman.

regards,
Anne Whitfield
http://www.annewhitfield.com

Lainey
April 17th, 2007, 05:35 AM
I love that period also other countries, centuries and the rest, historicals I have found can be fun, entertaining and educational as well. Love those in ancient times and foreign cultures as well as the celts and Egypt is still ok haha. I do love historicals of all types.

denisepatrick
April 19th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I love to read historicals and the Regency books. It is interesting to read about London and the goings on in the ton.
I love Regencies, too. I was nearly desolate when Zebra announced they were going to end their line. Those "short and sweet" Regencies are the ones I prefer. I read the occasional Laurens (I have ALL of her Cynster books and some of the Bastion Club) and read all of Julia Quinn's (have the entire Bridgerton series) and Amanda Quick's, but when I wanted a nice quick read, I used to pick up a Zebra. I miss them.

I'm not much of a western fan, but if it catches my eye, I'll read it. I've read a few in the past year - including some of Becka's. Actually, if the story is interesting and set in the past - I'll read it.

But, I write Regencies and Victorians, and the occasional contemporary Inspirational. I'm currently working on a Regency Inspirational because Steeple Hill is starting a historical line. I'm not sure if I can stay within the narrow guidelines, but I'm going to try. We'll just see how it goes and what it ends up looking like.

Aline de Chevigny
May 6th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Historicals rock, I love Lisa Kleypas. The very first book of hers I picked up was Again the Magic and I did that because the heroine had my name hehe. Now I own almost all of her books.

Another is Suzanne Enoch, her book Englands Perfect Hero sh9owed me a side of a Hero that I quite enjoyed seeing and try to incorporate into my own characters.

I can go on and on and on LOL Like The Accidental Duchess by Jessica Benson. That book was hot and hillarious.

Aline

BarbaraSheridan
May 6th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I've jsut done up a pdf version of my out of print western historical Sweet Medicine. You can read a sample and get the d/l link at my LiveJournal

http://b-sheridan.livejournal.com/32291.html

Enjoy!

Karenne
May 6th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Ohhh! Hey are you going to be at the eloop chat bragging about your book! You should!

May 9th Western Day
All Day Long on the Coffee Readers Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/karendevinkaren/ :balloon:

Aline de Chevigny
May 6th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Karenne wher would we find a list of chat theme days?

Aline

Karenne
May 7th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Good Question. Those are always listed in the newsletter that goes out on the first day of each month.

http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/CTRNewsletter/

They are also listed on the Yahoo groups

(Chatters) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/karenfindoutaboutnewbooks/

(Adult) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/karendevinkaren/

For this month..here is the schedule:

May 2th Naughty All Day - Any Genre (Rating R) Chatters group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/karendevinkaren/)
May 9th Western Day (Rated PG) Main group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/karenfindoutaboutnewbooks/)
May 16 Fantasy and Time Travel (Rated R) Erotica group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/karendevinkaren/)
May 23 Inspirational Books (Rated PG) Chatters group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/karenfindoutaboutnewbooks/)
May 30th Ménage a trois - Our Forums (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/karenfindoutaboutnewbooks/)

Aline de Chevigny
May 7th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks Karenne,

Aline:notworthy:

BarbaraSheridan
May 8th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Ohhh! Hey are you going to be at the eloop chat bragging about your book! You should!

May 9th Western Day
All Day Long on the Coffee Readers Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/karendevinkaren/ :balloon:

Did you mean me? I can do that---make it I can try to do that (lucky lucky me I babysit my granaddaughter who has learned to walk. She is a little :devil: like her mama was).

Aline de Chevigny
May 8th, 2007, 07:18 PM
LOL she's into everythign and doesn't lisen when you tell her no?

Hehehe

Aline :errrr:

Karenne
May 8th, 2007, 07:25 PM
snort...can't imagine ANY kid not listening :nah:

Lainey
May 8th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Very nice Barbara and yeah definitely safe it for this week .... but in the meantime thanks a bunch... am happy you are all here and hey you need a forum thread .. hint hint ... let's get everyone their own the more the merrier... yeah

Lainey

Karenne
May 8th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Went to our chat tonight that Lainey moderated (you are so good) and this book by Mary Reed McCall...really sounds good!:teacher:

Only a lie will save his life . . .
Sentenced to the gallows for trying to sell the treasures of the Knights Templar, Sir Alexander de Ashby has one chance for survival. The scoundrel must impersonate the late Earl of Marston, to whom he bears an uncanny resemblance, and infiltrate the lord's border castle to earn his reprieve. But first he must convince the earl's beautiful Scottish bride that his rightful place is in her bed.
But only love can save his soul.
Relieved that the story of her long-absent husband's death was false--and enticed by a wild, sensuous side of him she had never experienced before--Lady Elizabeth cautiously welcomes "the earl" back into her heart, unaware that the breathtaking imposter intends to vanish once his mission is complete. But escape may be impossible even after his secret is revealed. For now Alexander burns for the proud, remarkable lady...and desires nothing more than to live--and die, if he must--for a glorious love born of deception and sin.

<HR color=#0744ac SIZE=1>http://www.maryreedmccall.com/images/cv_062007.jpg THE TEMPLAR'S SEDUCTION
Avon Books
The Templar Knights (Book Three)
ISBN: 978-0-06-117044
June 2007

Lainey
June 4th, 2007, 11:08 PM
.... I remember that one yummy ... definitely a must read for everyone though.

Lainey

DianeWylie
June 5th, 2007, 06:16 PM
That cover draws me in!

Diane

virgo33
June 5th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I have that McCall book in my TBR. Though I believe I heard she is another not going to write another genre.

I love historical and regencies, and especially medievals. I don't even care if they aren't all that accurate in the history if you make me love your characters. I enjoyed Quinn's Bridgertons, too, though some say not all that accurate, but she made many of us love them.

Loretta Chase always draws you in with her characters. And if you haven't read new author Elizabeth Hoyt, definitely pick up her books.

peg360
June 14th, 2007, 10:55 AM
i love histoical romance books. thats about all i read.

Anita Davison
July 31st, 2007, 07:13 AM
Hi Ginger, lovely to see you here. It may be a bit late, but I just thought I would endorse Sparta Rose for you - It's a lovely story and anyone who loves novels about 19th century pioneer country will enjoy Ginger's book - it's lovely

There you go Ginger, highlight the three uses of the word 'lovely' and send it back with a 'you can do better note'. She's a great editor too guys!!

*Sarah*
August 24th, 2007, 12:25 AM
I love history... so if it has history in it... ill read it!!!

NessyPerth
August 24th, 2007, 04:16 AM
oooo have you read Cross Stitch (outlander for the US readers i think) by Diana Gabaldon? It is probably one of the most unique historical/time travel/romance books i have ever read. I loved everything about it, it took me on such an adventure and such a wild rollarcoaster of emotions.

If you havn't read it i recommend it a LOT. I have to type out one of my favourite paragraphs from it....

"The rest of the journey passed uneventfully, if you consider it uneventful to ride fifteen miles on horseback over rough country at night, without benefit of roads, in company with kilted men armed to the teeth, and sharing a pony with a wounded man. At least we were not set upon by highwaymen, we encountered no wild beasts and it didn't rain. By the standards I was becoming used to, it was quite dull".

Quite dull indeed! LMAO i'd hate to know what exciting is ;)

wordsmith
October 17th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Nessy,
Regarding Gabaldon's book ... you know it is only the first in a series. I found them interesting enough to read the lot of them but not enough to keep me awake at night reading them. There are some intriguing twists throughout, however, and definitely worth a look.

BonnieLass
October 17th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I am a HUGE Diana Gabaldon fan. If you liked Outlander, you'll love the others. They are among the best books I have ever read.

Jan Alyce Avery
November 16th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I love history (just read David McCullough's wonderful "1776") and so it's just a logical step to historical romances. For years, I've collected classic historical romances, including anything I can find by Rafael Sabatini, the man who wrote "Captain Blood." (Remember the Errol Flynn movie?) "Jane Eyre" is one of my favorite "gothic" romances, though we should remember that it was written as a "contemporary" LOL--are they ever going to make a decent movie version?--though I have to admit, I hated "Wuthering Heights." (Sorry, but eternally dark brooding heroes with no sense of humor are not my cup of tea.)

I discovered Georgette Heyer's wonderful Regency romances in high school and my favorite is "Cotillion" probably because the hero goes against every romance novel stereotype. You just got to love--and root for!--"Freddy."

I'm an unashamed Anglophile and I love the medieval period, so I picked that era for my first romance novel, Shadowed Knight, which is being published by Samhaim December 4th. Although I tried to make it reasonably historically accurate, I also tried to make it fairly personal and intimate, the first, I hope, in a series of books about a valley I call Warnmark. No kings or princes in this book, but there are two romances for the price of one and characters that I tried to make as well-rounded and human as I could. (All my main characters have a sense of humor!) You can read excerpts at my website.

Jan Alyce Avery
Author, Shadowed Knight
www.samhainpublishing.com (http://www.samhainpublishing.com)
www.JanAlyceAvery.com (http://www.JanAlyceAvery.com)

candaceclayton
January 10th, 2008, 01:38 AM
I will read anything historical! I love Diana Gabaldon too!

Erynlouise
February 1st, 2008, 09:17 PM
Ive said this somewhere before however it fits here as well, my first ever historical was Amanda Quick rendezvous she got me hooked on historicals and I have never looked back I sometimes branch out into other romance genres but historical romance is the backbone for me.. The very first Julia Quinn novel I read was to catch an heiress.. Jane Feather's work is another one of my favs along with Catherine Coulter and if Im going American history, Norah Hess or Bobbi Smith.Daisy Love Smilie

Minnette
February 4th, 2008, 03:00 AM
It is interesting that you bring this up...I just yesterday started a new Yahoo Group called Rome-Antic Worlds about historical romances. I had 25 new members in 6 hours and there are over 260 posts on it in less than 24. I'm hoping this is a good sign because I write historicals myself. I think there is a lot of interest in it still...I just think its going into a new vein and expanding a bit...At least I hope so, 'cause I love it myself.

Tatiana
February 5th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Interested to see Becka's comment that nobody writes westerns any more. I have one coming out from Resplencence Publishing in April. It's called CIRCLE STAR and there is a sub-plot love story between a white girl and a half-breed Indian. After the book comes out, I'd be curious to learn if readers prefer the main hero (he's a cowboy, sort of) or the secondary hero, who is part Apache. I never set out to write a western, I wanted to write about the 1898 Klondike gold rush (that book is coming out later this year from Resplendence Publishing) but once I had researched the period, I got drawn in and the story almost wrote itself. I fell so in love with the Old West that I'm now writing two sequels and spend my sunday afternoons wathcing old westerns on TV.

Georgie Lee
February 6th, 2008, 02:33 AM
My first ever historical was A Knight In Shining Armor. After that I was hooked. I also love Amanda Quick and Terri Brisbin.

Minnette
February 6th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I like westerns, but I have to admit, I'm more of an ancient history fan...of course. Becka's westerns are really good...have you read any? If not, take a look.

KellyKirch
February 11th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Me too. I'm a huge Julia Quinn fan. Now I write Regencies for Resplendence and Cerridwen.

Kelly Kirch
www.kellykirch.com

Karenne
February 11th, 2008, 12:39 PM
ohhh Love Julia Quinn and Amanda Quick! I like the lighter ones sometimes. But I do love the detailed and harder core historicals.

(off to find an Amanda Quick to read):whistling:

KellyKirch
February 11th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Hard core, eh Karenne? LOL. Mine are light and fun with adventure thrown in for good measure. I personally don't like tear jerkers so I stay away from that in my own writing. Unless of course your crying because I made you laugh. ;) That's a whole 'nuther kind of cry.

Julie Garwood is another author I look for. I used to read Jude Deveraux but her more recent stuff is contemporary and I don't care for it as much as I did her historicals. That woman could make me laugh. Julia Quinn picks up the slack now.

Kelly
kellykirch.com/kkirch.blogspot.com

Karenne
February 11th, 2008, 01:42 PM
hmm...maybe hardcore wasn't the word I was thinking...I meant like mystery and intrigue and spys and stuff like that (wink)

I like Amanda Quicks because they are easy and light. I am going to have to check yours out. I would love to have another author like that on my list!

DrinkingCoffeeahhh

KellyKirch
February 11th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I'd be honored. It isn't in my nature to turn down a potential sale. :biggrin: I look forward to hearing what you think of it. You'll have to tell me.

Kelly
KellyKirch.com/kkirch.blogspot.com

candaceclayton
February 11th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I love Amanda Quick! Has anyone read any of Judith Tarr's Egyptian Historicals? Gotta love those Pharoahs!

Karenne
February 11th, 2008, 04:36 PM
No I haven't. Tell me a little about it!

Georgie Lee
February 11th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I love Amanda Quick! Has anyone read any of Judith Tarr's Egyptian Historicals? Gotta love those Pharoahs!

I haven't heard Judith Tarr's series but I will have to check it out. I love Ancient Egypt.

KellyKirch
February 12th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Tonight from 6-10p EST RIGHT HERE the authors of Resplendence Publishing will be chatting and giving away prizes!!! Yes, historical authors too.

Don't forget...
Time for Love is first to release by Cerridwen on Valentine's Day and Marriage Mart by Resplendence is on March 11th. So here's the deal:

The RP book is a Regency where the heroine does not want to be married, but her betrothal is set. She does everything in her power to stop the plans, including her attempt to pass herself off as a young lord (Marriage Mart, RP 3/11/08).[/URL]
http://bp0.blogger.com/_KKZCJc9KSho/R6_WUmhVV0I/AAAAAAAAATY/_BzEIXI63m8/s200/067.JPG (http://bp2.blogger.com/_KKZCJc9KSho/R6h5T7H9ARI/AAAAAAAAARE/Q3RpBe3fvRc/s1600-h/068.JPG)

In 300 words or less, send me a true story about the craziest thing you did to get a crush's attention or to rid yourself of someone else's crush.

Send entries to [U]KellyKirch@Gmail.com (KellyKirch@Gmail.com) with "Kelly's Contest" in the subject line. Time is running out. You have til midnight after Valentine's day to turn in your entries! Get yours in ASAP.

Also, there is a Resplendence Publishing chat tonight on CoffeeTimeRomances.com from 6-10p EST. There will be the whole stable of authors and prize giveaways galore. If you get a chance stop in and learn something about this new publisher who works for the author.

elainelowe
February 13th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Hi Kelly! Best of wishes on your release! You are phenomenal and I know you will have big sales!

KellyKirch
February 13th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Awww. Elaine!!! You are so sweet you sweet sweet thing. Daisy Love Smilie

thank you for the ongoing support. You froggies mean the world to me.

elainelowe
February 13th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Hi everyone,

I still think there is a huge swath of people who love historicals out there. There's just something magical about living vicariously in another time. We just need to get more people into ebooks!

I love reading and writing all kinds of time periods. I always have a soft spot for Regency, as some of the first books I read were in this period. My first books books, Scandalous Profession and Match Made by Moonlight, are in the Regency. I love the history, the speech, the rules to make and break, the Napoleanic wars...everything!

But books set during ancient times are a wonderful way to make something come alive. I just signed a contract for Lady Six Sky, a book set among the Mayans in 682 AD, based an a real Queen of Naranjo. And my 1920's fantasy, Enchant the Dawn, will be coming out in April!

Long live the historical!

candaceclayton
February 13th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I have read two of her books and they are awesome. One of this is based on the one and only female pharoah! I highly recommend it!

elainelowe
February 13th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I have read two of her books and they are awesome. One of this is based on the one and only female pharoah! I highly recommend it!

Oh, Hatshepsut would be a fabulous story! I have to go looking for that one. When I was writing Lady Six Sky, her story reminded me a lot of the Female Pharaoh - portrayed in statues like a man, with full authority, that sort of thing. Egypt is very cool - I hope someday to have the guts to do a story there!

candaceclayton
February 14th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Oh, Hatshepsut would be a fabulous story! I have to go looking for that one. When I was writing Lady Six Sky, her story reminded me a lot of the Female Pharaoh - portrayed in statues like a man, with full authority, that sort of thing. Egypt is very cool - I hope someday to have the guts to do a story there!

I think that it is called Pillar of Fire. It is really good! I have read it twice already!

Candace

Georgie Lee
February 17th, 2008, 11:20 PM

Hatshepsut and Ancient Egypt by Miriam Greenblatt is a great non-fiction book about the Queen.

candaceclayton
February 17th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Hatshepsut and Ancient Egypt by Miriam Greenblatt is a great non-fiction book about the Queen.

Thank you Georgie Lee! I will check out that book!

Candace

Patricia Bates
March 15th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Hmm, there are so very many of them out there! I've read just about every time frame you can imagine from Victorian to Regency to American History and I've loved all of them...some more than others. My fav authors of all time are Nora Roberts, Heather Graham, and a few others but I haven't gotten them in front of me in a while.

I write historical romances so I know what appeals to me as an author and reader. Can't beat history, the romance feels so much more in depth and real!

NancyHenderson
September 22nd, 2008, 09:21 PM
I love American set historicals. I'm not finding too many in bookstores, thank God for e-books! Although at RT this year, the historical panel swore they were on a big comeback. *fingers crossed*

elainelowe
September 22nd, 2008, 10:51 PM
I love American set historicals. I'm not finding too many in bookstores, thank God for e-books! Although at RT this year, the historical panel swore they were on a big comeback. *fingers crossed*

Which time period are you looking in? Colonial? Civil War? I haven't seen many lately. I know I've written some for time period I love, like the 1920's and the 1940's, But I'd love to work on a Colonial or post-Revolution story.

Elaine Lowe
www.elainelowenovels.com

NancyHenderson
October 13th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Which time period are you looking in? Colonial? Civil War? I haven't seen many lately. I know I've written some for time period I love, like the 1920's and the 1940's, But I'd love to work on a Colonial or post-Revolution story.

Elaine Lowe
www.elainelowenovels.com (http://www.elainelowenovels.com)

I love Colonial romances, I'd like to read a Civil War romance, haven't seen one in a very long time. And I always love the cowboys and a good Native American hero!