PDA

View Full Version : Pet Allergies

Karenne
April 19th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Yes, it is Spring and it is time for allergies...especially Pet Allergies. Anyone having this problem?

My dog who is 14 this year usually looses a little bit of fur every spring and has a couple of bald spots (he is old and a cocker spaniel) but this year all of the dots connected and he is BALD on his back (sobs)

It is so sad!

Any suggestions? I have been putting lavender on his back and that seems to have taken care of the irritation and the redness...but I need help!

maura
April 19th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Hi Karenne,

What your dog has sounds like a hot spot, is it? My golden is prone to them, last year we had one that was bigger than the palm of my hand! My vet finally gave me his secret recipe--you would think he would do that first, I've been going to him for 25 years! Anyway here it is: Make a cup of weak tea
Dissolve two regular aspirin in it
Let it get to room temperature
Add a shot of rubbing alcohol

Dab on with a cotton ball a couple of times a day. It does not have to be refrigerated but i would shake it up before using-I usually store it in an old plastic Chinese soup container.

If your dog is just allergic, benadryl works or you can take your dog to the vet for a cortizone shot, that will hold him for over two weeks. The hot spot remedy really works, about five of my friends will testify to it!

Maura

Linda L Lattimer
May 31st, 2006, 06:07 PM
I have three daughters, and only one does not have animals. I cannot go over to the girls to visit because of the sweet pets. And I am tired of taking allergy shots. I break out really bad and my breathing almost ceases, so the doc said just stay away. I cannot ask my daughters to get rid of their animals, I would never do that. I use to have a lab a long time ago that is no longer around but Lady didn't bother me much, anymore carpet fibers and animals love to play havoc to me and my skin. I still love animals and yes, even at my age, have many stuffed animals to take their place.

Hugs Linda :-[ ;) ;D

tonjasturn
June 12th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Everyone in my house is allergic to everything!!!!!!!!! So we decided to get a pet that noone was allergic to. We have 4 snakes and 2 geckos.Thants not counting the 4 or 5 we have running loose in the house because they got out of their tanks and we can't find them.......lol. Everyone in the house adores them and they are just like part of the family....

Tonja

Linda L Lattimer
June 28th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Snakes, Tonja? What kind are they? The little one, really big ones???

Linda :)

tonjasturn
July 8th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I have 1 boa, 1 ball python, 1 king snake ( who is currently somewhere in my house), and 7 kingsnake eggs........lol

Tonja ;D ;D ;D

Dewdrop
June 27th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Karenne, had you recently given him a bath? I always ask as my dog was allergic to dog shampoo. I used natural soap for people and it worked wonders.

Karenne
June 28th, 2007, 07:01 AM
I bought special shampoo. The one that I got that worked was an organic mix. I dont' remember what it was called. Sorry about that.

maura
August 24th, 2007, 02:09 PM
It is going to sound strange, but I use Head and Shoulders Plus for dry skin, it is cheaper than special pet shampoo and really works on that itchy skin.

Maura

Karenne, had you recently given him a bath? I always ask as my dog was allergic to dog shampoo. I used natural soap for people and it worked wonders.

jennzilla
September 30th, 2007, 02:56 AM
I have 1 boa, 1 ball python, 1 king snake ( who is currently somewhere in my house), and 7 kingsnake eggs........lol

Tonja ;D ;D ;D

Somewhere? Oh nononooo. :arghhhh: I'm fine with snakes if I know where they are at all times. Not this vague somewhere. As for lizards, well, um..no. And Karenne, this is not the time or place to start on that frogs vs Jenn thing. Gack!

sjwilling
October 26th, 2007, 03:43 AM
Probably doesn't apply to dog owners. But apparently for cat owners with allergies they've found that its more often than not an allergy to the cat litter. (the litter packs all have a warning about it on them) I've had several friends who've had bad cat allergies and after they changed to a natural litter, like pine, their allergies vanished.

It's not something that is heavily advertised.

S.J.

Jennifer
November 16th, 2007, 01:18 PM

Tonja ;D ;D ;D

How are snakes as pets? What do they do all day? Are they active? I don't think I would ever own one because my daughter is terrified of them, but I think it is really cool.

Linda L Lattimer
November 16th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I am afraid of snakes even though I think they are quite fascinating.

Linda

Dani
November 17th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Jennifer, snakes are fine pets. They don't do much at all actually except slither around the cage, sleep in the heat area and eat.

If you ever want a pretty easy snake try a water garter. They eat small feeder fish (you can get at any pet store) and you don't have to worry about getting pinkies to feed it. We have a snake now that's about 8 inches long and it's a ringnick snake. It likes to hid in the plant that we have in the cage and so far it's been eating the crickets that I've been feeding it.